Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Ryan Shawcross (Stoke City)

Read 7868 times
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Re: Ryan Shawcross (Stoke City)
      Reply #23: Aug 15, 2011 02:51:22 pm
      We are looking for a long term replacement for Carra, buying this lad would be an insult to the man.

Utd reject nowhere near good enough.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #24: Aug 16, 2011 11:13:01 pm
      Dalglish to Offer £10m Plus Poulsen for Stoke Centre-Back
      Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is keen to tie up a deal for a commanding centre-back before the end of the transfer window and is set to continue in his vein of signing young English players.

The latest player to be linked with a move to Anfield is Stoke's giant centre-back Ryan Shawcross, who has earned a reputation as one of the toughest defenders in the Premier League.

The former Manchester United youth player has been linked with a move to Liverpool on a number of occasions and Dalglish would like to find some cover with doubts over the fitness of Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger.

Sotirios Kyrgiakos and Jamie Carragher also coming towards the end of theie careers and Dalglish knows that he will need to bring a young defender to the club.

Liverpool have already had an initial offer of £10million turned down by Stoke and with funds limited they will now try and offer a player-plus-cash deal.

According to caughtoffside.co.uk, Dalglish may now offer the services of central midfielder Christian Poulsen plus £10m for the 23-year-old defender.

The Denmark international has been told that he is surplus to requirements at Anfield and along with Alberto Aquilani, David Ngog and Joe Cole has been linked with a summer exit.

Stoke do not want to part with their talented young defender, but should Liverpool keep pursuing Shawcross then the player may find it hard to turn down a move to a club that hope to be pushing for a top four finish.

sportsvibe.co.uk

TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #25: Aug 16, 2011 11:16:41 pm
      Pulis turned that offer down already, he said either we pay £8m cash or £12m + Poulsen, take it or leave it ;)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #26: Aug 16, 2011 11:18:29 pm
      What"s left on his contract? it might not be a bad deal atall by the looks of it , if true.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #27: Aug 16, 2011 11:18:31 pm

As I have said on another thread, I am not the biggest fan of Shawcross, but if we can get him for £10million and unload Poulsen from our wage bill in the process, I am willing to reconsider it ... Ryan Shawcross is pretty limited as a player, but he has some qualities that our defence is lacking ...
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,527 posts | 224 
      Reply #28: Aug 16, 2011 11:26:29 pm
      Those complaining about Shawcross need to take a look at our defence

Terminator has become like the T4 version of the film, Soto is no way near good enough and agger is very injury prone. Shawcross would be a very good addition to our team and I think he would probably go on to become our best cb if we got him. We really do need to sort out that area, its a huge weakness.

Question is how much are the owners willing to bring in while the deadwood is still in the club

likes of Cole, Maxi, Poulsen, Soto and Degen are on big wages but are useless, they must be taking out at least 10m per season on wages
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #29: Aug 16, 2011 11:30:03 pm
      Pulis turned that offer down already, he said either we pay £8m cash or £12m + Poulsen, take it or leave it ;)
      :lmao:
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #30: Aug 17, 2011 06:33:29 am
      I entered a pub raffle to win a Stoke shirt signed by Shawcross and came second, winning a football (not signed). Hope we don't get him now or I'll be gutted I missed out, ;D.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #31: Aug 17, 2011 07:57:47 am
      We are looking for a long term replacement for Carra, buying this lad would be an insult to the man.

Utd reject nowhere near good enough.
      Peter Beardsley!!
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #32: Aug 17, 2011 01:32:05 pm
      Not so keen on this fella as Cahill.  Has a tendency to be, shall we say, rather brutal and sometimes reckless in the tackling stakes.  Am happy to be proved wrong though.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #33: Aug 17, 2011 02:00:55 pm

Dalglish lines up Shawcross offer

17 August 2011

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is believed to be ready to offer Stoke £10m plus Christian Poulsen to land Ryan Shawcross.

The Reds are after a proven centre-back and have been linked heavily with Birmingham's Scott Dann this summer.

However, no deal has materialised for him and now Dalglish is looking elsewhere as he looks for more competition for places in defence.

Dalglish has Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Sotirios Kyrgiakos as options while Martin Skrtel is currently out injured.

However, he is keen to recruit another centre-back and believes Shawcross could be the answer.

Liverpool have watched the Potters skipper for the past 12 months but have so far failed to come up with an offer suitable to land the 23-year-old.

It is thought a cash plus player deal may tempt Stoke chief Tony Pulis into doing a deal.

Pulis does not want to lose Shawcross but may be forced into agreeing to the transfer if the player makes it clear he wants to move.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/08/17/Dalglish-lines-up-Shawcross-offer/gnid-105026/
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34: Aug 17, 2011 03:12:04 pm
      Dalglish to Offer £10m Plus Poulsen for Stoke Centre-Back
      Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is keen to tie up a deal for a commanding centre-back before the end of the transfer window and is set to continue in his vein of signing young English players.

The latest player to be linked with a move to Anfield is Stoke's giant centre-back Ryan Shawcross, who has earned a reputation as one of the toughest defenders in the Premier League.

The former Manchester United youth player has been linked with a move to Liverpool on a number of occasions and Dalglish would like to find some cover with doubts over the fitness of Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger.

Sotirios Kyrgiakos and Jamie Carragher also coming towards the end of theie careers and Dalglish knows that he will need to bring a young defender to the club.

Liverpool have already had an initial offer of £10million turned down by Stoke and with funds limited they will now try and offer a player-plus-cash deal.

According to caughtoffside.co.uk, Dalglish may now offer the services of central midfielder Christian Poulsen plus £10m for the 23-year-old defender.

The Denmark international has been told that he is surplus to requirements at Anfield and along with Alberto Aquilani, David Ngog and Joe Cole has been linked with a summer exit.

Stoke do not want to part with their talented young defender, but should Liverpool keep pursuing Shawcross then the player may find it hard to turn down a move to a club that hope to be pushing for a top four finish.

sportsvibe.co.uk

Dalglish lines up Shawcross offer

17 August 2011

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is believed to be ready to offer Stoke £10m plus Christian Poulsen to land Ryan Shawcross.

The Reds are after a proven centre-back and have been linked heavily with Birmingham's Scott Dann this summer.

However, no deal has materialised for him and now Dalglish is looking elsewhere as he looks for more competition for places in defence.

Dalglish has Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Sotirios Kyrgiakos as options while Martin Skrtel is currently out injured.

However, he is keen to recruit another centre-back and believes Shawcross could be the answer.

Liverpool have watched the Potters skipper for the past 12 months but have so far failed to come up with an offer suitable to land the 23-year-old.

It is thought a cash plus player deal may tempt Stoke chief Tony Pulis into doing a deal.

Pulis does not want to lose Shawcross but may be forced into agreeing to the transfer if the player makes it clear he wants to move.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/08/17/Dalglish-lines-up-Shawcross-offer/gnid-105026/

Spot the difference.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: Aug 17, 2011 03:15:38 pm
      People can spin it anyway you want he is an extremely limited centre half that hoofs anything that comes near him football or man. He is cumbersome in the tackle and can be turned extremely easily. Not what the club should be looking at to be honest the only thing i see going for him is he is english
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #36: Aug 17, 2011 03:18:06 pm
      I'd honestly prefer to see Kelly given a chance at CB rather than Shawcross come in, absolutely no real quality about him, just an ordinary player.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #37: Aug 17, 2011 03:20:59 pm
      I like him...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #38: Aug 17, 2011 03:48:00 pm
      People can spin it anyway you want he is an extremely limited centre half that hoofs anything that comes near him football or man. He is cumbersome in the tackle and can be turned extremely easily. Not what the club should be looking at to be honest the only thing I see going for him is he is english

Well, he certainly has his limitations, but he also has some qualities ... He is good in the air, both in his own and the opponents' box ... I don't think that he is an improvement over Agger or Skrtel, but he has a good fitness record, is a better player than Kyrgiakos, and is 9 years younger than Carragher ... For £10 million plus Poulsen off our wage bill, he will be an improvement to our squad ...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #39: Aug 17, 2011 03:58:20 pm
      I want someone to come in that is better than we have. I don't think paying 10million for a squad player is the way forward. Id be disappointed if this is the best option our scouting department can come up with. F**k sake our signing doesn't have to be english
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #40: Aug 17, 2011 03:59:37 pm
      People can spin it anyway you want he is an extremely limited centre half that hoofs anything that comes near him football or man. He is cumbersome in the tackle and can be turned extremely easily. Not what the club should be looking at to be honest the only thing I see going for him is he is english

I'm not that keen either, but he is 23 and playing for Stoke, where you have to be a no-nonsense defender.  We don't know how he'd play in a pass & move system, or how he will progress in the coming years. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #41: Aug 17, 2011 04:01:22 pm
      I know how he'd play in the pass and move system, someone would pass to him and he'd move the ball 60yards down the pitch.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #42: Aug 17, 2011 04:03:12 pm
      He would be a desperation signing really don't like him as a player
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #43: Aug 17, 2011 04:03:34 pm
      Think Shawcross will be no better then Carragher in terms of hoofing the ball, not his fault but its all his known, while playing with Stoke, his a great defender but if we are moaning about the easy option of lumping the ball, i don't think Shawcross will change that.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #44: Aug 17, 2011 04:30:27 pm
      It's not just that Vsuarez it's the level of quality a play exudes, I have a standard in my head that Liverpool is above the likes of Shawcross. Maybe I'm stuck in the past and we need to accept we can't attract the top stars at the moment but this is mid-table fodder not premiership / champs league class defender we're talking about. Godin would be my preferred option but I can see a case made for Cahill and fall back option of Dann anything lower than that standards is scraping the barrel for me.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #45: Aug 17, 2011 04:43:21 pm
      It's not just that Vsuarez it's the level of quality a play exudes, I have a standard in my head that Liverpool is above the likes of Shawcross. Maybe I'm stuck in the past and we need to accept we can't attract the top stars at the moment but this is mid-table fodder not premiership / champs league class defender we're talking about. Godin would be my preferred option but I can see a case made for Cahill and fall back option of Dann anything lower than that standards is scraping the barrel for me.

I rate Shawcross higher then Dann though, Dann for me does not look anything special and there is no doubt Shawcross is good at what he does, defending for me its just i don't want that type of defender, a no nonsense one, i would prefer a more rounded defender, someone who will be patient with the ball and pass it, and attempt to move the team forward, something Shawcross like Carragher does not offer.

Quick Reply