Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Darren Bent (Sunderland A.F.C)

Read 14396 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Darren Bent (Sunderland A.F.C)
      Reply #23: Dec 05, 2010 02:35:22 pm
      I voted for him too and actually was one of the ones on here who wasn't to keen on Torres!!

So glad we went for Fernando then but would still be very happy if we did make a move to sign Darren Bent.

:D I didn't know much about Torres at the time, so could only go on what i watched. Glad to see it's worked out for him in the end. Top player.

I wouldn't mind this.

Good goals record, plus scores against the big boys.

£21m does seem a tad over the top though.

It does seem steep, but i suppose any striker scoring goals in Europe is going to get a hefty fee. Fortunately, Bent has the record to back it and not just a couple months of form.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #24: Dec 05, 2010 02:38:02 pm
      I'd still rather spend £21M on Bent than £5M on Carlton Cole.

It is a very high price but could end up a more realistic £16-£18M if it were to materialise but any striker with a proven record in the league like Bent has will cost the best part of £20M.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #25: Dec 06, 2010 01:18:37 am
      F**k 21 mill , no thanks !

Good player but is not worth that figure , would have no chance at keeping that value.
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #26: Dec 07, 2010 06:22:31 am
      hes a great poacher but no way in hell do you spend 20 million+ pounds on him hes too one dimensional for my taste
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #27: Dec 07, 2010 11:21:57 am
      One dimensional?? He's a striker who scores goals....lots of goals. If that's the one dimension he's got then I'd be perfectly happy with him. 20 million does seem steep but at the end of the day he has been consistent, silenced all his critics and proved himself not to be just a one season wonder.
      piggott_mourinho
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #28: Dec 07, 2010 12:15:26 pm
      good player but wouldnt pay too much for him
      £10m at most
      deadly finisher and he would link up well nando
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #29: Dec 07, 2010 03:17:26 pm
      No source?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30: Dec 07, 2010 04:44:24 pm
      Would be happy if we got him, but Bruce would drop to his knees for Sir Phallus if he could (and probably will).

Proven goalscorer, can be a great support striker or lead the line in Nando's absence. 31 goals in 50 games for Sunderland. that is slightly above a 2 to 1 ratio. Not many strikers in the Premier League who have that, and the bonus is he's English! Sign him up!

Edit: and 34 goals in 53 games in all appearances for Sunderland. 26 years old.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #31: Dec 07, 2010 04:49:29 pm
      ^ Exactly Kevinho, his goal scoring record is underplayed somewhat. He's been fantastic throughout his career.

151 career goals in 351 appearances - 66 of those appearances off the bench.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #32: Dec 07, 2010 04:58:12 pm
      Would be a great signing. Proven goalscorer in the Premiership. Therefore no reason not to bring him in. As said he can lead the front line of needed or partner Nando aswell.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #33: Dec 07, 2010 05:14:51 pm
      Owes a lot to fat head and Sunderland for getting him out of Spurs. Has stated he wants to sign a contract recently so would be absolutely shocked if he came here. Plus with the inflated England player price would be probable a waste.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #34: Dec 07, 2010 05:41:58 pm
      The problem with Bent is he can only score goals and looks a bit ungainly at times.

He is a proven premier league goal scorer and that is something whch doesn't come cheap. If we could get him for below 20 million, then that is a good deal for us. If he fails, we could easily sell him back like we did Keane for a small hit.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: Dec 07, 2010 06:49:24 pm
      Not a fan of his to be honest, think the lad is very over rated, I think he has found his level at Sunderland, i'd prefer Gyan to be honest.

I think Bent all round game is extremely limited and probably why he never made it at Spurs or for England. I think he would be a massive flop here.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #36: Dec 07, 2010 06:51:39 pm
      No. He never made it at Spurs because they benched him every game.

Had a better goal scoring ratio than Defoe at his time there.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #37: Dec 07, 2010 06:54:33 pm
      He failed at Spurs because his all round game is sh*t and they had better strikers than him, I've never rated him.

I see your a big fan Crouch I think your completely wrong on this lad, he would be an awful signing said the same about Keane when every one was raving about him and I'm confident I would be right here as well.

He has found his level, over rated and over valued.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #38: Dec 07, 2010 07:03:03 pm
      Better strikers? Pavlyuchenko, Keane and Defoe? He outscored the lot of them in his time there in regards of goal to game ratio but he was Defoe's foil and 'Arry loves Defoe.

This guy was banging in at least 15 goals a season for Charlton when he was a teenager and has kicked on from there.

He has pace, strength and can finish. He's done it against all the big sides and doesn't fade from a game. If he signs for a bigger club i guarantee his success because he's a damn good player.

What part of his game don't you rate by the way? The only thing he doesn't do is fancy flicks and tricks. Brilliant positioning, excellent movement, strong on both feet, can head a ball.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #39: Dec 07, 2010 07:09:12 pm
      No in my opinion Harry was right, when ever he played for them he looked limited and off the pace but then I didn't rate him with Charlton either and knew he would flop at Spurs.

I guarantee he would flop here as well, some players are better as a focal point of small teams, that is exactly what I think of him Crouch,he is a limited over valued English striker. I could go on about his touch passing link up play etc but I won't you get the drift I don't rate him.

Wouldn't touch him with a F***ing barge pole. Lot better strikers out there. I've seen way to much of him to change my view, way to much.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #40: Dec 07, 2010 07:11:19 pm
      Not seen many limited strikers with a 2:1 goal ratio mate but fair do's if you don't rate his game style.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #41: Dec 07, 2010 07:15:39 pm
      Not at all Crouch, don't rate him, don't think he is anywhere near a Liverpool player player, we will agree to differ here.

Think I've a very good record on calling our signings and I'd happily call this one as well.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #42: Dec 07, 2010 07:17:40 pm
      No worries bud.

I'd like him here though. Think he'd be great either with Fernando or as a replacement.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #43: Dec 07, 2010 10:39:48 pm
      Not at all Crouch, don't rate him, don't think he is anywhere near a Liverpool player player, we will agree to differ here.

Think I've a very good record on calling our signings and I'd happily call this one as well.

Modest as ever, Corbally.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #44: Dec 07, 2010 10:43:19 pm
      Ya and I'm more than happy to be pulled when I'm wrong. Will openly admit when I'm wrong
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #45: Dec 07, 2010 10:49:25 pm
      Bit of a rarity, but I agree whole heartedly with Corbally - personally think that he is way over-rated and way over-priced.

Out of interest, for those quoting his scoring ratios, what is it if you take out penalties ?

Quick Reply