Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool Should Have It's Own Vision

Read 2862 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Liverpool Should Have It's Own Vision
      Dec 04, 2010 11:21:28 am
       Rodolfo Borrell Interview
      In the first of a new, regular column with members of the club's Academy staff, U18 coach Rodolfo Borrell relives El Clasico and tells us why he doesn't want Liverpool to copy Barcelona...

Barcelona's 5-0 victory over Real Madrid was not only one of the finest exhibitions of football in recent memory; it was also a triumph for those who put their faith in developing homegrown talent.

As a former Barca man I was particularly proud to see them put their great rivals to the sword in the El Clasico on Monday night, not least because I actually played a part in the development of some of those players.

I had the privilege of working with Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta, Gerard Pique and Bojan Krkic during my 14 years with the Catalan side's youth system and I was particularly pleased for the lad who came on and scored the fifth of the night.

I actually discovered Jeffren in a similar way to how I found Cesc Fabregas. He was an U16 player with Tenerife and I thought he would suit the style of Barca perfectly.

It was a great moment for him to come off the bench and make that contribution. Hopefully he can keep making that type of impact for them.

I think it was a special performance from Pep Guardiola's side. Just look at the opponents they overwhelmed. They had the likes of Xabi Alonso and Ronaldo in their side but you'd have to agree the Catalans won at a canter.

Like I say, I think this Barca team are a great example for what you can achieve if you develop a strong youth system. No fewer than eight players that featured during the 90 minutes were actually homegrown. Perhaps this is proof that you don't necessarily have to go out and spend vast amounts of money on superstars.

It was a magnificent brand of football but it doesn't happen overnight. It can take years of cultivating and you have to have the right players to play it too.

People have since asked me if that is the style I would hope to see Liverpool playing with in the years ahead but I think this club has its own style and stature. We do not need to copy Barcelona.

Liverpool is too big to copy other sides. We can have our own vision.

We must work hard to ensure we do that. That is the most important thing. Now is a crucial moment for us because we have new owners and a new director of football strategy.

We must focus on one direction and stick to that. We cannot make change every few years depending upon who is in charge. The club should stick to its footballing philosophy and build upon the great history we already have here.

It is not about individuals, it is about the good of this club and we want to move forward by developing players that can be influential for the first team.

It is also about signing the right young players to fit in with this style and brand that is known as the Liverpool way.

If we do all this and everybody sticks to the same principles then there is no reason why we cannot have a very bright future here.

There are already signs that we are progressing and everyone at the Academy was delighted to see that both Jack Robinson and John Flanagan were named on the substitutes' bench for the Europa League game against Steaua Bucharest on Thursday night.

They may not have made it onto the field but the experience will have done them the world of good. It is pleasing for us because that is why we are here. Most of the lads we had in the U18s last season are now in the reserves with John McMahon and hopefully they can continue to progress and make an impact on the first team in the years ahead.

In terms of actual action on the pitch, this week has been a somewhat frustrating one for us.

We learned that our FA Youth Cup tie with Notts County would have to be postponed due to their first-team's involvement in the FA Cup and we are still waiting for a new date to be confirmed.

We have been training normally but due to the adverse weather conditions we have had to do it indoors. This isn't ideal because I always prefer to train on grass. It is more real and when you do not have any games to play it can mean you don't have the competitive edge or rhythm you need.

We were hoping that we would at least end the week with some football because the lads are eager to get back out there, but with the weather as it is, it made sense to postpone our league match with Wolves.

It means we could face two weeks without any football, which isn't what we would hope for but we must cope with that and make sure we prepare well for whenever the Youth Cup game with Notts County takes place.

Rodolfo was speaking to Paul Hassall
      « Last Edit: Dec 04, 2010 01:54:24 pm by racerx34 »
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Re: Liverpool Should Have It's Own Vision
      Reply #1: Dec 04, 2010 11:34:12 am
      This makes alot of sense- and he already knows more than Roy!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Dec 04, 2010 11:44:59 am
      This makes alot of sense- and he already knows more than Roy!

I'd give Rodolfo a shot at being manager, he spots develops and nurtures youth, could be our very own Arsene Wegner in a few years.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #3: Dec 04, 2010 11:48:46 am
      The posts are getting more and more bizarre. What next the under 12 manager is better than Roy ffs.

Can we stop every single F***ing thread becoming a dig at Roy. The initial post was a very good one and deserves debate, but for the first response to say he's better than Roy is embarrassing.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Dec 04, 2010 11:51:13 am
      As long as that vision is not sit back and hoof ball!
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Dec 04, 2010 11:55:45 am
      If we can play like we did at the tail end of 08/09 season, we'll be ace. Rafa had us playing great football and hammering teams towards the end.
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #6: Dec 04, 2010 12:08:48 pm
      The club should stick to its footballing philosophy and build upon the great history we already have here.

Yeah, good luck telling Roy that!
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #7: Dec 04, 2010 12:48:42 pm
      The posts are getting more and more bizarre. What next the under 12 manager is better than Roy ffs.

Can we stop every single f**king thread becoming a dig at Roy. The initial post was a very good one and deserves debate, but for the first response to say he's better than Roy is embarrassing.
      Well said Gazza.My thoughts exactly.Seems that whatever thread yer go on its the same Roy this Roy that.
      Sick of it meself,whether Roy is or isn't should just be kept to its own thread.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #8: Dec 04, 2010 12:54:41 pm
      Its all linked together- Owners-Staff-Manager-Players.

If the Staff have a vision or an idea, then its down to the Manager to make it happen.

Hence the digs at Roy.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #9: Dec 04, 2010 01:01:10 pm
      The whole club including admin staff should have a vision of what the club should be. We have become disjointed and broken mainly down to the H+G era.
      Superb post we dont need to copy anyone for nearly 30 years everyone tried to copy us. Do you think the players the staff and the supporters can all get round Roy no.
      Do you think the same people could get round Kenny yes is my opinion and thats what we need someone we can all get behind.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #10: Dec 04, 2010 01:03:33 pm

Can we stop every single f**king thread becoming a dig at Roy. The initial post was a very good one and deserves debate, but for the first response to say he's better than Roy is embarrassing.
      Agree.. Its getting silly now!! If the weather is bad in Merseyside, he gets blamed!
      But nice comments. Although having our own vision is great, there is nothing wrong with taking a few ideas from Borrel on how certain things have been done at Barcelona.
      Its amazing how the best team in the world can have so many homegrown players- Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Pedro, Jeffren and even Messi has been there for years.
      I dont see anything wrong in using methods they use ifit works!!
      Anything to put us back on the map again :)
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #11: Dec 04, 2010 01:12:27 pm

If the Staff have a vision or an idea, then its down to the Manager to make it happen.

Hence the digs at Roy.
      Ive heard that he's having a spade for Christmas!  ;)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #12: Dec 04, 2010 01:51:10 pm

Hence the digs at Roy.
      I agree. But Roy has been in the door a few months?
      And we are talking about a LONG TERM vison here so digs at him now are a little silly no?
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #13: Dec 04, 2010 02:37:13 pm

Well it was always going to go one of two ways, either dig at the present manager or say how wonderful our former manager was........surprised not the latter really  :f_tongueincheek:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Dec 04, 2010 04:04:39 pm
      Main main thought was that last year we had all the team running 4-2-3-1 and now the run 4-4-2.
      That means the youth teams had to re-adjust to the new formation and it's tactical changes.
      That is not what the youth players need.

What we need is a system in place where we have a Liverpool Way/Philosophy and regardless of short term managerial changes the system stays the same. Is a fantastic long term view, but harder I imagine to implement.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #15: Dec 04, 2010 10:56:16 pm
      I agree. But Roy has been in the door a few months?
      And we are talking about a LONG TERM vison here so digs at him now are a little silly no?

Roy and long term vision.

Oh the F***ing irony!!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #16: Dec 04, 2010 11:05:45 pm
      Roy and long term vision.

Oh the f**king irony!!
      About right mate.The man's an old tw*t,with out-dated opinions,ffs,he,s got a geriatic coach for Pepe.Anyone doubt why the Spaniards wnt to leave?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Dec 04, 2010 11:10:12 pm
      I'd give Rodolfo a shot at being manager, he spots develops and nurtures youth, could be our very own Arsene Wegner in a few years.

I had thought along those line when Rafa was let go, but I think Rodolfo is doing what he does best. What we need is a manager to fit into the structure that is now in place. Whether Roy would come back I doubt it but definitely a young ambitious manager, who can work with the youth teams to implement a long term strategy is a must.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #18: Dec 05, 2010 01:28:58 pm
      I had thought along those line when Rafa was let go, but I think Rodolfo is doing what he does best. What we need is a manager to fit into the structure that is now in place. Whether Roy would come back I doubt it but definitely a young ambitious manager, who can work with the youth teams to implement a long term strategy is a must.

I was laughed at for suggesting it awhile ago, but I feel Owen Coyle (though he probably needs to prove himself a bit more) would/could do a good job for us.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Dec 05, 2010 01:55:26 pm
      I was laughed at for suggesting it awhile ago, but I feel Owen Coyle (though he probably needs to prove himself a bit more) would/could do a good job for us.

Saw him linked with Arsenal today. Quality young manager. A lot could depend on how Bolton finish this year. Early days yet
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #20: Dec 05, 2010 05:53:13 pm
      i reckon rodolfo has to be one of benitez's best signings.
      he seems to know how to raise a couple of fantastic kids through each year, and in 4-5 years time i reckon we'll start to make inroads into producing outstanding young talent.

Quick Reply