Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Houllier: Best and Worst

Read 3113 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Houllier: Best and Worst
      Dec 04, 2010 11:04:23 pm
      Gerard Houllier returns to Anfield Monday night as an opposing manager for the first time since his departure six years ago in the summer of 2004.
      So to commerate the occasion, pick your Gerard Houllier XI and your five best and worst moments supporting LFC during his reign.
      Here I go:

Dudek- bought by Houllier and integral after his reign in Istanbul.
      Finnan- another top signing who proed most of his worth after Houllier left
      Carragher- was going to say Henchoz but no room. Carragher alreafy said how much Gerard helped him.
      Hyypia- probably the best bargain Liverpool have ever made and was a class act and captain for much of his reign.
      Riise- another top signing from Houllier. Who can forget his first goal vs United.
      Murphy- was our player of the season in 02/03 and will be remembered for away trips to Old Trafford :)
      Hamann- yet another legend signed by Gerard in 1999.
      Gerrard- handed the captaincy to Stevie and brought him through from the youths. No more needs to be said
      McAllister- Gary Mc was here for such a short period and won so many hearts. Everton away last minute sticks to mind.
      Owen- we may begrudge him but he won Ballon D'or under Houllier and was very much world class
      Heskey- preferred to Fowler and scored an impressive 21 goals I think in our treble season

5 BEST MOMENTS
      - FA Cup Final 2001
      - UEFA Cup Final 2001
      - Worthington Cups 2001&2003
      - Double over United in both 00/01 and 01/02
      - We won nothing but our league campaign after treble season was excellent.
      5 WORST MOMENTS
      - Finishing 5th after coming 2nd the season before
      - Signing the likes of Diao and Diouf
      - Never really going far in Champions League
      - When he was out with heart condition
      - Getting nailed 4-0 at Old Trafford
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Re: Houllier: Best and Worst
      Reply #1: Dec 04, 2010 11:29:17 pm
       “cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar.”
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #2: Dec 04, 2010 11:30:59 pm
      “cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar.”
      hodgson that is!
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #3: Dec 04, 2010 11:57:23 pm
      I'd probably go with the same and I'd add his return game against Roma when we won 2-0 to the list.
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #4: Dec 05, 2010 01:48:42 am
      ye i said it cuz its quite obvious what his highs and lows are :)
      hope this clears things up.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #5: Dec 05, 2010 02:18:31 am
      The signing of Sami Hyypia, still ranks as the best signing we've made in the Premiership years for me. A practically unknown quality going on to become Liverpool captain and one of the greatest bargains ever in the history of football.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #6: Dec 05, 2010 02:40:32 am
      The signing of Sami Hyypia, still ranks as the best signing we've made in the Premiership years for me. A practically unknown quality going on to become Liverpool captain and one of the greatest bargains ever in the history of football.
      I have to agree with that Billy, how much was it? £2.5m what an unbelievable player he was for us. My mates call me Sam because i didn't half bang on about him being the bargain of the Decade.:)
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #7: Dec 05, 2010 03:46:27 am
      I'd say the same team but how could you pick Heskey over God?!! Was forced out then that could be one of the 5 lows aswell.

Wasen't Houllier noted for his man-management skills, a skill our 2 managers since haven't really had in adundance. I remember reeding how Stevie had growing pains or something, and Houllier send him to his dentist, got his wisdom teeth pulled and the troubles went away!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Dec 05, 2010 08:11:03 am
       I really think that Phil Thompson deserves a special mention for the way he worked with Houllier especially when Houllier had the heart problem.I am relying on memory now but Phil did a fantastic job in that period,the biggest problem with Phil was when he got hit with the ball from Robbie Fowler while training..Houllier demanded an apology from Robbie and never got it and that was the end for Robbie, Houllier did not do a bad job but I do not think he would of handled Hicks and Gillett.A problem was he did buy a lot of second rate Frenchmen who were going to be world beaters or in his words were little gems,most of them are unheard of today.I do not detract from the good buys he made as noted by other posters.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #9: Dec 05, 2010 10:25:45 am
      Houllier signed some great players.
      Sami Hyypiä, Dietmar Hamann, Vladimír Šmicer, Sander Westerveld, Markus Babbel, Nicky Barmby,
      Jari Litmanen, Gary McAllister, Steve Finnan, John Arne Riise, Jerzy Dudek, Christian Ziege,

And of course Bruno Cheyrou :f_whistle:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #10: Dec 05, 2010 11:24:40 am
      Sami Hyypiä, Dietmar Hamann, Vladimír Šmicer, Sander Westerveld, Markus Babbel, Nicky Barmby,
      Jari Litmanen, Gary McAllister, Steve Finnan, John Arne Riise, Jerzy Dudek, Christian Ziege,

A couple of great players, but most importantly looking at the list not many were outstanding.

Houllier just got them working together in the right system.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #11: Dec 05, 2010 11:37:14 am
      The man is a legend in his own lifetime Billy and one of the most faithfull servants LFC has had, he must surely return in a coaching capacity at some time.   
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #12: Dec 05, 2010 12:24:34 pm
      The man is a legend in his own lifetime Billy and one of the most faithfull servants LFC has had, he must surely return in a coaching capacity at some time.   
      One of the problems Carragher has is Sami isnt beside him. We go on about missing Alonso and we do but Sami was and is irreplaceable.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #13: Dec 05, 2010 12:32:09 pm

And of course Bruno Cheyrou :f_whistle:

Some good signings, but it all went pear shaped for GED when signing kids IMO. Granted Sami and John great signings but he never really excelled with youth. No surprise that since Jamie Steve and Michael our youth academy has not produced what we expect.

It's getting better but I think it was neglected somewhat by GED.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #14: Dec 05, 2010 02:55:08 pm
      Best: The treble, good records against Man U and the blueshite and sending that lot rabid when he signed Barmby, dealing with the guv'nor and showing him who's boss!

Worst: Choosing that gobs***e Diouf over Anelka and discarding Titi near the end of the 99/2000 season for big Emily.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #15: Dec 05, 2010 03:04:18 pm
      Best

Signing Hyypia and Didi
      2001 season. Never forget that.

Worst
      Letting Robbie leave
      Signing Diouf when it should have been Anelka.
      Never building on 2001-2002 season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #16: Dec 05, 2010 03:13:13 pm
      Gerard did have a life saving operation and that does change people how could it not. he wasnt the same after that but for me I like the Gary Mac winner against the Bitters the pure joy on Gerrards face was wonderful I can still see it now.
      Selling Robbie how could we do that to him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #17: Dec 05, 2010 03:22:25 pm
      Selling Robbie how could we do that to him.

Because unfortunately Ged had a almost schoolmaster approach and Robbie was like the naughty kid, did well getting £11 - £12 million for him though!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #18: Dec 05, 2010 03:27:47 pm
      Sami Hyypia - just WOW.

His last season wasn't great but away wins over Chelsea and Man Utd in 2004 were savoured deliciously by myself.
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #19: Dec 05, 2010 07:33:46 pm
      Sami Hyypia - just WOW.

His last season wasn't great but away wins over Chelsea and Man Utd in 2004 were savoured deliciously by myself.

Sami is in my opinion one of the greatest bargains in the history of the premier league. Also signing Hamann was genius so a lot of credit to gerard for those signings.

Signing diouf and harry f*cking kewell have to be among his low points, and letting anelka go.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #20: Dec 05, 2010 08:14:07 pm
      Gets huge respect from me does Gerard, picked up a team of spice boys and created a disciplined, sucesful outfit.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #21: Dec 05, 2010 08:21:27 pm
      He changed us for the better no doubt about that and who can forget the treble and 80 points the following season.  But bad buys hindered us quite a bit (Diouf for example) as did teams sussing out us playing counter attack. 

The bad things for me: selling Fowler and after he left, trying to claim credit for Istanbul 2005.  And generally being a bit less than complimentary about Rafa.  I suppose you could add the tactics, although they worked really well for a time, teams sussed out that we played 'contain and counter', even at home.  That's partly why Rafa's tactics of 'pressing' were such a welcome change.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #22: Dec 05, 2010 09:08:26 pm
      Gerard is of the same ilk as Roy firstly dont get beat. I went to a lot of night matches and the atmosphere was dire in the end. Fast forward to Rafa's night matches and the difference is mind blowing some of THE best ever nights at Anfield occured underRafa.

Quick Reply