Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

You'll win nothing with cautious play

Read 3293 times
      carheex
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 587 posts | -9 
      You'll win nothing with cautious play
      Dec 06, 2010 01:40:05 pm
      Whilst it might seem risky, playing to win is actually a much safer bet than playing not to lose....which is why Roy will never be a success. He'd rather draw than risk defeat by attacking the opposition....

I just looked up an interesting stat to back this up and the team that draws the least matches usually wins the league.

Just thought I'd put that out there as I've never seen it discussed before..

Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Re: You'll win nothing with cautious play
      Reply #1: Dec 06, 2010 01:42:31 pm
      Makes sense really. That's why United have been so succesful in recent times, they can turn a 0-0, into a scrappy, undeserved 1-0 win. Sign of a good team.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #2: Dec 06, 2010 01:47:34 pm
      Depends on where and what teams you play me thinks. Nothing wrong in putting focus on organisation and some fast counterattacks when playing Chelsea, Manu or Barca away!
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #3: Dec 06, 2010 02:25:24 pm
      Depends on where and what teams you play me thinks. Nothing wrong in putting focus on organisation and some fast counterattacks when playing Chelsea, Manu or Barca away!

I agree to an extent, but to set out your team on the 18 yard line is appalling for a club like ours.  And I'm thinking of games like Sunderland and Blackpool - at home!!!

Interesting stat about the draws, but remember, Roy was brought in to manage our expectations and 'steady the ship', not to win leagues.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: Dec 06, 2010 03:04:18 pm
      Whilst it might seem risky, playing to win is actually a much safer bet than playing not to lose....which is why Roy will never be a success. He'd rather draw than risk defeat by attacking the opposition....

I just looked up an interesting stat to back this up and the team that draws the least matches usually wins the league.

Just thought I'd put that out there as I've never seen it discussed before..

Another way of looking at it is teams with the best goal difference usually win the league ours is -2.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: Dec 06, 2010 03:18:20 pm

That's also true.

But i'd also rather see us play to win against all teams and losing a few, than playing for a draw and getting lots of draws. There's not a big difference between 1 point and 0 points, but there is between 3 points and 1.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Dec 06, 2010 03:22:50 pm
      Football is a game where goals are scored and games are won.

It should be played the way it's meant to be and that's scoring goals and winning games. That should always be first before setting a defensive strategy to hold on to a 2 goal lead against teams like Man United, Barcelona and such.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #7: Dec 06, 2010 03:27:26 pm

Interesting stat that, but can believe there is indeed some truth in it.

The days of playing for a draw I thought were confined to the old days of 2 points for a win.  Attack remains the best form of defence.

That has been one of the most disappointing parts of this season, telling players used to dominating football games to sit back, protect the goal at all costs and 'keep the shape'.

I say bollocks to the shape, and hello to swarming.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #8: Dec 06, 2010 03:36:07 pm
      I don't believe a team should ever take the field looking for the draw ,for me that's just taking the piss out of your fans ,we pay the money and we expect them to at least go and try to win where ever it may be ,we have beaten most teams away in Europe at one time or another ,including the mighty Barca twice , Real as well ,i watched us against Fulham last year fcking disgrace by them no fckin intention of winning the game just the 10 man wall ,what do we do bring in the very man who instigated that approach ,we all know you wont win playing like that  question is do our owners.
      As stated above i would rather us have a go at every team and try and win, than just try and hang on with sterile sh*t we are getting now. Most fans can take a loss if they see their team give their all ,but going out just hoping you won,t lose and not trying, is just not acceptable for Liverpool FC. Well it hasn,t been up to this season anyhow.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Dec 06, 2010 04:08:48 pm
      We've had issues with to many draws for a while now, I mean we lost 2 games in the entire premier league season 08/09 and still didn't win the league because of the vast amount of draws against the likes of Stoke.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Dec 06, 2010 04:29:18 pm
      I don't believe a team should ever take the field looking for the draw ,for me that's just taking the piss out of your fans ,we pay the money and we expect them to at least go and try to win where ever it may be ,we have beaten most teams away in Europe at one time or another ,including the mighty Barca twice , Real as well ,I watched us against Fulham last year fcking disgrace by them no fckin intention of winning the game just the 10 man wall ,what do we do bring in the very man who instigated that approach ,we all know you wont win playing like that  question is do our owners.
      As stated above I would rather us have a go at every team and try and win, than just try and hang on with sterile sh*t we are getting now. Most fans can take a loss if they see their team give their all ,but going out just hoping you won,t lose and not trying, is just not acceptable for Liverpool FC. Well it hasn,t been up to this season anyhow.
      I know its a bit anecdotal but if at one time we were 2-0 down at halftime we would genuinely believe we could still win because we were at home and kicking into the Kop end.We need that self belief back and that only comes with the players believing in the Managers tactics.
      Although I don't like Our Arry he does have a go at teams and if you can say you really gave it a good go and lost then I think that loosing that way is honourable loosing like a whimp isn't the Liverpool way.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Dec 06, 2010 08:39:56 pm
      I hate caution and we've seen far too much of it in the past couple of years.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Dec 07, 2010 07:45:14 am
      We've had issues with to many draws for a while now, I mean we lost 2 games in the entire premier league season 08/09 and still didn't win the league because of the vast amount of draws against the likes of Stoke.

As opposed to losing to the likes of, er, Stoke?  ;D

Seriously tho', I hear you fields' and of course you are right.

Although if we are being totally honest with ourselves here, (and not having a "my Daddy is bigger than your Daddy", dick swinging contest), there's and inherent difference between actually setting out for a draw and dominating games but being unable to break teams down for the win. Wouldn't you agree?

I mean, in one scenario "we" would be happy with a draw (and say as much); the other "we" are disappointed that we only drew (much like 08/09 season).

Barring European or two-legged games: actually playing for and being happy with a draw is an archaic ideal which belongs, firmly, in the 1970's - thirty plus years ago.  ;)

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: Dec 07, 2010 07:59:30 am
       The only time a draw is a good result is if you are getting beat by one goal and you manage to equalise in the last few seconds,otherwise you go for a win every time. One time a draw would of been a good result for us was when Arsenal beat us in the last match of the season and we lost the league because of it.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #14: Dec 09, 2010 11:38:34 am
      Cautious play will give the opponents the extra boost to attack us. We need to be more ruthless and tough (but fair) in a game. Put in a few hard tackles early to make our presence felt. Gone were the days when the opposition scores, it will only be a matter of time before we equalise and score more. Ok, we attack and we'll most probably concede but if we can score more than we concede, don;t see a problem here. Besides that, being attack minded will keep the ball in the opposition half most of the time and take much pressure off our defence. I'm extremely happy to see Babel, Maxi, Sotis and even Skrtel scoring lately, it should be the case and not over reliant on Nando and Stevie. Opposition will now be busier trying to mark others apart from Stevie and Nando and that'll open up more space for us to exploit.

What I'd like to see is to quickly close down the opposition when they regain possesion and Lucas has done that very well of late, that'll put the pressure straight back at the opposition.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15: Dec 09, 2010 11:39:52 am
      This shouldnt have been a thread really it should have been a note left on Roy's windscreen.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #16: Dec 10, 2010 12:47:01 am
      Now as much as I loved Rafa, this stat is why we didnt win the league in 2008/2009.
      We only lost 2 games that season at Spurs and Middlesbrough but the amount of games we drew was ridiculous.
      In some of those games we were afraid to come out and attack, especially away from home and Rafa preferred to draw rather than attack risking a loss.
      We drew with Arsenal and they went down to 10 men but we were afraid of losing. Games like Villa away are examples of games I watched where we sat back.
      That season really frustrates me because we came so close and should have won it!!
      We only really came out and attacked out and out from February onwards when we had to because we were trying to catch United.
      So Roy needs to realise, if we are to be succesful we must not be afraid to risk losing games to win!!
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #17: Dec 10, 2010 01:48:51 am
      Honestly I think in the past few games we've played some nice attacking football, just a shame we keep sitting back once the second half begins and teams start to up their games to try and get back in it.

And I was at Villa on Monday in the Main Stand, right above Roy, when we started sitting back and giving the ball away he was up on his feet making the signals for everyone to push up as we were too deep.

I'm not saying Roy hasn't played negative football in the past, or even earlier in his Liverpool tenure, but I will say in the last month at least we have looked like a team not afraid to go out and attack teams. I think the new formation with two strikers is evidence to that as well.

Quick Reply