Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Can we go on a decent run?

Read 2791 times
      Sweeney The Red
      • Forum Phil Babb
      • Started Topic

• 170 posts |
      Can we go on a decent run?
      Dec 07, 2010 03:00:30 pm
      I know it's abit premature, but looking at our run in in the Premier League there is some "winnable" fixtures coming up, if Roy has the right tactics away from home (which i'm worried about) we can pick up alot of important wins and points and be set for a very good final 3rd in the League..

Our run in is:

11 Dec 2010      N'castle   A
      18 Dec 2010      Fulham   H   
      26 Dec 2010      Blackpool   A   
      29 Dec 2010      Wolves   H   
      1 Jan 2011      Bolton   H   
      5 Jan 2011      Blackburn   A
      16 Jan 2011      Everton   H
      22 Jan 2011      Wolves   A
      2 Feb 2011      Stoke City   H
      5 Feb 2011      Chelsea   A   

It's not the opposition I'm really worried about though, its the little "H" and "A" next to them.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Can we go on a decent run?
      Reply #1: Dec 07, 2010 03:03:39 pm
      We have the potential to get 3 points from all of those games bar perhaps a couple.

Whether we'll do it or not though...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2: Dec 07, 2010 03:09:42 pm
      I reckon we will win 6 of those, draw 2 and lose 2

20 points from 30. Bare minimum.

crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #3: Dec 07, 2010 03:11:10 pm
      To be honest if Rafa did not leave we'd probably win the league we've never had such good fixtures in a row like what we have this season. If Roy was any good we would be challenging for the title right now. But yes we can go on a run but its a bit too late isn't it?
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #4: Dec 07, 2010 03:24:02 pm
      Out of the 10 fixtures I would hope and expect 8 wins, if not more. The only team which could cause us a problem would be Chelsea because they may have sorted themselves out, but I would still expect us to get a result there , when we play well and have the correct tactics we are a match for anyone.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #5: Dec 07, 2010 03:31:43 pm
      We have 6 wins and 4 draws so far from 16 games so we how do we then go to 8 wins from 10 games what has changed. I love the enthusiasm and confidence but 3 points from Newcastle will suffice for now.
      Didnt we go through this exercise a short while ago and we fell flat on our faces. the old mantra of one game at a time will do for now.
      If we beat NUFC that will be a great away win and it should move us up a place as  well.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #6: Dec 07, 2010 03:35:32 pm
      Haven't we done this before and been sadly let down.

On paper, we should win the next 9 games.

Sadly we don't play on paper.  We have to go and play at away grounds.

Bearing in mind we are already 7 points behind a CL spot I think even if we won 7 of the 9 we would still be outside the top four.

I will deliberately leave out the Chelsea game and look at the next 9 which will take us up to the 25th game.

09/10 - After 25 games (44 points and 4th - Rafa's final season)
      08/10 - After 25 games (54 points and 2nd)
      07/08 - (44 points and 5th)
      06/07 - (49 points and 3rd)
      05/06 - (48 points)
      04/05 - (40 points)
      03-04 - (38 points - Houllier's final season)

If Roy wins them all we will have 49 points from 25 games. Almost 2 points a game and a decent total for a team for finish around the top four.

My fear is that we might not even be at the level of Houllier's final season, and then have a tough spell after the next 9 games.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #7: Dec 07, 2010 03:48:43 pm
      I think Roy has finally realised what works with Liverpool (ie, pressing high) and players are in better form and morale than in early season, so it should be a more decent run at least as team performance level (I mean looking like we can alway win).

Now we still have very unreliable players like Konch very able to make us lose a match or two on an odd error, Maxi N'Gog and Torres with their rather random finishing skill, Kuyt and his legendary ball control, etc... Plus our tendancy to underperform away and be plagued with injuries. So I wouldn't expect us to make far more than 20pts out of 30, and wouldn't be surprised by a 17 or 18.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Dec 07, 2010 03:58:16 pm
      We will have a good run of 1 until the 2 home games against Bolton and Wolves, then we will have a run of 2.

I'm not saying we will lose all the aways but I doubt there will be many wins to back up our home form.

In theory the only concern should be Chelsea away but this is the new Liverpool and we shouldn't expect to win away against such formidable opponents such as Newcastle, Blackburn or Wolves  :f_tongueincheek:
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Dec 07, 2010 03:58:18 pm
      It's not the opposition I'm really worried about though, its the little "H" and "A" next to them.

This.

I'd hope for wins in all of those home fixtures. I pray that Woy has finally figured it out (to an extent) and will have us winning games we should. This is the most favorable run of fixtures I can recall Liverpool having in quite some time. Must get at least 24 points out of this.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Dec 07, 2010 05:04:59 pm
      I must admit down as far as the Chelsea game it looks like we could get 27 from the next 27, on paper. The funny thing about paper is it gets ripped up. Werea s likely to lose at Newcastle, Blackpool and Blackburn as we are to win under the current regime.

aturday is a huge game for me. Travelling to Newcastle on the back of last nights win. Will we go and show authority and take 3 points or will Roy continue his attrocious away form? The latter must be as likely and until the team proves that it can travel and take 3 points from home then I wont get excited at the prospect of any kind of run being created
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #11: Dec 07, 2010 05:08:30 pm
      If we win the next 9 out of the 10 games then I'd expect us to be challenging for the top 4. I'd say we'd be in the top 4 if we win next 9. All teams going for top 4 are dropping points. 
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #12: Dec 07, 2010 05:32:12 pm
      yes we can its interesting without the big 3 torres gerrad,carra we win 3-0. perhaps babel will step up his game ngog looked awesome. think we have turned a corner the schedule   looks easy enough. so lets pray this can continue. top 4 teams  not as good as they were
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #13: Dec 07, 2010 05:37:51 pm
      Im dreading Blackpool away.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Dec 07, 2010 06:14:21 pm
      This is a great run of fixtures. The best in years. There is NO excuse. I expect a string of wins and nothing else. If we can't get out of these run of fixtures with dignity then sorry Roy I'll be resigned to call for replacement (I am very tolerable for new managers). The away wins must start now otherwise in my opinion it's over.
      EL___ NINO
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #15: Dec 07, 2010 06:19:01 pm
      we will win all of these  :)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #16: Dec 07, 2010 06:32:30 pm
      No we will not. stop setting yourselves up for a fall.the only game we can win out of all of them is the next one NUFC.It madness to look at the fixture list like this how can 1 win against a poor side create such optimism. Our own record combined withRoy's away record isnt great to say the least.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Dec 07, 2010 06:36:43 pm
      At best we'll draw our away games.

Woy's teams managed only one win away from home in the past two seasons even though they played against the likes of Burnley, Portsmouth, West Ham, Hull, Middlesbrough etc. etc.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #18: Dec 07, 2010 07:49:02 pm
      To be honest if Rafa did not leave we'd probably win the league we've never had such good fixtures in a row like what we have this season. If Roy was any good we would be challenging for the title right now. But yes we can go on a run but its a bit too late isn't it?

Just the league mate? If Rafa hadn't left we'd have done the quadruple surely?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #19: Dec 07, 2010 08:06:40 pm
      Wasting your time Rafa bashing on here he is stil thought of very highly in sharp contrast to Roy who 90% of us want out ASAP.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: Dec 07, 2010 09:26:06 pm

Err steady on now.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #21: Dec 07, 2010 11:28:59 pm
      Can't see us winning half of those to be honest.  We've been here before, earlier in the season and had our hopes dashed.  For me the same problems exist, we go ahead and then try to sit on it when we could really go for it and really boost confidence in the players.  Against 'up for it' teams, we'll struggle with that approach. 

However, if the coin finally drops with Roy, it could happen.  At present I think he is working in a comfort zone.  A big convincing win might rock the boat. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #22: Dec 12, 2010 04:18:45 pm
      I'm sure we all agree, we made a cracking start.

Should we lock this thread now, or later?

Quick Reply