Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Alex Beam - disrespects the 96.

Read 15170 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Alex Beam - disrespects the 96.
      Dec 07, 2010 07:00:38 pm
      I don't know if this was exactly the right place to post, but since the main gripe in this is a complete lack of respect to the 96 (apart from being generally thick about anything Liverpool) then i felt it worked here. Move if needed.

This guy needs to be hunted down. F***ing idiot! :mad: It's journalists like this that continue to make us look like idiots, and why we never get the respect we deserve as fans. I hope this guy loses his job.

Hardball in Liverpool
      New American owners might find these soccer fans a pretty tough crowd

By Alex Beam
      Globe Columnist / December 7, 2010

Two months ago, Red Sox owner John Henry and his partners in New England Sports Ventures purchased Liverpool FC, historically one of Europe’s greatest soccer teams. Obviously, Henry, who admits he knows nothing about English soccer, is hoping to turn a few quid in the globalized sports marketplace.

So far, Henry’s brief stewardship has been uneventful. The team is having a bad year under a mediocre coach, but its problems redound to the previous, despised American owners. Tom Hicks and George Gillett generated huge debts, public relations debacles, and no Premier League championships. For now, the Red Sox PR machine is pumping out happynews about Henry’s visits to grotty Liverpool — Worcester without the glitz — and about his wife’s inane Twitter messages to the fans, e.g. “Wow! Anfield [the team’s stadium] really is a special place!’’

The few sane people I have talked to about Liverpool understand that these are early days for New England Sports Ventures and that meaningful changes probably won’t come until Liverpool’s season ends in May. None of those sane people are in Liverpool, however. Even by the deranged standards of European soccer, Red fans are totally bonkers. Their excitable Internet fan sites are still agonizing over a 21-year-old soccer riot that killed 96 people. One website, Thisisanfield.com, is publishing yet another exhaustive history of the incident, and still actively promotes a boycott of Rupert Murdoch’s tabloid The Sun, two decades after the paper accused Liverpool fans of pickpocketing the corpses, and other outrages.

In a lengthy interview with one of the fan sites, Redandwhitekop.com (kop refers to a part of Anfield stadium), Henry confined himself to boilerplate Belispeak: “This club needs everyone on the same page every day. Every day. We need everyone focused on what needs to be done in the next match facing us and during that match,’’ blah blah blah. He comes across as bloodless and dispassionate, talking about soccer in the same breath as his auto racing interests and baseball — one management template for all. That kind of talk won’t sit well by the Mersey, believe me.

Thisisanfield.com is also publishing a generally positive, three-part history of the Red Sox under Henry & Co., written by an anonymous Bostonian who is a rabid Liverpool fan. He praises Henry’s work with the Sox and with Fenway, but warns of “some startling, and potentially worrying, differences’’ between the Sox and Liverpool: “Liverpool is in a precarious situation with regards to finances. And we’re a bit, shall we say, passionate about winning, and have never been losers. Ever. . . . Can NESV navigate the minefields of English football? Too early to say.’’

There are other worrisome facts: It’s impossible to imagine a high-gloss player-franchise, a la David Beckham and his appalling wife, moving to doggy Liverpool. Likewise Premier League financing rules will change next year, not necessarily to Liverpool’s benefit. I suspect my friend Steve Stark may have it correct, writing on the Atlantic magazine website: “Just like their precursors, these Americans will eventually be run out of town too, wondering what the hell they were thinking when they bought Liverpool FC.’’

A worthy rant Get to a computer and read Brandeis biochemistry professor Gregory Petsko’s brilliant, hilarious, vituperative, interminable open letter to George Philip, president of University at Albany, State University of New York, who just shuttered many of its humanities departments. Here are some quotes from the letter Petsko — an undergraduate classics major, by the way — posted on Genomebiology.com:

“Aesop is credited with literally hundreds of fables, most of which are equally enjoyable — and enlightening. Your classics faculty would gladly tell you about them, if only you had a Classics department, which now, of course, you don’t . . .

“There’s so much to learn from [Dante’s “Divine Comedy’’] about human weakness and folly. The faculty in your Italian department would be delighted to introduce you to its many wonders — if only you had an Italian department, which now, of course, you don’t.’’

Alex Beam is a Globe columnist. His e-dress is beam@globe.com.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/articles/2010/12/07/alex_beam_hardball_in_liverpool/
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: Alex Beam - disrespects the 96.
      Reply #1: Dec 07, 2010 07:05:30 pm
      Totally agree with you bigV, what a F***ing pr**k, and definitely should get the sack.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #2: Dec 07, 2010 07:13:41 pm

Their excitable Internet fan sites are still agonizing over a 21-year-old soccer riot that killed 96 people. One website, Thisisanfield.com, is publishing yet another exhaustive history of the incident, and still actively promotes a boycott of Rupert Murdoch’s tabloid The Sun, two decades after the paper accused Liverpool fans of pickpocketing the corpses, and other outrages.

Key words; accused and outrages...

The S*n wrongly accused Liverpool fans of outrages that didn't happen.

Why the F**k would he bring Hillsborough up?

I hope this disrespectful c**t sacked.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #3: Dec 07, 2010 07:21:09 pm
      c**t!!

And the Internet Terrorists have a new target.

I wonder if Mr Beam has ever heard of Steven Cohen.

This tw*t will soon learn the power and reach us kopites have!!

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: Dec 07, 2010 07:23:59 pm
      Not to mention besides the outrageous slurs at Hillsborough, he generally disrespects the city - calling it "grotty Liverpool" at one stage!

But the Hillsborough stuff is just beyond stupidity. I can't believe even now some people are so ignorant to write that kinda trash. He's already getting comments on the article, and im sure a shiteload more emails. I'm planning to shoot off an email to the paper itself.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #5: Dec 07, 2010 07:28:39 pm
      I can't believe even now some people are so ignorant to write that kinda trash. He's already getting comments on the article, and im sure a shiteload more emails. I'm planning to shoot off an email to the paper itself.

I'm sending mine straight to the editor and the paper hierarchy. I'm going to take some time out to calm down.

I want to express in clear and reasonable terms why this is a totally disrespectful piece of 'journalism'

He knew what he was getting himself in for, after all he has decided to browse our 'excitable internet sites'... Lets make this c**t pay
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Dec 07, 2010 07:32:27 pm
      Amen brother.

Time to let him know that when you play with fire, you get burnt!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Dec 07, 2010 07:48:15 pm
      Other than his ignorrance, he has a horrible writing style, and I'm suprised to hear he is a jornalist/columnist
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #8: Dec 07, 2010 08:25:52 pm
      What a F***ing tit, he's getting a flaming bag of poop via email from me then.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #9: Dec 07, 2010 08:37:34 pm
      What a moron!! this is infuriating!!!

Email campaign is what he deserves the F***ing ignorant b***ard...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #10: Dec 07, 2010 08:45:53 pm
      I'd imagine it was more piss poor lazy journalism than spite.

I would have thought if you were ever writing about the death of 96 people you may at least have the sense to check your facts before labelling it 'soccer riots'.

paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #11: Dec 07, 2010 08:48:18 pm
      What a disgusting parasite.

We getting the f**ker sacked then?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #12: Dec 07, 2010 09:13:51 pm
      The article has been amended on the website.

The article has also had a paragraph added at the beginning stating.

Correction: Because of a reporting error, Alex Beam's column on Tuesday in the "g" section mischaracterized the 1989 Hillsborough stadium disaster involving Liverpool soccer fans as a "riot." The official investigation into the disaster, which cost 96 lives, placed the blame primarily on poor crowd control and inadequate stadium design.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #13: Dec 07, 2010 09:41:40 pm
      Corrected or not, he put it up there for people to read, and those that have read it will buy into it. Ignorrant, lazy, negligent c**t.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #14: Dec 07, 2010 09:42:38 pm
      He should issue a proper apology.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #15: Dec 08, 2010 01:38:40 am
      Who the F**k is this clueless tw*t?
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #16: Dec 08, 2010 08:55:52 am
      shocking, clueless and totally uncalled for

what a complete and utter moron asshole
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17: Dec 08, 2010 09:13:36 am
      This just goes to show that the need to educate never stops, not just amongst some of our own, newer & younger fans, but amongst other fans & (depressingly) the mdeia too. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Dec 08, 2010 10:16:59 am
      Think I have seen yo post about this ignorant excuse for a journalist before. Should be out of a job at this stage. A disgrace to the profession, but then a lot of them are nowadays. JFT 96
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #19: Dec 08, 2010 10:42:51 am
      What an ignorant sack of sh*t ! He has implied that most Liverpudlians are insane , and also he is virtually sayin that Hillsborough happened 21 years ago nand that you should just get over it .
      A pr**k of the highest order .
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #20: Dec 08, 2010 11:24:29 am
      Typical media c**t.

If you wanna have a dig at our owner, then do but don't talk about things you haven't got a clue about you stupid pr**k. Any genuine football fan knows the real reasons behind the disaster and every one of them knows that is wasn't hooliganism.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: Dec 08, 2010 01:17:57 pm
      Quite honestly are we surprised  no. The one thing we all agree on is Hilsborough and the devastation caused to Innocent people and the cover up that followed.
      I find it hard to get angry with them anymore they really are to be pitied for ignorance is a life long affliction seldom cured.To go through life as an ignorant tw*t is a very sorry way to live a life.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #22: Dec 08, 2010 01:36:00 pm
      Surely this F***ing moron is a target for litigation and by association the rag that employs him?
      The shitrag we all despise was sued successfully for making the same assertions.

Quick Reply