Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Houllier's last squad v Rafa's

Read 17440 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Houllier's last squad v Rafa's
      Reply #69: Dec 08, 2010 06:20:37 pm
      Attacking full backs will always at some stage get caught out of position, that is going to happen.

The answer to the question is easy Hodgson was left with a hell of a lot more talent. Clear as day for anyone that has been following Liverpool for years to see.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #70: Dec 08, 2010 06:31:29 pm
      If the team is functioning properly there should always be cover available we play with two deep midfield players.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #71: Dec 08, 2010 06:34:24 pm
      I think both first team squads were similar in strenght. Neither good enough to challenge for the title. The difference is in the detail of how it arrived like that. Gerrard signed some terrible young players and didnt take up the option on Anelka. Rafa had five transfer windows without financial investment in the playing staff 
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #72: Dec 08, 2010 06:39:13 pm
      If the team is functioning properly there should always be cover available we play with two deep midfield players.

It was.  We only conceded an additional 7 goals from the 08/09 season which people generally accept as "the best we've had in recent times" and we had Insua playing at left back for the majority of it.  Really can't complain about our defense in 09/10 - attack, yes.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #73: Dec 08, 2010 06:40:44 pm
      I thought we challenged for the title in 2008/09 it looks like an impass to me but I'll take Rafa's team everytime others will disagree its hard to see how we could reach a conclusion to this.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #74: Dec 08, 2010 06:51:35 pm
      A vote at the top of the page would sort it out
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #75: Dec 08, 2010 06:54:07 pm
      It was.  We only conceded an additional 7 goals from the 08/09 season which people generally accept as "the best we've had in recent times" and we had Insua playing at left back for the majority of it.  Really can't complain about our defense in 09/10 - attack, yes.

And yet we had shitloads of chances, some extremely bad luck, a huge injury list and played some good footy.

09/10 was THE most bizarre season I can remember in terms of bad luck, injuries and just plain bad decisions given against us or not for us - we should have had at LEAST 15 penalties, and maybe more depending on your point of view.

I don't think it was so much that our attack was poor, we just had the most incredible run of bad luck - and the number of shots we had on target bears this out.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #76: Dec 08, 2010 06:56:51 pm
      If torres hadn't been out for most of last season we would have been in the top 4.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #77: Dec 08, 2010 06:57:02 pm
      I'm claiming that all fullbacks will often get caught out of position and that Johnson is no exception.  Although it does happen more often than usual, regardless of that he's solid in the tackle, pretty good at blocking crosses, good anticipation with the pace to match and he positions himself well once he's actually goal-side of the man.

Sami was brilliant and his reading of the game was outstanding.  It's what allowed him to compete at such a high level despite being very slow.  Johnson's is worse but he has the pace to make up for it, what seems to be the problem here?

Kelly is simply not ready to play at RB week in, week out - he makes far more mistakes than Johnson and his positional play is actually worse (he doesn't get caught on the turn as much but once goal-side of the man, he's actually quite awful).  I like Kelly and have high hopes for him but he's just not ready to make the step up yet, we don't have another player who can play at RB so the crusade against Johnson is unnecessary, counter-productive and straight out of the sky sports textbook.

Good post that mate. You're right about Johnson being nowhere near so bad defensively as some make out. He's a modern full back, brimming with attacking intent but nowhere near so effective going backwards. You could say exactly the same for Ashley Cole, Patrice Evra, Jose Boswinga etc etc.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #78: Dec 08, 2010 07:00:48 pm
      And yet we had shitloads of chances, some extremely bad luck, a huge injury list and played some good footy.

09/10 was THE most bizarre season I can remember in terms of bad luck, injuries and just plain bad decisions given against us or not for us - we should have had at LEAST 15 penalties, and maybe more depending on your point of view.

I don't think it was so much that our attack was poor, we just had the most incredible run of bad luck - and the number of shots we had on target bears this out.

Apologies if I'm getting mixed up with the years here, but are you saying the season in which we finished seventh we created loads of chances, were very unlucky, should have had fifteen penalties etc etc? If you aren't saying that I apologise, if you are, then suffice to say I think it's unlikely we will ever agree about anything, at all.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #79: Dec 08, 2010 07:14:10 pm
      Apologies if I'm getting mixed up with the years here, but are you saying the season in which we finished seventh we created loads of chances, were very unlucky, should have had fifteen penalties etc etc? If you aren't saying that I apologise, if you are, then suffice to say I think it's unlikely we will ever agree about anything, at all.

Just to clear a few things up:  08/09 = 2nd, 09/10 = 7th.

Actually mate, you'll find that the 09/10 season we did in fact create more chances (but we obviously finished less of them) compared to the 08/09 season.  We had around 30 additional shots at goal but we weren't nearly as clinical as we were in 08/09.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #80: Dec 08, 2010 07:39:14 pm

I don't really give a sh*t what you think - the figures speak for themselves.

Yes, we had at LEAST 15 stonewall, nailed on penalties which were not given - there were a lot more that were subject to interpretation.

Then there were incidents like the infamous beach ball goal - none were as obvious, but there were quite a few examples of extreme bad luck.

then consider our injury list - probably the reason why Gerrard and Torres were not as clinical as they would normally be.

In 37 years of watching LFC I have never known a season like it, for sheer bad luck, terrible reffing and injuries.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,222 posts | 3393 
      Reply #81: Dec 08, 2010 07:53:22 pm
      In short: For a guy that compains we were too defensive, why would you pick apart our defense for being good instead of amazing instead of our attack that was average instead of good.  There was also the transition from man-to-man marking from zonal (takes time to adjust), Konchesky instead of Insua (Insua was a better defender). 

Our defence hasn't been good for two years, especially for a side that is so defensive. To be carved open as often as we were last year and as often as we have been this year is criminal for a defensive side. And I think you'll find that our attack has been slaughtered by myself over the past two years.

Xabi scored on average 1-2 goals more a season, it's hardly as if that amount would catapult us to the next tier of footballing prowess.  Conversely, Lucas does more defensive work - if he stops one or two goal a season more, it evens out.

Xabi was here for six years, scored 19 goals in all competitions. That averages out at just over 3 a season. It's not great as I said, especially for a player of his ability. However it's much better than either Lucas' or Mascherano's.

It's not your job to define the role of how Liverpool's central midfielders should play, stop thinking it is.

So why is it your job to define how they should play? You say it's alright if they do this, that and the other - defining what's acceptable for a Liverpool central midfielder. Read your own line above "if he stops one or two more, it evens itself out" defining there. Well done on the contradiction lad.

Mascherano is not a poor man's Didi, you're wrong.  We don't need to invent terms like defensive midfielder, they've been around for many years.  Stop clinging onto the past like a 2 year old with a teddy or a religious zealot who takes the bible literally.

Mascherano is a better player than Meireles.  Meireles just suits our game better at the moment so he's more useful to us.

Mascherano is a poor man's Didi and isn't better than Meireles. He's an average player who for some reason has such a great reputation. And yes defensive midfielders have been around for a while, they played as central midfielders who chipped in with goals as well as doing their defensive work. Souness and McMahon being two of our examples would allow Terry Mc and Jan Molby respectively to do more of the offensive work as that suited them but both Souey and Macca would still chip in. Something Mascherano didn't do at this club - something however that Didi did.

Rafa blamed Purslow for changing the emphasis to cost-cutting which included change in personnel, big difference.

As I said, Rafa said it so it'll be swallowed.

Our priority should be Europe if our finances are in dire straights.  The difference between winning the league and 4th is about £3m, the difference between a CL final and being knocked out in the group stages is about £30m.  You'd make an awful accountant.

No our priority should be the League, first last and always. It's all very well putting Europe first if you're reaching finals but in the three full seasons under Hicks and Gillett we made the semi finals (07-08) the quarter finals (08-09) and knocked out at the group stages (09-10). So we didn't go on making too many finals there did we? Maybe with a slightly bigger push in the League we'd still be playing football in Europe's premier competition. But hey, it's alright if we put Europe as long as it was Rafa that was manager.

Actually, he's prioritised the league but due to us shitting on 3 other opponents by right of being a big club we've qualified using young guns and fringe players.  Europe hasn't started yet.

Right, so Europe hasn't started because Hodgson has got a decent run in Europe. If however we'd lost one or two games, Europe would of most definitely started for you and a few others. Europe started in our first qualifier, since then we've gone unbeaten. And Hodgson has priortised the League, picking overrated players who don't perform on a regular basis whereas in Europe he's gone with players who are hungry and want to prove a point.

I'd bet my house that Rafa wouldn't have allowed himself to be bullied in the transfer market nearly as heavily as Hodgson was.

And if he had, you'd of found someone else to blame.

edit: You're also undermining Rafa's abilities at coaching the defensive game (he's one of the best in Europe at doing so, while Hodgson prefers to concentrate on fitness).  Also the quote you keep repeating as gospel is actually “Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple”.

I'm not undermining anything, but for the record - it is as follows “football is a simple game made complicated by those who should know better”

And for anybody who thinks the English game has copied those from abroad - Guardiola has admitted to copying Shankly's methods/systems. Funny that eh that the second best side in world football, is trying to emulate what the world's greatest side was doing over 50 years ago.

Also, just to keep it on topic - Rafa's squad is better than Houllier's.

More than debatable.

DLS - one overbiding memory of those Euro winning sides and all the sides playing in Europe were the words "And back to Clemence" or whoever the goalie happened to be...
      The back pass rule was brought in precisely because of the WAY we dominated - go a goal up, keep the ball amongst the back four and pass it back to the goalie.
      Of course it wasn't like that in every game, but you'd do well to remove those rose tinted glasses, and remember the reality.
      As for ignoring the rest of my post - it's what you usually do when you can't address someone elses point, so I'm used to that kind of bullshit at this stage.

I ignored the rest of the post because it was bollocks, more so the part that I did mention.

As for the back pass rule, yes you could do that. But so could the opposition. It wasn't just the English sides that were allowed to do that. Truth is, the English sides were better back then. And could only be caught by the rest of the continent by banning us. Plain and simple.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #82: Dec 08, 2010 07:57:01 pm
      I don't really give a sh*t what you think
      Whats the need for all these heated discussions then?

>:D

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010 08:03:13 pm by Dannylfc »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #83: Dec 08, 2010 07:59:44 pm
      If Meireles was better than Masch why didn't Barc buy him, it was made known he was refusing to sign a new contract and was available for a cheaper price, Barc would have saved £7 million, have to say vitez posts are excellant in this thread
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #84: Dec 08, 2010 08:03:56 pm
      If Meireles was better than Masch why didn't Barc buy him, it was made known he was refusing to sign a new contract and was available for a cheaper price, Barc would have saved £7 million, have to say vitez posts are excellant in this thread

I think Miereles is more a LFC player than Masch in my opinion. Will refrain from back slapping dunlops posts just because I agree with them.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #85: Dec 08, 2010 08:04:23 pm
      The back to clemence was only that last couple of minutes surely not like  Arsenal who were famous for 1-0. We still pressed the game and i would have the style of ffotball we played back in a heart beat.What was on eo fthose lovely old cliche's if in doubt stick in the opponents net.
      I know with time we look with Rose coloured glasses but we could do a lot owrse than go back to the simple game keep the ball press the opposition hard when we havent got it.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #86: Dec 08, 2010 08:07:49 pm
      Have to agree re the passing game, somehow in the last couple of years we have passed the ball to death but in our own half. In the good days we passed the ball with purpose in the oppositions half this is the difference
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #87: Dec 08, 2010 08:12:59 pm
      Not gonna bother with the rest because it's not worth it to be honest.

But this I will bring you up on, if during the dark ages of 70s, 80s, 90s football why was it English football dominated the European game? 77 Liverpool, 78 Liverpool, 79 Notts Forest, 80 Notts Forest, 81 Liverpool 82 Aston Villa 84 Liverpool. And we'd of won it in 85 if the Heysel disaster didn't happen.

The only way the rest of Europe could catch up and over take England's clubs on the European front was by banning the nation from Europe. England's sides (most notabally us), up until that point, was miles ahead of Europe's other top clubs because we played in a simple manner that overran the fancy European styles.
      You took the words right out of my mouth ,football is not complicated its a simple game when you apply the basics properly ,the basis of pass and move football which we were great at has been adopted by Barca and surprise surprise it fcking works, i wonder who brought in that philosophy . 
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #88: Dec 08, 2010 08:13:30 pm
      The problem in recent years has been giving the ball away too easy.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #89: Dec 08, 2010 08:38:14 pm
      I don't really give a sh*t what you think - the figures speak for themselves.

Yes, we had at LEAST 15 stonewall, nailed on penalties which were not given - there were a lot more that were subject to interpretation.

Then there were incidents like the infamous beach ball goal - none were as obvious, but there were quite a few examples of extreme bad luck.

then consider our injury list - probably the reason why Gerrard and Torres were not as clinical as they would normally be.

In 37 years of watching LFC I have never known a season like it, for sheer bad luck, terrible reffing and injuries.

Yes I know you "don't really give a sh!t what I think", I gathered that when you came on the forum the other day giving me the "your going to get ripped to shreds" routine. I figured at that juncture what you were all about, but I didn't credit you with being quite as clueless about the game of association football as you obviously are. To say we should have had at least 15 stone wall penalties, or to resort to using stats to try and justify a claim that we were actually a really good team despite the fact we were getting beat every week and what we could se with our own eyes, means either you are completely delusional or completely without any resemblance of a clue. A combo is always a possibility also.

As for our injury list, this season we have Carragher out for three months, Johnson has been out for a month, Agger is long term injured, Torres has been injured, Gerrard has been injured, Kuyt has been out for a month etc etc. I'm only including first team players there, and yet people such as yopurself wouldn't dream of referring to the fact in any of your insightful outbursts.

Face facts, last season we played sh!t. It's as simple as that really.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #90: Dec 08, 2010 08:39:06 pm
      The only justification I will give:
      When Rafa took over there were four decent sides in England. Spurs, Man City, Villa werent great and we came 5th to a sh*t Everton team.
      Roy has a aquad competing with lots of teams who have good teams challenging for 4th and the Big Four has been brought into a Big Seven.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8685 
      Reply #91: Dec 08, 2010 08:41:22 pm
      As for our injury list, this season we have Carragher out for three months, Johnson has been out for a month, Agger is long term injured, Torres has been injured, Gerrard has been injured, Kuyt has been out for a month etc etc. I'm only including first team players there, and yet people such as yopurself wouldn't dream of referring to the fact in any of your insightful outbursts.

Face facts, last season we played sh!t. It's as simple as that really.

How about last seasons injuries, or don't they count because they don't suit your agenda against Rafa.

Quick Reply