Trending Topics

Henry, Werner and Ayre: On LFC TV

Read 23160 times
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Re: Henry, Werner and Ayre: On LFC TV
      Reply #207: Dec 14, 2010 11:24:39 pm
      Like ur style, let me get to my desktop and  ill reply.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #208: Dec 15, 2010 12:31:53 am
      I write these as an idea, not my entrenched view but just for thought to show what could be done compared to now, which is nothing. I believe NESV could have created a vision for the club and aligned that to a series of principles and a guiding charter. That way the fans and the owners can realign themselves towards a common purpose, followed by resurgence on the pitch.

The first principle would be to a football philosophy such as we see at Barcelona, an obligation to play an attractive game or the Crufyy principle. In our case ‘Pass and Move’, however we might want to define it, there are better qualified than me to do so, but it would set a clear edict to the manager of what is expected, what the fans expect not what he wants. To manage the club you need to have the principles of the club.
      - NESV have only paid lip service.

I would also realise that the club is special and it’s the relationship between the local community and the club that creates that special environment, we are not plastic ‘master card’ waving fans from the south or China. Therefore the club should nurture the local community as both a revenue source and a source of players. For example making deals with local companies for ticket allocation, all corporate contracts to be sourced locally, reinvestment into the local area so that the wealth of the club stays in the club and the area. Generate wealth in the area generate income for the club and it stays in the loop.
      - NESV are clearly looking at generating wealth in foreign territories, extending the merchandising of power of their Internal portfolio through strategic commercial alignments. We have no commitments for local regeneration, no commitments to the Stadium.

I would democratise the club. I would understand that NESV know business and they will maximise the revenues of the company but footballing matters should be with the fans. I would give Season Ticket holders highest rights followed by Silver club etc etc in bi-yearly feedback rights for voting. I am not suggesting old fashioned yes or no voting but for example rate the manager on a scale of 1-10. If the score came back 7 or 8 average you could legitimately keep a manager. Vote 2-3 then really you would have to consider his position. Weight the vote according to season ticker, silver etc.
      - Fantasy land and will never happen but you asked my opinion. But its just an idea, the fans need some proper representation and not phone in on TV shows. NESV have not offered this.

My final point that NESV could commit to a transfer budget. The new FIFA regulations and NESV stated principles, that they will not borrow to spend, means all clubs will know how much money we have to spend anyway. Take a quick look at the balance sheet, any MD of any club you are buying from will be aware of your budget anyway. In a fixed market you cannot inflate prices if you are constrained and all other parties understand your constraints. The market is created by the demand for the available capital shared between the clubs. I.e. if no club had a revenue to profit margin large enough to sustain £80Million transfer fees the price would decline and it’s hard to gazump and inflate when you know what your opponent can bid. The big picture is all clubs will now have one large pot each year for transfers that will need to be divided up dependent on success. If you know Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal have spent all the money and Liverpool are knocking on the door with £10Million then you have a lot less opportunity to push a price up, the existing market is tuned on its head.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #209: Dec 15, 2010 12:36:29 am
      I dont remember anyone asking about a footballing strategy for the club. Would have been good to see if they are prepared to have a template to transform how the club operates and integrates the stages of youth development. Guess that will have to wait
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #210: Dec 15, 2010 12:51:08 am
      The first principle would be to a football philosophy such as we see at Barcelona, an obligation to play an attractive game or the Crufyy principle. In our case ‘Pass and Move’, however we might want to define it, there are better qualified than me to do so, but it would set a clear edict to the manager of what is expected, what the fans expect not what he wants.
      Last night the new Chairman said in old videos he was watching Liverpool were 'relentless'.  They would be 3-0 up and get the 4th.

He said that was how he wanted the direction of the club to go in.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #211: Dec 15, 2010 12:51:10 am
      I was asked the question "I would be interested to know what you think they should have done that they haven't", that was my response - they could have a strategy. The reason I gave it was because as you said "is there a template to transform the club" I just put some of my ideas down which could be stated by the club in perhaps less of a manner than I did, as you have to justify on a forum, which would make the fans happy.

They have given is very little, if all were mmmm, ok will see what they will do fare enough but people on here are very open to owners regardless. We should be asking more of NESV.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #212: Dec 15, 2010 12:53:34 am
      Last night the new Chairman said in old videos he was watching Liverpool were 'relentless'.  They would be 3-0 up and get the 4th.

He said that was how he wanted the direction of the club to go in.

True he did. But its a soundbite nothing concrete.
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #213: Dec 15, 2010 12:57:07 am
      Queuepolitely

Some good points raised and I agree with most of them.

As I have posted on here, I follow LFC but support Nuneaton Town (my home town club and have been a season ticket holder for nearly two decades).  Three years ago the club (Nuneaton Borough) went bust and was re-formed (with a 2 league demotion) as Nuneaton Town.

The new club has cultivated ties with local business and brands itself as a community club and this has been one of the most positive aspects of the re-formed club and one of the club directors regularly reads and posts on the clubs fans forum.

Hence, I fully agree with your views on the interaction between club and community and hope that stronger links can be formed by NESV.

I have always been a believer in fan representation as most owners adopt the mushroom approach - keep em in the dark and feed em sh*t.  Am doubtful that this will happen but the opening of lines of communication between fans and club can only be a good thing.

As for your on the pitch suggestions, I would expect NESV to keep quiet about playing budgets and style.  Whether this is right or wrong is debatable put the proof of this particular pudding will be in the eating (under a new manager)

Hence, although we seemed pole aparts there is actually quite a lot we agree on.  I will give NESV time and hope that their actions back up some of their recent rhetoric.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #214: Dec 15, 2010 01:02:56 am
      I have no choice but to give NESV time and will continue to vent on the forums until I eat humble pie and they prove me wrong.

Good info on Nuneaton Town, mates who are Exeter fans who talk about this a lot and I spoke with AFC Liverpool Chairman at great depth to understand what they are doing. My biggest annoyance with football and guess why I will continue to be suspicious of NESV is the lack of grass roots left in the upper echelon and the atmosphere at the club has recently been more stale, I don't know if this is just a G&H hang over or other factors.

Will be keeping an eye on Neneaton on the vidi printer.
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #215: Dec 15, 2010 01:14:34 am
      Ironically, we qualified for the FA Cup 1st round last year and played Exeter (got stuffed 4-0).
      As far as I am aware, they are the only fans-owned club in the league (run by a supporters trust) and had a good chat with a few of them at last years game.

I find that non-league football is a more enjoyable experience - it hasn't had it's soul sucked out of it by Sky or agents.  Fans have banter but there is hardly any trouble - the way football should be.

PS have not long been back from seeing Nuneaton beat Redditch 5-0 to cement 5th in the Blue Square North - hopefully a return to the conference will happen over the next couple of years !
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #216: Dec 15, 2010 01:20:47 am
      Shamrock Rovers rescued by fans and narrowly missed out on the title this year. Has the best stadium in the country and has played Real Madrid and Luve recently. It is possible but doubt it will ever happen with Liverpool. We may just have faith in our owners
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #217: Dec 15, 2010 01:46:17 am
      Shamrock Rovers rescued by fans and narrowly missed out on the title this year. Has the best stadium in the country and has played Real Madrid and Luve recently. It is possible but doubt it will ever happen with Liverpool. We may just have faith in our owners

Would be the ideal scenario but the sums of money involved for LFC would be prohibitive.  Most smaller clubs that do it, do it to ensure the survival of the club - and even then it doesn't always happen.  Nuneaton have a free week soon because Ilkeston were wound up by the Inland Revenue in September over a debt of £46k - less than two days of Tevez' wages !!  Compare this to the treatment of Portsmouth and you get a sense of why most non-league fans dislike the premiership and all that it stands for.
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #218: Dec 15, 2010 01:47:55 am
      PS Sorry for going off topic !
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #219: Dec 15, 2010 01:19:30 pm
      Missed it the other day, so watched it last night and personally I think they are looking to far ahead into "the future". There are huge problems at the moment that need to be resolved, and fast. Fair enough looking to better the club in all areas on the future but things need to be done now to get our club back on track, on the pitch. The caller from Bristol was good, Could tell that the presesnter wasn't to take calls asking for Roy to be sacked, John and Tom never got a say, but at least they got the message clearly.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #220: Dec 15, 2010 01:55:33 pm
      They addressed that though. They said we have to improve now and the market is being studied heavily to find players for the first team and improve the quality of the team.

Henry went on to say that as fans you get caught up in the here and now and want success to be immediate and while their long term is goal is success, it is their short term goal as well.

I have no concerns personally over what they are doing and how they are doing it.

We saw what the reaction of a swinging axe can do for a club with Blackburn. It causes hysteria, mayhem and rumours. We don't need that. The owners are waiting for the right time to pounce and prove he is the wrong man definitively before acting and being seen as knee-jerking and putting the best interests of the club at risk.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #221: Dec 15, 2010 05:39:30 pm
      They addressed that though. They said we have to improve now and the market is being studied heavily to find players for the first team and improve the quality of the team.

Henry went on to say that as fans you get caught up in the here and now and want success to be immediate and while their long term is goal is success, it is their short term goal as well.

I have no concerns personally over what they are doing and how they are doing it.

We saw what the reaction of a swinging axe can do for a club with Blackburn. It causes hysteria, mayhem and rumours. We don't need that. The owners are waiting for the right time to pounce and prove he is the wrong man definitively before acting and being seen as knee-jerking and putting the best interests of the club at risk.

One thing I think that is frustrating for fan's is an apparent lack of action regarding RH. Also people are quick to dismiss the importance of the CEO as a business only decision not relevant to the performance on the pitch.

American sports and English sports have some differences, where as here in  the states the general manager is in the end responsible for everything...success or failure the buck stops with the GM so to speak. I would not be at all surprised if this "CEO" has the same mandate from FSG, though the title may be different the responsibilities will be the same.

If that is the case the the CEO needs to pick the manager (probably in agreement with Comolli and JH/TW) to lead this club forward. If they are going to place total responsibility on the CEO then there is no way they are going to do this until he get's here and has his input to choose the manager that will make the club successful and in-turn make the CEO a success. Once he is hired you will see JH/TW take the hands-off approach just like they do with Boston, and let the pro's run the team.

May not happen like this but I would not be shocked at all if it did.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #222: Dec 15, 2010 09:58:34 pm
      That's exactly there plan. They do it with the Red Sox and with Rousch Fenway in NASCAR. They get the right men in and then let the sports people make the sports decisions. The opposite of Hicks and Gillett who gave orders to the managers to the detriment of the team
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #223: Dec 15, 2010 10:01:27 pm
      That's exactly there plan. They do it with the Red Sox and with Rousch Fenway in NASCAR. They get the right men in and then let the sports people make the sports decisions. The opposite of Hicks and Gillett who gave orders to the managers to the detriment of the team

The downside of that is in the short term until that CEO is hired RH is going nowhere...hopefully they get they're guy shortly after the holidays and he and Comolli can hit the ground running.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #224: Dec 15, 2010 10:07:04 pm
      They need to put up and sack Hodgson or F**k off
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #225: Dec 15, 2010 10:07:14 pm
      We need the CEO for the start January. Roy's mediocrity is gathering a dangerous momentum within our squad
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #226: Dec 15, 2010 10:17:47 pm
      If they watched that and stil think Roy is a good guy they dont deserve to own this club.
      dawson99
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #227: Dec 15, 2010 10:18:55 pm
      They need to put up and sack Hodgson or f**k off

;D..seriously? After watching our B team get top spot in a dire game you want uor new owners gone if they don't get rid of roy?

It's not like we were lpaying our best players tonight!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #228: Dec 15, 2010 10:24:32 pm
      Since when our first eleven where F***ing known as a B team?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #229: Dec 15, 2010 10:26:42 pm
      The emphasis is probably due to Roys comments in today's interview when he made the B Team claim. Shocking really, but that is what Roy called them

Quick Reply