Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool purchased for £218 million

Read 4385 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Liverpool purchased for £218 million
      Dec 17, 2010 11:20:00 am
      Liverpool’s new owners secured the club for a cash payment of less than £218m, recently filed company documents reveal.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/?p=100014576&preview=true

The precise figure that principal owner John W Henry, club chairman Tom Werner and their New England Sports Ventures group paid for the equity in the club is contained in a slew of Companies House filings made in the two months since the Boston Red Sox owners took control at Anfield.

NESV won control of the club after former chairman Martin Broughton successfully forced through the sale against the wishes of former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

According to the filings NESV paid £217,778,550 for the equity in the club, effectively the amount Hicks and Gillett owed to principal lender Royal Bank of Scotland.

They also assumed responsibility for debts to RBS of around £83m, taking the transaction value to a round £300m.

The loans, secured against Anfield and the club’s Melwood training ground, are in two parts, one relating to the new stadium project and the other a rolling credit facility.

The company filings and a posting on the club’s website also reveal, somewhat surprisingly that, like their predecessors, Henry and Werner have an equal say in decision making at Anfield, sharing 50% of the voting rights in the company.

The statement on the club website reads: “John Henry and Tom Werner are the ultimate owners of The Liverpool Football Club and Athletic Grounds Limited (the Club), each owning 50% of the voting rights in the Club.”

The revelation that the new owners have, like Hicks and Gillett, an equal share in decision-making has prompted fears that any dispute could destabilise the club. Hicks and Gillett each owned 50% of Liverpool’s equity, meaning their disputes ended in debilitating deadlock until the intervention of RBS and Broughton.

A spokesman for the club told the Daily Telegraph that the owners believe there will be no repeat of that situation despite the 50-50 split of voting rights.

He said the longstanding working relationship between Henry and Werner, and Henry’s “prevailing economic interest” in the club effectively gives him the casting vote, meant there would be no repeat of the Hicks and Gillett situation.

“John W Henry and Tom Werner are close friends and confer repeatedly on all issues relating to Liverpool Football Club,” the spokesman said. “They have worked together for 10 years at the Boston Red Sox without disagreement, and will continue to work together going forward.

“Were there to be any dispute principal owner John Henry has the prevailing economic interest and would have the means to resolve any issue.”

The company filings reveal that NESV’s ownership of Liverpool is held via a new UK-registered holding company, UK Sports Ventures Holding Company Limited (KSV), a subsidiary of NESV.

UKSV has just two directors, Edward Weiss, general counsel for NESV and the Red Sox, and David Ginsberg, an investment banker and colleague of Henry’s who is also on the football club board, and is vice-chairman of NESV and the Red Sox.

Beneath UKSV are two companies, Anfield Arena Limited, established by Hicks and Gillett which appears to be the vehicle for the stadium development, and Liverpool Football Club and Athletics Grounds Limited (LFCAG), the football club business.

Henry and Werner are both on the LFCAG board, and are joined by three long-standing American colleagues, Ginsberg, Michael Gordon and Jeffrey Vinik. According to the club none of them owns more than 10% of the equity.

According to the Red Sox media guide Ginsberg, who currently runs Raptor Group Holdings, an investment group he founded, began his financial career at NatWest USA. He rose to head their mergers and acquisitions department.

He worked in London as a fund manager for Global Asset Management before joining John W Henry & Company as a special advisor to Henry. He played a key role negotiating NESV’s takeover of the Red Sox.

Vinik, an MBA graduate of Harvard Business School, made his name and fortune as a fund manager, and earlier this year he bought the Tampa Bay Lightning NHL ice hockey franchise.

He worked for Magellan for four years before starting his own fund Vinik Asset Management. His Wikipedia entry states that he made a 93% return for his investors in the first year and 50% in each of the next three. In 2000 he closed the find and concentrated on his own investments.

There is little biographical information available on Gordon, but he is understood to be a former colleague of Werner, one of the most successful comedy producers in American television with credits including Soap.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Liverpool purchased for £218 million
      Reply #1: Dec 17, 2010 11:23:16 am
      It's a pretty complicated affair isn't it.

NESV are a group of what 12-16 investors.

JWH and TW are obviously the main representatives of the group at Liverpool but there are several other members of NESV on the Liverpool board.

UKSV are the holding company - similar in a way to Kop Football was.  But hopefully without the debts.

What will make interesting reading is the final accounts from the Hicks and Gillett reign. 
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2: Dec 17, 2010 11:54:19 am
       I don't trust them, I believe NESV has massive debts somewhere !
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3: Dec 17, 2010 01:21:01 pm

On what grounds do you believe this?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Dec 17, 2010 01:25:47 pm

Once bitten twice shy I reckon. :D
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #5: Dec 17, 2010 01:30:43 pm
      I have to be honest about not trusting them it is as much a personal thing as anything else, I look at this group of people and I don't want them anywhere near my club
       I have said this before I believe they have a lot of debt from the price the New York Times are hoping to get for there shares, they are hoping to get $100 million for 16.6 % of NESVs shares
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #6: Dec 17, 2010 01:32:08 pm
      Interesting read. There were initial doubts as to whether Henry had the financial clout required but it's pretty difficult to even estimate how much that lot are capable of investing between them .
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #7: Dec 17, 2010 01:44:31 pm
       When you start to look at who the people are and what they do "Jeffrey Vinik a fund manager" "David Ginsberg, an investment banker" are these the sort of people who would use there own money to buy something, they obviously have access to fund other than there own
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #8: Dec 17, 2010 01:49:49 pm
      Personally i wouldnt care if the club was bought for 54pence and a Choc Ice.

We are not in debt and paying off a sickening stranglehold of interest
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #9: Dec 17, 2010 02:01:28 pm

Personally I wouldnt care if the club was bought for 54pence and a Choc Ice.

We are not in debt and paying off a sickening stranglehold of interest
      Unless NESV open up there own books (which they will not do) we really have no idea if interest is being paid for the money that was used to buy LFC
      dawson99
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #10: Dec 17, 2010 02:02:08 pm
      I had my doubts, but after seeing what they did with the Boston Red Sox you gotta be impressed. They are here to make money asme as everyone, but they will do it the right way I'm sure
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Dec 17, 2010 02:03:21 pm
        Unless NESV open up there own books (which they will not do) we really have no idea if interest is being paid for the money that was used to buy LFC

As Elvis said "We can't go on together, with suspicous minds" :D
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #12: Dec 17, 2010 02:10:55 pm
      As Elvis said "We can't go on together, with suspicous minds" :D
      ;D

I will try it is Xmas

Can't promise

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13: Dec 17, 2010 03:35:25 pm
      ;D

I will try it is Xmas

Can't promise

I can understand frustration, however they have owned my team that I have been a fan of for 30+ years and I have 0 complaints about they're desire to win or spend money. NESV are not leverage freaks. You look at JH ownership of the Marlins before Boston, the team he built there before moving to Boston also won a championship.

Tom Warner himself made 600 million just for selling the rights to the Cosby show for himself.

Werner co-founded The Carsey-Werner Company with Marcy Carsey in 1980. In this capacity he served as executive producer of such television programs as The Cosby Show, Roseanne, 3rd Rock from the Sun and That 70s Show and other successful hits. Werner made nearly $600 million selling episodes of The Cosby Show for syndication. In 1999, he was honored at the Museum of Television and Radio.

In 1990, Werner entered the world of sports by purchasing the San Diego Padres from Joan Kroc. Werner bought the Padres with 14 other investors and partners. Werner often used the team to help promote his television programs, such as when he invited Rosanne Barr to perform the national anthem. At one point during his tenure, Werner's Padres traded many players in a rumored attempt to lower salary. Fred McGriff and Gary Sheffield were the two most popular players dealt, though Sheffield's trade brought legendary closer Trevor Hoffman to the team. While unpopular at the time, the Padres did win the National League Pennant in 1998.

Vinik own's an NHL teams and run's it quite well...I really think people are selling these guy's short, and I don't believe they should have to open up they're private books just to make fan's happy. These guy's love sports and I have heard them say more then one time, that NESV is a legacy for they're children, if they just wanted to make money there are far and away easier ways to do it then owning a sports team.
      « Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010 03:41:32 pm by AZPatriot »
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #14: Dec 17, 2010 04:19:48 pm
      I can understand frustration, however they have owned my team that I have been a fan of for 30+ years and I have 0 complaints about they're desire to win or spend money. NESV are not leverage freaks. You look at JH ownership of the Marlins before Boston, the team he built there before moving to Boston also won a championship.

Tom Warner himself made 600 million just for selling the rights to the Cosby show for himself.

Werner co-founded The Carsey-Werner Company with Marcy Carsey in 1980. In this capacity he served as executive producer of such television programs as The Cosby Show, Roseanne, 3rd Rock from the Sun and That 70s Show and other successful hits. Werner made nearly $600 million selling episodes of The Cosby Show for syndication. In 1999, he was honored at the Museum of Television and Radio.

In 1990, Werner entered the world of sports by purchasing the San Diego Padres from Joan Kroc. Werner bought the Padres with 14 other investors and partners. Werner often used the team to help promote his television programs, such as when he invited Rosanne Barr to perform the national anthem. At one point during his tenure, Werner's Padres traded many players in a rumored attempt to lower salary. Fred McGriff and Gary Sheffield were the two most popular players dealt, though Sheffield's trade brought legendary closer Trevor Hoffman to the team. While unpopular at the time, the Padres did win the National League Pennant in 1998.

Vinik own's an NHL teams and run's it quite well...I really think people are selling these guy's short, and I don't believe they should have to open up they're private books just to make fan's happy. These guy's love sports and I have heard them say more then one time, that NESV is a legacy for they're children, if they just wanted to make money there are far and away easier ways to do it then owning a sports team.

I love your sig mate, Beast.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #15: Dec 17, 2010 04:43:43 pm

I know they will not be opening any books to make me happy but I do not think it is unreasonable to believe if there was nothing to hide in the book  they would show them to us.
       As for what each member/share owner of NESV is worth, it does not matter, what matters is how much money they have put into NESV and how much debt the company hold.
       As someone who care about Liverpool F.C, this is a sensible questions to ask   
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #16: Dec 17, 2010 05:36:15 pm
        I know they will not be opening any books to make me happy but I do not think it is unreasonable to believe if there was nothing to hide in the book  they would show them to us.
       As for what each member/share owner of NESV is worth, it does not matter, what matters is how much money they have put into NESV and how much debt the company hold.

The LFC books will be open Eddie, but asking NESV to let the world see the inner workings might be asking too much. I'm just saying in 10 years that we have dealt with these guy's over here, there has never been a question of desire to win or doing things the right way...I expect no different in they're ownership of LFC
      njny_scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts |
      Reply #17: Dec 17, 2010 05:38:47 pm

Look, I understand your concern, as do all of us on here. We all got bit by the same snake. However, I do believe we should give them time to prove themselves. Think of it this way: they know we're gonna be suspicious of them after what we very recently have been through. If they do even the slightest thing wrong, they know that we're gonna pounce on them very quickly. Until that happens, I think we have to give them the benefit of the doubt.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #18: Dec 17, 2010 06:38:37 pm
      Eddieo mate, I am sure you worry as much as anyone about our club. However, its important to remember, N.E.S.V are NOT Hicks and Gillett. They have been as upfront with us fans as they are able to. I mean, there are things they can not tell us for confidential reasons. We have to put our trust in them. I know were your scepticism is coming from. But, they seem to be doing a good job so far so lets get behind them and support the.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #19: Dec 17, 2010 06:44:41 pm
      Eddieo, honestly you sound just plain paranoid - understandable of course, but still i would suggest just lightening up a little. These men are smart businessmen, and i highly doubt they would risk the wrath of us fans by hiding debt. I fully believe that our club is debt free. I also believe in their capabilities, after seeing the tremendous job they have done - and are still doing - at the Red Sox. Just these last couple weeks they have made a couple of the biggest signings of the off-season, bringing in a couple players on big money deals. This is in response to a season that was quite underwhelming in comparison to what fans expect (sound familiar?)

Understand the skepticism, but at the same time maybe you should just give them time rather than condemning them straight off the bat.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #20: Dec 17, 2010 09:02:50 pm
       My concern about the new owners hiding debt is based solely on the market value of NESV, I have an idea of the market value due to the New York Times trying to sell there shares, if they sell there shares and we are told how much money they get for there shares, we will have a very good idea of the debt NESV hold, so now I can only go on how much money News Papers were saying the N.Y Times hope to get, which was up to $100 million for 16.6 %
       If they get $100million, this would make NESV worth $600 million, you then add up the assets of NESV and take away $600 million and you are left with the amount of debt the company hold.
       I may sound "just plain paranoid" but all I have done are some simple mathematics and it tells me that when NESV brought LFC they borrowed every single penny
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #21: Dec 17, 2010 10:26:32 pm
      My concern about the new owners hiding debt is based solely on the market value of NESV, I have an idea of the market value due to the New York Times trying to sell there shares, if they sell there shares and we are told how much money they get for there shares, we will have a very good idea of the debt NESV hold, so now I can only go on how much money News Papers were saying the N.Y Times hope to get, which was up to $100 million for 16.6 %
       If they get $100million, this would make NESV worth $600 million, you then add up the assets of NESV and take away $600 million and you are left with the amount of debt the company hold.
       I may sound "just plain paranoid" but all I have done are some simple mathematics and it tells me that when NESV brought LFC they borrowed every single penny

Here is where you lost me. In fact going thru your posts it's a broken record that just keeps getting played over and over again. Your theory is LFC is 100% leveraged, NESV has no money and the UEFA will scrap FFP rules because some rich owners will complain and go to court over it and all of this with no evidence other then some simple mathematics derived from numbers gotten from the Newspapers. Are you aware that perhaps there are structures within NESV with things such as Common Shares, Founders Shares and Preferred Shares? It is more then likely that all 3 of them exist as I have never been part of a deal setting up LP's (Which is what I do for a living) where this was not the case.

Plain and Simple mathematics does not cut it in high finance because there are so many variables it is impossible to apply. Once again at least on this side of the pond people are considered innocent until proven guilty...Once bitten, twice shy I can understand but the only similarities between H&G/NESV is the fact that they were all born in the same country..that's about it.

In regards to FFP, the richest owners love it because it creates a caste system in which a handful of clubs will operate at the highest levels while driving costs down due to lack of competition in the market...Football is going to turn even more into the have/have-nots then it already is.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has emerged as an unlikely ally to Uefa president Michel Platini's crack down on football clubs playing in Europe who spend beyond their means."It's mainly the owners that asked us to do something. Roman Abramovich, Silvio Berlusconi at AC Milan and Massimo Moratti at Inter," Platini said. "They do not want to fork out any more. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/6103375/Chelsea-owner-Roman-Abramovich-backs-Michel-Platinis-bid-for-financial-fair-play.html

I am really not trying to be a pr**k, I am just tired of conspiracy theories with no foundation at all I would prefer talking about the play on the pitch, however it seems that is also impossible because of H&G
      « Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010 10:51:39 pm by AZPatriot »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22: Dec 17, 2010 11:49:48 pm

No.
      They dont.

Ye of little faith.

Should you really be on here?

Quick Reply