Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Cascarino: Hodgson has turned Liverpool into a "bigger-budget Fulham"

Read 22512 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Dec 17, 2010 01:48:10 pm

Tony Cascarino has lambasted Roy Hodgson’s managerial reign at Anfield, suggesting the under-fire Liverpool boss is failing the club’s rich footballing traditions.

The former Republic of Ireland international claims the results under the ex-Fulham manager have not been good enough, but even more alarmingly for the club’s fans, are the manner in which these poor results have been achieved.

Citing the drab 0-0 draw against Utrecht on Wednesday night, the much maligned football pundit believes Hodgson’s tactics are far too similar to those he implemented at Craven Cottage, and criticises him for turning the footballing institution that is Liverpool into a “bigger-budget Fulham”.

Cascarino told the Times: “Any Liverpool manager has a duty to play with a certain style: fluent, attractive, attacking, passing football.

“Roy Hodgson is not only failing with the results, he's failing in his duty to the club's traditions and to the fans, and that's a pretty serious combination. If you haven't got style, you at least need results.

“The goalless draw against Utrecht in the Europa League on Wednesday confirmed that Hodgson's cautious tactics and conservative attitude have permeated the whole squad: because he picked a second-string team and the football was as unambitious and unexciting as it is when the first XI take to the field.

He continued: “Nine away games, one win and six losses is dreadful. That's relegation form, and even if you could argue that Liverpool no longer have a squad good enough for the top four, they ought to be challenging for the top six.

“It's not a new problem for Hodgson. With Fulham his record was: 2008-09, three away league wins; 2009-10, one away league win. It has to be the manager's tactics.

“Hodgson has quickly turned Liverpool into a bigger-budget Fulham: they go out, away from home, not to lose. They should be going out to win.

“Imagine Manchester United or Arsenal playing such dull football, given their reputation and past success.

“It wouldn't be tolerated. Nor should it be at Anfield even if the club isn't the force it once was.

“That's no excuse for failing to entertain and failing to act like the big team Liverpool still are.

He added: “Hodgson remains inflexible, conservative, old-fashioned.”

Here Here, Tick Tock Roy and thats not the sound of your pace maker, You'll be saying bye bye in January as I don't belive your flexible or talented enough to turn this sequence around.

The press are starting to turn on Roy and highlight his flaws as he's been found out, long may this continue.

MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Re: Cascarino: Hodgson has turned Liverpool into a "bigger-budget Fulham"
      Reply #1: Dec 17, 2010 02:04:39 pm
      Finally someone has the sense to point out that the spade is a spade. Why the hell did purslime appointed him in the first place? At this rate we will achieve nothing other than staying in the premiership. Talk about ambitions and trophies when Roy is around here and i will say you are deluded.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Dec 17, 2010 02:10:43 pm
      Jaysus Cascarino talking sense for once
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #3: Dec 17, 2010 02:16:58 pm
      Took a while for something of some truth to come out this guys mouth
      dawson99
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #4: Dec 17, 2010 02:18:49 pm
      Cascarino? what the feck does he know, even if he is right! Roys gone, thats a definate, just hope the new manager doesnt get the same abuse from the prepuscents as roy did

Just a pity it took so long for anyone to say it about Rafa as well eh!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Dec 17, 2010 02:20:55 pm
      Cascarino? what the feck does he know ?

He knows “Hodgson remains inflexible, conservative, old-fashioned.”

Thats good enough for me to agree with him. :D

dawson99
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #6: Dec 17, 2010 02:22:02 pm
      but we have started playing slightly further up. I know im massive minority here, I won;t call him names or wish him harm. I want us to win big at Fulham or he has to go.

It has been pretty dire though, but I'm deluded enough to still think we can turn that corner
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #7: Dec 17, 2010 02:24:12 pm
      Who is playing further up, we sat so far off Utrecht the other night it was unreal, we put F***ing 11 men behind the ball for most of the match. Surely your capable of seeing that.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8: Dec 17, 2010 02:29:20 pm
      Tuesday, March 16, 2010
      Cascarino: Benítez Style Of Football Is Not Fit For The Bernabéu Car park

The former Chelsea FC and Aston Villa forward Tony Cascarino believes Rafa Benitez must take responsibility for Liverpool FC’s woes this season.

The Republic of Ireland legend claims rumours of Real Madrid’s interest in Benitez are ludicrous because the Liverpool FC manager’s brand of football is clearly not suited to the Bernabeu.

Liverpool FC are currently struggling to finish inside the Premier League’s top four this season, and the ex-Aston Villa star suggests Benitez’s negative tactics are to blame.

Despite Liverpool FC’s woes this season the former Valencia coach continues to be linked with the Real Madrid job Cascarino clearly feels Benitez is ill-suited to it.

Liverpool FC have scored just nine goals in ten games, and with Portsmouth, Lille and Manchester United to come in the space of a week, Cascarino is unsure where their next goal will come from.

The former Aston Villa forward told the Times: “Rumours persist that Rafael BenĂ­tez is off to Real Madrid but, at the moment, his style of football is not fit for the BernabĂ©u car park.”

“It’s negative, defensive, spoiling, “nothing” football.”

“It reminds me of the England rugby union team, who cannot score tries and do not look like doing so.”

“Liverpool rarely look like scoring — only nine goals in ten games. What a bore, Rafa.”

nothing to see here obviously Cascarino loves liverpool

dawson99
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #9: Dec 17, 2010 02:29:48 pm
      I'm not counting Utrecht, that was a bunch of kids basically, and woeful. I'm concentrating more on the Spurs game and Newcastle as well to be honest which were more player mistakes than tactics. The fulham result is all I'm interested in at the moment, couldnt care less what happened on Wednesdays game, got bigger fish to fry. Yeah yeah we should win every game blah blah, but with our small squad and mediocre players we cant risk anyone in games where the result doesnt matter
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,314 posts | 1610 
      Reply #10: Dec 17, 2010 02:33:58 pm
      [
      It has been pretty dire though, but I'm deluded enough to still think we can turn that corner
      [/quote]Yep i think you must be if that is what you believe ,, Roy had a roasting on lfc.tv last night, poor Claire was fidgeting like she had a vibro stuck up her arse, secretly i think they all think roy is doomed but cant come out and say it ,i don't wish Roy harm he might be a good family man and all that ,but when talking in the context of our club i hate the c**t for what he has done and is still doing , we had a chance the other night to sell our club to a new generation of young fans ,and old owl face fcked it up totally for that alone he should never set foot in our ground again, cant really put down how i feel about him as it would probably get me banned ,suffice to say the very mention of his name and i get the road rage effect .
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #11: Dec 17, 2010 02:37:35 pm
      Tuesday, March 16, 2010
      Cascarino: Benítez Style Of Football Is Not Fit For The Bernabéu Car park

The former Chelsea FC and Aston Villa forward Tony Cascarino believes Rafa Benitez must take responsibility for Liverpool FC’s woes this season.

The Republic of Ireland legend claims rumours of Real Madrid’s interest in Benitez are ludicrous because the Liverpool FC manager’s brand of football is clearly not suited to the Bernabeu.

Liverpool FC are currently struggling to finish inside the Premier League’s top four this season, and the ex-Aston Villa star suggests Benitez’s negative tactics are to blame.

Despite Liverpool FC’s woes this season the former Valencia coach continues to be linked with the Real Madrid job Cascarino clearly feels Benitez is ill-suited to it.

Liverpool FC have scored just nine goals in ten games, and with Portsmouth, Lille and Manchester United to come in the space of a week, Cascarino is unsure where their next goal will come from.

The former Aston Villa forward told the Times: “Rumours persist that Rafael BenĂ­tez is off to Real Madrid but, at the moment, his style of football is not fit for the BernabĂ©u car park.”

“It’s negative, defensive, spoiling, “nothing” football.”

“It reminds me of the England rugby union team, who cannot score tries and do not look like doing so.”

“Liverpool rarely look like scoring — only nine goals in ten games. What a bore, Rafa.”

nothing to see here obviously Cascarino loves liverpool

Cascarino generally talks sh*t and always has loved to stick the boot into Liverpool any time I have had the misfortune of watching his punditry.  I've never agreed with him before but he is 100% correct here no matter what he said about Rafa.  That article bears no relevance to the current buffoon in charge of Liverpool FC. ;)

Still, if Tony Cascarino has cropped on to the mediocrity that is Roy Hodgson then its about time some of the supposed top pundits did the same.
      dawson99
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #12: Dec 17, 2010 02:38:35 pm
      It is f*cking annoying how a manager has the opportunity to manage a great team, and still fecks it up especially away. I'm sure he's learning, but i's taking way too long
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,314 posts | 1610 
      Reply #13: Dec 17, 2010 02:41:17 pm
      Your,e sure he is learning fckin hell he has been at it 35 years he should have had some sort of idea by now , the only thing he has learnt is how to lick the media,s ass.
      dawson99
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #14: Dec 17, 2010 02:45:17 pm
      Your,e sure he is learning fckin hell he has been at it 35 years he should have had some sort of idea by now , the only thing he has learnt is how to lick the media,s ass.

Compared to last season where after 5 years there was still stubbornness, yeah hes wining. but got to agree with s@int. I'm int he major insane minority of people still with a ray of hope, but a poor result against Fulham and he gotta go
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #15: Dec 17, 2010 02:45:57 pm
      he talks nonsense 99% of time but for once, he hit the nail on the head. good work.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Dec 17, 2010 02:46:33 pm
      Cascarino? what the feck does he know, even if he is right! Roys gone, thats a definate, just hope the new manager doesnt get the same abuse from the prepuscents as roy did

Just a pity it took so long for anyone to say it about Rafa as well eh!

. ...and what the F**k has Rafa got to do with this thread?

Seriously, you Newkit blow-ins do F**k all but whine on about how bad Benitez was. Get the F**k over it. This trying to wind every thread up to a 'Benitez' debate is way beyond a F***ing joke. F***ing WUMs the lot of you.

I know im massive minority here, I won;t call him names or wish him harm. I want us to win big at Fulham or he has to go.

i) There are an awful lot, (who want rid of Hodgson) who refuse to call him names. Had you the courtesy to read posts you would have known that.

ii) We're HOME to Fulham.

iii) So if we draw or win by only one goal - you'll be demanding Hodgson is sacked?

I actually very nearly choked with laughter at this. You just admitted you're deluded and you want us to take you serious? Aww for F**k'S sake.  :lmao:
      dawson99
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #17: Dec 17, 2010 02:50:04 pm
      I only mention the ex manager as people here are moaning saying how Roy won't change.
      you need to calm down mate, maybe an afternoon nap.

I'm sure not everyone calls him names but when 99 out of 100 posts are just bitter name calling I went with that.

I know we are at home, cheers for that, it's a turn of phrase.

not being a WUM, just stating facts, unlike the moaning bar stewards on most threads who have probably only followed football for a few years and are close to buying Citeh shirts.

I swear most people want us to lose so hes gone, and people are agreeing with Phil Babb and Cascarino FFS

its hilarious
      I'm actually close to missing Newkit, at least there were a couple fo decent posters on that site!
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #18: Dec 17, 2010 02:51:22 pm
      I don't see a reason to disagree with the two articles.

Last year Rafa was indeed too negative and defensive for a club having the traditions of lfc (ok I wouldn't have said "spoiling" and "nothing football", just "disapointing"). And considering that I think there are some reasons to doubt he would have succeeded in Madrid more than in Milan (if, staying one more year at Liverpool, he would probably have been far better than Roy).

This year and every year I can imagine with him in charge Hogdson is just far worse than the worst of Rafa, and turning Liverpool into a big budget Fulham.
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #19: Dec 17, 2010 02:51:51 pm
      well said son!
      now if only an ex liverpool player could come out and say that... to NESV, then we might see hodgson go
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Dec 17, 2010 02:59:28 pm
      I think the vast majority of us would agree that both this season and the last, the football that has been served up is and was at times dire to put it politley. The difference is for those who are bringing Benitez into the deabte is that Rafa had earned our respect and had earned in most peoples eyes another season, can any of the Roy apologists please tell me what the F**k Roy has earned here, other than the sack for leading us to our worst start in over 50 years with his boring half arsed negative tactics and his F***ing chin rubbing ?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Dec 17, 2010 03:04:56 pm
      I only mention the ex manager as people here are moaning saying how Roy won't change.

Who the F**k do you think you are trying to patronise fella?  

not being a WUM, just stating facts, unlike the moaning bar stewards on most threads who have probably only followed football for a few years and are close to buying Citeh shirts.

Not a F***ing WUM, eh? Yet you ridicule other posters as, moaning bas**rds (we can cuss on here) and glory hunters (Man City reference).  

I'm actually close to missing Newkit, at least there were a couple fo decent posters on that site!

So there ain't even a couple of decent (your words) posters on here? Well you could F**k right off back there, with my blessing if you want - no wait, you can't - you're banned, like most of the other blow-ins, for being a WUM, i'm guessing.

In your own words you are both "insane" and "deluded". You Sir are an imbecile.  >:D

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010 03:19:05 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #22: Dec 17, 2010 03:13:11 pm

I'm sure not everyone calls him names but when 99 out of 100 posts are just bitter name calling I went with that.

I know we are at home, cheers for that, it's a turn of phrase.

I swear most people want us to lose so hes gone, and people are agreeing with Phil Babb and Cascarino FFS

its hilarious

You've had time to adapt - stop pissing people off now.

If you miss Newkit so much then go back, no huge loss.

Quick Reply