Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Cascarino: Hodgson has turned Liverpool into a "bigger-budget Fulham"

Read 22580 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Re: Cascarino: Hodgson has turned Liverpool into a "bigger-budget Fulham"
      Reply #115: Dec 18, 2010 08:57:48 pm
      BUt in your opinion other people can't have opinion, because of your opinion that you can only have an opinion if you a current player/manager.

On current matters at Liverpool Football Club.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #116: Dec 18, 2010 09:00:46 pm
      Just because he happens to make sense shouldnt exclude him from the arguement.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #117: Dec 18, 2010 09:01:23 pm
      My opinion is that ex players,current players,people from within and the anti foreign media had it in for our previous manager and that he was undermimed by the lot.

Now we have someone who is not attached to the club making a point about our current manager and people get the hump saying it does not matter what he thinks because the media is bullshit,well if that was or is the case then why do some agree that comments levelled at our previous manager were right to do so for the better of the club.

Because some people believe the press. So if the opinion expressed in the media agreed with their own personal opinion, they're going to agree with it. Like you are doing Cascarino. But whenever anybody expresses an opinion you don't agree with, the media are on a crusade against the club. Double standards if you want my honest opinion.

I personally don't agree or disagree with anything in the press, nor do I need it to back my own argument up. I will form my opinion without some tosser in the media telling me what I should be believing.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #118: Dec 18, 2010 09:03:16 pm
      Just because he happens to make sense shouldnt exclude him from the arguement.

As I keep saying, those in the press who are still praising Hodgson will make sense to them and those fans who are still behind Hodgson. But we're not to believe those press stories are we? So why believe Cascarino? Just because he's having a dig at Hodgson therefore it's gospel.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #119: Dec 18, 2010 09:04:04 pm
      Because some people believe the press. So if the opinion expressed in the media agreed with their own personal opinion, they're going to agree with it. Like you are doing Cascarino. But whenever anybody expresses an opinion you don't agree with, the media are on a crusade against the club. Double standards if you want my honest opinion.

I personally don't agree or disagree with anything in the press, nor do I need it to back my own argument up. I will form my opinion without some tosser in the media telling me what I should be believing.

I think the point is, that the press are starting to see hodgson for what he actually is - a stone age spoofer - and that after all the bullshit we have had to put up with from the media, it's a little breath of fresh air, especially as he got the job by media acclaim in the first place.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #120: Dec 18, 2010 09:06:27 pm

100% agree with what you are saying but most fans would agree with the assessment of cascarino.

We are looking for people who have a media voice to raise the profile of roy's tenure at our club as a very poor decision,Even if its people like cascarino.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #121: Dec 18, 2010 09:07:13 pm
      I think the point is, that the press are starting to see hodgson for what he actually is - a stone age spoofer - and that after all the bullshit we have had to put up with from the media, it's a little breath of fresh air, especially as he got the job by media acclaim in the first place.

And when the press see things that aren't going with the general consensous, it's bullshit. Am I right in that thinking? (of course I'm not, because people won't admit to their double standards).

Media is bullshit, end of.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #122: Dec 18, 2010 09:09:28 pm
      100% agree with what you are saying but most fans would agree with the assessment of cascarino.

We are looking for people who have a media voice to raise the profile of roy's tenure at our club as a very poor decision,Even if its people like cascarino.

Why though? It's not going to have any impact on whether or not the board sack him. The strongest voices will always be those of the fans.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #123: Dec 18, 2010 09:12:08 pm
      And when the press see things that aren't going with the general consensous, it's bullshit. Am I right in that thinking? (of course I'm not, because people won't admit to their double standards).

Media is bullshit, end of.

I agree - but after so much negative press, it's only natural that people will look at this in a positive light.

Hypocrisy?
      Yes - but also understandable given the sh*t we have taken over the years.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #124: Dec 18, 2010 09:13:13 pm
      Why though? It's not going to have any impact on whether or not the board sack him. The strongest voices will always be those of the fans.

If that is true why did we lose our best manager in the past 2 decades? Why were not our voices heard then?.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #125: Dec 18, 2010 09:23:31 pm
      As I keep saying, those in the press who are still praising Hodgson will make sense to them and those fans who are still behind Hodgson. But we're not to believe those press stories are we? So why believe Cascarino? Just because he's having a dig at Hodgson therefore it's gospel.
      i believe him because i agree with him 100% what a pity it is that an outsider has to come and bring some relaity to the situation.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #126: Dec 18, 2010 09:36:16 pm
      If that is true why did we lose our best manager in the past 2 decades? Why were not our voices heard then?.

Because we hired a Frenchman to replace him to keep up with the rest of the Premiership and went continental. Something, many fans wanted.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #127: Dec 18, 2010 09:38:19 pm
      Because we hired a Frenchman to replace him to keep up with the rest of the Premiership and went continental. Something, many fans wanted.

So you think Roy Evans was our best manager of the last 20 years?

Really?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #128: Dec 18, 2010 09:44:24 pm

Really?

Had us playing the best football I've seen from a Liverpool side in the Premiership. Had us involved in our two greatest Premeirship matches - 4-3 against Newcastle 96 and 97. Never had us outside the top four. Took us to two domestic cup finals (only Houllier had more in the Premiership era). Built a F***ing great side based around the youth system. Took over when the club was in a total mess. Interacted with the fans. Didn't complain if things didn't go his way, he just got on with it. Had a Liverpool staff.

His only failure was managing the club while United were at their finest. If United didn't exist in the 90s, we'd of walked the League every year under Evans.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #129: Dec 18, 2010 09:46:38 pm

Really?

Yes
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #130: Dec 18, 2010 09:50:56 pm
      Had us playing the best football I've seen from a Liverpool side in the Premiership. Had us involved in our two greatest Premeirship matches - 4-3 against Newcastle 96 and 97. Never had us outside the top four. Took us to two domestic cup finals (only Houllier had more in the Premiership era). Built a F***ing great side based around the youth system. Took over when the club was in a total mess. Interacted with the fans. Didn't complain if things didn't go his way, he just got on with it. Had a Liverpool staff.

His only failure was managing the club while United were at their finest. If United didn't exist in the 90s, we'd of walked the League every year under Evans.

Fair enough - but let's not forget the spice boys etc and the fact that another manager had us playing some superb football, and made us number one in europe, as well as taking us to the very brink of the title under much harder conditions.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #131: Dec 18, 2010 09:56:14 pm

I take it you dont think much of rafa? Evans was betrayed by the board and that frenchman.

Fair enough - but let's not forget the spice boys etc and the fact that another manager had us playing some superb football, and made us number one in europe, as well as taking us to the very brink of the title under much harder conditions.

Lets not foget some great eye candy football played under his tenure and some great european and domestic scalpes taken too.
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #132: Dec 18, 2010 11:06:42 pm
      This is as rare as rockin horse sh*te; Cascarino making sense. He is a knob but he is bang on the money here
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #133: Dec 18, 2010 11:48:26 pm

The spice boys was more overhyped sh*te by the media. Yes there was some incidents but it was blown well out of proportion.

Yes we did have another manager who had us playing great football for about six months in six years. The back end of the 08/09 season was the only sustained time we played superb football under Rafa. We were on the brink of winning the League under Rafa, we were under Evans as well. Evans, like Rafa, was one or two players short as well as throwing League titles away. And yes Rafa got us to be number 1 in Europe, but we were 5th and 7th in the League at times as well.

I also don't believe the League was harder two years ago than say 15 years ago. Just different. For example under Evans, Arsenal probably had the best back four in the Premiership era (Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn). United had the best keeper in the Premiership era while Evans was managing us. Whereas Chelsea now have their best side in the Premiership, United had possibly the best individual in the Premiership (Ronaldo) while Rafa was manager. Spurs and City have overtaken the likes of Newcastle/Leeds/Blackburn/Notts Forest.

Qualifying for Europe has also become a must for clubs now, whereas under Evans winning domestic cups was more important than winning the UEFA Cup (which is what we were in most seasons due to fact it wasn't the top four back then that qualified for the European Cup - something I think it's wrong by the way it should be Champions and Champions alone in the Champions League) That reasoning of the top four made it easier for Rafa to get us to number one in Europe as well as he could be in Europe's premier competition for most seasons due to this rule - Roy Evans was in the UEFA or Cup Winner's Cup. Still, getting to number one in Europe was a massive achievement.

I take it you dont think much of rafa? Evans was betrayed by the board and that frenchman.

No, I think highly of Rafa Benitez. I think he did some great things at the club. I also believe Roy Evans to be our best manager in the Premiership era, possibly me being biased towards my first real Liverpool manager and the tears I cried at Roy's leaving press conference. He was filling up with tears which has also put him up there with my Liverpool idols.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #134: Dec 19, 2010 12:05:06 am
      Evans was a good manager but was exploited by the players,however this is about the comments about roy's tenure at the club and what a disaster it has been highlighted by cascarino who is some peoples eye's in a no one but at least he gave 'air' time to our plight.

This is where you have to show some respect or a nod of appreciation for speaking out as ex red or legends have backed roy,could that be down to they dont want any ripples regarding the freebies they get off the club?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #135: Dec 19, 2010 12:11:31 am
      Back on topic.

I honestly don't think the press are starting to see Hodgson for what he is mate. A lot of them will know what he is already I feel. I think the true fact here is that the press are having to go back on their words about Roy being a good manager. Which of course does not stand well in the media.

So in turn, the ex players who played for rival teams who are very much involved and have carved a career out of the media, are jumping in feet first with the 'knowledgeable' opinions. It paves the way for other 'knowledgeable' media people to get involved. And of course, provides a passage for no marks like Cascarino to rub some salt into the wounds, whilst getting people on board in the process.

Honestly, it's only best to agree with the media when they say you're the best.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #136: Dec 19, 2010 12:22:08 am
      Back on topic.

I honestly don't think the press are starting to see Hodgson for what he is mate. A lot of them will know what he is already I feel. I think the true fact here is that the press are having to go back on their words about Roy being a good manager. Which of course does not stand well in the media.

So in turn, the ex players who played for rival teams who are very much involved and have carved a career out of the media, are jumping in feet first with the 'knowledgeable' opinions. It paves the way for other 'knowledgeable' media people to get involved. And of course, provides a passage for no marks like Cascarino to rub some salt into the wounds, whilst getting people on board in the process.

Honestly, it's only best to agree with the media when they say you're the best.

I could have worded it better.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #137: Dec 19, 2010 12:33:37 am

See what you mean. I was only replying to you in the first two sentences mate. Thought your post was a good one to bring the focus back on Woy rather than Roy as well.

Quick Reply