Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Cascarino: Hodgson has turned Liverpool into a "bigger-budget Fulham"

Read 22510 times
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Re: Cascarino: Hodgson has turned Liverpool into a "bigger-budget Fulham"
      Reply #138: Dec 19, 2010 01:02:17 am
      Cascarino as usual is a useless tw*t.What he should have said,is that the gobsh*te has turned us into a discredited force around Europe.

To compare us with Fulham,is an insult in itself.

No disrespect meant to the Fulham supporters,they are top dollar,like the Pompey fans,but ffs,we are Liverpool FC,we are one of the top clubs in Europe.Whilst no-one can live on history,we can rightly expect to be "managed" in such a way to compete at that level.

So far our Manager has proved tactically inept,to manage the demands of a second rate European competition,alongside the rigours of the premiership,and our new owners,have adopted the "Nero tactic",of fiddling while Rome burns.Time to act "Board",we the militant fans are becoming restless once again.
      « Last Edit: Dec 19, 2010 01:18:59 am by JD »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,141 posts | 1619 
      Reply #139: Dec 19, 2010 03:31:12 am
      Nobody actually matters in the media apart from Sky. I mean, Murdoch owns them am I right? And he also owns a number of nationals. They have massive influence over what fans think (despite what I said in my previous post). Until Sky/Murdoch turns on Roy, nobody will pay attention.

People take Skysports as gospel, no matter what you think of them. And until they turn on him, then what no marks like Tony Cascarino say will mean nothing because, well because, he's a no mark. Sky are seen by some as being the be all and end all to some, and although I believe most on this forum can form their own opinion, many can't and they need Sky to guide them.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #140: Dec 19, 2010 03:41:53 am
      Had us playing the best football I've seen from a Liverpool side in the Premiership. Had us involved in our two greatest Premeirship matches - 4-3 against Newcastle 96 and 97. Never had us outside the top four. Took us to two domestic cup finals (only Houllier had more in the Premiership era). Built a f**king great side based around the youth system. Took over when the club was in a total mess. Interacted with the fans. Didn't complain if things didn't go his way, he just got on with it. Had a Liverpool staff.

His only failure was managing the club while United were at their finest. If United didn't exist in the 90s, we'd of walked the League every year under Evans.

Have to agree, had us playing some wonderful, effective stuff. The only things missing from his teams was a reliable keeper and height in the team. would love to see that type of football back. it worth the entrance fees back then.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #141: Dec 19, 2010 05:52:09 am
      Isn't it amazing when someone talks sense they are slated because they never played for Liverpool.

What Cascarino said was true if someone disagrees debate me and tell me why not, don't give me this F***ing sh*t that you don't want the media to talk about liverpool.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #142: Dec 19, 2010 06:46:54 am
      wether good or bad liverpool fc will always be talked about in the media and it would be a very sad day if our club was never mentioned at all.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #143: Dec 19, 2010 07:38:20 am
      It's very clear that there are very few unbiased journalists out there, and a lot of them don't like Liverpool.
      Most fans of other clubs I know say Hodgson isn't a miracle worker and can't be expected to do any better with the team that Rafa left him with, Where do they get their opinions from? It's not from watching Liverpool week in week out and following the internal matters of the club ( most of them believe Rafa was given huge sums of money to spend on players, which he wasted).No they form their opinions from Reading bullshit articles from ill-informed journalists in the media.
      It's about time that someone in the media spelled it out like it really is for once. Well in Cascarino. :gt-happyup:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #144: Dec 19, 2010 09:01:57 am
      It's always been the case that these gobshites i.e. pundits, journalists, uncle Tom Cobbly and all are on a kick back so their opinions are self serving and completely irrelevant.
      The most likely situation is that NESV are unaffected by any of this bilge and decisions have been made which will be disclosed in due course.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #145: Dec 19, 2010 09:40:44 am
      The spice boys was more overhyped sh*te by the media. Yes there was some incidents but it was blown well out of proportion.

Yes we did have another manager who had us playing great football for about six months in six years. The back end of the 08/09 season was the only sustained time we played superb football under Rafa. We were on the brink of winning the League under Rafa, we were under Evans as well. Evans, like Rafa, was one or two players short as well as throwing League titles away. And yes Rafa got us to be number 1 in Europe, but we were 5th and 7th in the League at times as well.

I also don't believe the League was harder two years ago than say 15 years ago. Just different. For example under Evans, Arsenal probably had the best back four in the Premiership era (Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn). United had the best keeper in the Premiership era while Evans was managing us. Whereas Chelsea now have their best side in the Premiership, United had possibly the best individual in the Premiership (Ronaldo) while Rafa was manager. Spurs and City have overtaken the likes of Newcastle/Leeds/Blackburn/Notts Forest.

Qualifying for Europe has also become a must for clubs now, whereas under Evans winning domestic cups was more important than winning the UEFA Cup (which is what we were in most seasons due to fact it wasn't the top four back then that qualified for the European Cup - something I think it's wrong by the way it should be Champions and Champions alone in the Champions League) That reasoning of the top four made it easier for Rafa to get us to number one in Europe as well as he could be in Europe's premier competition for most seasons due to this rule - Roy Evans was in the UEFA or Cup Winner's Cup. Still, getting to number one in Europe was a massive achievement.

No, I think highly of Rafa Benitez. I think he did some great things at the club. I also believe Roy Evans to be our best manager in the Premiership era, possibly me being biased towards my first real Liverpool manager and the tears I cried at Roy's leaving press conference. He was filling up with tears which has also put him up there with my Liverpool idols.

I agree with the majority of your post but the bit I highlighted doesn't sit well with me.. ;D..
      In fact I'd go as far as saying that's actually quite a ludicrous statement..
      All you did is pick out the "best of the best" football we played under Rafa???
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #146: Dec 19, 2010 06:05:09 pm
      The spice boys was more overhyped sh*te by the media. Yes there was some incidents but it was blown well out of proportion.

Yes we did have another manager who had us playing great football for about six months in six years. The back end of the 08/09 season was the only sustained time we played superb football under Rafa. We were on the brink of winning the League under Rafa, we were under Evans as well. Evans, like Rafa, was one or two players short as well as throwing League titles away. And yes Rafa got us to be number 1 in Europe, but we were 5th and 7th in the League at times as well.

I also don't believe the League was harder two years ago than say 15 years ago. Just different. For example under Evans, Arsenal probably had the best back four in the Premiership era (Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn). United had the best keeper in the Premiership era while Evans was managing us. Whereas Chelsea now have their best side in the Premiership, United had possibly the best individual in the Premiership (Ronaldo) while Rafa was manager. Spurs and City have overtaken the likes of Newcastle/Leeds/Blackburn/Notts Forest.

Qualifying for Europe has also become a must for clubs now, whereas under Evans winning domestic cups was more important than winning the UEFA Cup (which is what we were in most seasons due to fact it wasn't the top four back then that qualified for the European Cup - something I think it's wrong by the way it should be Champions and Champions alone in the Champions League) That reasoning of the top four made it easier for Rafa to get us to number one in Europe as well as he could be in Europe's premier competition for most seasons due to this rule - Roy Evans was in the UEFA or Cup Winner's Cup. Still, getting to number one in Europe was a massive achievement.

No, I think highly of Rafa Benitez. I think he did some great things at the club. I also believe Roy Evans to be our best manager in the Premiership era, possibly me being biased towards my first real Liverpool manager and the tears I cried at Roy's leaving press conference. He was filling up with tears which has also put him up there with my Liverpool idols.

Was it F**k?

Players swanning around thinking they can do whatever the F**k they like and say whatever the F**k they like to Evans, no wonder Houllier was brought in. People slag off his schoolteacher approach, but it was needed to bring the overpaid cu*ts back into line.

About Evans going close for the league, because unfortunately we were never that close, after clawing ourselves back into it in 96 after beating Newcastle, we then went and blew it at Coventry City, then blowing it at home the following season again to Coventry and let's not forget the unforgettable fourth in a two horse race!

And I'm sorry mate, Evans doesn't even come close to being our best manager in any era, sad to say, but sometimes the truth hurts and the big mouthed cu*ts should be the first apologising - like Jamie Redknapp, Stan Collymore, Neil Ruddock, Paul Ince, Steve Mcmanaman and Robbie Fowler.

Sorry Robbie was great but there were also times when he played and he literally left the whole of Anfield thinking "What the F**k is the matter with the lad" everytime he had a couldn't be arsed performance and there were a few.

They got the Spice Boys tag for a reason, because they loved going out partying and they didn't do themselves any favours by continually being photographed and interviewed for mags like Loaded!
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #147: Dec 19, 2010 06:38:22 pm
      Evans side was the last side with the true Liverpool ethos, yes Huyton Evans was a soft arse who was rode roughshot over by the players, but you cannot deny the type of football we played under him. When GED came in he did improve the discipline but lost the attacking mentality that should be Liverpool. In my opinion it's been downhill ever since.

People said the boot room was out if date I say F**k them it was just that Evans was to nice a guy to take the reigns and everyone else since didn't know how to recreate it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #148: Dec 19, 2010 07:19:57 pm

Liverpool Echo

DANNY MURPHY believes Roy Hodgson will guide Liverpool back into the Champions League this season.....

“If I was a betting man, I would guarantee they are going to finish in the top four,”
      he said.

“You will get a more successful Liverpool there this season, but the fans are realistic at the moment about what’s achievable.

“...I don’t think the fans expect them to win the Premier League this season - they are more realistic than that
      I think some stability, getting back into the Champions League and getting extra money in is what’s needed. Roy will do that. He’s a winner.”

Quick question s@int: do you believe Danny is right about Hodgson?  :angel:

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #149: Dec 19, 2010 08:07:22 pm
      Quick question s@int: do you believe Danny is right about Hodgson?  :angel: 

I will let you know in 3 games mate. The clock is ticking but the alarm hasn't rung yet. I certainly believe we will finish higher this season than last, but Cl may be a bit too ambitous at this stage. I certainly wouldn't guarantee it!....... thats just asking for trouble :)

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #150: Dec 19, 2010 08:09:29 pm
      I will let you know in 3 games mate. The clock is ticking but the alarm hasn't rung yet. I certainly believe we will finish higher this season than last

I admire your optimism, but that will never happen if Roy's here, he doesn't like away games.

History, tells you that. ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #151: Dec 19, 2010 08:15:05 pm
      I admire your optimism, but that will never happen if Roy's here, he doesn't like away games.

History, tells you that. ;)

History shows us that almost anything is possible ..... if you believe!

As far as the away games goes, we only won one in the last 6 months of the previous manager, so all Roy has done is fail to improve a poor record .......he didn't start it. 
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #152: Dec 19, 2010 08:15:29 pm
       Was it last season that we got a "guarantee" we'd get into the top four? the years come so quick these days I lose track of it all.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #153: Dec 19, 2010 08:17:34 pm
      Was it last season that we got a "guarantee" we'd get into the top four? the years come so quick these days I lose track of it all.

"You might well think that; I couldn't possibly comment :)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #154: Dec 19, 2010 08:19:02 pm

As far as the away games goes, we only won one in the last 6 months of the previous manager, so all Roy has done is fail to improve a poor record .......he didn't start it.  

Maybe not but didn't Roy "Guarantee" us to get back to the Liverpool way ?

The only Liverpool I've ever witnessed serve up any where near the sh*te Roy is serving up as the Liverpool way, was Souness's Liverpool.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #155: Dec 19, 2010 08:21:25 pm

That guarantee came after being constantly asked by cu*ts like Andy Burton from sky whether we'd finish in fourth place. It's funny how Roy has never been constantly asked that question, isn't it?

Remember his cozy chat with Keys and Gray after Villa, they had a joke about whether that puts Liverpool in the title race as we were 10 points behind; rather than just say: "we want to go on a good run and see where it takes us" - they all had a good laugh as though it was the Blackpool manager who'd been asked the question.

those years you lose track off, they'd be the ones of every Liverpool game being sold out, with not a chance of any tickets being left for the kop on the day of the game, unlike Fulham yesterday for instance.

There is a reason for all of this?
      « Last Edit: Dec 19, 2010 10:24:34 pm by HUYTON RED »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #156: Dec 19, 2010 08:28:19 pm
      The impossible take time mate, we havent won anything for 4 years, to expect a new manager to come in and suddenly turn us into title winners without a huge transfer budget is asking a lot.

FFS there are only three players at the club who have won anything with Liverpool.

I wouldn't worry too much, if he doesn't turn things around he will be gone, but its more important to get it right than get it done quickly. I would rather wait till the summer and get the right man than do it now and be stuck with the wrong one.       
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #157: Dec 19, 2010 09:11:50 pm
      Cascarino is a dick, but he has got it right this time.

Roy is definitely benefiting from a 'love-in' with parts of the press.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #158: Dec 19, 2010 09:19:19 pm
      The impossible take time mate, we havent won anything for 4 years, to expect a new manager to come in and suddenly turn us into title winners without a huge transfer budget is asking a lot.

FFS there are only three players at the club who have won anything with Liverpool.

I wouldn't worry too much, if he doesn't turn things around he will be gone, but its more important to get it right than get it done quickly. I would rather wait till the summer and get the right man than do it now and be stuck with the wrong one.       
      Wait till the summer to pick the right man YES.Keep this clown in charge until then NO.Kenny to take control for the rest of season and settle down the players to leave a good a basis for the ''Right''man to start with.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #159: Dec 19, 2010 09:33:16 pm
      Wait till the summer to pick the right man YES.Keep this clown in charge until then NO.Kenny to take control for the rest of season and settle down the players to leave a good a basis for the ''Right''man to start with.

Sounds like a plan to me mate, and if things continue the way they are going it will have my backing.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #160: Dec 19, 2010 10:15:39 pm
      If we wait till the summer, finish mid table etc, we'll lose some big players.  We need to take a chance and aim for the top 4.  We're nearly half way through the season and all we know is we are not scoring enough goals as Roy sets his team out not to lose.  That is unacceptable for us.

If it doesn't work out, then at least it gives a message to the players and fans alike that the club is prepared to act.

Something needs to happen very soon or we'll be watching our new no.9 Carlton Cole!!!!!

Quick Reply