Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Kenny Dalglish : Terracing a "Huge Insult" to 96

Read 7692 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Dec 17, 2010 09:54:43 pm

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1211823-terracing-return-is-a-huge-insult-to-hillsborough-victims,-says-kenny-dalglish.html

"Kenny Dalglish has branded plans to reintroduce standing at football grounds as a "huge insult" to the Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough.

Parliament is set to vote tomorrow on a private member's bill, tabled by Liberal Democrat MP Don Foster, which would allow league clubs to construct safe terraced areas at their stadiums and has already been backed by various supporter liason groups.

All-seater stadia was introduced in the top two tiers of English football after on the advice of the Taylor Report, drawn up a year after 96 Reds fans were killed at Sheffield Wednesday's ground before their FA Cup semi-final with Nottingham Forest on April 15 1989.

Dalglish was the Liverpool manager at the time and believes that the proposed legislation is disrespectful to the victims of Hillsborough, especially as their bereaved families are still campaigning for justice for their loved ones 21 years since the tragedy.

He said: "To me, I think safe standing is a bit of a contradiction in terms. It might be safe enough if you're there alone but unless it's managed and looked after properly, then I don't see how it could be safe.

"The football fans at Hillsborough in '89 put their trust in the authorities to look after them, to make sure that standing was safe.

"People are going through the process at the moment to get the justice that they've waited so long for and hugely deserve. I think it's really a bit insensitive for someone to put this forward.

"It's alright standing there if there's only one or two of you in a 30,000 crowd but when you start to get people involved and if it's not handled properly, it will always be a problem.

"I don't think it's a coincidence also that there's been less problems with ground since they've been made all-seater. For me, I can't understand the logic in it. And I think it's a huge insult to the people who lost loved ones at Hillsborough and are fighting for justice.

"If they want to have a discussion about it then put it back until they get a ruling on their outstanding legal cases that are going on at the moment."

Last week Liverpool fans reacted angrily after American journalist Alex Beam alleged that Hillsborough was the result of a 'soccer riot'. A club spokesman also condemned the comments in conjunction with the Hillsborough Family Support Group."

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Kenny Dalglish : Terracing a "Huge Insult" to 96
      Reply #1: Dec 17, 2010 11:48:54 pm
      With all respect, I have to disagree with Kenny. Terracing, done correctly, is perfectly safe. The Pens of the 70's and 80's were not. I don't agree the principal of standing was a cause of Hillsborough. We all know the main causes.

The Kop stands during all big games anyway and everything is perfectly fine. Germany has shown us safe standing stands is just that, perfectly safe.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2: Dec 18, 2010 10:26:41 am
      'Safe' standing will always be a contentious issue, especially for us. Maybe it could be safe, but just the idea of it and the thoughts it provokes is enough for me to side with Kenny.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #3: Dec 18, 2010 05:03:43 pm
      It is always going to be a highly volatile subject in the context of LFC and Hillsborough, more so to the people directly involved in the horror.
      If it were to be brought back and it would have to be a matter of choice, the concept of standing supporters would have to be entirely re thought, no more cattle pen similarities but a well ordered plan of action with every eventuality covered and safety to the fore.
      Kenny sees terraced areas as an insult to the 96 but if the right steps are undertaken eventually it could even be approved by the people who now oppose it and become a tribute instead of an insult to the memory of the 96.
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2010 05:37:35 pm by stuey »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #4: Dec 19, 2010 01:55:54 am
      Safe standing:

Looks fine to me. Looks safer than current seating.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #5: Feb 02, 2011 07:16:48 pm
      Was the Terrace problems due to the actual layout and dynamics of the terrace themselves or the lack of proper safety rules, exits and monitoring by stewards and police?  

I thought Hillsborough was not necessarily the fault of a terrace but the design of the surrounding exits, the police allowing more in then could hold and no proper relief for people to move around and leave..

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #6: Feb 05, 2011 02:54:28 am
      Was the Terrace problems due to the actual layout and dynamics of the terrace themselves or the lack of proper safety rules, exits and monitoring by stewards and police? 

I thought Hillsborough was not necessarily the fault of a terrace but the design of the surrounding exits, the police allowing more in then could hold and no proper relief for people to move around and leave..

Hillsborough wasn't an open terrace, it had pens, the policing was a joke and the ground's safety licence was ten years out of date and thats just for starters.

To be honest if you really wanted the whole facts about the disaster look no further than Hillsborough: The Truth by Phil Scraton.

bradders
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      • since I was knee high to a grasshopper!
      Reply #7: Feb 27, 2011 03:59:55 am
      Hillsborough wasn't an open terrace, it had pens, the policing was a joke and the ground's safety licence was ten years out of date and thats just for starters.

To be honest if you really wanted the whole facts about the disaster look no further than Hillsborough: The Truth by Phil Scraton.

It is an excellent book!  I bought it to ensure I got my facts right about Hillsborough for a talk I was doing (Kenny Dalglish- The Liverpool years, which unfortunately meant that I had to cover Heysel and Hillsborough).  It's informative and very clearly written.  Recommended reading to anyone who's interested in learning more.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #8: Feb 27, 2011 05:24:58 pm
      Safe standing:

Looks fine to me. Looks safer than current seating.
      How is our current seating not safe?
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #9: Feb 27, 2011 07:48:32 pm
      How is our current seating not safe?

Not saying it's not. Just saying that's even safer.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #10: Feb 27, 2011 08:27:25 pm
      Fair enough mate.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #11: Feb 27, 2011 10:01:42 pm
      With all respect to Kenny and those who oppose who standing, I have to disagree on this issue - standing was not responsible for Hillsborough.
      kopite94
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #12: Mar 04, 2011 02:21:11 pm
      I agree completely with kenny, Coming from a family that lost someone at Hillsborough risking anything like that happening again is ludicrous, The seats are a way of determining that everybody in the stadium is safe, how can stewards/police see everything when everybody is standing, admittedly in the kop we do stand for most games, but thats only because the 2nd row always find the need to stand meaning that the 3rd row, then the 4th, so we stand because our view is hindered by "constant standing"
      I think the police and stewards should enforce this rule more

Quick Reply