Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Southampton)

Read 18178 times
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Southampton)
      Dec 20, 2010 02:44:41 pm
      Liverpool have joined the hunt for Southampton teenage midfield ace Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain but face a major battle to land him.

Southampton have already warned off would be suitors by saying it would take Theo Walcott money for them to consider allowing the player to leave. Arsenal, who are also said to be interested, paid over £10million for Walcott's services back in 2006.

The number of clubs watching the England under-18 international reads like a who's who of English football but Southampton are determined to keep him unless someone comes up with the right sort of offer.

Reds boss Roy Hodgson is looking to build his own side at Anfield and Oxlade-Chamberlain is on his wanted list.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/reds-look-to-midfield-ace

What a name  ???
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Southampton)
      Reply #1: Dec 28, 2010 06:52:34 pm
      skysports_ed Ed Chamberlin
      Damien Comolli at St Mary's to watch Alex Chamberlain today. Uh oh. Nigel Adkins "we are not looking to let Alex go".
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #2: Dec 28, 2010 07:15:16 pm
      Scored today if I'm not mistaken.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #3: Dec 28, 2010 11:48:57 pm
      Scored today if I'm not mistaken.

sure did 4-1 win
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #4: Dec 28, 2010 11:56:27 pm
      Exiting youngster this. 17 years of age and 6 goals in 20 appearances for Soton this season. Made his pro debut in March at the age of 16. Can definitely picture him as a good signing for us. :)
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #5: Dec 29, 2010 12:00:58 am
      Comolli was watching him today and he had a blinder apparently.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #6: Dec 29, 2010 10:51:59 am
      He seems a really good prospect, but what about his position and attributes?! Does any1 know more?!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #7: Dec 29, 2010 03:58:31 pm
      According to the Saints website he used to play centre mid but from what I've understood he's been playing for the first team on the wing. Meant to be very pacy and knows where the goal is.

10 million is being touted as a likely price though.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #8: Dec 31, 2010 12:24:15 pm
      Apparently we're in for this lad.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #9: Dec 31, 2010 12:30:27 pm
      ... The F**k?

WHO?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Dec 31, 2010 01:13:50 pm
      How good are we talking? Sterling? Suso?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11: Dec 31, 2010 01:42:11 pm
      How good are we talking? Sterling? Suso?

Wouldn't rate him with the same potential of Suso put it that way. Also heard he can have bit of an attitude problem at times, sulky if things aren't going his way.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Dec 31, 2010 01:44:16 pm
      Did he play against our Reserves last year. Think he did. Was alright, but for 10 million he is no better than who we have
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      Reply #13: Dec 31, 2010 02:39:38 pm
      Did he play against our Reserves last year. Think he did. Was alright, but for 10 million he is no better than who we have

Exactly why I asked. The fee being mentioned seems extreme. Why pay that when we have the likes of the 2 lads mentioned plus Silva and Ngoo for example
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Jan 01, 2011 06:08:32 pm
      Rather 10m being put in to the lads who are already here. Suso, Sterling, Silva, Coady, Wisdom, Ngoo, Ince. Let's get serious about our own youth.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #15: Jan 01, 2011 10:23:46 pm
      Rather 10m being put in to the lads who are already here. Suso, Sterling, Silva, Coady, Wisdom, Ngoo, Ince. Let's get serious about our own youth.
      Don't know if woy has even heard of these players since they are not 30+
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #16: Jan 11, 2011 08:20:40 pm
      Damien is watching Southampton vs Oldham at the moment, and Alex has just scored.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #17: Jan 11, 2011 11:28:04 pm
      Thats twice he's been seen in the stands watching him.

Can see us putting a bid in.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #18: Jan 12, 2011 02:24:30 am
      One thing Kenny will be eager to do is to start getting more youth players promoted. Never saw it from Rafa which disappointed me and was unlikely to ever see it from Roy seeing as he's very dependent on experienced some will say over the hill players.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #19: Jan 12, 2011 04:09:40 am
      Whiskey Nose was in the stands too yesterday, along with Comolli, watching him. ( DailyMail )
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 12, 2011 01:07:38 pm
      Manchester United join Arsenal and Liverpool in race to secure £10m 'buy to loan' deal for Southampton star Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      Southampton teenager Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is poised for a move to Arsenal, Liverpool or Manchester United in a £10 million deal this month but is likely to be loaned back to the League One club for the rest of the season, talkaloadofbull.com UK can reveal.

The three Premier League big guns have all made clear their interest in the England Under-18 attacking midfielder and are ready to begin charm offensives to lure the son of former England international Mark Chamberlain.

Liverpool appear to be in the box seat as Oxlade-Chamberlain is a Liverpool supporter and believes he would get more opportunities in the short and long-term in the Merseysiders’ set-up.

Anfield director of football strategy Damien Comolli watched the 17-year-old for the second time in a fortnight on Tuesday night as he scored in Southampton’s 6-0 drubbing of Oldham, but the Frenchman was joined in the Boundary Park stands by United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who was also keeping a close eye on Ben Amos, on loan at Oldham from Old Trafford, and Southampton - United's opponents in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Southampton will demand in excess of £10m for a player who club insiders rate as a better prospect than Theo Walcott at the same age. The south coast club are not desperate for a financial lifeline and are ready to wait and secure the best possible deal for the player, who is not 18 until next August.

“He will get sold, probably this month, and will be loaned back to Southampton,” an insider told talkaloadofbull.com UK. “Every club in the country is looking at him but Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United are the most keen.

“He is a Liverpool supporter and, if that means anything, it would make them slight favourites. His Dad is a bright fellow and very influential in the final decision and he wants Alex to go somewhere where he will get a chance.”
      talkaloadofbull.com UK understands that Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United would all be willing to buy Oxlade-Chamberlain this month and loan him back to Southampton for the rest of the season.

However, the Saints, who are pushing for promotion to the Championship, are concerned that the fans could turn against the teenager and accuse him of not trying if he suffers some poor form. It was a similar scenario that prevented Walcott being loaned back to Southampton when he was bought by Arsenal in the January transfer window of January 2006.

Oxlade-Chamberlain became the second youngest debutant - behind Walcott - in the League One club’s history in March when he made his first Southampton appearance aged 16 years and 199 days. He has established himself as a first-team regular this season, starting 17 of his 26 games and scoring seven goals.

He is being used by Southampton on the flanks but the coaching staff believe his vision, technique, directness and eye for goal mean he will eventually mature in to a playmaker.

“He is the best young player in the country of his age,” added the source. “He can beat people for fun, he is technically excellent, he has goals in him, he is bright as a button and is getting stronger. He is a real talent.”

Walcott was signed by Arsenal for a fee initially worth up to £12m in January 2006, with £5m paid up front, but Southampton’s financial troubles two years later resulted in the clubs agreeing a settlement fee that amounted in a reduced final bill of £9.1m.

Any deal for Oxlade-Chamberlain is likely to be structured in a similar way consisting of an initial fee, with further payments based on appearances and future success.

I know it's from talkaloadofbull.com but I'd really like to be true he's a fan of us. Top clubs are all after him so I think his talent is indisputable.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #21: Jan 12, 2011 03:25:27 pm
      Read in the Guardian today we're interested and that NESV are willing to meet the £10m evaluation. I think that's going to be money well spent. Apparently the Southampton academy staff rate him as a better prospect than Walcott was at his age and I'm tempted to buy into the hype. Hope we get him now.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #22: Jan 12, 2011 04:03:14 pm
      He'd wanna be a better prospect than Walcott at 10 million.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #23: Jan 12, 2011 04:07:38 pm
      Could be a big risk. I think it's one where if we pass it by and he goes on to be a superstar for the mancs we'll all be going F***ing nuts. If he doesn't then it'll be a shrewd move. £10million is a lot of money for a 17 year old playing in League One.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #24: Jan 12, 2011 04:13:36 pm
      Southampton's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is Liverpool transfer target
      • Kenny Dalglish looking for support for Fernando Torres
      • 17-year-old attacking midfielder could cost £10m

Andy Hunter
      The Guardian,    Wednesday 12 January 2011
      Article history

Southampton's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, playing here for England U-18s, is a transfer target for Liverpool. Photograph: Jed Leicester /Action Images
      Liverpool have prepared a £10m bid for Southampton's highly rated teenager Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain as they attempt to rebuild for the future and to back Kenny Dalglish's pledge of support for Fernando Torres with action.

The 17-year-old son of the former England international Mark Chamberlain has made only 14 starts for the League One club but is regarded by many at Southampton, and Liverpool's scouting department, as a better prospect than Theo Walcott was at the same age. Walcott's current club, Arsenal, are Liverpool's main rival for the signature of an attacking midfielder who has scored six goals this season, and the clubs hope to complete a deal in this transfer window.

Liverpool have not yet made an offer for Oxlade-Chamberlain, the second youngest player to feature for Southampton behind Walcott, but the club's new owners, Fenway Sports Group, are willing to meet the south coast club's £10m valuation. FSG, advised by Liverpool's director of football strategy Damien Comolli, want to invest in young and coveted talent, and the teenager's arrival would serve as a statement of the new owner's intent should he choose Anfield over the Emirates.

Anfield scouts view Oxlade-Chamberlain as one of the finest prospects in the country and, though he would likely be nurtured into the first team at Liverpool, the club are anxious to address the lack of support for Torres. The Spain international was substituted 13 minutes from the end of Dalglish's first game in charge at Manchester United on Sunday, with Liverpool in need of an equaliser in the FA Cup third-round tie. The club's record signing has struggled for fitness and consistent form for over a year and often appeared disillusioned during Roy Hodgson's ill-starred reign. Dalglish, however, is confident he can lead Torres out of his prolonged slump and has told the 26-year-old to look no further than his own career for evidence that even world-class strikers are not immune to a loss of form.

Dalglish, who takes charge of his first Premier League game at Blackpool, said: "Someone asked me if I had a magic wand for Fernando. I said I don't need one, he has got one himself. He might be lacking a little bit of confidence, but he is still a top goal scorer and someone everybody fears when he goes on to the pitch.

"I went through a worse spell than he has. I can pass on advice and I will try and help him in any way, shape or form, but it's the same for all the players. We've got to try and help each other. We've got to have respect and belief in what we are doing and carry that on to the pitch. We have to continue working as hard as we possibly can to turn things around."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/12/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-liverpool-transfer-bid

£10m is a bit steep but if the club see fit, in that he is good enough, i would support it. For me, it is evidence of Mr Comolli's influence at the club. Just read this from the Guardian website.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Jan 12, 2011 04:20:14 pm
      Better 10 million now than be complaining when someone like City gets him for 20 or 30 in a few years. Could have done with this type of signing a few years ago.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #26: Jan 12, 2011 05:04:47 pm
      Personally i'd rather put that £10million towards buying Eden Hazard.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #27: Jan 12, 2011 05:13:03 pm
      very costly for his age, don't think he would be worth it.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #28: Jan 12, 2011 05:15:20 pm
      I don't know much about him, but what I do know is that Southampton have sold two youngsters for 10m in the past few years who have gone on to be two of the best wingers in the Premier League. So we know they produce good youngsters.

It's definitely a risk. 10m does seem a lot for a League One player, but how gutted would we be if he turned out to be amazing in the future.  
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011 05:31:12 pm by Pepe Reina »
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #29: Jan 12, 2011 05:25:39 pm
      Risks can pay off big time or bite you.

We would want to be sure. We dont have money to waste.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #30: Jan 12, 2011 05:42:01 pm
      A real talent. If our owners are willing to splash 10m for him, it's completely acceptable by me as long as they are willing to continue spending on first team players. This lad is going to be a high quality player in the future though, that is for sure.
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #31: Jan 12, 2011 06:21:41 pm
      I'm actually going to watch a Saints game in Feb (for a mates birthday!), so if he gets loaned back there and plays then I'll be the forum scout ;)
      piggott_mourinho
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #32: Jan 12, 2011 07:27:29 pm
      Meant to be top quality
      risky spending 10m on him although he coudl turn into a superstar
      id rather pay 10m on a striker to support torres
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #33: Jan 12, 2011 07:56:17 pm
      If we missed out and he matured into a Walcott or Bale we'd be well pissd off, just as we would if we paid 10m and he turned in to a Poulson or a Carlton Cole. Damned if we do, Damned if we don't. :f_doh:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #34: Jan 12, 2011 08:21:53 pm
      I dont get it, why do people think players in lower divisions are going to be the next best thing? There is a massive difference playing in League 1 and the Premiership. Look at Beckford, all that talk about him and he has done jack sh*t, David Nugent done jack sh*t and i would bet money on this guy doing jack sh*t. Dont want sulky players on the training ground either.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #35: Jan 12, 2011 10:04:40 pm
      I dont get it, why do people think players in lower divisions are going to be the next best thing? There is a massive difference playing in League 1 and the Premiership. Look at Beckford, all that talk about him and he has done jack sh*t, David Nugent done jack sh*t and I would bet money on this guy doing jack sh*t. Dont want sulky players on the training ground either.

Beckford was 26. Hardly a good comparison.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #36: Jan 12, 2011 10:44:18 pm
      Beckford was 26. Hardly a good comparison.

How is it not a good comparison? He was banging in the goals left right and centre and there was a lot of talk about him being able to cut it in the Premiership.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #37: Jan 12, 2011 10:45:42 pm
      This lad is much younger though. They produced Bale and Walcott who are delivering.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #38: Jan 12, 2011 11:03:41 pm
      I'd hardly say Walcott is delivering, has more bad games than he does good games and will never be consistent. Yeah I'l give you Bale, he's producing the goods.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #39: Jan 13, 2011 07:44:05 am
      We all have our ideas of what players are worth but I'm already getting tired of reading posts saying this or that player is too expensive. Surely it's relative to how much we have to spend, which NONE of us actually know.
      If we can afford to pay good money to get the very best youngsters AND still get a few signings who can drop straight into the first team then I say yes, we absolutely should go for them.
      Go for the likes of this lad and Lukaku now or wait 3 years until they're at somewhere like Real where we have no chance of signing them and/or valued at £25m+.
      If it means that we then have to miss out on the likes of Hazard or Suarez who I think can drop straight into the team, then fair enough, we'll just have to miss out.
      People can only speculate how much money FSG have or are willing to spend on us so player valuations mean nothing to me, we should be just discussing whether they're right for us.

( Edit - I do personally think that Lukaku could probably come straight into the team, I was just using him as an example.)
      « Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011 08:02:59 am by Reprobate »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #40: Jan 14, 2011 11:30:58 am
      Arsenal FC to trump Manchester United and Liverpool FC for Southampton starlet

http://www.click-manchester.com/sport/manchester-united/1212025-arsenal-fc-to-trump-manchester-united-and-liverpool-fc-for-southampton-starlet.html

by Will Swanson. Published Fri 14 Jan 2011 11:11
      Arsenal FC to trump Manchester United and Liverpool FC for Southampton starlet  According to reports Manchester United’s hope of landing Southampton whizzkid Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain have been dashed.

The Daily Mail claims Arsenal are close to agreeing a £5 million deal for the youngster.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger appears to have beaten United, Liverpool and Chelsea to the signature of the highly-rated 17-year-old.

Arsenal have established a relationship with Southampton after signing Theo Walcott in 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Balls
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #41: Jan 14, 2011 07:22:45 pm
      Alex Chamberlain - Southampton Sensation

Seems a really good prospect, but if reports are to believe he's close to agree terms with Arsenal.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #42: Jan 15, 2011 02:06:16 am
      I dont get it, why do people think players in lower divisions are going to be the next best thing? There is a massive difference playing in League 1 and the Premiership. Look at Beckford, all that talk about him and he has done jack sh*t, David Nugent done jack sh*t and i would bet money on this guy doing jack sh*t. Dont want sulky players on the training ground either.

Yeah, but Beckford is 27. This guy is 17.

Just because he plays for Southampton, no doubt due to logistics, you can't say he is going to be sh*t. Completely the wrong way to look at things.

The last 2 big players Southampton let go were Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott, so hope for this lad yet, no?

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #43: Jan 15, 2011 01:26:54 pm
      Raheem Sterling is tapping him up on facebook :)
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #44: Jan 15, 2011 03:29:47 pm
      Are you friends with Raheem on Facebook ?? PM the link of his page :)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #45: Jan 15, 2011 03:35:26 pm
      Are you friends with Raheem on Facebook ?? PM the link of his page :)

done. ya he's pretty sound on it. I added him back in his QPR days for some reason and had a grand chat with him a few weeks later.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #46: Jan 15, 2011 10:40:39 pm

Yeah, but Beckford is 27. This guy is 17.

Just because he plays for Southampton, no doubt due to logistics, you can't say he is going to be sh*t. Completely the wrong way to look at things.

The last 2 big players Southampton let go were Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott, so hope for this lad yet, no?

Whatever, im not going to repeat myself. But trust me he isn't all he cracks up to be put it that way.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #47: Jan 15, 2011 11:06:15 pm
      I dont get it, why do people think players in lower divisions are going to be the next best thing? There is a massive difference playing in League 1 and the Premiership. Look at Beckford, all that talk about him and he has done jack sh*t, David Nugent done jack sh*t and I would bet money on this guy doing jack sh*t. Dont want sulky players on the training ground either.
      It's a lot different being brought up in a lower league by a lower league club than being brought up in a high class environment of a Premier League team
      But yeh, not sure he's worth the £10m
      We need players to make an impact now not in 5 years, once we're back where we're meant to be we can look to the future again, at the minute we have plenty of our own youth
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #48: Jan 16, 2011 09:31:29 am
      Jonty, you always have to look to the future. You can't put it on hold for 5 years and then say 'Okay, it's future building time'. Chelsea are feeling that right now.

We need talent now, and we need talent for the future.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #49: Jan 16, 2011 10:35:33 am
      Yeh but for £10m :-[
      We have a 16yr old winger in Sterling, Ince, Amoo, Kelly, Jack Robinson, Coady, Wisdom, Pacheco, Suso, Toni Silva, Shelvey
      Our future is good
      Just think that this and next season we need to be improving the first team and letting our current prospects comethrough before making major major investments in youth
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #50: Jan 16, 2011 12:03:58 pm
      We have a 16yr old winger in Sterling, Ince, Amoo, Kelly, Jack Robinson, Coady, Wisdom, Pacheco, Suso, Toni Silva, Shelvey
      Our future is good
      Just think that this and next season we need to be improving the first team and letting our current prospects comethrough before making major major investments in youth
      Agree here. This is the reason why we haven't produced any player for more than 10 years. We focus on getting young and foreign overrated talents and don't give a f**k on what we have. I'd rather have Warnock than Konchesky right now, I'd rather have Hammill than Maxi or Kuyt on the wing also to be honest.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #51: Jan 16, 2011 12:07:03 pm
      Our future is good
      Add Flannagan to that list.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #52: Jan 16, 2011 12:09:23 pm
      If you're good enough it does not matter where you are from. Our best talents in the club right now are both Spanish. They need guidance and help to develop rather than being shipped out too early. We also have quality English players at the club at youth level so drop the foreign player phobia
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #53: Jan 16, 2011 12:13:11 pm
      Never heard of anyone complain about too many promising youth players. Last time i checked, clubs used them in matches and built a legacy - Barcelona.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #54: Jan 16, 2011 12:26:48 pm
      No, it's not complaining, it's saying we have plenty of top prospects to be bringing through and we don't necessarily need to go splashing massive money on another when that money could be used for a top player to make a 1st team impact now
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #55: Jan 16, 2011 12:43:22 pm
      I wasn't referring to you Jonty. You make a good point. We do have a lot of young talent in that area. We can always add to it though. If we dont get him I wont worry about it, but I dont get the negativity towards this type of signing
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #56: Jan 16, 2011 01:18:51 pm
      Yeh i just think there's a strong belief that we need players now and we do have at least enough good young players to do us for 2 years before bringing in the new batch if you like
      I'd be all for him signing, just not at a price which could take half the money away from a deal for say Suarez or Ashley Young
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #57: Jan 21, 2011 10:32:43 am
      Huge news
      This guy is my Dads' mates' nephew, him and his dad went to Liverpool and met with Kenny and Gerreard, we'd told his Dad that he'd get a million pounds in his back pocket and that he'd be in the squad next week, Chamberlain then said yeh but you're not definately gonna be here are you
      Chanberlain has then gone to Arsenal and net Wenger and is more impressed with him
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #58: Jan 21, 2011 11:47:43 am
      Trying to work out the impact of a chant for his name

eg.

Dal-glish.

O-xo.?
      Is the lad getting on the "gravy" train  .......... geddit?

Oh never mind.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #59: Jan 21, 2011 08:42:11 pm
      Huge news
      This guy is my Dads' mates' nephew, him and his dad went to Liverpool and met with Kenny and Gerreard, we'd told his Dad that he'd get a million pounds in his back pocket and that he'd be in the squad next week, Chamberlain then said yeh but you're not definately gonna be here are you
      Chanberlain has then gone to Arsenal and net Wenger and is more impressed with him

So the attention to the youth is his problem?
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #60: Jan 22, 2011 10:15:30 am
      No, the fact Kenny may not be here is his problem, his problem with Arsenal is that he'll just be another Walcott and be another one of Wenger's little projects as at Liverpool he'd been told he will play
      Won't be surprised if Fergie catches wind of this and takes him on a little tour of Carrington
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #61: Jan 22, 2011 11:25:49 am
      So he wants to play for Kenny, but is unsure of his long term future so he has doubts.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #62: Jan 22, 2011 12:39:13 pm
      Yeah pretty much
      But he also wants to play for Wenger so it's favourable towards them
      Kenny signs a full contract and we're probably on even-ish terms
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #63: Jan 23, 2011 01:53:37 am
      Whatever, im not going to repeat myself. But trust me he isn't all he cracks up to be put it that way.

Hairy muff, not seen anything of him at all tbh, but he obviously has something there.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #64: Jan 23, 2011 12:43:44 pm
      Reds to miss out on Chamberlain
      Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will end the chase for the teenager rated the most talented in English football.

Every major Premier League club, including Manchester City, Liverpool and Newcastle United, have been tracking Southampton boy wonder Alex Chamberlain.

But the 17-year-old midfielder visited Arsenal's training ground on Friday, met manager Wenger and will sign a £10million deal after talks with chief executive Ivan Gatzidis on Wednesday.

Only a last-minute offer from City could disrupt the move but Chamberlain, the son of former England winger Mark Chamberlain, and his advisers will choose the club they believe will best help the teenager develop.

Arsenal's record in furthering the careers of England's Theo Walcott - also signed from Southampton as a teenager - and Welsh star Aaron Ramsey is understood to have convinced him.

They have yet to finalise a fee with Southampton but Saints will not stand in Chamberlain's way.

Source: Daily Mail
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #65: Jan 24, 2011 08:30:33 am
      Looks like he could be an Arse player very soon.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #66: Jan 24, 2011 09:25:34 am
      Saw his dad on the box saying they want to go to the arse. Your loss son!!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #67: Jan 24, 2011 10:00:02 am
      His dad saying Arsenal is a more suitable choice for him.

Well, going to miss out playing for the best fans in the world.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #68: Jan 24, 2011 10:21:51 am
      His dad saying Arsenal is a more suitable choice for him.

Well, going to miss out playing for the best fans in the world.
      He should speak to Arshavin before he makes that decision, he knew he'd fu**ed up when he stepped out at Anfield and heard the crowd!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #69: Jan 24, 2011 10:32:33 am
      I could understand his decision if Roy Hodgson was still in charge but Kenny is in charge now. Arsene Wenger is currently the most likely manager to field youngsters as his track record proves. Kenny is obviously giving youngsters a chance so i think he should consider his decision very carefully. Things are changing at Liverpool, changing for the better.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #70: Jan 25, 2011 02:41:11 am
      Promising youngster, lightning pace and a decent cross. Already scored a handful of goals.

I wouldn't sell our Suso for £10 million. so to be honest it's a fair price. You can tell with the right guidance the lad will be class. I could imagine him and Suso running rings round teams.

But we need strength in other areas desperately, and have plenty of other options with X amount of a budget. So unless the Yanks go crazy i doubt he'll sign.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #71: Jan 25, 2011 04:19:46 am
      TBH, he looks good for his age.  But I think he is too small.  It would be ok with a couple small players, but we already have them in suso and sterling.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #72: Jan 25, 2011 10:26:27 am
      He should speak to Arshavin before he makes that decision, he knew he'd fu**ed up when he stepped out at Anfield and heard the crowd!

He'll still to this day talk about us LFC fans and Anfield..
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #73: Jan 25, 2011 10:33:33 am
      Leave him off to Arsenal, Wenger will be gone anyway before he is a regular at the club.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #74: Jan 25, 2011 07:52:15 pm
      Promising youngster, lightning pace and a decent cross. Already scored a handful of goals.

I wouldn't sell our Suso for £10 million. so to be honest it's a fair price. You can tell with the right guidance the lad will be class. I could imagine him and Suso running rings round teams.

But we need strength in other areas desperately, and have plenty of other options with X amount of a budget. So unless the Yanks go crazy I doubt he'll sign.
      In a future 4-2-3-1
      Sterling    Suso   Chamberlain
      But yeh, looks like if anywhere he'll go to Arsenal
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #75: Jun 11, 2011 11:23:13 pm

Published 23:05 11/06/11
      By Simon Mullock

Kenny Dalglish's £80million Liverpool revolution is set to continue with the capture of Southampton whizzkid Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

The Kop boss has been told by the club's American owners to carry on spending as he looks to build a squad capable of mounting a sustained challenge for the Premier League title next season.

And after missing out to Manchester United in the £16million race to land Phil Jones last week, Dalglish has moved in to beat Arsenal for top teenage winger Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Arsene Wenger was certain that he had secured the 17-year-old winger with a package that could net Southampton up to £12million.

But Liverpool have matched the Gunners' offer and Dalglish believes he has moved into pole position to land the son of former England winger Mark Chamberlain.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-transfer-news-Kenny-Dalglish-given-80million-budget-for-Anfield-rebuild-article746388.html
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      Reply #76: Jun 11, 2011 11:27:22 pm
      Nice to read but hes no Sterling so wouldnt be upset if he went to uncle Arsene
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #77: Jun 12, 2011 11:12:05 am
      According to scott one of the respected ITK on Rawk, the reports are true and we are in for him
      ozziboi7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #78: Jun 12, 2011 11:17:40 am
      Would be an awsome future team, Chamberlain on the right, Sterling on the left!  :champ:
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #79: Jun 12, 2011 12:15:14 pm
      would be good to get one over on the gooners aswell, decemt player, big prospect for the future
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #80: Jun 12, 2011 12:36:52 pm
      I thought this was all pretty much wrapped up and he was going to Arsenal.

Wondered though seeing as though we hadn't been linked to him yet this summer, when a link would eventually crop up.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #81: Jun 12, 2011 12:42:12 pm
      Speaking to a couple of Southampton mates and they think he's massively over rated.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #82: Jun 12, 2011 12:47:32 pm
      Speaking to a couple of Southampton mates and they think he's massively over rated.

For me it's nearly impossible to be massively over rated at the age of 17 though
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #83: Jun 12, 2011 01:28:16 pm
      I'm not too sure on the £12m price tag. Henderson had a good season with Sunderland in the Premier League and people whinged and moaned at his price tag of £16m, Chamberlain had a good season with Southampton in League 1 and his price tag is £12m, sorry but that is a joke.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #84: Jun 12, 2011 02:31:45 pm
      I'm not too sure on the £12m price tag. Henderson had a good season with Sunderland in the Premier League and people whinged and moaned at his price tag of £16m, Chamberlain had a good season with Southampton in League 1 and his price tag is £12m, sorry but that is a joke.

The initial deal for Walcott was £12m, a couple of my mates are Saints fans and they say he's better than Walcott was.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #85: Jun 12, 2011 02:57:57 pm
      So he's supposed to be a big player for the future. With a number of Arsenal players seemingly on the move, You have to wonder how long Wenger will be there.
       Is he really that good ? Do we really need him ?  £ 16 mill for a Div 1 player seems a lot, but Kenny knows whats what. If he comes to us fine, if not, don't think i'll be losing any sleep over it. But he might once the arse fall to pieces.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #86: Jun 12, 2011 11:26:36 pm

Liverpool bid for Saints prodigy as Dalglish looks to continue spending

By Sami Mokbel
      Last updated at 11:01 PM on 12th June 2011

Kenny Dalglish will try to convince Southampton wonderkid Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to turn his back on a move to Arsenal.

Liverpool have entered the £10million race to land the England Under 19 forward in their attempts to lure the brightest young English talent to Merseyside.

Dalglish followed up the £35m signing of Andy Carroll in January with a £20m swoop for Jordan Henderson last week. And the Scot is due to hold talks with  Oxlade-Chamberlain’s representatives in an attempt to persuade them that the 17-year-old’s future is at Anfield.

The teenager looked on course for a move to the Emirates this summer after the Gunners re-opened discussions with Saints.

Sources close to Oxlade-Chamberlain insist the exciting forward favours a move to the Emirates, and his father, former England winger Mark Chamberlain, underlined that by claiming the youngster wanted his move to Arsenal completed as soon as possible.

Arsene Wenger came close to signing the player in January, but the move collapsed due to Saints insisting on a 40 per cent sell-on clause, a demand that remains the main stumbling block for Arsenal. But Liverpool are confident they can negotiate a deal, clearing the path for a move if Dalglish can convince the player that joining Liverpool is in his best interests.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2002846/Liverpool-bid-Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain.html
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #87: Aug 08, 2011 02:39:45 pm
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #88: Aug 08, 2011 03:28:03 pm
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #89: Aug 08, 2011 03:34:11 pm
      Surely this means Nasri will be on his way then.  I can't see Wenger making another winger a priority unless he is planning on losing one....
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #90: Aug 08, 2011 04:16:06 pm
      Wenger was saying about signing a quality player last week. So, this is the quality/marqueee signing.  :lmao:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #91: Aug 08, 2011 05:50:24 pm
      It would appear so, I thought perhaps Mata was on his way the way he was speaking or even feared perhaps Hazard. I know we showed some interest in this lad but I think bringing him in would send the wrong message to Sterling and I hope Raheem turns out to be the better player, every chance in my eyes.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #92: Aug 08, 2011 06:01:23 pm
      £12m for Chamberlain is shocking - and people are slating the amounts that we pay for players!?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #93: Aug 08, 2011 06:09:37 pm
      12 million upfront. Southhampton must feel like they've won the lotto when Arsenal scouts show up to games
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #94: Aug 08, 2011 07:11:29 pm
      12 million upfront. Southhampton must feel like they've won the lotto when Arsenal scouts show up to games

With the nonsense bulks we saw in today's market, 12m for a 16-yo talented kid is not too much I think.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #95: Aug 08, 2011 07:16:49 pm
      You're having  laugh. A lot of money upfront for a league 1 player. Makes Jordan look a bargain
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #96: Aug 08, 2011 08:02:50 pm
      Oxlade Chamberlain is a talent - but I was very weary over his temperament and I'm thinking along the lines of Jermaine Pennant with him. I seriously doubted whether he had the mindset right for this club. Wenger's got to work on him a bit.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #97: Aug 08, 2011 08:05:05 pm
      Oxlade-Chamberlain moves to Arsenal

Mon, 08 Aug 18:46:15 2011

Arsenal have completed the £15million signing of Southampton winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Saints announced on their website that Oxlade-Chamberlain has moved to the Emirates Stadium for a club record fee, subject to Premier League and Football Association approval.

The Gunners are to pay £12million up front and a further £3million in add-ons, Press Association Sport understands.

Arsene Wenger hailed Oxlade-Chamberlain, who turns 18 next Monday, as a player of rich potential, and said: "We are delighted that Alex has decided to join us," Wenger told the club's official website, www.arsenal.com. "He is an exciting young player who will provide us with creativity and offensive quality.

"Alex is a versatile player who can play in a number of positions. He can play as an attacking centre midfielder, or wide left and right. Alex is a perceptive passer of the ball and has a great understanding of the game and looks to be a very good team player."

Oxlade-Chamberlain has yet to compete at a higher level than League One but his signing will still be viewed as a coup for Arsenal, despite the size of the transfer fee. Manchester United and Liverpool also expressed interest in the Southampton academy product, but the Gunners edged their rivals on this occasion.

"Alex agreed personal terms and passed a medical this afternoon," read a statement on Southampton's official website www.saintsfc.co.uk. "It is one of the biggest deals in Championship history, which sees Saints' previous transfer records blown out of the water.

"The deal for the midfielder, who had made it clear he saw his future away from Southampton, was done with Saints in the driving seat for the duration of the protracted negotiations and the transfer was completed on our terms."

Oxlade-Chamberlain, who was contracted at Southampton until 2013, is regarded as one of England's most promising young footballers. He played a key role in helping Southampton secure promotion to the Championship last season, firing nine goals in 34 appearances.

"Arsenal have a great manager in Arsene Wenger, top-quality players and an attractive style of play," said Oxlade-Chamberlain. "These were all important factors in me choosing to sign for Arsenal."

EuroSport

He's a Gunner now. 15m my arse!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #98: Aug 08, 2011 08:52:57 pm
      Not at all bothered by this.

One of my close mates is a massive Southampton fan and he doesn't rate him that much. He sounded delighted that they are going to pick up that much for him.

Sterling is a better prospect than him I think.

Quick Reply