Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Are the players getting off lightly?

Read 5324 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Are the players getting off lightly?
      Reply #23: Dec 31, 2010 04:24:01 pm

Thats the problem OK doesnt equate to good enough for a LFC central midfielder.

But I'll leave it here rather than drag it into a Lucas thread. :D

Plus its hard to give a proper assesment considering our foothoofball by passes midfield majority of the time
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #24: Dec 31, 2010 06:41:15 pm
      Dont think any of them have performed to the level they can,and should be ashamed of themselves ,but a lot comes down to tactics and team selections.
      Most of the senior players must know hodgson aint the right man but cant or wont perform in those selections.....a bloody mess.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #25: Dec 31, 2010 06:54:27 pm
      If the players are to start being blamed now, why weren't they blamed last season as well?

Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #26: Dec 31, 2010 07:00:41 pm
       I am not defending Roy but I do thing the players should shoulder more of the blame for a poor performances, regardless of the tactics the team as a whole has not been up to standard,

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #27: Dec 31, 2010 07:03:00 pm
      No question the players are not performing for their manager or us fans.

Absolute certainty.

Lucas and Meireles had, generally, done well in midfield.  I'm sure there is both a lack of intensity, a lack of hunger and probably a lot of square pegs in round holes.

Unfortunately I don't think the fans opinion of the manager helps.  The fans want a new manager - with a new manager in charge the players would have nowhere to hide.

Gerrard and Torres have both been a joke this season, and sadly they were for most of last when they were fit.

Unfortunately, if they can't put a performance in then maybe a manager should have some balls and drop them off the teamsheet?  Gerrard managed to pull his finger out when he came on as a sub against Utrecht, for instance.  Maybe them two may be better used as subs because lets face it, they've done (pretty much) f**k all for almost 30 competitive games this season.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,845 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #28: Dec 31, 2010 07:04:17 pm
      I do agree that the players have been very short of the mark this season in attitude,commitment, and basic football skills ! however , it's a bit like any job ( and that's what it basically is to most players ) if the people in charge are crap and giving you poor advice like: hoof the ball up field or bringing on the wrong type of player ( or taking the wrong player off ) then you tend to 'adapt' to that way,we have players of skill and lots of international quality,they don't become bad players overnight do they? Gerrard has been a shadow of his self like Nando ,sack Roy and watch the change !
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #29: Dec 31, 2010 07:13:50 pm
      Whilst I agree somewhat Brian I also think the Managers tactics are creating the problem with the players.

Going back to Wolves as an example, Roy set us as a 4-4-2 with Meireles as a RW and Kuyt as a LW, and played with a deep defensive line that continously bypassed the midfield.

Pepe played 30 long balls against Wolves in contrast to the two played in last seasons corosponding fixture.

I said within 10 minutes Wolves had targeted Konchesky as the weak link, and Wolves continued to attack him continously for another 75 minutes before Roy made a change.

So whilst I think the players need to stand up and be counted, its hard for a defender when your under instruction to sit so deep and lump the ball forward at every opportunity, its hard for a midfielder when your being bypassed through that said lumping, and its hard for a forward when every ball you recieve is just about head height.

So for me I can not look past Roy as I feel his tactics are effecting the players not only in their ability and performances but also their confidence.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #30: Dec 31, 2010 07:14:27 pm
      are the players responsible and accountable with there high saleries could be. no player is above the club. the top clubs dont stand for any nonsense from players. ferguson wastes no time in dealing with negative issues.so if we get a new manager they are all of a sudden become motivated again. if they have hidden agendas then thats dirty pool.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #31: Dec 31, 2010 07:35:20 pm
      OK, here goes, I will get my head down when I have done this......

The players are getting off way too lightly...and I will single one out in particular, Nando, the best striker in the world has been nothing short of a liability for this season and the second half of last season.

Maybe its because he isnt up front with SG as much, maybe he isnt getting the ball as much or maybe he just doesnt have the heart at the moment. Whatever, he has been awful, and does stand out as the best player giving the least effort. Yet he turned it on along with the rest of the lads against Chelsea [first half].

Some players arent good enough but are giving all they have [konchesky/Poulson] others just seem to be off form [Kuyt], but the best forward in the world putting in performances like Nando has, for months, is unacceptable for me.

No I dont want to sell him, he still is the best in the world, and I have no idea what Roy [or whoever] has to do to get him interested again, so I have no answer, but it isnt good enough.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #32: Dec 31, 2010 07:36:50 pm
      Everybody should be dropped apart from Ngog, Babel, Maxi, Johnson, Reina and Raul. I agree that its mainly the tactics that has us fu**ed up but some of performences have been shocking.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Dec 31, 2010 10:23:23 pm
      Yes the players are getting off lightly. They need a manager who will give them a proper kick up the arse in the dressing room. We don't have that manager and we need one now. Any decent manager would come in and tell half of this squad to F**k off. Arguably the worst Liverpool side in generation.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34: Dec 31, 2010 10:24:50 pm
      Everybody should be dropped apart from Ngog, Babel, Maxi, Johnson, Reina and Raul. I agree that its mainly the tactics that has us fu**ed up but some of performences have been shocking.

N'Gog? Babel? Maxi?

Sell the dead wood. Out of date yoghurt would be worth more than those 3 combined.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #35: Dec 31, 2010 10:26:56 pm
      N'Gog? Babel? Maxi?

Sell the dead wood. Out of date yogurt would be worth more than those 3 combined.
      N'gog maybe as a squad player to throw on when needed, but the rest i agree with.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36: Dec 31, 2010 10:28:33 pm
      N'gog maybe as a squad player to throw on when needed, but the rest I agree with.

Didn't the guy in your avatar have a trial with Liverpool??  ;D
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: Dec 31, 2010 10:48:03 pm
      Roy plays back to front football. These players were bought for the pressing technical game. If you buy sprinters and enter them in the 5000 you'll get what you pay for. I don't want hodgson even if we win because his football is uninspiring, unstable, unpalatable, unacceptable, utter sh*t. Punt it long to Torres and when he goes then to Carlton Cole.
      Why not bring back Fash the Bash and stack the youth ranks with a pack of no nonsense 'come on jimmies' sh*tbirds. Seriously I want better if it takes 5 years of development to get there. ROY OUT.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #38: Dec 31, 2010 10:57:47 pm
      Didn't the guy in your avatar have a trial with Liverpool??  ;D
      :D How could we turn him down, Can you imagine the shenanigans? :roll:
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #39: Dec 31, 2010 11:14:22 pm
      long balls up are a desperate sign of lack of confidence to run and pass , the team know  this and know they have no more confidence he"s playing too many players out of position , he"s just not the man for the job.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #40: Jan 01, 2011 04:25:04 am
      The players are simply not good enough. Torres has said it, Reina has said it, Benitez was screaming for it. (money)  (3 or 4 quality players)  but everyone seems to have forgotten it.

The powerful need many fans had developed in their minds just to get rid of the previous owners at all costs.... has completely hypnotised them into a state of forgetting it.

The powerful desire to want to believe that the new owners will be our saviors.

The powerful love and admiration of Rafa Benitez creating a barrier against any replacement or incumbent to his throne.

The same group of players who were inconsistent under Rafa, continue to be inconsistent and will do under any manager. They will tease us and frustrate us with cameo performances (Chelsea match)  and then let us down (Blackpool & Wolves)  because they are simply not good enough.

Some scream for Kenny as manager hoping his passion will be enough, whilst others know in their hearts that Kenny would suffer the same fate and do not wish to see his reputation at the club diminish.   
      The reason for that is that underneath they know in their hearts that we need 3 or 4 quality additions.
      Is it easier to appoint another fall guy right now, so we can spend the next 12 months berating and blaming him, or would it be better to demand from the new owners something we all know in our hearts we need.  (investment in quality players) 

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #41: Jan 01, 2011 07:42:45 am
      The team as a whole has really under preformed this season, but if they are being told to play in a certain system which is stifling their creativity, then the fault lies mainly with the manager.
      The players look frusterated out there at times, TORRES in particular, who plays for the best international team in the world, where stylish attacking football is what they're known for, is being forced to compete with two defenders for hoofed passes every single game.
      The defence have rightly come in for some stick, at the end of the day, they are not doing the job they're there to do, but the manager's tactics seem to invite pressure on the defence.
      Bozkat
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 01, 2011 09:04:15 am
      The players are simply not good enough. Torres has said it, Reina has said it, Benitez was screaming for it. (money)  (3 or 4 quality players)  but everyone seems to have forgotten it.

The powerful need many fans had developed in their minds just to get rid of the previous owners at all costs.... has completely hypnotised them into a state of forgetting it.

The powerful desire to want to believe that the new owners will be our saviors.

The powerful love and admiration of Rafa Benitez creating a barrier against any replacement or incumbent to his throne.

The same group of players who were inconsistent under Rafa, continue to be inconsistent and will do under any manager. They will tease us and frustrate us with cameo performances (Chelsea match)  and then let us down (Blackpool & Wolves)  because they are simply not good enough.

Some scream for Kenny as manager hoping his passion will be enough, whilst others know in their hearts that Kenny would suffer the same fate and do not wish to see his reputation at the club diminish.   
      The reason for that is that underneath they know in their hearts that we need 3 or 4 quality additions.
      Is it easier to appoint another fall guy right now, so we can spend the next 12 months berating and blaming him, or would it be better to demand from the new owners something we all know in our hearts we need.  (investment in quality players) 

Quite simply, it is up to the manager to get the best out of the players. Hodgson is clearly unable to do this.
      The squad needs additions but Hodgson has failed to strengthen the squad. If anything, the squad is considerably weaker than the one he inherited. Players like Aquilani, Benayoun, Riera and even Insua haven't been replaced with anyone better.

He's just not up to the job and falls short in all areas; tactics, motivation, team selection, vision.

To suggest that Dalglish would suffer the same fate is balls.

Dalglish's reputation at this club will never diminish. Kenny has managed successfully in the past and is certainly capable of a lot more than this idiot (Hodgson).
      Football is a team game and its about finding the right balance between work and creativity. We could go out and buy Messi and Iniesta but would still struggle against lesser sides if Hodgson was at the helm because he hasnt a f***in clue and is clearly out of his depth.

I for one am quite clearly prepared to give Kenny a chance at least until the end of the season. Remember that Dalglish has already won more as a manager than Hodgson ever will.
      At least it would put an end to the embarassing daily press releases.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #43: Jan 01, 2011 09:30:51 am
      Players, sh*te. Woy, Shiter.

Quick Reply