Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Rory Smith- Telegraph

Read 3441 times
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Rory Smith- Telegraph
      Dec 30, 2010 01:10:20 pm
      Thought I'd inform you all that a webchat just started (1pm) with Rory Smith of The Telegraph, regarding the club. Get your questions in.

'If he (Kenny) returned, at this stage, he's kind of in a win-win. If it works, he's a hero, and if he fails, it's Roy's fault. Or Rafa's. Someone would blame Rafa. Someone on Sky.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8231499/From-1pm-Liverpool-webchat-with-Rory-Smith.html
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Rory Smith- Telegraph
      Reply #1: Dec 30, 2010 03:18:49 pm
      Full Transcript of Rory Smiths WebChat re:Liverpool

How can the Manager Of The Year look so tactically naive? Does giving that award to Roy Hodgson look like a very bad piece of judgement given how things have gone at Liverpool?

Rory Smith:
      Hi Chris. It's a fair point, but there's no question that Hodgson did very well at Fulham, and so had a good case for being given the award. As for his tactics, what's evident is that what works at a club with lower expectations does not work at a club expected to dominate games. That has been his failing, in my eyes, so far.

Simply put: Has Hodgson's position become untenable?

Rory Smith:

Yes and no. Last night's result doesn't particularly effect what FSG's long-term plan was - it's been evident for a while that's unlikely to include Hodgson - but in the short-term, the scale of protest at Anfield was quite telling. It's hard to see him ever winning back the fans. The question is how long FSG are prepared to put up with that sort of tension.

Will there be a decision soon?

Rory Smith:

That's what everyone is trying to find out. Depends what you mean by soon, I suppose. I'm fairly sure Roy will be in charge for the Bolton game, as the rumours of a board meeting today are wide of the mark. Beyond that, I suspect depends on results.

Surely January is a terrible time to change manager as transfer targets have presumably been chosen and sounded out by now. Would a change of manager affect targets or does Comolli take the lead on this?

Rory Smith:

Hi Jamie. It was very instructive that FSG's first appointment was Comolli and his primary responsibility is transfer strategy. That means that they can recruit players according to a long-term vision, regardless of who is manager. In that sense, Roy's position doesn't matter, but it doesn't make the club attractive to players. This January, though, is not the ideal time for change, mainly because there are three league games, followed by United in the cup, and the Merseyside derby. Going into the latter two without a manager would be dangerous.

Rory, is Roy's immediate departure with Dalglish taking over short term and a long-term appointment made in the summer the most viable option at this stage? What are the dangers and pitfalls of such a move, and what alternatives are there?

Rory Smith:

That's a bit like an essay question, that. Back when FSG were NESV, the information I had was that the next appointment would be long-term, not interim, and that was part of the reason that Hodgson would be allowed to continue. Assuming that hasn't changed, that rules out Kenny. If he returned, at this stage, he's kind of in a win-win. If it works, he's a hero, and if he fails, it's Roy's fault. Or Rafa's. Someone would blame Rafa. Someone on Sky.

Hi, do you think Rafa coming back to the club is a serious possibility? What are the new owners thoughts of him coming back? Is there any other candidate who may be interested in the soon to be vacated role who has a better track record than Rafa both in Europe and in the league?

Rory Smith:

As hilarious as it would be, I think Rafa's not an option on grounds of price, controversy and, most importantly, age. Whether he should have gone or not, bringing him back would throw the club into even greater convulsions. FSG seem to want a young, ambitious manager; someone to build the club around, and they aren't afraid of risk. Sadly for fans of soap operas and cryptic press conferences, Rafa doesn't fit into that.

Would Liverpool have been better off this season with Benitez still in charge?

Rory Smith:

That's anybody's guess. There was plenty of discontent at Liverpool under Rafa, too, and it's not like they played scintillating football last season. They might have been better, they might not. But it's unlikely they would have been good.

In as simple a way as possible, could you please explain where Liverpool and Roy Hodgson have gone wrong on the field this league campaign? On paper they're a top 4 side in my mind

Rory Smith:

Hi Gerry. It's subjective - game of opinions and all that - but to me, Hodgson's playing a system that doesn't suit a lot of his players, he bought poorly in the summer (the impressive Meireles apart), he defends too deep, the back line has no pace, and he encourages too much long ball football, which doesn't suit Torres's strengths, in particular.

what was clear last night was that the squad is not good enough. Surely Roy doesn't think players of Carlton Cole's ability are the way forward. Is his name a smokescreen or genuine target?

Rory Smith:

There was interest in Cole in the summer, but I would doubt that his price tag would appeal to NESV. Funnily enough, of all the names I've heard mentioned, strikers have been few and far between. That's by no means a comprehensive list, obviously, but I wonder whether the feeling is that you can stick with Torres, Kuyt and Ngog for the rest of the season and then buy big in the summer.

What players are Liverpool going after this january??

Rory Smith:

The fact that Sylvain Marveaux was in the directors' box last night suggests he's likely to be the first signing. Assuming he wasn't put off by what he saw. That solves the left-wing problem, so I would suggest they'll go for a central defender and possibly cover at right back. If there's anyone at the club with any sense, they'll be looking for a striker, too, but this is key: if the prices aren't right, the owners won't buy them.

I'm a Fulham fan and I find the way Liverpool fans are treating Roy Hodgson extremely disrespectful. Roy is all about conditioning and technical work on the training field. Maybe this was too much like hard work for Liverpool's squad? You don't become a bad manager overnight, do you Rory?

Rory Smith:

Absolutely not. The kneejerkism in football is absurd. I think it's fair to say that Hodgson's methods haven't translated well, and that's the problem. From what I understand, his emphasis on fitness isn't vastly different to Benitez's, so maybe the problem is not their differences, but the similarity. Perhaps he isn't the antidote he was supposed to be.

What are your opinions on the fans reaction to Paul Konchesky last night, do you believe that the ironic cheers were warranted? Also, how do you see J. Henry and co's reaction to the fans obvious dislike towards Roy Hodgson?

Rory Smith:

On last night's showing, no. Konchesky was far from the worst player on the pitch, whatever the Daily Telegraph's ratings may have said. They were written by an idiot. On his overall season, though, yes. The Konchesky deal baffles me. He is no better or worse than Insua, a player who was already at the club, was 10 years younger and wouldn't have cost £4m. Konchesky's OK. Liverpool fans tend not to like OK.

What will they do with Poulsen and Konchesky if Roy goes? And any chance in getting Aquilani back?

Rory Smith:

Juve seem pretty keen on Aquilani and, as well as he's doing, would seem to be a better fit for him than England. I would imagine that, like a substantial proportion of the squad, both Konchesky and Poulsen will be sold this summer.

Further to Winter's tweet, to what extent will the views of senior players be a consideration in the decision taken?

Rory Smith:

Is that Henry referring to himself in the third person? Odd. The players will no doubt be consulted. Given that some of them wanted Hodgson, and also wanted Curbishley instead of Benitez in 2004, you can decide among yourselves whether that's a good idea.

Why are the media so blind to Roy's failings an yet were so quick to stick the knife into Benitez for anything and everything?

Rory Smith:

I may change that question slightly, if that's OK? Roy's failings have been pointed out by plenty of observers, and to me the coverage of his tenure so far has been, for the most part, quite well balanced. The problem is that the end of Rafa's reign saw such blinkered coverage that it suffers in juxtaposition. As for why Rafa is still getting blamed, I have no idea. He left a squad that wasn't good enough to get in to the top four. He did not leave a squad that should be three points off relegation.

Who should take most of the blame. The players, or the manager?

Rory Smith:

It's always seemed a bit strange to me that managers are so roundly blamed for everything, as though they're some sort of omnipotent superbeing. The players have to take a large proportion of the blame, particularly those who are a shadow of their former selves. That said, it's all very well criticising Torres, but the way Liverpool play is so unsuited to his abilities that it is hard to see how he is supposed to thrive. You can't write if someone won't give you a pen.

What is happening with Fernando?

Rory Smith:

As I say, it's hard to work out whether he's not trying - he definitely looks like he's not trying - or whether he's simply sick of finding long balls pelted at his head. Either way, that £50m buyout clause in his contract is starting to look a bit ambitious.

What do you make of Hodgson's comments made in the recent weeks? He seems to be wanting to free himself of all responsibilities and it's done nothing more than to make him look even worse than he is, which is a great achievement as it should be impossible.

Rory Smith:

For all that Hodgson has not helped himself, I don't think anything he's said has been with malice or mischief in mind. He has a sort of knack of saying the wrong thing at the right time, if you see what I mean, and that may be a product of struggling to adapt to a club where every word is a headline. The fans comment last night, for example, was an error of judgment, rather than a deliberate attack.

Why did roy cancel his press conference today?

Rory Smith:

Because he wanted to ruin my New Year's Eve, I think. The presser was moved before the game last night. It's nothing suspicious.

D'you think Liverpool are in a relegation battle now?

Rory Smith:

Pointswise, yes. In reality, no. Liverpool's season - presuming FSG stick with Roy - will be one of peaks and troughs; runs where Europe seems an outside chance, followed by runs where they slide back down towards the relegation zone. I'll happily stick my neck out and say they're too good to go down, though. Or, more accurately, the rest of the league's too poor for them to go down.

Nick Pearce:

Right, there's one loose end that needs tieing up immediately I think. A lot of you are asking about the "young, ambitious manager" Rory mentioned. Can you qualify this Rory?

Rory, who would you list as the young, ambitious managers FSG might have in mind?

Rory Smith:

Right, this is based on what you might term educated guesswork rather than any guidance, but I would say the five managers Liverpool would look at in the summer are: Frank Rijkaard (maybe a bit old now, but an established name), Owen Coyle (proven-ish in England, plays good football), Jürgen Klopp of Dortmund, Didier Deschamps of Marseille and Andre Villas Boas of Porto. In terms of who I'd have, the last one. He's 33, Mourinho's old assistant, plays good football and he'd be a jolt of the unexpected. Liverpool is flatlining; you need a risk to revive it.

Didn't Andre Villas Boas just sign an extension to his current deal?

Rory Smith:

He did. I had completely forgotten how much contracts mean in football. You can barely move for honoured contracts. Klopp's also just signed an extension. Coyle's a year into a five-year deal, isn't he? Everyone has their price. But you're all right to suggest all three are unlikely now. The summer is much more likely, which would indicate Roy might hang on.

Rory Smith:

And a special shout out to Will, who mentioned Marcelo Bielsa. Marcelo Bielsa is the world's greatest manager. Any club would be lucky to have him, the mumbling, philosophising madman. But I can't see it, sadly.

Nick Pearce:

Another popular question from many of you is about the positioning of the midfield. So let's tackle that...

Can you please tell me why Roy is playing Raul Meireles on the right wing?

Rory Smith:

No. No I cannot. Raul Meireles is a classy, elegant central midfielder. He should be played there. He also forms a natural partnership with Lucas. Hodgson had a problem in terms of where to accommodate Gerrard last night, and he got it badly wrong. I'd have put Lucas and Meireles in the middle behind Gerrard, with Torres up front on his own and Maxi on the left, but the only qualifications I've got are a bronze swimming certificate and a cycling proficiency test, so you can take my suggestion with a pinch of salt.

and why Kuyt on the left wing?

Rory Smith:

Square pegs, round holes. It sort of summed up Liverpool's problem, last night. Too many players who you have to play even if they don't fit the system. This view that players are vital is anachronistic. They're just cogs in a machine. If they don't fit, you take them out.

i like your midfield line-up there, do you want a job ?

Rory Smith:

And by vital, I didn't mean you don't need players. You need them, but you select them on suitability, not name. The players fit the system, not vice versa.

Rob, sadly I already have a job. It involves tweeting sarcastically and being told I'm ignorant. Which is a bit like Roy's job. Except with tweeting.

How much longer can you honestly see Roy having a job at LFC?

Rory Smith:

My gut instinct at the moment is that he'll stay until May. That may change after Bolton, if they lose, or after Blackburn, if they lose, or United, if they lose, or Everton, if they lose. It's going to be one of those seasons...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...ory-Smith.html
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2010 03:40:06 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Dec 30, 2010 03:32:47 pm
      Hodgson's playing a system that doesn't suit a lot of his players, he bought poorly in the summer (the impressive Meireles apart), he defends too deep, the back line has no pace, and he encourages too much long ball football, which doesn't suit Torres's strengths, in particular.

Square pegs, round holes. It sort of summed up Liverpool's problem, last night. Too many players who you have to play even if they don't fit the system. This view that players are vital is anachronistic. They're just cogs in a machine. If they don't fit, you take them out.

Frank Rijkaard (maybe a bit old now, but an established name), Owen Coyle (proven-ish in England, plays good football), Jürgen Klopp of Dortmund, Didier Deschamps of Marseille and Andre Villas Boas of Porto. In terms of who I'd have, the last one. He's 33, Mourinho's old assistant, plays good football and he'd be a jolt of the unexpected. Liverpool is flatlining; you need a risk to revive it.

Three important paragraphs for me. I hope he is wrong about how long Roy has left

Edit:

Oh now you put the stuff in bold... Arse
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2010 04:06:25 pm by racerx34 »
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #3: Dec 30, 2010 04:04:27 pm
      My question didn't come up. :(
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Dec 30, 2010 04:07:38 pm

Oh now you put the stuff in bold... Arse

He He when I first posted it up mate, it looked like a jumbled mess, my OCD kicked in and made me tidy it up. :)
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #5: Dec 30, 2010 04:08:11 pm
      Yep my question got answered, except it was the worst one! Mine was about Aquilani and Poulsen. Still Rory seems a very diligent chap and knows what he's talking about. He's also great on twitter.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Dec 30, 2010 04:10:19 pm
      He He when I first posted it up mate, it looked like a jumbled mess, my OCD kicked in and made me tidy it up. :)
      `

I had to battle my OCD all the way through it. Nearly drove me mad
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Dec 30, 2010 04:11:17 pm
      `

I had to battle my OCD all the way through it. Nearly drove me mad

See the effort I put in for you lads ha ha :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8: Dec 30, 2010 05:33:53 pm
      Incredibly intelligent answers from Rory Smith there.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #9: Dec 30, 2010 08:57:36 pm
      £50m buyout clause for Torres?

Never knew that.

Quick Reply