Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (4.5%)
      Fabio Aurelio
      (5.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (2.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (73.6%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (2.8%)
      Fernando Torres
      (10.7%)

Liverpool 2-1 Bolton: Post match relief

Read 56662 times
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Bolton: Post match relief
      Reply #851: Jan 01, 2011 09:07:46 pm
      So......who did take over the dressing room at half time?

Answers on a postcard to John Henry and Damien C.

Not long in from pub am I missing some gossip?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #852: Jan 01, 2011 10:14:49 pm
      Just read that that's the first time we've won coming back from a goal down in the first half since beating Wigan over 2 years ago.

That's a shocking stat if true.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #853: Jan 01, 2011 10:27:45 pm
      Heard one dickhead on Five Live saying it was the best atmosphere since Istanbul and all is forgiven for Hodgson.  What a cock.  I did actually hear someone sniggering in the background so it could well have been a wind up or a blueshite.

Anyway just saw the attendance.

Att: 35,400

I know Bolton didn't have many, but I'm fairly sure far more tickets were sold. 

Looks like quite a lot of people just didn't go through the turnstiles today.

That is awful. Now I did not go, but to be fair I very rarely go. It is astonishing that even the NAPM campain could not have reduced the attendance to this?

Is it Hodgson?
      The performances?
      The Festive Period?
      Or any combination? (Obviously the first 2 are linked)

Is this the lowest EPL attendance for us? Any Statos out their?
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #854: Jan 01, 2011 10:38:57 pm
      BBC are saying how motivational Hodgson was at Half time, they kidding?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,187 posts | 8558 
      Reply #855: Jan 01, 2011 10:53:11 pm
      Was crap atmosphere to be honest, everything was strained and long periods of verging on silence, this performance hasn't saved is job even though it was an improvement, we were still playing counter attacking football at home against Bolton. gerrard man of match for me, Ngog still frustrates me to death and Torres for first 45 was awful.

Agree with most of this and go on to say I thought the first half was like an extension of Wednesday night. Atmosphere was sh*t to be honest till we got the equaliser, even then I thought the celebrations for the winner from the players was a tad embarrassing. I understand the relief part, but some of them were carrying on like we'd won the the league!

Brutal truth is today's performance just papered over the cracks and if we play like we did today at OT we'll get torn a new arsehole.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #856: Jan 01, 2011 10:59:39 pm

Brutal truth is today's performance just papered over the cracks and if we play like we did today at OT we'll get torn a new arsehole.

Don't know mate did you see them againts West Brown they played as badly as we have this season, they were sloppy as F**k with there passing and were very lucky to get 3 points because West Brom were by far the best team. Lets just hope the cu*ts have a similar performance against us.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #857: Jan 01, 2011 11:00:55 pm
      Watched the highlights on MOTD.

Oh and Mark Lawrenson on MOTD - looks like Deirdre Barlow dressed up for Halloween.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,187 posts | 8558 
      Reply #858: Jan 01, 2011 11:06:58 pm
      Don't know mate did you see them againts West Brown they played as badly as we have this season, they were sloppy as F**k with there passing and were very lucky to get 3 points because West Brom were by far the best team. Lets just hope the cu*ts have a similar performance against us.

Seen a bit of the first half before leaving for the game, but then again, some of our defending today was a bit sloppy too!
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #859: Jan 01, 2011 11:24:14 pm
      Delighted with the result, more releived than anything. Fabio Aurelio, and Stevie Gerrard were my best players today. Glad Nando got his goal, was fantastic work by Gerrard to put the ball in and a class finish by Torres. That will have given him a huge confidence boos and that's what was needed. Joe Cole popping up at the end with the winner, Could have been Maxi but obviously Joe wanted his first premiership goal and good on him. Still think something wasn't Woy about the selection though. However, Good result for us and hopefully we can strive on from this and keep winning.
      njny_scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts |
      Reply #860: Jan 01, 2011 11:39:47 pm
      http://videa.hu/videok/sport/li2-1bomatchhighlight.com-http-www.matchhighlight.com-657Sb6qsBDbHaMQV

I'm still on Cloud 9 because of this goal... well, at least until Blackburn on Wednesday. Thanks to Super Joey Cole.  :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #861: Jan 01, 2011 11:59:41 pm
      Just got off the phone with an old mate, just touching base, new years crap etc.  He had a ticket for todays game, but said after hearing Kenny's plea for unity, he felt he couldn't go.  Not out of disrespect for Kenny, but because he just can't bring himself to back Roy, a man who he believes is every bit a cancer on this club as H & G were.
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #862: Jan 02, 2011 12:11:26 am

Man U are equally poor. Somehow, they just managed to win it today. Odewinge missed a penalty that could have put West Brom ahead too.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,187 posts | 8558 
      Reply #863: Jan 02, 2011 01:02:28 am
      Man U are equally poor. Somehow, they just managed to win it today. Odewinge missed a penalty that could have put West Brom ahead too.

Love the optimism, but have you all forgot, we're away from home!!
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #864: Jan 02, 2011 01:24:01 am
      Was very disappointed with how we played in the 1st half. Then after going behind, something happened. Some of the players started looking annoyed and were getting frustrated when things never went their way.

Specifically the bit when Torres got angry with Cahill, you could see he was physically more energetic and lively after that. For once the players seemed to get the bit between their teeth and actually fight back to win a game.

And I don't think they were "inspired" by a half time rafa-instanbul-esque team talk, I think it was just the frustration got to them and made them fight for it. Excellent, excellent equaliser from Torres. The whole move was very slick and finished off brilliantly. And fair play to the lads for exerting pressure on Bolton right up until the last minute and getting the winner. The BBC called it a debated goal, but that's bollocks. Was Cole offside when the ball went to him? Marginally. Did it come of a Liverpool player? No, so he could've been 20 yards offside and it wouldn't have mattered. Hopefully that'll give Cole a bit more confidence to play like he did the first time he played for us in what i think was a european game.

Gerrard was superb today. Motm by a mile. Made countless tackles and interceptions to start an attack off, and played some perfect balls to create the goals. Only criticism is some of his shots that missed the target, but on another game they'd all fly in. Best he's played since the hattrick in the europan match at anfield. Torres also impressed me for his determination to change the game. And the excellent finish.

And one final point, Fabio Aurelio is 20 times the player that Paul Konchesky is, and aslong as he's fit, he should be starting every game at left back. Surely even Roy can see that now.
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #865: Jan 02, 2011 01:35:44 am
      Gobsmacked when I heard the news that Konchesky wasn't even warming the bench. Is RH finally seeing some of the many errors of his very strange ways???

The team against Blackburn will be interesting!! Will he revert to completely negative type or actually set us up positively?? Who knows what goes on inside his owlish cranium.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #866: Jan 02, 2011 04:44:20 am
      The match reminded me of many many we played under Rafa, where Steven Gerrard was the one man band, who ignited the team. When you think back to the many occasions he saved our bacon, you realise how much influence an elite player can have on a team.

Both goals were created by him, and almost every single attacking thrust was down to his passes, passes that those around him seem incapable of.  If anyone can save Roy Hodgsons job, it is Steven Gerrard, by igniting and inspiring his team mates every week like he did yesterday.  It should not hide the truth, that we need 3 or 4 more high class players who can share the burden and produce similar performances. 

Only then shall we become consistent.....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,187 posts | 8558 
      Reply #867: Jan 02, 2011 05:03:40 am
      Interesting point you all probably already know but eight of the players who played against Wolves dismantled Real Madrid in 2009. Seven of them were involved in the 4-1 defeat of United at Old Trafford. Ten of those who started and played so well today were in Rafa's squad!

When Gerrard came on it was the sh*te team Rafa left!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #868: Jan 02, 2011 07:19:09 am
      Interesting point you all probably already know but eight of the players who played against Wolves dismantled Real Madrid in 2009. Seven of them were involved in the 4-1 defeat of United at Old Trafford. Ten of those who started and played so well today were in Rafa's squad!

Ah.
      So its definitely all the players fault as Mr Hodgson tells us.

Who did enter the dressing room at half time?

Shankly walked amongst them.    
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #869: Jan 02, 2011 07:24:05 am

Well said HR factual and true also we did not miss Koncheski,I hope Roy realises that.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #870: Jan 02, 2011 08:56:10 am
      With Konchesky and Poulsen not involved we always had a chance. The team lacked confidence in the first half. Second half the class of the players told. Atmosphere was pretty poor at times but at the end it was buzzin' and made the admission fee worthwhile! I suspect steps are in place to replace Hodgson so it's damage limitation this season as with Hodgson in place we'll get nothing on the road.
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #871: Jan 02, 2011 09:15:32 am
      I saw this article from Rory Smith (Telegraph) this morning. It mostly centers on the view that KD will take over very soon to allow FSG chance to look at manager targets end of season.

I have copied some of the artcle but what really wound me up was the Hodgson quote relating to yesterdays win. He says .. " I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WAS A GAME WE HAD TO WIN".

What planet is this fella on?????????

Read for yourself..

Hodgson, for his part, remains committed to fighting for his post and yesterday indicated he felt he retained the ongoing support of Henry and Werner, though his remarks were anything but conclusive.

“I guess so,” replied the Liverpool manager when asked whether he believed he retained the faith of the club’s owners. “I spoke to the owners before the game. They wished me well for the game and sympathised with the frustration I felt after the defeat to Wolves.

“I do not know if this was a game we had to win, but we certainly had to play well. I know about all of the negativity but it does not affect me. If we had won on Wednesday night we would be right up there and I would be being asked about the Champions League. Because we did not, I am being asked about the negativity.” The 63-year-old is rather more adamant on the subject of his relationship with his players, with FSG believed to be concerned at his apparent failure to coax better form out of the likes of Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

“I know when players are behind a club and behind their manager,” he said.

“And I know when they are not. Anyone who seriously suggests after watching us play in these six months that there are any problems on the front is being dishonest. I am satisfied that the team gave the performance they want, I want and the fans want.”

Another pathetic interview from a fella who clearly has no clue......KD in for Blackburn game please.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #872: Jan 02, 2011 09:17:25 am

"I would have been satisfied with the performance even if we had drawn after going behind, but to win made it even sweeter".

Did Roy really said that? If he did then I have to fully agreed with some of you mentioning him being manager with a mid-table mentality. I'm not sure about the next game, with Roy its always blowing hot and cold, cold more often. I'm afraid he'll go back to his old ways of parking the bus at Blackburn as after every victoty we thought we have turned the corner but next comes the negative football again.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #873: Jan 02, 2011 09:28:52 am
      Goal offside or not, F***ing don't care! Greatly improved performance.

About time we had some luck on our side after this last 18 months of bad reffing, injuries, and F***ing beach balls.

Quick Reply