Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

2011's Must Have Albums

Read 38153 times
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Re: 2011's Must Have Albums
      Reply #23: Feb 04, 2011 04:19:57 pm
      Chase & Status - No More Idols

got it through teh post today and is a belter, best tracks on there are End Credits (off Harry Brown) No Problem, Hitz & Brixton Briefcase IMO

My mate told me to get this the other day, she said it's quality.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #24: Feb 04, 2011 04:52:58 pm
      The Killers are expected to release a new album later on this year. Woo!
      Brooklyn Red
      • Started Topic

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #25: Feb 15, 2011 02:56:42 pm
      Just listened to Devotchka's new album, '100 Lovers'. Liked it very much.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #26: Feb 18, 2011 10:09:20 pm
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #27: Feb 18, 2011 10:16:26 pm
      very very good apparently. Too bad the man is so fu**ed up on drugs most of the time! A brilliant guitarist, one of the best of my generation I reckon. Don't think the Chilis will the same without him unfortunately :(

Agreed , the 1 or 2 albums they put out when he left the first time were rubbish .
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #28: Feb 19, 2011 11:49:07 am
      I thought it was a matter of time Diego!

I can't really get into Radiohead. I mean, they've created some absolute masterpieces, but the rest of their stuff just seems to do nothing for me.

I wish they stuck to the guitars. Greenwood is an extremely talented guitarist! Use it!!

If all their tracks were Paranoid Android-esque I'd probably be a big fan!
      Brooklyn Red
      • Started Topic

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #29: Feb 19, 2011 12:14:00 pm
      Radiohead is a band whose allure escapes me.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Feb 19, 2011 01:57:53 pm
      Radiohead is a band whose allure escapes me.

Radiohead = Pretentious, self-indulgent, sh*te.  >:D
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2011 02:08:08 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31: Feb 19, 2011 06:28:20 pm
      I'll pretend I didn't read the 3 posts above so I can still love you guys.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,866 posts | 165 
      Reply #32: Feb 20, 2011 12:58:11 am
      My current favourite of 2011 is Stormwarning by Ten.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Feb 20, 2011 06:30:24 pm
      Listened to Radiohead's The King Of Limbs and my god it was utter sh*t. Apart from the song Codex the rest was just a complete wast of a half hour. Who do these guys think they are or more specifically Thom Yorke? Yorke thinks he is so above everyone else intellectually that he can get away with coming up with such mind numbingly, arse clenching "music". They've lost all ability to come up with a song that has a coherent structure or melody. No - that is not "musically advanced" or "ahead of it's time" as some deluded Radiohead fans force themselves to believe so it's just non sensicle, avant garde bullshit. They used to be quite relevant did Radiohead - now they are just a distant droning bore. It's probably time to leave Yorke in his own weird, inconsistent world - presumably that's up his own arse.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #34: Feb 20, 2011 06:51:33 pm
      Hahahaha!!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35: Feb 20, 2011 07:00:26 pm
      Who do these guys think they are or more specifically Thom Yorke?

They're artists, doing whatever they want to... ?

They've lost all ability to come up with a song that has a coherent structure or melody.

Are you serious? You're probably wasting too much time with this girly-soft-songwriter from Coldplay.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36: Feb 20, 2011 07:24:33 pm
      They're artists, doing whatever they want to... ?

Are you serious? You're probably wasting too much time with this girly-soft-songwriter from Coldplay.

Girly?! Ooooh that's a big statement. "I like Radiohead therefore my musical taste is superior"I'd much rather listen to a band like Coldplay who are happy to create very accessible popular music for anyone to enjoy rather than reclusive uninspired guff created in Thom Yorke's weird head. Don't get me wrong I enjoy less mainstream material as well. Whether it's Erland and the Carnival or a band as big as Coldplay, Arcade Fire or U2 as long as they are writing fantastic songs I'm in there. Don't delude yourself mate. The King Of Limbs is the biggest joke yet from that band. Shame because they were so good at one point. Now I'm off to listen to a bit of girly music. The Scientist or Politik?? Which Coldplay song hmmm.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #37: Feb 20, 2011 07:42:28 pm
      For some reason I did kind of look down on Coldplay but I never know why. I have most of their albums, only missing one and they are brilliant. The only reason they get that 'girly music' is because Chris Martin is a bit outspoken, trying to take the Bono route but doing it wrong IMO.

The Scientist is a brilliant song, love the video too, he actually learned the song off backwards for the video.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38: Feb 20, 2011 09:17:10 pm
      For some reason I did kind of look down on Coldplay but I never know why. I have most of their albums, only missing one and they are brilliant. The only reason they get that 'girly music' is because Chris Martin is a bit outspoken, trying to take the Bono route but doing it wrong IMO.

The Scientist is a brilliant song, love the video too, he actually learned the song off backwards for the video.

It's a simple but just brilliant that song. Some of the best songs ever written are amongst the most simple. Every Breath You Take by The Police being one such example. It's unfair that people look at Coldplay merely from such pop singles like Viva La Vida and Fix You. They are so much better than that.
      Still looking forward to LP5 this year. Heard they've got Tim Wheeler from Ash on board as well to collaborate. Along with Brian Eno and Markus Dravs producing it should be an immense album!

Really looking forward to Franz Ferdinand and U2 this year as well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #39: Feb 20, 2011 09:56:21 pm
      Listened to Radiohead's The King Of Limbs and my god it was utter sh*t. Apart from the song Codex the rest was just a complete wast of a half hour. Who do these guys think they are or more specifically Thom Yorke? Yorke thinks he is so above everyone else intellectually that he can get away with coming up with such mind numbingly, arse clenching "music". They've lost all ability to come up with a song that has a coherent structure or melody. No - that is not "musically advanced" or "ahead of it's time" as some deluded Radiohead fans force themselves to believe so it's just non sensicle, avant garde bullshit. They used to be quite relevant did Radiohead - now they are just a distant droning bore. It's probably time to leave Yorke in his own weird, inconsistent world - presumably that's up his own arse.

You have to listen to it live too!

Some of their stuff can be hit and miss, but it does sound stunning live.

In Rainbows was quality but some of their stuff before that I'm not keen on, but saw them in Manchester, when they played a lot of there stuff and they were simply brilliant.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #40: Feb 20, 2011 10:04:58 pm
      Girly?! Ooooh that's a big statement. "I like Radiohead therefore my musical taste is superior"I'd much rather listen to a band like Coldplay who are happy to create very accessible popular music for anyone to enjoy rather than reclusive uninspired guff created in Thom Yorke's weird head. Don't get me wrong I enjoy less mainstream material as well. Whether it's Erland and the Carnival or a band as big as Coldplay, Arcade Fire or U2 as long as they are writing fantastic songs I'm in there. Don't delude yourself mate. The King Of Limbs is the biggest joke yet from that band. Shame because they were so good at one point. Now I'm off to listen to a bit of girly music. The Scientist or Politik?? Which Coldplay song hmmm.

:D Yes, girly, like a romantic comedy soundtrack. Incredibly boring and.. uh... boring.

As for The Kings of Limbs, definately not their best album but I find it hilarious how you make it sound like if they were obligated to deliver "accessible" music, and if they're not writing songs for Jennifer Aniston's next movie, then WHO THEY THINK THEY ARE? Pretentious assholes, of course.

By the way, I only mentioned the Coldplay cause I nearly pissed myself after reading this post in their thread:

Coldplay are the only band making good music these days which can get into the charts. That's how good they are.

If your musical horizons are as narrow as this, I can understand why you might think their new songs don't have a coherent structure or melody. Yet I find it hard to understand what's so weird about this:

Radiohead - Separator
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #41: Feb 20, 2011 10:21:06 pm
      :D Yes, girly, like a romantic comedy soundtrack. Incredibly boring and.. uh... boring.

As for The Kings of Limbs, definately not their best album but I find it hilarious how you make it sound like if they were obligated to deliver "accessible" music, and if they're not writing songs for Jennifer Aniston's next movie, then WHO THEY THINK THEY ARE? Pretentious assholes, of course.

By the way, I only mentioned the Coldplay cause I nearly pissed myself after reading this post in their thread:

If your musical horizons are as narrow as this, I can understand why you might think their new songs don't have a coherent structure or melody. Yet I find it hard to understand what's so weird about this:

Radiohead - Separator

One song from that album and possibly Codex have a structure. The rest is bullshit. And it's nice you like to trawl the Coldplay forum even though you hate them. I don't see any reason not to suggest that Coldplay are the only or one of a select few who can make any impact on the charts. I don't think the charts today are anything to be proud of filled with such sh*t like Tinie Tempah or Rihanna who don't write their own songs.

And Jennifer Aniston movie music? Sorry but that's just desperate.

But I guess you're just afraid of liking a bit of good mainstream music. That's what all Radiohead fans are afraid of. If Radiohead's album was just Thom Yorke farting into a paper bag for 40 minutes then you'd still say it's better than anything and certainly better than normal music from proper big bands like Coldplay and U2. Now please - I've got some good music to listen to. Something needs to save my day after listening to 35 minutes of plain sh*te!

X&Y>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The King Of Limbs
      Yes - even Coldplay's worst album is better than that sewage! I think rather than offer another sort of world class offering like OK Computer they have decided to sell us their waste product instead!
      « Last Edit: Feb 20, 2011 10:26:41 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #42: Feb 20, 2011 10:40:43 pm
      Now you're trying to make it look like if I am the pretentious one here. I have no problem with mainstream, not afraid to like it, and Radiohead, by the way, are one of the most famous bands in the world, just in case you haven't noticed it!

It's alright if you don't like their new album, but please, what's so incoherent about a song like Separator? It's rather sad the way you seem to treat anything different to your soft pop songs as pretentious bullshit, and rather pathetic how you assume that anyone who like them, do so not because of their music.

You just sound like a Christ Martin love puppy, irritated because some people might say the absurd nonsense that Thom Yorke is a better songwriter than him.

By the way, I would swap the entire Coldplay discography for Separator only. It's a matter of taste, you know!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #43: Feb 20, 2011 10:46:22 pm
      Thought Coldplays first album Parachutes was excellent, for me Shiver is still their best song.

Their sound has grown but IMO with the exception of the Scientist, the songwriting hasn't.

Not sure about albums of 2011 yet but cant wait to hear PJ Harvey's new one.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #44: Feb 20, 2011 10:47:12 pm
      I'm sorry Mr. Shankly, gonna have to disagree with you there, but Tinie Tempah is anything but one of 'those ' acts that populate the charts. His debut album was actually brilliant and was heralded by many. I'm not usually into rap or hiphop but that album caught my ears. And to say he doesnt write his own stuff? Come out. I can agree with Rihanna but not Tinie Tempah. One of the best albums last year his was.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #45: Feb 20, 2011 10:58:45 pm
      Now you're trying to make it look like if I am the pretentious one here. I have no problem with mainstream, not afraid to like it, and Radiohead, by the way, are one of the most famous bands in the world, just in case you haven't noticed it!

It's alright if you don't like their new album, but please, what's so incoherent about a song like Separator? It's rather sad the way you seem to treat anything different to your soft pop songs as pretentious bullshit, and rather pathetic how you assume that anyone who like them, do so not because of their music.

You just sound like a Christ Martin love puppy, irritated because some people might say the absurd nonsense that Thom Yorke is a better songwriter than him.

By the way, I would swap the entire Coldplay discography for Separator only. It's a matter of taste, you know!

It is a matter of taste. I'd prefer Chris Martin as a songwriter because I think he writes some of the best melodies out there (I prefer music with melody but some are different). I couldn't give a sh*t who is wife is or who his celebrity friends are or how he goes about doing charity work. If I did then I would be a Chris Martin puppy!

By the way as it is a matter of personal preference I would take as songwriters Chris Martin, Noel Gallagher, Bono over Thom Yorke any day. Thom Yorke from the 90s maybe but not anymore.

Quick Reply