Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Barnes calls for Kop fans reality check

Read 6625 times
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Re: Barnes calls for Kop fans reality check
      Reply #23: Jan 09, 2011 12:22:48 am
      I don't think Barnes is that far from the truth. Take Gerrard and Torres out of our team and sadly we probably are just a top ten team. Thankfully we still have Torres and Gerrard so what Barnes says isn't true. Although the way Torres has played this season has made Barnes statement truer than we would like.

In the last couple of years we have lost 3 of our best players (Sami/Alonso/Masch) who have not really been replaced by similar quality, Carra has reached a stage where maybe time is catching up with him, while Cole has been a disappointing replacement for Benny so far, and our buys have in the main been poor for a while ,mainly swopping journeymen for journeymen and when we have gambled big money(Keane /Aquilani/Johnson) they havent really been the unqualified success's we hoped for.

I think to expect anyone to come in and overnight turn us back into a top 4 side nevermind a title winning side without bringing in at least 3 top quality players is unrealistic. Certainly we are better than our position would suggest, and I hope against hope that the return of the King inspires the team to new hights of effort and achievement, but we still need investment if we are to get back to where we were a couple of seasons ago nevermind the teams of the 70's and 80's.   

Take a couple of players out of any team, and you could say the same, and drop them a few places.

Look at chelski...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #24: Jan 09, 2011 12:24:21 am
      Take a couple of players out of any team, and you could say the same, and drop them a few places.

Look at chelski...

I agree that was my F***ing point
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #25: Jan 09, 2011 12:26:56 am
      How can he say we've been in a transition for 10 - 12 years for us to become a top ten club, when two seasons ago we finished 2nd with the most points that's ever not deserved a premier league tittle, complete rubbish.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: Jan 09, 2011 12:31:55 am
      No offence John but your standard of good is bringing teams like Celtic and Tranmere to the mire.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #27: Jan 09, 2011 12:32:57 am
      How can he say we've been in a transition for 10 - 12 years for us to become a top ten club, when two seasons ago we finished 2nd with the most points that's ever not deserved a premier league tittle, complete rubbish.

I am presuming he means we have been taking 2 steps forward one step back, alternating it every couple of seasons with one step forward two steps back for a long time now. One title challenge in god knows how long doesn't mean you are a success mate. Challenging for the title most seasons would.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #28: Jan 09, 2011 12:34:07 am
      I think it's funny to see the correlation between the people who disliked Rafa, and the people who say Roy wasn't to blame.

Some people don't have the balls to change their mind and admit they might have been wrong about something. Shame it's another of our former greats.
      steviejoe
      • Forum Igor Biscan
      • Started Topic

• 120 posts |
      Reply #29: Jan 09, 2011 12:37:57 am
      Sunday Mirror
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #30: Jan 09, 2011 12:40:44 am
      Yawn.

Who's arsed? Topic for the summer I reckon.
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #31: Jan 09, 2011 12:41:33 am
      Might have his nose put out because he's not getting a job. After all he has a lot of mouths to feed!! :)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      Reply #32: Jan 09, 2011 12:42:30 am
      I am presuming he means we have been taking 2 steps forward one step back, alternating it every couple of seasons with one step forward two steps back for a long time now. One title challenge in god knows how long doesn't mean you are a success mate. Challenging for the title most seasons would.

I understand it doesn't make us a success but surely you cannot think we have been transitioning in the last 10 years to a top 10 club, 2 bad seasons and its like we were never in the top 4.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34: Jan 09, 2011 12:45:18 am
      I think it's funny to see the correlation between the people who disliked Rafa, and the people who say Roy wasn't to blame.

Some people don't have the balls to change their mind and admit they might have been wrong about something. Shame it's another of our former greats.

I just find it sad that people seem more concerned about possible slights to a previous manager than the problems now facing the club..

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #35: Jan 09, 2011 12:48:48 am
      I don't think he is saying that at all mate. I think he is saying we have been in transition for 10-12 years not that we have been a top 10 club for ten to 12 years.

What he is saying (in my opinion) is that we are only spending money like a top ten club and our squad NOW is only top ten standard.

Thats my reading of it anyway mate...
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      Reply #36: Jan 09, 2011 12:53:21 am
      I don't think he is saying that at all mate. I think he is saying we have been in transition for 10-12 years not that we have been a top 10 club for ten to 12 years.

What he is saying (in my opinion) is that we are only spending money like a top ten club and our squad NOW is only top ten standard.

Thats my reading of it anyway mate...

Fair enough, maybe i miss interrupted it because if what your saying is true, then i agree all the same.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #37: Jan 09, 2011 12:53:37 am
      Yawn.

Who's arsed? Topic for the summer I reckon.
      I like it  :gt-happyup:
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #38: Jan 09, 2011 05:42:35 pm

We are way better than a top 10 club and to say the club has been in transition for the last 10 to 12 years is ridiculous. We may not have been winning the title but we have won the FA cup twice, League Cup twice, Uefa Cup once, Super Cup and best of all the 5th European Cup in that period.

I'm sure a hell of a lot of clubs would like a transition period like that!

To be fair, we're not EVEN a top 10 club at the moment so he's hardly selling us short.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #39: Jan 09, 2011 05:47:10 pm
      I would maybe agree with this if H&G had took us down into administration, but I simply cannot accept that fact. We've got John Henry who's a clear winning mentality kind of guy, we'll see what Kenny can do with the team and investments and we'll take it from there.

YNWA clearly means nothing to you Johnny Boy ;)
      bigbaz
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 389 posts |
      • A Proud Irish Scouser
      Reply #40: Jan 09, 2011 05:51:26 pm
      Did Barnes sleep over in Andy Gray's house last night? Because that's the kind of sh*te you would hear comin from him!!
      LFCkl
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 365 posts |
      Reply #41: Jan 09, 2011 05:57:26 pm
      HAHAHA.

A lot can change in a couple of years, John. Not long ago we finished second in the league. With one or two top class players and a manager that is settled, who knows what could happen.

Liverpool fans are allowed to dream - Istanbul '05 - You'll Never Walk Alone.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #42: Jan 09, 2011 06:02:50 pm
      I'd like to pretend that I cared what Barnes thinks but. ... meh.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #43: Jan 09, 2011 07:18:45 pm
      HAHAHA.

A lot can change in a couple of years, John. Not long ago we finished second in the league. With one or two top class players and a manager that is settled, who knows what could happen.

Liverpool fans are allowed to dream - Istanbul '05 - You'll Never Walk Alone.

John Barnes isn't talking about IFs and BUTs - he's talking about currently. In the last few years we have finished 2nd, 5th, 7th and are currently 12th. If that doesn't make us an "also ran" I don't know what does.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #44: Jan 09, 2011 07:45:14 pm
      "Barnes thinks fans should accept the club’s decline."

Oh do be serious, Johnny.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #45: Jan 09, 2011 07:49:30 pm
      Jonh barnes has his opinion, he also need to eat and it's the recession for everyone..

HE knows that we are not a 10th place football team, but because the stability was not there, we messed up and found ourselves in this position.

But..... looking at today performance, the body languages of players, the fans... you can feel that something is in the air..something which wasn't there when roy arrived..F*S, even Gerrard get a red card today..what that does tell you about  team's hunger..??

Jonh Barnes will not be the only one to eat his words in 6 month times..

Quick Reply