Voting closes: Oct 02, 2020 09:51:30 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 2346 times
      Redrew
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #450: Yesterday at 12:04:07 pm
      If I owned Arsenal, I’d fire the coach simply based on his goalie clearance strategy
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,734 posts | 1169 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #451: Yesterday at 12:07:47 pm
      If I owned Arsenal, I’d fire the coach simply based on his goalie clearance strategy

Itll work great agains the Burnleys Villas west broms and utds to pull them out of defence but against us who are masters at pressing from the front it was suicide
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,461 posts | 951 
      • YNWA
      Reply #452: Yesterday at 12:22:54 pm
      Feels good today :) 9 points out of 9.
      Played two teams who have won their other two games.
      Two of them in the 'big 6'.
      Chavs with aspirations to challenge. after big name signings.
      Great start.

Maybe shows how much our results after winning the title last season were down to mentality.
      Saw an article this morning that mentioned our 'iron will', thought was good phrase, we look back in that zone.
      And we have Hendo, Thiago, Matip to come back.
      With Jota, Minamino, Jones etc. looking in good form.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,741 posts | 774 
      Reply #453: Yesterday at 12:53:18 pm
      Feels good today :) 9 points out of 9.
      Played two teams who have won their other two games.
      Two of them in the 'big 6'.
      Chavs with aspirations to challenge. after big name signings.
      Great start.

Maybe shows how much our results after winning the title last season were down to mentality.
      Saw an article this morning that mentioned our 'iron will', thought was good phrase, we look back in that zone.
      And we have Hendo, Thiago, Matip to come back.
      With Jota, Minamino, Jones etc. looking in good form.

Exactly. 100% points so far. We can’t ask for a better outcome than this.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 23,465 posts | 1081 
      Reply #454: Yesterday at 12:53:57 pm
      Aside from the "sloppy" drama.... that is a really solid explanation from Klopp about the game plan, the tactics, and the element of risk in football.

That comment from Keane actually ended up bringing a lot out of Klopp in that interview.

Great watch.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,741 posts | 774 
      Reply #455: Yesterday at 01:00:01 pm
      That comment from Keane actually ended up bringing a lot out of Klopp in that interview.

Great watch.

We need a manager like that to put the pundits in their place. It’s short of Jürgen saying - come here and outdo what I’ve achieved if you are more capable than me.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,213 posts | 1656 
      Reply #456: Yesterday at 01:00:47 pm
      Exactly. 100% points so far. We can’t ask for a better outcome than this.

But we conceded a goal. The other team had chances.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,734 posts | 1169 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #457: Yesterday at 01:01:28 pm
      In fairness Keane didnt say sloppy performance he said sloppy at times. The boss said he came in on the word sloppy and picked up on that
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,213 posts | 1656 
      Reply #458: Yesterday at 01:04:19 pm
      We need a manager like that to put the pundits in their place. It’s short of Jürgen saying - come here and outdo what I’ve achieved if you are more capable than me.

It would frost my pumpkin if I'd put in all that work along with the rest of the team, and it had brought about such a fantastic performance, only to hear some talking head throw shade on it (how much shade that was is up for debate, I know). He was rightly indignant at the description.

Imagine if he would come in here and read the match thread. The commentary after Robbo's error alone would do his head in.  :)

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,741 posts | 774 
      Reply #459: Yesterday at 01:08:43 pm
      But we conceded a goal. The other team had chances.

We know where this is going... We’ve had peace for a few days now. Don’t jinx it Rob. ;D
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,741 posts | 774 
      Reply #460: Yesterday at 01:16:09 pm
      It would frost my pumpkin if I'd put in all that work along with the rest of the team, and it had brought about such a fantastic performance, only to hear some talking head throw shade on it (how much shade that was is up for debate, I know). He was rightly indignant at the description.

Imagine if he would come in here and read the match thread. The commentary after Robbo's error alone would do his head in.  :)

So it’s only right that I defend my boys who worked hard and put in a shift to come from behind. That’s what great managers do. And Jürgen is not a hypocrite. If he was unhappy with some parts of the game he would say so.

Don’t undermine his boys or he will put you in your place. That’s how you get your players to run through a brick wall for you.

And it’s not by punishing or threatening to drop them!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,213 posts | 1656 
      Reply #461: Yesterday at 01:44:01 pm
      So it’s only right that I defend my boys who worked hard and put in a shift to come from behind. That’s what great managers do. And Jürgen is not a hypocrite. If he was unhappy with some parts of the game he would say so.

Don’t undermine his boys or he will put you in your place. That’s how you get your players to run through a brick wall for you.

And it’s not by punishing or threatening to drop them!

NOW who is jinxing??!?!?  ;D

*hides in curtains*
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,326 posts | 709 
      Reply #462: Yesterday at 02:07:53 pm
      Great win.

Going into that last night I wanted 2 things...obviously the 3 points, but I wanted us to make sure that Auba never did his usual trick, cutting in from the left and smashing it into the top right corner. He never had a sniff all game. Was so proud of TAA, Joe and Fab for not letting that happen!

What more can you say about Sadio Mane? What a beast, he's on a different planet at the moment and I'm so glad he's ours!

Diogo, what can we say, excellent debut performance and so happy you got your first goal. I have a feeling you may quadruple that come Friday morning!

So happy beating that lot, one of my idiot mates is an annoying Arsenal Arsehole and this is what he wrote straight after to the match but he dare not send it to me, but my other mate did!!!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Fair play to him though.
      I remember in the 1665/66 season we lost a match in London because we were worried about catching the plague.
      And we had to travel for a week on horse and cart to get there, only to find the pigs bladder had a slow puncture, we had to wait for someone to slaughter another pig.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,741 posts | 774 
      Reply #463: Yesterday at 04:53:33 pm
      NOW who is jinxing??!?!?  ;D

*hides in curtains*

Yea, me.  :aaliverpool2xt1:

In all fairness, dropping players is an effective management tool for:
      1) giving them a much needed rest when their bodies require; and
      2) lazy and demotivated players who need to be penalised, for them to achieve their best outcomes. It’s probably very much like some little kids who need to be threatened for them to behave the way you want.

In my own view, the players are already motivated, grown up men. They know what they need to do after a poor performance. There isn’t a need to drop players haphazardly and unnecessarily unless there are very good reasons that will achieve better outcomes.

So yes, I’m not totally against this. In fact, I recognise its use in certain situations. It’s just that with the players we have, there isn’t a need for this to achieve better outcomes. Creating strive amongst players may backfire on teamwork and morale too. Anyway, Klopp’s in charge. Who are we to judge him?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,213 posts | 1656 
      Reply #464: Yesterday at 05:50:10 pm
      Yea, me.  :aaliverpool2xt1:

In all fairness, dropping players is an effective management tool for:
      1) giving them a much needed rest when their bodies require; and
      2) lazy and demotivated players who need to be penalised, for them to achieve their best outcomes. It’s probably very much like some little kids who need to be threatened for them to behave the way you want.

In my own view, the players are already motivated, grown up men. They know what they need to do after a poor performance. There isn’t a need to drop players haphazardly and unnecessarily unless there are very good reasons that will achieve better outcomes.

So yes, I’m not totally against this. In fact, I recognise its use in certain situations. It’s just that with the players we have, there isn’t a need for this to achieve better outcomes. Creating strive amongst players may backfire on teamwork and morale too. Anyway, Klopp’s in charge. Who are we to judge him?

We are the keyboard warriors, that's who!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Klopp is ruthless enough, but if I compare it to the business world, if someone who works for me is not performing up to standard, either through incompetence or apathy, that reflects on them but it also reflects on me, particularly when I am the person responsible for determining who is filling the positions meant to perform the work I am responsible for. Yes there are management decisions, but a major part of it is identifying the right people to do jobs and giving them the environment in which to perform at a high level.

All to say Jürgen and team do a great job of identifying the right people to be part of the squad, and recognizing who don't have the proper mentality for it. That doesn't mean you can just clear out everyone instantly (there are legal, financial and relational reasons why you sometimes have to wait), but once you have the right people on board, there shouldn't need to be a whole lot of drama.

Along with this, having realistic expectations for evaluation, looking for patterns of behavior and performance rather than going ape over moments in time, helps sustain that positive working environment. Klopps seems a master at this.

EDIT: And the parent/child analogy could be an entirely different discussion, but I'm sure I'd be an outlier on those ideas - and a total bore (more than usual I mean).

red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,386 posts |
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #465: Yesterday at 06:46:01 pm
      Arsenal keeper and full backs absolutely bricking it when Mane was near,could not believe the keeper trying to play the ball out all the time when clearly did not have the skills ,very impressed by the lads attitude and performance last night ,and what a subs bench we have too !
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 653 
      Reply #466: Yesterday at 09:08:52 pm
      We have set the bar in terms of pressing teams as they play out from the back. Arteta said as much after the game.Other managers will use us as a template without referring directly to us.

Playing out from the back is about possession but there is also the issues regarding constant heading of the ball. This issue has helped lead the game into a more pure game of football.

Big boot managers like fat Sam have rightly left the game. Used to say you had to kick your way out of the chempionship but thanks to clubs like Brentford and others, that league is now more about skill than it ever was.

Looking forward to see if we can out play the rest with skill and tactics. Made a cracking start.

Quick Reply