Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pundits and Commentators

Read 430407 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #2300: Nov 26, 2020 09:08:43 pm
      I think people have a tendency to view Carra through rose tinted glasses, he was a good defender but never great.

And you call me a WUM  :lmao: Your a brave man heimy  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2301: Nov 26, 2020 09:55:23 pm

Not the terminology I would use ...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2302: Nov 26, 2020 10:05:13 pm
      Not the terminology I would use ...

I'll be diplomatic and presume you mean a wum.  :lmao:
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #2303: Nov 26, 2020 11:56:29 pm
      You dont play nearly 800 games for Liverpool football club if you're simply "good"

Great to some might mean Maldini and Cafu level, which dwarfs Carra comparatively.

We set our own bar. I could set great to be such a high bar that only two players to me are great - Pele and Maradona. Forget Eusebio, Zatlan, Maldini, Cryuff, Backenbauer, Ronaldo, and Messi etc. Or I could push the bar even higher - I've never seen a great football player before. Even Maradona and Pele weren't that good.

Whether it's fair, that's another question. It's everybody's right to draw their own boundaries whichever way they like.

I'd include Carra as a club great. As long as you make it into our museum, I'd consider you to be great. And because you played 800 games for us.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2304: Nov 27, 2020 03:16:31 am
      I'll be diplomatic and presume you mean a wum.  :lmao:

Uh ........................ ....................... no.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2305: Nov 27, 2020 07:46:35 am
      Great to some might mean Maldini and Cafu level, which dwarfs Carra comparatively.

We set our own bar. I could set great to be such a high bar that only two players to me are great - Pele and Maradona. Forget Eusebio, Zatlan, Maldini, Cryuff, Backenbauer, Ronaldo, and Messi etc. Or I could push the bar even higher - I've never seen a great football player before. Even Maradona and Pele weren't that good.

Whether it's fair, that's another question. It's everybody's right to draw their own boundaries whichever way they like.

I'd include Carra as a club great. As long as you make it into our museum, I'd consider you to be great. And because you played 800 games for us.

Weā€™re not comparing Carra to Maldini, Cafu, etc weā€™re talking about what service he gave LFC, of course he wasnā€™t as good as those world beaters but he was good & great enough to play 737 times for Liverpool FC, spanning 17 years, 149 of those were in European competition a club record, he was vice captain for 10 years and but for managerial choices would no doubt have been Captain,

I canā€™t believe some so called Liverpool fans are so dismissive of one of our most passionate players  in recent times, had he been born 10 years later heā€™d be at the centre of our defence with Virgil(possibly) and weā€™d all be waxing lyrical about the best CB pairing since Hansen & Lawrenson/ Gillespie,

What type of player do you want most in a Liverpool side ?

You want someone who has Liverpool blood running through him, a proper Scouser who knows what it means to pull that Red shirt over his head, knows what it means to Play in front of fellow red Scousers, with a few Scots chucked in as well, you had all that and more in Carra, but apparently that doesnā€™t matter anymore, yeah, well good luck saying that in the Sandon .

ā€œWe all dream of a team of Carraghersā€

Y  N  W  A
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2306: Nov 27, 2020 09:27:48 am
      Uh ........................ ....................... no.

Oh dear must be bad then  :lmao:
      Kopite78
      Reply #2307: Nov 27, 2020 09:44:46 am
      I dont think Carragher is towing any Sky line, I think he thinks of himself as a pundit who knows the game and can give a clear opinion over what he is witnessing, but there is no doubt where his loyalties are when it comes to Liverpool

Has anyone listened to his greatest game podcast? Similar way of interviewing on there, rounded overall view. Think it's just his style and I'm sound with that, I honestly dont know why people get wound up by pundits, like they know the game better than them

I'd recommend the Pod if people haven't listened to it, I've listened to most, not wasted my time listening to a couple like the Ryan Giggs one or Chris Moyles
      Didi Hamman on this weeks, and I tell you what I loved the Tim Cahill one, he seems a proper sound fella
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #2308: Nov 27, 2020 05:00:47 pm

Has anyone listened to his greatest game podcast? Similar way of interviewing on there, rounded overall view. Think it's just his style and I'm sound with that, I honestly dont know why people get wound up by pundits, like they know the game better than them

I'd recommend the Pod if people haven't listened to it, I've listened to most, not wasted my time listening to a couple like the Ryan Giggs one or Chris Moyles
      Didi Hamman on this weeks, and I tell you what I loved the Tim Cahill one, he seems a proper sound fella

The Giggs one wasn't bad to be fair. Gave it a listen as at least he was a footballer. All the non-footballer ones I don't bother with, like the lad from One Direction and Chris Moyles as you mentioned. Good podcast but it would be much better if he kept it to people who have actually played the game professionally
      rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #2309: Nov 28, 2020 02:45:57 pm
      Who is this w**ker grilling JĆ¼rgen on BT condescending  tw*t
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2310: Nov 28, 2020 02:53:51 pm

That was some post match interview with Klopp.  :o :o who was it?
      Kopite78
      Reply #2311: Nov 28, 2020 03:03:31 pm

Des Kelly? Cant say I've ever heard of the c**t but hes lucky JĆ¼rgen didnt spark him
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2312: Nov 28, 2020 03:13:15 pm
      Des Kelly? Cant say I've ever heard of the c**t but hes lucky JĆ¼rgen didnt spark him

Former sports journalist at Mirror and Mail, basically their version of Geoff Shreeves.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2313: Nov 28, 2020 03:14:53 pm
      Former sports journalist at Mirror and Mail, basically their version of Geoff Shreeves.

Yeah just looked him up

Talkshite too

So the daily hail and the radio version  of the sun..

As I said, lucky JĆ¼rgen didnt spark him
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #2314: Nov 28, 2020 03:35:14 pm
      Yeah just looked him up

Talkshite too

So the daily hail and the radio version  of the sun..

As I said, lucky JĆ¼rgen didnt spark him

Anybody with the name Desmond should be required to be sparked at least once a day anyway, by law
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #2315: Nov 29, 2020 07:06:50 pm
      Off the top of my head

Pundits I like
      Souness
      Rosenior
      Higginbotham
      Hinchcliffe
      Alan Smith
      Keane
      Gullit
      Carragher
      Dublin

Pundits who I think are bad
      Osman
      Richards
      Merson
      Macca

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2316: Dec 01, 2020 11:50:25 am
      Argue all you like about Des Kelly but he did his job and his bosses will be delighted with him.

Got JĆ¼rgen to let his guard down.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #2317: Dec 01, 2020 09:11:42 pm
      Am I the only one who canā€™t listen to Merson anymore??.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #2318: Dec 02, 2020 09:31:53 am

Anymore?

He's a clueless bellend but gladly I don't come across him too much.

Anyone else find Carra and Neville's faux 'rivalry' and banter a bit tiresome?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2319: Dec 02, 2020 11:25:24 am

I stopped listening to him when he stood on the pitch every time after a goal pretending to down lager after lager.
      T**t.
      Ddecker
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 49 
      Reply #2320: Dec 06, 2020 09:15:12 pm
      Clive tyldsley and ally mccoist have been like a breath of fresh air tonight
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #2321: Dec 06, 2020 09:22:59 pm
      Canā€™t fault amazon on there coverage been faultless no bias or politics just get on with the footie which is what we all want.
      The pairing of McCoist & tyldsley is outstanding & beats anything we have in the U.K. including the shitehawks & hangers  on at BBC, tyldsley is proper old school and has been around the block since the mid to late 70ā€s and was head commentator for all of Liverpoolā€™s games from about 1977 When he started at radio city in Liverpool to the late 80ā€™s.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #2322: Dec 06, 2020 09:34:17 pm

Loved them. Was like listening to a couple of mates watching the game down the pub which is exactly what you want.

Just highlights how poor the current BT and Sky selection are.

Liked Crouch and Roberto Martinez in the studio as well and good to see Simon Thomas back presenting after what he's been through.

Quick Reply