Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Pundits and Commentators

Read 442483 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #3956: Apr 01, 2024 04:40:13 pm
      He done the pre-match gab with Carragher yesterday.

Must be nearing fitness.

Was he out trying to get into the heads of city like before the city game :laugh:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #3957: Apr 01, 2024 05:21:02 pm
      Advantage Liverpool but City still favourites says Shearer
      At the moment it is advantage Liverpool, and Arsenal are not going away, but, with nine games to go, I still see Manchester City as favourites for the Premier League title.

That feeling is not really based on how City are playing right now, though. Pep Guardiola's side are on a long unbeaten run, stretching back 23 games in all competitions, but they have not hit top form and a few of their performances in that spell have not quite been at the level we have come to expect.

Some of their results have been disappointing too, including Sunday's 0-0 draw with the Gunners. It must be a concern for Guardiola that his side have not beaten another top-five team this season, in six attempts.

City have a chance to change that when they play Aston Villa at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday - and they have to.

They cannot afford to drop points in successive games, so it's another huge night for them - against the last team to beat them, on 6 December.

One of City's biggest strengths, however, is that they have been here and done it so many times before.

And, while their rivals might be in better form, City have the experience to know that the draw with Arsenal was not a disaster.

It was a much better result for the Gunners, but it will not bother City too much when they face Villa, or going forward, because there is a quarter of the season left.

They were my pick to win the league when it started and I am certainly not going to change my mind now.

Arsenal will be there until the end

Arsenal's display on Sunday was very different to what happened there 11 months ago, when City battered them 4-1 on their way to winning the league.

This performance showed again how they have progressed, and the work they have done in the transfer window has definitely helped, because Declan Rice has undoubtedly made a huge difference in midfield.

But, as a team unit, they were excellent on Sunday. They were solid all over the pitch and gave very little away.

Plenty of teams go to the Etihad with a plan like that to stop City, but very few execute it as well as Arsenal did.

The stats speak for themselves. City had scored in 47 straight home league games before Sunday, and the last time they failed to find the net, against Crystal Palace in October 2021, they played the second half with 10 men.

Any team that goes there and restricts them to one shot on target, which is what Arsenal managed, deserves a point, but the Gunners had the better chances too.

Gabriel Jesus had a couple of decent efforts in the first half and they had a really good opportunity late on when Leandro Trossard got clear down the left but did not pass to Gabriel Martinelli, who was in space in the middle.

Overall, though, it was another game where Arsenal got their tactics right and their gameplan worked, so they will be pleased with a point even though it could have been more.

They scored lots of goals in their eight-game winning run before the international break, but you cannot go to City and play the same kind of expansive football that got them those results.

Instead, their task this time was to defend really well, both as individuals and as a team, and they did a magnificent job of that.

It did not make it a particularly exciting match to watch - in fact, it was pretty awful for the neutral - but Gunners boss Mikel Arteta won't care about that.

His side faded away at this stage of last season, but this performance suggested that they are not going anywhere this time. They are going to be there right until the end of this title race.

Liverpool's firepower is their biggest strength

Arsenal went into the weekend top of the table but Liverpool came out of it as leaders thanks to their win over Brighton earlier on Sunday.

I am convinced things will keep on changing in the weeks to come, with the leading trio continuing to flip-flop their positions at the top.

We can all look at all their remaining fixtures and say which games we think they should win, but I've been in title races myself and it is never as easy as that.

It is almost guaranteed that there will be weekends where at least one of the three teams will stumble and everyone will say 'what a terrible result', but I am expecting a few twists and turns like that before the end, and right now we are no closer to knowing who will end up on top.

At the moment it is Liverpool who have the advantage, but only after a real battle to fight back and beat Brighton.

It was not a great team performance by Jürgen Klopp's side, but we've seen all season that it doesn't have to be when you have the firepower they do.

Liverpool are relentless when they come forward, especially at Anfield, and they kept on creating chances - Alexis Mac Allister was magnificent in midfield.

Mohamed Salah had one of those days where he was shooting at every opportunity, but when myself, Gary Lineker and Glenn Murray were watching for MOTD2, all three of us as former strikers thought it was only a matter of time before one of them went in.

The sign of a great goalscorer is that you are never bothered when you are missing chances because you still believe you are going to get a goal.

That was the case with Salah. It took him nine attempts to score, but it turned out to be the winner and that's the one that matters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68704277

I get the feeling even when we're lifting the League in May, these pundits will still say City will win it.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1531 
      Reply #3958: Apr 01, 2024 08:46:45 pm
      Advantage Liverpool but City still favourites says Shearer
      At the moment it is advantage Liverpool, and Arsenal are not going away, but, with nine games to go, I still see Manchester City as favourites for the Premier League title.

That feeling is not really based on how City are playing right now, though. Pep Guardiola's side are on a long unbeaten run, stretching back 23 games in all competitions, but they have not hit top form and a few of their performances in that spell have not quite been at the level we have come to expect.

Some of their results have been disappointing too, including Sunday's 0-0 draw with the Gunners. It must be a concern for Guardiola that his side have not beaten another top-five team this season, in six attempts.

City have a chance to change that when they play Aston Villa at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday - and they have to.

They cannot afford to drop points in successive games, so it's another huge night for them - against the last team to beat them, on 6 December.

One of City's biggest strengths, however, is that they have been here and done it so many times before.

And, while their rivals might be in better form, City have the experience to know that the draw with Arsenal was not a disaster.

It was a much better result for the Gunners, but it will not bother City too much when they face Villa, or going forward, because there is a quarter of the season left.

They were my pick to win the league when it started and I am certainly not going to change my mind now.

Arsenal will be there until the end

Arsenal's display on Sunday was very different to what happened there 11 months ago, when City battered them 4-1 on their way to winning the league.

This performance showed again how they have progressed, and the work they have done in the transfer window has definitely helped, because Declan Rice has undoubtedly made a huge difference in midfield.

But, as a team unit, they were excellent on Sunday. They were solid all over the pitch and gave very little away.

Plenty of teams go to the Etihad with a plan like that to stop City, but very few execute it as well as Arsenal did.

The stats speak for themselves. City had scored in 47 straight home league games before Sunday, and the last time they failed to find the net, against Crystal Palace in October 2021, they played the second half with 10 men.

Any team that goes there and restricts them to one shot on target, which is what Arsenal managed, deserves a point, but the Gunners had the better chances too.

Gabriel Jesus had a couple of decent efforts in the first half and they had a really good opportunity late on when Leandro Trossard got clear down the left but did not pass to Gabriel Martinelli, who was in space in the middle.

Overall, though, it was another game where Arsenal got their tactics right and their gameplan worked, so they will be pleased with a point even though it could have been more.

They scored lots of goals in their eight-game winning run before the international break, but you cannot go to City and play the same kind of expansive football that got them those results.

Instead, their task this time was to defend really well, both as individuals and as a team, and they did a magnificent job of that.

It did not make it a particularly exciting match to watch - in fact, it was pretty awful for the neutral - but Gunners boss Mikel Arteta won't care about that.

His side faded away at this stage of last season, but this performance suggested that they are not going anywhere this time. They are going to be there right until the end of this title race.

Liverpool's firepower is their biggest strength

Arsenal went into the weekend top of the table but Liverpool came out of it as leaders thanks to their win over Brighton earlier on Sunday.

I am convinced things will keep on changing in the weeks to come, with the leading trio continuing to flip-flop their positions at the top.

We can all look at all their remaining fixtures and say which games we think they should win, but I've been in title races myself and it is never as easy as that.

It is almost guaranteed that there will be weekends where at least one of the three teams will stumble and everyone will say 'what a terrible result', but I am expecting a few twists and turns like that before the end, and right now we are no closer to knowing who will end up on top.

At the moment it is Liverpool who have the advantage, but only after a real battle to fight back and beat Brighton.

It was not a great team performance by Jürgen Klopp's side, but we've seen all season that it doesn't have to be when you have the firepower they do.

Liverpool are relentless when they come forward, especially at Anfield, and they kept on creating chances - Alexis Mac Allister was magnificent in midfield.

Mohamed Salah had one of those days where he was shooting at every opportunity, but when myself, Gary Lineker and Glenn Murray were watching for MOTD2, all three of us as former strikers thought it was only a matter of time before one of them went in.

The sign of a great goalscorer is that you are never bothered when you are missing chances because you still believe you are going to get a goal.

That was the case with Salah. It took him nine attempts to score, but it turned out to be the winner and that's the one that matters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68704277

I get the feeling even when we're lifting the League in May, these pundits will still say City will win it.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:     Dead right.  Fuckers won't have us winning it will they
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #3959: Apr 04, 2024 02:31:59 pm
      Misery guts Shearer should be more worried about Newcastle pet. Lucky if they qualify for the friggin' sausage roll cup they way their playing. Couldn't beat a carpet. Satisfied with a point from Everton, time to say auf wiedersehen Howe.

No chance Shearer taking over, cushy number sitting on his arse telling everybody else how to play. Gob on him, turn milk sour.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 755 posts | 128 
      Reply #3960: Apr 04, 2024 03:09:27 pm
      Misery guts Shearer should be more worried about Newcastle pet. Lucky if they qualify for the friggin' sausage roll cup they way their playing. Couldn't beat a carpet. Satisfied with a point from Everton, time to say auf wiedersehen Howe.

No chance Shearer taking over, cushy number sitting on his arse telling everybody else how to play. Gob on him, turn milk sour.
      That lad would give Valium depression...
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 850 posts | 166 
      Reply #3961: Apr 04, 2024 03:30:22 pm
      Does anybody really care or pay attention to who predicts which club will win what? I'd rather spend the weekend at Windsor Castle with the Royals so they could tell me how wonderful the Tories are.

They all backtrack and change their minds every other month like the weather in a poor attempt to cover up how foolish they sounded at the beginning, mid-season etc.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6740 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3962: Apr 06, 2024 12:07:59 am
      I don't kow if this is the right place to put this but..

I was really enjoying watching this nice looking lady sitting behind Jürgen and was wondering who the F**k is this hot chick? Why she is sitting there? how does she get to sit on our bench and why is she always looking at Jurgens arse?  :D

But then I saw this....and I figured, she ain't one of us, F**k off ya c**t and let me have your seat!  ;D

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #3963: Apr 06, 2024 06:58:37 am

I was really enjoying watching this nice looking lady sitting behind Jürgen and was wondering who the F**k is this hot chick? Why she is sitting there? how does she get to sit on our bench and why is she always looking at Jurgens arse?  :D

But then I saw this....and I figured, she ain't one of us, F**k off ya c**t and let me have your seat!  ;D

It’s Laura Woods mate.

Made her name on sky as the bird who all the darts fans went to see rather than watch the actual darts.

She’s now on bt sports and was presenting our game with Gary Mac.

Think she’s an Arsenal fan, which probably explains the miserable look on her mush.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3964: Apr 06, 2024 07:11:52 am

Billy’s spot on mate, but he forgot to mention that she has her name etched on the soles of her shoes, she’s so far up her own arse it’s the only way she can be recognised, and she’s had her tits done, her lips too and we all know why, she didn’t get up that career ladder just by her looks did she 😜

YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6740 
      Reply #3965: Apr 07, 2024 12:27:19 am
      It’s Laura Woods mate.

Made her name on sky as the bird who all the darts fans went to see rather than watch the actual darts.

She’s now on bt sports and was presenting our game with Gary Mac.

Think she’s an Arsenal fan, which probably explains the miserable look on her mush.

Thanks mate, yeah she looked mighty fine till we scored.  >:D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6740 
      Reply #3966: Apr 07, 2024 12:28:33 am

Billy’s spot on mate, but he forgot to mention that she has her name etched on the soles of her shoes, she’s so far up her own arse it’s the only way she can be recognised, and she’s had her tits done, her lips too and we all know why, she didn’t get up that career ladder just by her looks did she 😜

YNWA

I can only see her face as she's sitting down. Imagining the rest till u just made me do otherwise.  :lmao:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3967: Apr 07, 2024 09:02:42 am
      I can only see her face as she's sitting down. Imagining the rest till u just made me do otherwise.  :lmao:

Her tits previously were like a couple of aspirins on a iron board, she’s got a nice ass, think of a ripe peach and yer close, shame she had to succumb to botex with her lips, she didn’t have a pout before, maybe she was bobbing up and down the night before and it’s left a swelling 🤣🤣

YNWA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #3968: Apr 07, 2024 09:08:34 am
      Thanks mate, yeah she looked mighty fine till we scored.  >:D

Can’t say I’m a fan. Got a dodgy gob, especially when she does smile.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #3969: Apr 07, 2024 09:36:25 am
      Why she is sitting there? how does she get to sit on our bench and why is she always looking at Jurgens arse?  :D

She probably works for the club on the first team now. We’ve got blueshite on staff as well. Equal opportunity employer.

Well unless it’s those emotional videos - we’d like to offer you tickets to the game and in the dugout given by one of our sponsors.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3437 
      Reply #3970: Apr 07, 2024 09:53:40 am
      Stay classy chaps

As a presenter her and Kate Abdo are prob two of the best out there
      Harrisimo

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #3971: Apr 07, 2024 02:00:53 pm
      Carra and Snivel...can't be arsed watchin' them much these days..but hope there's bit of afters....bit of a barney. Too tame by the long way. Keane stays neutral half the time...get in there Carra my son..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #3972: Apr 07, 2024 02:46:09 pm
      Stay classy chaps

As a presenter her and Kate Abdo are prob two of the best out there

Until Carra starts taking the piss out of Kate Abdo for loyalty!!

Quick Reply