Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pundits and Commentators

Read 429782 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Pundits and Commentators.
      Reply #46: Jan 07, 2012 08:29:05 pm
      I posted in the live stream last night that commentator said something along the lines that KD and Dickov were very similar players, other than in terms of quality.

You couldn't make up sh#te like that

That was the Setanta guy and he compared Bellamy to Dickov as well. Actually he seemed to have a bit of a thing for Paul Dickov for some reason.

Terrible commentary last night.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #47: Jan 07, 2012 08:37:12 pm
      Tell you who is more pro us than most, (and I know I'll get slagged for saying it) Sounness.

Souness is one of the better commentators out there. Great player and still a legend for this club even though he fu**ed up. The way Kenny described him in his autobiography was wonderful.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #48: Jan 07, 2012 08:41:52 pm
       Souness's apology for his rick. From the heart, fantastic player and a Liverpool legend for me Graeme Souness on his time as Liverpool manager
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #49: Jan 07, 2012 08:46:06 pm
      Its getting pretty dire now that every pundit thinks they can have a go at us, Bring it on I say w ehave long memories. Souness always talks sense to me and I think i am right in saying he always says something positive about the club others like Lawrenson think they have a right to have a sly dig because the BBC pay their wages.
      DMS
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #50: Jan 08, 2012 02:11:43 am
      i know he doesn't really slag off liverpool, but i think the worst commentator ever has to be ray "bore the arse off me" wilkins, when i hear him on sly commentating i just have to turn the sound off, can't stand listening to the man
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #51: Jan 08, 2012 05:53:19 am
      you would think half of them would be very embarressed by their ignorant, black and white, tabloid media derived views. However then you realise they are ignorant, 1 dimensional people who read tabloids. I mean Stan Collymore, Savage, Shearer, Lawrenson etc. These people are hardly rocket scientists and it's not like they have small egos. How do I know.....BECAUSE I AM A ROCKET SCIENTIST!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #52: Jan 08, 2012 07:02:52 am
      Souness's apology for his rick. From the heart, fantastic player and a Liverpool legend for me Graeme Souness on his time as Liverpool manager
      His playing days are the stuff of legend, the man himself is honesty personified and often his views are self depreciating and brutally candid.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #53: Jan 08, 2012 07:24:06 am
      Its like they say a good footballer does not always make a good manager or coach,the same also applies a good footballer does not make a good pundit.Some of these pundits might of been clever with their feet but are unable to transfer that cleverness to their brain.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #54: Jan 08, 2012 08:20:58 am
      Quote from stuey
      His playing days are the stuff of legend, the man himself is honesty personified and often his views are self depreciating and brutally candid.

Wonderful player, average pundit, horrific coach. We're still trying to repair the damage his reign cost us, all these years later.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #55: Jan 08, 2012 10:28:52 am
      That was the Setanta guy and he compared Bellamy to Dickov as well. Actually he seemed to have a bit of a thing for Paul Dickov for some reason.

Terrible commentary last night.

Cheers srslfc - was watching with the kids so wasn't sure if I heard it right.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #56: Jan 08, 2012 10:36:19 am
      Souness fu**ed up but big credit to the man, he held his hands up and said sorry.

Remember at the time, even when results were very poor half the Kop were still singing his name while the other half were booing.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #57: Jan 08, 2012 10:40:35 am
      Wonderful player, average pundit, horrific coach. We're still trying to repair the damage his reign cost us, all these years later.

Can't agree with that. Too many people at Liverpool over the years have looked for excuses, and using a fella who coached us 20 years ago is about as far a stretch as you can get. He was a better manager for us than Juande Ramos was for Spurs five or six seasons ago. When Redknapp took over they were adrift at the bottom of the league. They now have a better squad than we do and will likely finish above us this season, no time for excuses because nobody cares and nobody wants to listen.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #58: Jan 08, 2012 10:48:52 am
      I'm sure Beglin supports the scum... damaged goods.

Lawro just a Lemming.

Hansen, calls it as he see's it at the time. Which somethimes hurts.

Aldrigde, 100% Red

You can always use this when the lies start..

this !
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #59: Jan 08, 2012 10:59:06 am
      Quote from: big mick
      Can't agree with that. Too many people at Liverpool over the years have looked for excuses, and using a fella who coached us 20 years ago is about as far a stretch as you can get. He was a better manager for us than Juande Ramos was for Spurs five or six seasons ago. When Redknapp took over they were adrift at the bottom of the league.

It's not an excuse. He inherited a wonderful side, top of the league, with fantastic players. Overnight, a considerable number of players with limited experience and/or simply not good enough were signed, while those wonderful players were flogged to whoever wanted them, some of them across the road. Within months we lost to Peterborough in the League Cup, while Bristol City, Chesterfield, and the hapless Swindon Town gave us a bloody nose later on. The year he left, we finished 8th in the league.

Of course he's not solely to blame for all our troubles, but so much damage was done in those three years, that we've been playing catch up with the opposition ever since, on and in some cases, off the field. The day we win the league, will be the day we will have finally caught up. That could still be a while away.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2012 11:10:03 am by lfc across the water »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #60: Jan 08, 2012 09:49:37 pm
      It's not an excuse. He inherited a wonderful side, top of the league, with fantastic players. Overnight, a considerable number of players with limited experience and/or simply not good enough were signed, while those wonderful players were flogged to whoever wanted them, some of them across the road. Within months we lost to Peterborough in the League Cup, while Bristol City, Chesterfield, and the hapless Swindon Town gave us a bloody nose later on. The year he left, we finished 8th in the league.

Of course he's not solely to blame for all our troubles, but so much damage was done in those three years, that we've been playing catch up with the opposition ever since, on and in some cases, off the field. The day we win the league, will be the day we will have finally caught up. That could still be a while away.

I really don't think we can blame Souness for still playing catch up. Hicks and Gillet set us further back than Souey ever did, both on and off the pitch. Souness still won a trophy, in his time, that's easy to forget. And yes he dismantled the team to quickly, but he also brought through Steve McManamen and Robbie Fowler, not a bad combination to build an attacking force around.

What killed us is that managers who followed from Evans to Houllier to Rafa is that they didn't push on from a solid base. We have been a 'nearly' team under all those managers, and for various reasons we never took that final step under them to league title winners. Remember all those managers have finished 2nd in the league (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and you can't blame Souness for them not taking that final step.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #61: Jan 08, 2012 09:52:31 pm
      I really don't think we can blame Souness for still playing catch up. Hicks and Gillet set us further back than Souey ever did, both on and off the pitch. Souness still won a trophy, in his time, that's easy to forget. And yes he dismantled the team to quickly, but he also brought through Steve McManamen and Robbie Fowler, not a bad combination to build an attacking force around.

What killed us is that managers who followed from Evans to Houllier to Rafa is that they didn't push on from a solid base. We have been a 'nearly' team under all those managers, and for various reasons we never took that final step under them to league title winners. Remember all those managers have finished 2nd in the league (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and you can't blame Souness for them not taking that final step.

You're wrong.

Evans never finished second, due in the main to having a sh*t keeper and never replacing him. If we had Reina in the 90s, we'd of won the League year in year out as our attacking play was as good as in the world at that time.

Also, McManaman made his debut under Dalglish in 1990 so technically it wasn't Souness who brought Macca through.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #62: Jan 08, 2012 09:56:34 pm
      You're wrong.

Evans never finished second, due in the main to having a sh*t keeper and never replacing him. If we had Reina in the 90s, we'd of won the League year in year out as our attacking play was as good as in the world at that time.

Also, McManaman made his debut under Dalglish in 1990 so technically it wasn't Souness who brought Macca through.
      My mistake, Evans was the one I was unsure on, but he still had a team as you said that was capable of winning the league, all we needed was a few players with a better mentality, and as you say, a decent keeper!

However, I still feel my main point still stands, that it really is grasping at straws to blame Souness for us not winning the league for as long as we have.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #63: Jan 08, 2012 10:06:05 pm
      My mistake, Evans was the one I was unsure on, but he still had a team as you said that was capable of winning the league, all we needed was a few players with a better mentality, and as you say, a decent keeper!

However, I still feel my main point still stands, that it really is grasping at straws to blame Souness for us not winning the league for as long as we have.

Aye I agree in the main, it's unfair to still be blaming Souness. If anything, we played our best football of the Premiership era immediately after Souness left under Evans. There has been some major factors in us not winning the League, Hicks and Gillett, Houllier's heart problems and Evans' unluckiness of coming up against the best ever United sides and not having a decent keeper. If he did, United's best wouldn't of been good enough.

Blaming Souness 20 years on since he took over is scraping the barrel. Especially given how Evans sold some of the worst players Souness left him with within his first full year - Piechnik, Dicks and Hutchison. As well as the aging Stevie Nicol, Brucie and Ronnie Whelan. Walters, Clough and Stewart as well as the aging Rushie and Big Jan the following year. So Roy quickly got rid of the aging players and the worst players (with the exception of James and Ruddock) that Souness left him with.

Got us playing back to the way Liverpool should be.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #64: Jan 08, 2012 10:12:18 pm
      Aye I agree in the main, it's unfair to still be blaming Souness. If anything, we played our best football of the Premiership era immediately after Souness left under Evans. There has been some major factors in us not winning the League, Hicks and Gillett, Houllier's heart problems and Evans' unluckiness of coming up against the best ever United sides and not having a decent keeper. If he did, United's best wouldn't of been good enough.

Blaming Souness 20 years on since he took over is scraping the barrel. Especially given how Evans sold some of the worst players Souness left him with within his first full year - Piechnik, Dicks and Hutchison. As well as the aging Stevie Nicol, Brucie and Ronnie Whelan. Walters, Clough and Stewart as well as the aging Rushie and Big Jan the following year. So Roy quickly got rid of the aging players and the worst players (with the exception of James and Ruddock) that Souness left him with.

Got us playing back to the way Liverpool should be.
      Agreed, under Evans we played the most exciting football in the league, it was all about outscoring the opposition, which was probably a little naive. As I said previously what stopped us was the mentality, summed up by Stan Collymore, had so much talent but was a headcase. Where Utd had a few solid pro's that's what we were lacking a little IMO.

Houllier was fantastic up until the heart problems, think everyone knows that, and the treble we won in 2001, was one of the best achievements in my recent memory, that really put us back on the map. It's a shame how he is remembered more for how it ended than how it all began.

And now it's great to see Kenny bringing back the style, as Evans did, to the way Liverpool should be playing.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #65: Jan 09, 2012 01:15:53 am
      Quote from RedWilly

All those coaches came into the job from a low base. Souness as I said, inherited a top side with very high quality players. They had lost their way a bit maybe, but won away games 7-1 and 5-4 weeks before, so they still were in a great position to maintain our domination of the league at the time. I've heard his reasoning for his transfer policy, but I don't accept it.

Evans took over a side struggling to keep up with the mancs, Blackburn, and Newcastle. Houllier took over a side almost halfway down the league, while Rafa took over a side barely able to keep in touch with Newcastle, let alone cope with free-flowing Arsenal, big spending Chelsea, and had just finished 30 points behind the champions. Each of them playing catch up with the opposition at the time. The lack of success and long gaps without silverware in the meantime affected us off the field, as players went elsewhere, and the boards struggled with the demands of running the club in a competent manner.

Kenny is trying now, and he's doing his best. But the problems started with GS, and there is still a long way to go before we're back top of the tree again. 
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #66: Jan 09, 2012 09:18:26 am
      I liked Andy Gray.. he has a real soft spot for Liverpool
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #67: Jan 09, 2012 09:48:02 am
      Most of SKY's commentators get on my tits to be honest with the exception of Alan Smith.

Ray "monotone" Wilkins or Ray "up Man Utds & Chelsea's arse" Wilkins is the worst for me at the moment.

Martin Tyler has always and always will be a tw*t.

John Motson at the BBC drives me F***ing mad as well with his constant changing of the way he pronounces the players and his bullshit enthusiam.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #68: Jan 09, 2012 11:51:19 am
      I don't like David Pleat - he talks some absolute sh*t.  Paul Walsh is not too bad - he will generally call it as he sees it.

Wonder what Big Ron would have made of the last few weeks - guest summariser for the FA cup game?

Quick Reply