Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pundits and Commentators

Read 430504 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Re: Pundits and Commentators.
      Reply #69: Jan 09, 2012 03:07:57 pm
      All those coaches came into the job from a low base. Souness as I said, inherited a top side with very high quality players. They had lost their way a bit maybe, but won away games 7-1 and 5-4 weeks before, so they still were in a great position to maintain our domination of the league at the time. I've heard his reasoning for his transfer policy, but I don't accept it.

Evans took over a side struggling to keep up with the mancs, Blackburn, and Newcastle. Houllier took over a side almost halfway down the league, while Rafa took over a side barely able to keep in touch with Newcastle, let alone cope with free-flowing Arsenal, big spending Chelsea, and had just finished 30 points behind the champions. Each of them playing catch up with the opposition at the time. The lack of success and long gaps without silverware in the meantime affected us off the field, as players went elsewhere, and the boards struggled with the demands of running the club in a competent manner.

Kenny is trying now, and he's doing his best. But the problems started with GS, and there is still a long way to go before we're back top of the tree again. 

There wasn't exactly long waits of silverware, we went two years between 90 and 92. Three years between 92 and 95. Six years between 95 and 01. If we don't win a thing this year, it'll be our longest run since the two League Cups in 95 and 01. It was hardly a stretch of lengthy time without a trophy.

Fair enough Souness fu**ed the club up but it's not his fault 20 years on that we haven't won the League. He set us back in some ways and moved us forward in other ways by handing debuts to the likes of Fowler and Redknapp. Signing Mark Wright, Rob Jones and Stig Inge Bjornebye who were three of our very best defenders during the 90s. He's often credited for F***ing the team up with his signings, fair enough he bought some sh*t. But he brought in some quality players as well.

As for the others, well it was because of their inability to keep up with the sides above them as to why they were told to go. If they weren't falling behind the rest, we wouldn't of needed to change manager so it's a bit obvious (and a bit silly) to rattle off how Rafa inherited a side that couldn't keep up as did Houllier as did Evans. Well yeah because if they could keep up, we wouldn't be changing manager.
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #70: Jan 09, 2012 04:28:27 pm
      Unfortunately Souness thought that he could bring the club (note the CLUB-not the team) into the twentieth Century, as he believed that it was being run like a small lower division club. This was after his experience with Rangers, and he wanted to make big changes to the way the club was run. His most disastrous move was to dismantle the boot room, and change the tradition of all the team meeting at Anfield and travelling to Melwood by coach. He thought it would be better for the team to all meet at Melwood. A terrible decision.

Incidentally, Jim Beglin isn't enamoured with Liverpool because of the way the club treated him after his bad injury.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,824 posts | 4921 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #71: Jan 09, 2012 08:05:33 pm
      Most of SKY's commentators get on my tits to be honest with the exception of Alan Smith.

Ray "monotone" Wilkins or Ray "up Man Utds & Chelsea's arse" Wilkins is the worst for me at the moment.

Martin Tyler has always and always will be a tw*t.

John Motson at the BBC drives me f**king mad as well with his constant changing of the way he pronounces the players and his bullshit enthusiam.
      Have to agree with you here mate except Smith, Wilkins gets on my f***in mammories and is a Chav ringpiece licking Kunt,everything to him is all nice and fuddy duddy, i bet he gets a f***in hard-on when Chavs sing, 'one man went to mo'

Tyler is just a n*b, and hates us, and Motty is fossil in a sheepskin,that f**ker came off the Ark, i wish Greeny would hang up his micro-phone, and become a tv commentator, best on the airwaves is Alan Green,he'd make a funeral sound exciting.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #72: Jan 10, 2012 10:28:16 am
      To be honest, most of LFC games I watch on TV with the sound down or just the crowd noise and the amount of bollocks that gets spoken just winds me up so I prefer to concentrate on the game.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #73: Jan 13, 2012 04:45:56 pm
      Incidentally, Jim Beglin isn't enamoured with Liverpool because of the way the club treated him after his bad injury.

Because we fu**ed him off to Leeds Utd.

And yet still picks up his few pieces of silver by doing voice overs for some of the clubs DVD releases.

He should just get back to talking sh*te about Utd and Chelsea!!
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #74: Feb 06, 2012 09:11:58 am
      Martin Tyler yesterday as the Chavs - Scum match:

Alec Ferguson
      Meireleshhhhh
      David Luishhhh

Seriously what a c**t.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #75: Feb 06, 2012 02:12:33 pm
      How many times in my life did I wish that Andy Gray would get jibbed from Sky? I get my wish then enter Gary Neville.

Be careful what you wish for folks is the lesson in that.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #76: Feb 06, 2012 02:27:35 pm
      How many commentators are anti Suarez?

Lines like....

Suarez goes down easily

and

Suarez fall's over again..
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #77: Feb 06, 2012 02:31:38 pm
      The same ones who say Wellbeck cleverly left his leg in.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #78: Feb 06, 2012 02:31:51 pm
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #79: Feb 06, 2012 03:20:13 pm

Dont think theres a single person associated with our club who has wanted LFC to win as badly as Souness.

It was his incredible drive that actually made him an unsuccessful coach. But the way come people pontificate on him you would imagine they had come anywhere close to achieving a fraction of the things that Souness has for this club.

Kenny (who incidentally allowed the team to get too old and stale towards the end of his first reign) says that Souness is one of the best servants this club has ever had and thats good enough for me.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #80: Feb 06, 2012 03:20:36 pm
      Alan Hansen appears to get on the tits of a few people. Ah well!!!
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #81: Feb 06, 2012 04:48:37 pm
      On sky sports news the other day, It was showing our goals and when Carroll scored the guy said "still 5 million pound a goal". Not sure who he is but hes a pr**k
      LFCexiled
      Reply #82: Feb 06, 2012 05:04:44 pm

That's one hell of a stutter you've got there fella.

;D
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #83: Feb 06, 2012 05:08:29 pm
       :f_tongueincheek:
      That's one hell of a stutter you've got there fella.

;D

Hehe from the mobile. Strange one it is. Even managed to get me banned for a couple of weeks.

:f_tongueincheek:
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #84: Feb 08, 2012 04:29:46 pm
      What will they say when we win the league?
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #85: Feb 08, 2012 05:23:30 pm
      What will they say when we win the league?

Probably say it is about time and did the campaign off as being lucky.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #86: Feb 08, 2012 05:59:15 pm
      John Champion complet arsehole
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #87: Feb 08, 2012 06:22:37 pm
      Andy gray and Martin Tyler are complete tw*ts in the commentary world
      But for me the biggest tw*t is Clive tyldsley,and to think the pr**k started out commentating on  Liverpool games for radio city in the mid 80's before he moved on to the Liverpool loving channel that is itv.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #88: Feb 09, 2012 04:22:45 am
      Got us playing back to the way Liverpool should be.

Evans just wasn't strong enough to deal with the ego's, why do you think Ged was brought in.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #89: Feb 09, 2012 08:45:24 am
      Evans just wasn't strong enough to deal with the ego's, why do you think Ged was brought in.

That was his major downfall, the game was going into the money period under Evans, remember those stories back then HR about the likes of Stan Collymore refusing to play for the ressies, knew he would get fined the following morning so just went in and gave his fine and said i wont be playing tonight.

The game started going out of control at that point, the balance of power was starting to shift.

Good guy Roy, and did positive things for the club after Souness.
      tree86
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #90: Feb 09, 2012 09:59:42 am
      And what about Waddle?? The way he goes on anyone would have thought he was the worlds best player. He does my head in, he will notice something that happens in the game then just harps on about it for 90 mins.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #91: Feb 09, 2012 11:22:40 am
      And what about Waddle?? The way he goes on anyone would have thought he was the worlds best player. He does my head in, he will notice something that happens in the game then just harps on about it for 90 mins.

Always hated Chris Waddle. For my 16th birthday my parents arranged for a trip to White Hart Lane to see the reds, My mum got threatened by some cockney nutter because she kept slating Chris Waddle. The funniest thing was that he was on crutches ! I still reckon me old ma would have had him, no doubt my old man would have stood and watched. Anyway we won 2-1.

Craig Burley is quite entertaining as he takes the piss sometimes and doesn't seem to care about upsetting people.

Quick Reply