Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pundits and Commentators

Read 429802 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #1426: May 31, 2019 07:26:26 pm
      Can't moan to much as there are several ex reds on the punditry circuit.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1427: Jun 12, 2019 11:26:52 pm
      One of the joys growing up following Liverpool was listening to most of their matches on the radio, specifically 5 Live. I'll never forget Alan Green's eruption when Gerrard smashed in that third against Olympiakos!

So imagine the commentary on that night against Barcelona?! Listening to it makes me wish I was following it on 5 Live rather than watching it on tv! Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer should be applauded for rising to the most momentous night Anfield has seen. The crowd get its equal share of the commentary duties unlike the tv coverage where the stadium noise is criminally turned down and drowned out by the endless drones of your Tylers and Fletchers. Not here. Listen and enjoy. Who needs tv when the radio commentary is this good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eH2QnzYdV0&app=desktop

'..the greatest European comeback ever! The greatest European comeback ever!!'
      « Last Edit: Jun 12, 2019 11:33:32 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1428: Jun 13, 2019 12:35:48 am
      One of the joys growing up following Liverpool was listening to most of their matches on the radio, specifically 5 Live. I'll never forget Alan Green's eruption when Gerrard smashed in that third against Olympiakos!

So imagine the commentary on that night against Barcelona?! Listening to it makes me wish I was following it on 5 Live rather than watching it on tv! Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer should be applauded for rising to the most momentous night Anfield has seen. The crowd get its equal share of the commentary duties unlike the tv coverage where the stadium noise is criminally turned down and drowned out by the endless drones of your Tylers and Fletchers. Not here. Listen and enjoy. Who needs tv when the radio commentary is this good?

Listened to this a few times with a lump in the throat and a little tear in my eye.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1429: Jun 13, 2019 07:51:27 am

I had it on the radio mate, the commentary was far better and more exciting than anything I can remember. Absolutely brilliant!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #1430: Jun 13, 2019 12:07:36 pm
      I usually listen to the commentary on radio Merseyside but seeing as they no longer commentate on European matches they now hand it over to five live & I have to agree with you lads it was a fantastic commentary & when the 4th went in I totally lost it.
      I must admit listening to the match on the radio is much better I think,it also takes me back to the late 70’s as a kid when we would all crowd around the radio as it was your only option  you had of following the match  if you didn’t go the game.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1431: Jun 13, 2019 12:56:25 pm
      I usually listen to the commentary on radio Merseyside but seeing as they no longer commentate on European matches they now hand it over to five live & I have to agree with you lads it was a fantastic commentary & when the 4th went in I totally lost it.
      I must admit listening to the match on the radio is much better I think,it also takes me back to the late 70’s as a kid when we would all crowd around the radio as it was your only option  you had of following the match  if you didn’t go the game.

There is definitely something more exciting about it, building a picture in your head of what is taking place and the fact you can’t see what runs players are making etc means you’re imagination takes over.

Got to say, I thought Shearer was brilliant on there and I’m not his biggest fan as a pundit.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1432: Jun 13, 2019 08:00:05 pm
      LFC TV do match day commentary and its really great and the crowd noise is real not muted at all.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1433: Aug 13, 2019 05:44:03 pm
      just spent a very enjoyable time sharing a pint with Elton Welsby a commentator from the 70's and 80's. He told a story of the St.Etienne game with Phil Thompson falling out of his Hospital bed when Davie Fairclough scored because of his Radio Commentary on Radio City . Then he had to go and spoil it all by saying he was an Everton Fan.
      ( still on watch for outing gobshites)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1434: Aug 27, 2019 05:50:24 am
      So sick of Jason Mcateer. Reckon he's a w**ker.  Just watching the after match show on LFCTV and he starts by saying, so, so, so disappointed in Unai Emery and Arsenal....goes on about how they should have set up against us...nothing about how brilliant we were. Does my F***ing head in.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1435: Aug 27, 2019 08:27:46 am
      So sick of Jason Mcateer. Reckon he's a w**ker.  Just watching the after match show on LFCTV and he starts by saying, so, so, so disappointed in Unai Emery and Arsenal....goes on about how they should have set up against us...nothing about how brilliant we were. Does my f**king head in.

I remember reading about him chatting a waitress up while away with Ireland atv USA 94. After asking her where she was from and her replying Pennsylvania he used his hands to expose his fangs while doing his best Dracula impression.

Not the sharpest tool in the box.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #1436: Aug 27, 2019 08:49:24 am
      I remember reading about him chatting a waitress up while away with Ireland atv USA 94. After asking her where she was from and her replying Pennsylvania he used his hands to expose his fangs while doing his best Dracula impression.

Not the sharpest tool in the box.

Hahaha.

Quite a few of them. Another one I like is apparently when he was in a Dublin nightclub and seen Jimmy White so he decided to shout out a catchphrase that Jimmy would recognise straight away. He shouted 'one hundred and eighty'
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1437: Aug 27, 2019 11:59:10 am
      Alex Scott cockney bi*ch is still saying Birningham just like Alfie off Peaky Blinders.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1438: Aug 27, 2019 06:47:43 pm
      So sick of Jason Mcateer. Reckon he's a w**ker.  Just watching the after match show on LFCTV and he starts by saying, so, so, so disappointed in Unai Emery and Arsenal....goes on about how they should have set up against us...nothing about how brilliant we were. Does my F***ing head in.

There was a reason we called him Jase the Ace and it was F**k all to do woth his footballing ability.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1439: Aug 27, 2019 06:57:41 pm
      So sick of Jason Mcateer. Reckon he's a w**ker.  Just watching the after match show on LFCTV and he starts by saying, so, so, so disappointed in Unai Emery and Arsenal....goes on about how they should have set up against us...nothing about how brilliant we were. Does my f**king head in.

I struggle with him on comms as well. Much rather have Steven wright but I can also do without him and Steven hunter talking over a game for several minutes and laughing about something funny apparently to them.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1440: Aug 27, 2019 07:01:13 pm
      Alex Scott cockney bi*ch is still saying Birningham just like Alfie off Peaky Blinders.

I really like Alex Scott better than most of the male pundits
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1441: Aug 27, 2019 09:21:00 pm
      Should just give the mic to Sir Kenny...at least he has the decency to be unintelligible..
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #1442: Aug 28, 2019 03:31:46 pm
      Dean Saunders has been given 10 weeks in jail for not taking a breath test after being pulled over. Dickish thing to do but that seems a tad Jody Marsh  :f_doh:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1443: Aug 28, 2019 03:46:01 pm
      The worst of all is Tyler. How that miserable F***ing fossil is still getting a gig is unreal.

He can't even be arsed putting effort into his sh*te: 'and it's live' trademark anymore and it was sh*t anyway.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #1444: Aug 28, 2019 03:48:17 pm
      The worst of all is Tyler. How that miserable f**king fossil is still getting a gig is unreal.

He can't even be arsed putting effort into his sh*te: 'and it's live' trademark anymore and it was sh*t anyway.

Ha, and his occasional shriek of Rashford when he very occasionally shoots on target
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1445: Aug 31, 2019 01:27:23 pm
      Just watched the disgraceful BBC football focus 20 minuets in and only just mentioned VVD winning his award and the biased bas**rds didn't even show him just Messi and Ronald, if it was any other Premier team they would have been first item on utter bas**rds shame on you
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1446: Aug 31, 2019 02:14:29 pm
      The worst of all is Tyler. How that miserable f**king fossil is still getting a gig is unreal.

Agreed and it's a real shame because there are many great commentators out there but none are given the headline gigs on either BBC, Sky or BT Sport.

Best commentators for me are Ian Dennis and John Murray on 5 Live. Big fan of Alan Green as well largely for nostalgia reasons. On TV, Peter Drury and Steve Wright rarely go wrong.

But instead of them we get the lifeless drone of Tyler and the painful sounding howls of Guy Mowbray who sounds like he's shouting into the wind whenever a goal is scored.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1447: Aug 31, 2019 02:36:51 pm
      Been out cycling and enjoying a day that brightened up as it went and yet still a dark cloud hovered. That cloud being the commentator on Talksport, whom I'll be surprised if any one could hear clearly as he spent most of the time chugging on Man United's collective cock.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1448: Aug 31, 2019 05:13:25 pm
      Been out cycling and enjoying a day that brightened up as it went and yet still a dark cloud hovered. That cloud being the commentator on Talksport, whom I'll be surprised if any one could hear clearly as he spent most of the time chugging on Man United's collective cock.

It's incredible just how much arse licking and attention of this bang average football club is given. BBC Sport aka BBC Salford rarely go a day when a blog piece or main headline (that doesn't warrant being reported on anyway) isn't related to Man Utd.

Expect the BBC to plunder the hype train on Daniel James. You can bet they'll say he's the next Cristiano Ronaldo.

Quick Reply