Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pundits and Commentators

Read 430385 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #1564: Oct 29, 2019 08:53:50 am
      Moving to the print side, today I finally bid farewell to The Echo. When I fell in love with the club 21 years ago, I began a near-daily habit of checking this newspaper's web site. Even as so many other sources of information (including much more access to every live match) became available, I made visiting The Echo a part of my routine.

Increasingly I have been dissatisfied with the content on the site. So many of the articles seemed repetitive and so often the headline became the definition of clickbait as they misled the reader (me at least) into thinking one thing would be covered in the story, when it was not the case.

While I was already unhappy with the publication, what pushed me over the edge to remove it from my tabs, was the insistence on the site managers to load it down with so much HTML hijinx, including pop up ads and videos, with the moving target when trying to hit "Cancel" in the 3 second or so before some subpar video was about to start playing.

I worked in journalism for 15 years so I hate to turn my back on an old newspaper site, but like a number of things, it's not what it used to be and The Athletic has given me some new hope for sports journalism. The Echo instead was a daily exercise in frustration of one type or another so, goodbye old friend. It's not me, it's you.

You're not alone. The Echo has gone drastically downhill.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1565: Oct 29, 2019 08:57:56 am
      Moving to the print side, today I finally bid farewell to The Echo. When I fell in love with the club 21 years ago, I began a near-daily habit of checking this newspaper's web site. Even as so many other sources of information (including much more access to every live match) became available, I made visiting The Echo a part of my routine.

Increasingly I have been dissatisfied with the content on the site. So many of the articles seemed repetitive and so often the headline became the definition of clickbait as they misled the reader (me at least) into thinking one thing would be covered in the story, when it was not the case.

While I was already unhappy with the publication, what pushed me over the edge to remove it from my tabs, was the insistence on the site managers to load it down with so much HTML hijinx, including pop up ads and videos, with the moving target when trying to hit "Cancel" in the 3 second or so before some subpar video was about to start playing.

I worked in journalism for 15 years so I hate to turn my back on an old newspaper site, but like a number of things, it's not what it used to be and The Athletic has given me some new hope for sports journalism. The Echo instead was a daily exercise in frustration of one type or another so, goodbye old friend. It's not me, it's you.

The Echo is terrible in so many ways. For a start the website just isn't worth the hassle. I believe it's owned by Trinity Mirror who also own the likes of the Daily Mirror and many other local newspapers like the M.E.N. I've noticed that the websites for all of these newspapers are basically the same template (slow, laggy, full of clickbait and ads). I think if The Echo penned an article about next week's winning lottery numbers I still wouldn't bother reading due to the stress of opening one of their webpages.

Football aside the quality of articles have rapidly declined over the last few years too. It doesn't feel like a "local" paper any more. Most articles about the city are sensationalist & negative & the website is littered with irrelevant clickbait articles about TV shows like The Chase or Good Morning Britain, as well as a number of non-local stories. Just a very poor publication all round
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #1566: Nov 10, 2019 04:13:16 pm
      Kompany talking a lot of sh*te in the studio just now.

Mourinho and Keane the voices of reason.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1567: Nov 10, 2019 04:17:54 pm
      Kompany talking a lot of sh*te in the studio just now.

Mourinho and Keane the voices of reason.

Kompany always struck me as an absolute bellend. Or maybe he believes what he’s saying which would explain why he’s done so sh*te in his management career to date.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #1568: Nov 10, 2019 05:29:38 pm
      Kompany always struck me as an absolute bellend. Or maybe he believes what he’s saying which would explain why he’s done so sh*te in his management career to date.

Now he's crying about the handball. Trying to argue the Silva's arm was in a natural position but Trent's wasn't even though both arms pretty much in the same place.
      rossyred

• 9,095 posts | 1635 
      Reply #1569: Nov 10, 2019 06:41:59 pm
      Ratty and Carragher saying Bravo at fault for Fab goal right in corner
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #1570: Nov 10, 2019 06:43:24 pm
      Ratty and Carragher saying Bravo at fault for Fab goal right in corner
      Said in the match thread I doubt even edderson would have saved that.
      rossyred

• 9,095 posts | 1635 
      Reply #1571: Nov 10, 2019 07:08:56 pm
      Said in the match thread I doubt even edderson would have saved that.

Alisson or Ederson wouldnt have
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1572: Nov 10, 2019 08:01:17 pm
      Now he's crying about the handball. Trying to argue the Silva's arm was in a natural position but Trent's wasn't even though both arms pretty much in the same place.

He’s an absolute clown. Anyone who comes on who is blatantly partisan should have to pay their fee back to the broadcaster.

All focus on Trents apprentice handball, but the fact is that it hit Silva’s hand first so it should have been our free kick if you go down that road.

Enjoy the score Vincent you tw*t
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1573: Nov 11, 2019 02:16:37 am
      Not quite sure where to ask this. In the post-match show on American television, they were interviewing a couple of players (Bernardo for them and Robbo for us) and in the background, on the pitch, you could see someone from Liverpool going through an individual training session. They had a coach working with them, but I couldn't tell who it was. Did anyone else see it and do you know who it was? Just curious  I guess but I thought it an odd time for such a session to be taking place.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1574: Nov 11, 2019 01:25:00 pm

Kompany is a great fella & does all sorts for charity in Manchester, don't think I've heard anybody say a bad word about him. He also got a degree while he was playing for City so he's probably pretty clued up too. Imagine he would have been a bit bias in his punditry last night but he was captaining that side no more than a few months ago so I wouldn't really expect anything different
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1575: Nov 11, 2019 02:23:05 pm
      Kompany is a great fella & does all sorts for charity in Manchester, don't think I've heard anybody say a bad word about him. He also got a degree while he was playing for City so he's probably pretty clued up too. Imagine he would have been a bit bias in his punditry last night but he was captaining that side no more than a few months ago so I wouldn't really expect anything different
      - Part of this question is why Sky and others choose somebody so obvious partial to give "analysis." I see it all the time in other sports as well, where the comms are loathe to be critical in any way about a player's performance because they're mates.

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1576: Nov 11, 2019 02:50:07 pm
      - Part of this question is why Sky and others choose somebody so obvious partial to give "analysis." I see it all the time in other sports as well, where the comms are loathe to be critical in any way about a player's performance because they're mates.

Similar with Neville, Rio, Giggs, Keane etc. Solskjaer's been given a fairly easy ride by the media because he has mates in so many big roles.

Granted there's stuff going on behind the scenes at United but the fella is doing an absolutely woeful job & nobody really points it out
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1577: Nov 11, 2019 04:13:32 pm

Doesn’t change the fact he talks absolute mince every time he opens his mouth. Last night wasn’t the first time
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1578: Nov 11, 2019 04:17:39 pm
      Again search out Peter Drurys take on the match.

So much better than Carra and Neville looking to find fault with the goalkeeper for 3 pretty great goals.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1579: Nov 11, 2019 04:24:21 pm

It's not really about any kinda critical analysis with most of em.More about the staying relevant on social media,all about the "banter " and getting clicks etc.It's a shitty aspect of football.lowest common denominator insults for the win.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1580: Nov 11, 2019 04:25:15 pm
      Similar with Neville, Rio, Giggs, Keane etc. Solskjaer's been given a fairly easy ride by the media because he has mates in so many big roles.

Granted there's stuff going on behind the scenes at United but the fella is doing an absolutely woeful job & nobody really points it out

Wait, WHO is doing an absolutely wonderful job?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1581: Nov 11, 2019 04:27:54 pm

It's not really about any kinda critical analysis with most of em.More about the staying relevant on social media,all about the "banter " and getting clicks etc.It's a shitty aspect of football.lowest common denominator insults for the win.

I know. On the American football studio shows, it is downright cringeworthy how scripted the comments are, followed by scripted fake laughing and camaraderie. I would pay good money for one honest fellow to suddenly turn toward the rest of the pundits and say "You are all a bunch of idiots. Do us all a favor and shut it."  :)

Just once.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #1582: Nov 11, 2019 06:23:18 pm
      Doesn’t change the fact he talks absolute mince every time he opens his mouth. Last night wasn’t the first time

Yep.

It's not even the bias as I don't mind that at times it was the way he winged about it like a big baby.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1583: Nov 11, 2019 07:35:33 pm
      Again search out Peter Drurys take on the match.

So much better than Carra and Neville looking to find fault with the goalkeeper for 3 pretty great goals.

Drury is a F***ing poet. Spine tingling at times with how he describes the game at times definetly has a way with words.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1584: Nov 11, 2019 07:46:56 pm
      Don’t mind Drury, but find sometimes it is a bit ‘forced’. But agree, better than the majority and especially better than what Sky have on offer.

Got to say Carragher is going down in my estimation (in terms of his punditry). He’s well on board with the Sky hype train now, writing articles about how us and City ‘can’t stand each other’ and likening it to the days of Rafa and Maureen.

Those days were far far far more intense and that rivalry with Chelsea, although relatively short lived, was one where both sides genuinely couldn’t stand each other. City doesn’t even come close to that, let alone the likes of Utd and Everton.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1585: Nov 11, 2019 07:58:45 pm
      Drury is a f**king poet. Spine tingling at times with how he describes the game at times definetly has a way with words.

Cant find a file of it that lets me listen here in the U.S. Any way it can be posted on here without it being blocked?
      I heard the highlights with Tyler commenting - predictably understated.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1586: Nov 11, 2019 09:49:25 pm

Quick Reply