Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pundits and Commentators

Read 429914 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #2185: Oct 19, 2020 12:56:11 pm
      Same for me,and Carra too it seems

I think malice, intent, premeditation is getting mixed up with lack of ability and reading of the game

I do mate, also away in europe for us I recall stories of him admitting intent

I love the bloke but yeah hes not on a strong footing there

Pickford deserved a red, 100%.. but I don't think he attempted to hurt Virgil

I'm not actually sure the same could be said for Richarlison, but because thiago seems to have got away with a serious one and a red was given that seems to be being forgotten

That was an awful straight legged, studs showing, over the top of the ball sh*t house

The difference is before he launched he knew the potential outcome.. I'm not sure Pickford did, he just got it awfully wrong and that is more of his lack of ability for me than intent

Yep agree not sure he is the brightest button and has had previous going in like this think against Delle Ali if memory serves
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2186: Oct 19, 2020 01:05:30 pm
      Yep agree not sure he is the brightest button and has had previous going in like this think against Delle Ali if memory serves

There is an issue with Keepers.They get protection from the ref and players who are clean thru but if it looks like the keeper will win then the player jumps over and doesn't put the boot in to prevent the keeper getting injured.

But the keeper can lunge at a player with his whole body and clatter into a player and they get the benefit of the doubt.They are in effect a 'protected species'.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2187: Oct 19, 2020 01:10:21 pm
      Hes not really backing him hes saying it wasnt deliberate

For what its worth I dont think it was either

It was reckless, he deserved to go, Carra said that too but it wasnt premeditated

I genuinely think some of you shouldn't listen to the post match stuff

Devastating for us, genuinely genuinely gutted but it wasnt premeditated

These things happen in football, Souey and Carra both should know this

Actually Richarlisons challenge in football terms was far worse

A scissor kick challenge is beyond reckless it endangers the safety of a fellow professional, so premeditated or not makes no difference

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2188: Oct 19, 2020 02:24:28 pm
      F**k Carragher.

Great servant to us when he was a player but heā€™s become a proper tw*t since joining Sky.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #2189: Oct 19, 2020 02:26:57 pm
      F**k Carragher.

Great servant to us when he was a player but heā€™s become a proper tw*t since joining Sky.
      Heā€™s trying way too hard to show heā€™s not biased towards Liverpool, itā€™s become embarrassing
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2190: Oct 19, 2020 02:31:30 pm
      Not going to believe that Pickford didn't see a chance to lay out Virgil and he took it. Did he explicitly think "I'm going to try and snap his ACL". No probably not. Did he explicitly think "I'm going to go in hard and make Virgil pay for this"...yes and you won't convince me otherwise. He's a reckless player likely because he's not a good keeper to begin with and he isn't ever in the right position.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2191: Oct 19, 2020 03:28:11 pm
      Not going to believe that Pickford didn't see a chance to lay out Virgil and he took it. Did he explicitly think "I'm going to try and snap his ACL". No probably not. Did he explicitly think "I'm going to go in hard and make Virgil pay for this"...yes and you won't convince me otherwise. He's a reckless player likely because he's not a good keeper to begin with and he isn't ever in the right position.

So in the time of the ball being hooked over to Virgil and it landing is around a second, his reaction time is a shade of that.. no chance he thought it through, he wouldn't have time, he reacted immediately and it was his poor technique and reading led to what happened

So, having played the game you wont convince me in this specific incident he had time to think he was going to ho in hard on the player and make him pay l, no chance

He sh*te, his reading his sh*te, his technique is sh*te, his delivery of his attempted block is sh*te but he wouldnt have any time in this situation to have thought this through, even quickly because most of the play isnt in his line of vision
      He was reactive, no proactive in this

The difference with Richarlison is it all happens in front of him and he can see and anticipate what will happen because it's happened a thousand times like this in a game, he would know he is highly unlikely to get the ball there because it was 40/60 against him

Pickford in a crowded area with the ball being played out of his line of vision couldnt compute really what the odds were quickly enough which is what makes the technical aspect of it so poor
      Its 100% a penalty (the offside saves him) but it's also 100% a red (the offside shouldn't have saved him there)

A scissor kick challenge is beyond reckless it endangers the safety of a fellow professional, so premeditated or not makes no difference

The scissor kick challenge though is kind of what keepers do to make themselves big, look back on how Schmeichel used to come out in a one on one, exactly the same, but with the play and therefore the control of the action in front of him

Pickford wasnt in control because technically in that situation he couldnt be, so out of control of his body in the tackle, penalty and red card.. but not an attempt to do Virgil.. just F***ing awful technique
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2192: Oct 19, 2020 03:32:59 pm

If Prickford was in midfield you half expect that kind of challenge, but the c**t made no attempt for the ball & took the big man knee high.. surprised Virgil never snapped his thigh bone too...
      « Last Edit: Oct 19, 2020 03:44:54 pm by Shabs »
      Kopite78
      Reply #2193: Oct 19, 2020 03:36:17 pm
      If Prickford was in midfield you half expect that kind of challenge, but the c**t made to attempt for the ball & took the big man knew high.. surprised Virgil never snapped his thigh bone too...

But that's the point, you wouldnt get this type of tackle in midfield

Let's not get it wrong here, I'm not defending him whatsoever, he  deserved to go but what I'm saying is there was no chance this was deliberate on his behalf

Hes just sh*te
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2194: Oct 19, 2020 03:47:54 pm
      But that's the point, you wouldnt get this type of tackle in midfield

Let's not get it wrong here, I'm not defending him whatsoever, he  deserved to go but what I'm saying is there was no chance this was deliberate on his behalf

Hes just sh*te

Iā€™m sure Kuyt went in thigh high against Everton or was that Gerrard..?

Iā€™ve seen the vid of the tackle a few times now & Prickford goes for the ball initially but once he realised he wonā€™t make it he decided to take Virgil out deliberately in my opinion..
      Kopite78
      Reply #2195: Oct 19, 2020 04:00:06 pm

Iā€™ve seen the vid of the tackle a few times now & Prickford goes for the ball initially but once he realised he wonā€™t make it he decided to take Virgil out deliberately in my opinion..

Both against the blues, Kuyt was on Neville
      Gerrard numerous 😀

The second point even of that's the case doesnt make it premeditated, or an intention to hurt

At best it makes it a desperate attempt to stop a goal

We arent arguing if he fouled him, or that he was in the wrong or if it was a foul.
      Its if there was intent to hurt and I dont think there was. There literally wouldnt be enough time to think of doing that, and even more so as a secondary movement
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #2196: Oct 19, 2020 04:35:33 pm
      Hes not really backing him hes saying it wasnt deliberate

For what its worth I dont think it was either

It was reckless, he deserved to go, Carra said that too but it wasnt premeditated

I genuinely think some of you shouldn't listen to the post match stuff

Devastating for us, genuinely genuinely gutted but it wasnt premeditated

These things happen in football, Souey and Carra both should know this

Actually Richarlisons challenge in football terms was far worse

Surely you canā€™t think that mate?

It was 100% deliberate and done with intent. Iā€™m not saying that because of the outcome or because I hate everton, Iā€™m saying it as somebody whoā€™s played football his entire life. 

You do not leave the ground like that unless you want to seriously clatter your opponent. Not having anybody using the excuse of heā€™s a keeper and his job is to ā€˜make himself bigā€™. He leapt three foot in the air and went in with his feet and scissored him.

He might not have wanted to cause a bloody ACL injury but Iā€™ve got no doubt what so ever he meant to clatter Virgil.

Disgaree richarlisons was worse too. Both reckless but atleast richarlisons was an old fashioned 50-50 with the ball to be won. Pickfords was border-line assault.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #2197: Oct 19, 2020 04:41:12 pm

It was 100% deliberate and done with intent. Iā€™m not saying that because of the outcome or because I hate everton, Iā€™m saying it as somebody whoā€™s played football his entire life. 

You do not leave the ground like that unless you want to seriously clatter your opponent. Not having anybody using the excuse of heā€™s a keeper and his job is to ā€˜make himself bigā€™. He leapt three foot in the air and went in with his feet and scissored him.

He might not have wanted to cause a bloody ACL injury but Iā€™ve got no doubt what so ever he meant to clatter Virgil.

Disgaree richarlisons was worse too. Both reckless but atleast richarlisons was an old fashioned 50-50 with the ball to be won. Pickfords was border-line assault.

That is my take as well. If this was hockey the next game would be a bloodbath.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2198: Oct 19, 2020 04:41:13 pm
      Carra in his desperation to come across as a unbiased commentator has gone down in my estimation in his backing of Pickford.
      Almost screaming at Souness yesterday on Sky.....

Easy to do that through a screen, would not have done it in person.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2199: Oct 19, 2020 04:43:23 pm

I do yeah

And I'm.ssying it also as someone who played for 25 years

F***ing awful technique but not intentional

Agree with Carra on it. He used his tackle on Nani as a tackle with intent to hurt and he didnt think Pickfords was either and I agree with him

Richarlison far worse in my opinion (as someone who played cm for 25 years too) as the whole thing was in front of him

Ultimately the only person who knows is pickford so I guess we will all just have to agree to disagree on it

And again for the record I'm not defending  him whatsoever

He deserved  a red
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2200: Oct 19, 2020 04:44:09 pm

We definitely don't have a leg to stand on after Kuyt's challenge at the tip!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2201: Oct 19, 2020 04:46:21 pm

That was Kuyt
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2202: Oct 19, 2020 08:34:35 pm
      I do yeah

And I'm.ssying it also as someone who played for 25 years

F***ing awful technique but not intentional

Agree with Carra on it. He used his tackle on Nani as a tackle with intent to hurt and he didnt think Pickfords was either and I agree with him

Richarlison far worse in my opinion (as someone who played cm for 25 years too) as the whole thing was in front of him

Ultimately the only person who knows is pickford so I guess we will all just have to agree to disagree on it

And again for the record I'm not defending  him whatsoever

He deserved  a red

It was absolutely intentional based on his positioning at the time, his tackling style, height of tackle, and Virgins position at the time he was on the byline not charging at him with the ball head on. I canā€™t be arsed looking for the images but remember it clearly, have a look at his follow through after saving the ball from a Mandzukic shot in the semi of the WC.

Followed by a get up ā€œyou Fukn tw*tā€ heā€™s an utter little c**t.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2203: Oct 19, 2020 08:35:36 pm
      It was absolutely intentional based on his positioning at the time, his tackling style, height of tackle, and Virgins position at the time he was on the byline not charging at him with the ball head on. I canā€™t be arsed looking for the images but remember it clearly, have a look at his follow through after saving the ball from a Mandzukic shot in the semi of the WC.

Followed by a get up ā€œyou Fukn tw*tā€ heā€™s an utter little c**t.

I'm not saying he isnt at all
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2204: Oct 20, 2020 09:24:37 am
      I think he probably meant to clatter into Virgil but I don't think he wanted to injure Virgil, in any case it should have been a straight Red.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2205: Oct 21, 2020 07:41:31 pm
      Michael Owen talking out of his arse there. Trent will miss Van Dijk the most covering.

Virgil doesn't even play that side.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2206: Oct 22, 2020 05:20:54 am
      Michael Owen talking out of his arse there. Trent will miss Van Dijk the most covering.

Virgil doesn't even play that side.

He was just trying to impress his mate sat to his right   :f_whistle:

YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2207: Oct 23, 2020 02:36:05 am
      Martin Tyler within first 20 mins of our match

"Ajax will dominate the ball"    :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Since when has a Team dominated us with the ball?

Liverpool look uncharacteristically shaky at the back" ...no sh*t Sherlock, we just lost our Best CB and one of, if not, the best CB in the World!

F***ing Moron!

Quick Reply