Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pundits and Commentators

Read 430209 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #2277: Nov 23, 2020 08:03:22 pm
      The state of his trousers riding up almost to his knees & no f**king socks..😂

I hear he bought it from Asda's Back to School range... George branding of course. Got his Thomas The Tank Engine lunchbox under that Sky Sports desk as well.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2278: Nov 23, 2020 08:36:35 pm

Youv'e always liked the bad guys of sport...  :f_whistle:
      Kopite78
      Reply #2279: Nov 23, 2020 08:52:31 pm
      Youv'e always liked the bad guys of sport...  :f_whistle:

I'm just loyal to our legends
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2280: Nov 23, 2020 08:59:00 pm

Thats one word for it.  ;D But yeah on the pitch he was
      Kopite78
      Reply #2281: Nov 23, 2020 09:02:11 pm
      Thats one word for it.  ;D But yeah on the pitch he was

Dont think you're in a position to talk about our legends
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2282: Nov 23, 2020 09:06:37 pm
      Dont think you're in a position to talk about our legends

Ive not read that one in the T&C  :f_whistle:
      Kopite78
      Reply #2283: Nov 23, 2020 09:08:32 pm

I wouldnt concern myself with giving opinions to you about yours
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2284: Nov 23, 2020 09:11:26 pm
      I wouldnt concern myself with giving opinions to you about yours

Never a problem with me
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #2285: Nov 24, 2020 10:26:52 pm

Well I've said Carra (along with McManaman of course)...

Go on Keith - worst Manc turned pundit for you??
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2286: Nov 24, 2020 10:33:18 pm
      Well I've said Carra (along with McManaman of course)...

Go on Keith - worst Manc turned pundit for you??

Not even close mate. Evra, he's full full of  :spam: Terribly biased too  :f_doh:

Originally I had Savage as worse pundit followed by McManaman. Now it's Evra - Savage - McManaman.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2287: Nov 25, 2020 01:30:52 pm
      Not even close mate. Evra, he's full full of  :spam: Terribly biased too  :f_doh:

Originally I had Savage as worse pundit followed by McManaman. Now it's Evra - Savage - McManaman.

Evra is bloody awful, Henry is fairly sh*t as well. Savage is just bloody annoying, same as Sutton. Carragher normally has some good insights, but he is trying way to hard not to be biased for Liverpool, same as Mark Lawrenson, who always has Man Utd too high in his prediction table and us too low.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2288: Nov 25, 2020 03:48:07 pm
      Evra is bloody awful, Henry is fairly sh*t as well. Savage is just bloody annoying, same as Sutton. Carragher normally has some good insights, but he is trying way to hard not to be biased for Liverpool, same as Mark Lawrenson, who always has Man Utd too high in his prediction table and us too low.

Carragher problem is that he's on his last warning because of the spitting episode. This is why his comments have become yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #2289: Nov 25, 2020 08:57:54 pm
      Carragher problem is that he's on his last warning because of the spitting episode. This is why his comments have become yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.

I can never get my head around that. Clarkson can get dropped from the BBC for punching a producer. Carragher, who let's face it is far less profitable to Sky than what Clarkson was to the BBC, stays for spitting at a member of the public. Sure, he was provoked by a dick head but his response didn't suggest he was the bigger man.

To be honest with you, I think I'd rather take a full one in the chin than getting a face full of gob on me. Disgusting it was.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2290: Nov 25, 2020 09:04:25 pm
      I can never get my head around that. Clarkson can get dropped from the BBC for punching a producer. Carragher, who let's face it is far less profitable to Sky than what Clarkson was to the BBC, stays for spitting at a member of the public.

To be honest with you, I think I'd rather take a full one in the chin than getting a face full of gob on me. Disgusting it was.

They fu**ed up letting Clarkson go as he's very good at what he does.
       Yeah me too, even more so with Covid now.  :D
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2291: Nov 25, 2020 10:24:38 pm
      Someone I've come to dislike, amplified very much so by that spitting incident... Jamie Carragher. Its really sad as I adored him as a player but everytime he opens his mouth I recoil.

I think of his arrogance and bluster on TV and think 'did such attitudes prevent us from winning more when he was one of the "leaders" in the dressing room?'

It's a terrible thing to think but that's how much I distaste his 'punditry' career.

Compare him to Hansen when he was doing TV and it's... well it's incomparable. Hansen always came across as witty, likeable and respectful. You knew by his persona on TV that Hansen would have been a diamond to have in the dressing room.

Looking back at the era of Gerrard and Carragher, I wonder now what sort of atmosphere was created at the club. Not laying the blame with them but I think we have a mich more inclusive culture these days.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2292: Nov 26, 2020 09:11:55 am
      Looking back at the era of Gerrard and Carragher, I wonder now what sort of atmosphere was created at the club. Not laying the blame with them but I think we have a mich more inclusive culture these days.

100% agree, I can imagine Carragher being a complete c**t as a player, bullying the dressing room. Stevie G I think was probably fine, but I've always seen him as being a bit aloof, not in a nasty way, but I just can't imagine him being that involved off the pitch, despite being captain.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2293: Nov 26, 2020 02:33:57 pm

Sorry mate but I think you are taking your new hatred of Carra a tad too far, you cannot compère the two era’s , in the Carra/Gerard era we had a few managers trying to implement their own philosophy in a dressing room no where near as tight as what we have now, also the quality is much better and as a club everyone from the chief exec to the wonderful dinner ladies & cleaners are all singing from the same song sheet, we certainly didn’t have that then and perhaps that’s the real reason we were not as successful, the spitting incident was disgusting as you say but ffs mate you don’t half hold a grudge,

Everyone makes mistakes and Carra made a monumental one that day, yes he should have known better and yes he should have held back his frustration/ anger but let it go fella, it’s gone and I’m sure Carra deeply regrets his actions, I agree that at times Carra comes across as being bigger than his station allows, but that is just him big headed & arrogant, that doesn’t show him in a good light granted but I guess you either like it or lump it,

I’d rather remember Carra and what he did for us on the pitch rather than what he is off it, his continuous shouting and encouragement of players is legendary and to be fair put players in their place at times when it was needed, I remember the hundreds of tackles he made and the countless interceptions that prevented goals against, and who can ever forget his performance in Istanbul, that’s what I remember of him rather than a one off spitting incident that was so out of character,

At times I too do not like what he says, or some of his comments and will call him out on them, but I will always admire and respect  & be grateful for what he gave to LFC.

Y  N  W  A
      Kopite78
      Reply #2294: Nov 26, 2020 02:59:09 pm

I’d rather remember Carra and what he did for us on the pitch rather than what he is off it, his continuous shouting and encouragement of players is legendary and to be fair put players in their place at times when it was needed

Y  N  W  A

Completely agree mate

I have a few examples of this but one I'll always remember was Man City under Kenny, John Flannagan had come in for (I think) his first start, I was sat on the 3rd row Lower Kemlyn and for the entire match all you could hear was Carra talking Flanno through the game, encouraging him, talking to him about positioning

It was a joy

So to think of him as some sort of bully, some sort of negative influence is beyond me

Nearly 800 games for the club, played under what? 5 managers.. do we honestly think he'd have played that many games, been acknowledged as a leader under numerous manager if he was a negative influence or a "bully"

Nah
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2295: Nov 26, 2020 06:58:52 pm

Sorry mate but I think you are taking your new hatred of Carra a tad too far, you cannot compère the two era’s , in the Carra/Gerard era we had a few managers trying to implement their own philosophy in a dressing room no where near as tight as what we have now, also the quality is much better and as a club everyone from the chief exec to the wonderful dinner ladies & cleaners are all singing from the same song sheet, we certainly didn’t have that then and perhaps that’s the real reason we were not as successful, the spitting incident was disgusting as you say but ffs mate you don’t half hold a grudge,

Everyone makes mistakes and Carra made a monumental one that day, yes he should have known better and yes he should have held back his frustration/ anger but let it go fella, it’s gone and I’m sure Carra deeply regrets his actions, I agree that at times Carra comes across as being bigger than his station allows, but that is just him big headed & arrogant, that doesn’t show him in a good light granted but I guess you either like it or lump it,

I’d rather remember Carra and what he did for us on the pitch rather than what he is off it, his continuous shouting and encouragement of players is legendary and to be fair put players in their place at times when it was needed, I remember the hundreds of tackles he made and the countless interceptions that prevented goals against, and who can ever forget his performance in Istanbul, that’s what I remember of him rather than a one off spitting incident that was so out of character,

At times I too do not like what he says, or some of his comments and will call him out on them, but I will always admire and respect  & be grateful for what he gave to LFC.

Y  N  W  A

I think people have a tendency to view Carra through rose tinted glasses, he was a good defender but never great.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #2296: Nov 26, 2020 07:21:37 pm
      100% agree, I can imagine Carragher being a complete c**t as a player, bullying the dressing room. Stevie G I think was probably fine, but I've always seen him as being a bit aloof, not in a nasty way, but I just can't imagine him being that involved off the pitch, despite being captain.

What makes you think Carragher was a bully? Near enough every player who played with him speaks about him in glowing terms. He was certainly loud and made himself heard but you need that in a centre half. Gerrard was no Roy Keane and tended to lead with his feet & ability, so Carra did a lot of the on-field encouraging.

If we're talking about bullying that culture was a lot more prevalent in the 70s & 80s, with the likes of Souness & Hansen giving new recruits baptisms of fire. Didn't seem to do us any harm though
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2297: Nov 26, 2020 07:31:36 pm
      I think people have a tendency to view Carra through rose tinted glasses, he was a good defender but never great.

I think people don't appreciate what Carra brought to the table,  he gave his whole career to Liverpool FC, and being from Bootle it meant more to him than anyone outside of Merseyside,
      His passion and determination shone through and has LFC in his DNA, he is a bona fide Scouser and like those before him like Fowler, Thommo,  Tommy Smith to name but a few ran through brick walls for his club,

"We all dream of a team of Carraghers,"

Is testament to what he meant to true Liverpool fans, those who truly appreciate what he gave his whole career,

If you believe he was a bully in the dressing room and was only good then you are being disrespectful to our second most longest serving player in history,  and quite frankly a bit of a kunt if I'm honest!
      Kopite78
      Reply #2298: Nov 26, 2020 07:41:22 pm

You dont play nearly 800 games for Liverpool football club if you're simply "good"
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #2299: Nov 26, 2020 07:48:50 pm

I agree. I would bet that the dressing room is much more of a flat hierarchy now than it has ever been at Liverpool.

Quick Reply