Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pundits and Commentators

Read 430500 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #2461: May 09, 2021 01:19:29 am
      Had Stephen Warnock and can't remember the other guys name but it was refreshing apart from Warnock's voice.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #2462: May 09, 2021 01:43:07 am
      Jenas is a w**ker of the highest order

Can't imagine Jermaine Jenas having a w*nk unless it was while browsing a self-published w*nk mag full of pictures of...Jermaine Jenas
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2052 
      Reply #2463: May 16, 2021 10:05:36 pm
      Watching the Sky highlights of the match earlier. For a fantastic moment (a goalkeeper scoring the winning goal is fantastic in any game!) it's incredible how not fantastic the commentary was to describe that moment. Brutally uninspired commentary.

Tyler used to be an excellent commentator but he really is quite appalling now. Tired, unimaginative and useless. As for Carragher? He's just a very poor co commentator in general. Don't giggle and guffaw when a moment like that happens - speak words for heavens sake.

Shambles.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #2464: May 16, 2021 10:20:34 pm
      Watching the Sky highlights of the match earlier. For a fantastic moment (a goalkeeper scoring the winning goal is fantastic in any game!) it's incredible how not fantastic the commentary was to describe that moment. Brutally uninspired commentary.

Tyler used to be an excellent commentator but he really is quite appalling now. Tired, unimaginative and useless. As for Carragher? He's just a very poor co commentator in general. Don't giggle and guffaw when a moment like that happens - speak words for heavens sake.

Shambles.

I think Carra’s Liverpoolness came out at that point

Agree on Tyler
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #2465: May 18, 2021 09:13:25 am

I think Carra must have meant Ruben Dias was the best CB in the prem, during the time VVD had a cast on his leg.
      And even that’s debatable. 😂😂😂

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,672 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2466: May 18, 2021 11:26:41 am

I think Carra must have meant Ruben Dias was the best CB in the prem, during the time VVD had a cast on his leg.
      And even that’s debatable. 😂😂😂

No doubt in my mind Dias been the best CB this year.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,824 posts | 4921 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2467: May 18, 2021 04:37:34 pm
      Dias has been the best defender this season, city likewise has been the best team this season, BUT only because we weren't there breathing down their necks, 

There's no doubt in my mind that City have had it relatively easy, and would have been a different story had we been with them all the way and had Chavs had Tuchel in earlier. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #2468: Jun 19, 2021 11:09:19 pm
      Didn't expect to see Rob Earnshaw on the ITV highlights.

Even more surprised with his interesting choice of shirt.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #2469: Jun 23, 2021 08:45:40 pm
      What is the obsession with commentator and pundits calling midfielders 'Quarterbacks'?

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2052 
      Reply #2470: Jun 23, 2021 08:52:08 pm
      What is the obsession with commentator and pundits calling midfielders 'Quarterbacks'?

Quarterbacks - surely not?? I've not heard it myself but there's no way any of us can stand for that sort of sh*t!

Who said it???
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #2471: Jun 23, 2021 08:57:58 pm
      Quarterbacks - surely not?? I've not heard it myself but there's no way any of us can stand for that sort of sh*t!

Who said it???

Guy Mowbray this time.

It's not the term so much, as I'm a big NFL fan, just that in football terms it's nonsense and doesn't make any sense.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2052 
      Reply #2472: Jun 23, 2021 09:15:32 pm
      Guy Mowbray this time.

It's not the term so much, as I'm a big NFL fan, just that in football terms it's nonsense and doesn't make any sense.

What a moron.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #2473: Jun 23, 2021 09:19:03 pm

Who said it???

Was continually used about Gerrard from 2010 onwards. The level of commentating has got worse over the last few years especially with the amount of inane chit chat between commentator and co-commentator.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #2474: Jun 23, 2021 09:20:55 pm
      Was continually used about Gerrard from 2010 onwards. The level of commentating has got worse over the last few years especially with the amount of inane chit chat between commentator and co-commentator.

Or like tonight with Jenas constantly stating the F***ing obvious.

And he's so boring along with it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2475: Jun 24, 2021 11:17:33 am
      The difference between the British ex-player pundits, and the foreign ex-player pundits is immense.

The British ones just talk inane sh*te, with the exception of some females players.

The foreign ex-players they get on, are more concise, incisive and talk a lot more sense.
      They don't treat the viewers as eejits by default, which seems to be the way with the Brits.

It's actually quite funny, when you see one of them looking over with a slight look of panic on their face, thinking "F**k, I might have to say something sensible here."

Having said that, I find Keane quite entertaining, even though he is now almost a caricature of himself.

The Brits?
      Stealing a living.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #2476: Jun 24, 2021 11:25:53 am
      The difference between the British ex-player pundits, and the foreign ex-player pundits is immense.

The British ones just talk inane sh*te, with the exception of some females players.

The foreign ex-players they get on, are more concise, incisive and talk a lot more sense.
      They don't treat the viewers as eejits by default, which seems to be the way with the Brits.

It's actually quite funny, when you see one of them looking over with a slight look of panic on their face, thinking "F**k, I might have to say something sensible here."

Having said that, I find Keane quite entertaining, even though he is now almost a caricature of himself.

The Brits?
      Stealing a living.

I don't think some ex-players treat viewers as idiots, I just think they're F***ing idiots which doesn't help.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2477: Jun 24, 2021 11:29:03 am

I have not heard that yet and surely hope I do not. Please don't allow the NFL to bleed into real football.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,672 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2478: Jun 24, 2021 11:30:06 am
      I don't think some ex-players treat viewers as idiots, I just think they're f**king idiots which doesn't help.

Ally been a breath of fresh air during the Euro's. Need him in the Premier league more often.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2479: Jun 24, 2021 11:53:59 am
      I don't think some ex-players treat viewers as idiots, I just think they're F***ing idiots which doesn't help.

That's true as well, but they assume that everyone else is even thicker.
      Some of it comes from being coddled all their lives because they happened to be good at kicking a F***ing ball, a lot of it is arrogance, and another part of it is the stupid persons way of thinking "This is what I know, therefore it is everything and must be right."

Let's be honest here, the Brit pundits are, for the most part, dinosaurs, who still see 3 CB's as an exotic system, and harp on about a 442 with a "big man, little man" combination.

You can see they are utterly flummoxed by England's 433 - they don't really know the system at all.
      TBF it appears Southgate doesn't really know it either.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2480: Jun 24, 2021 11:56:19 am
      Ally been a breath of fresh air during the Euro's. Need him in the Premier league more often.

If you are looking for tactical insight from a co-commentator, he's not your man.

If you want honesty and entertainment, he's about the best at the moment.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #2481: Jun 24, 2021 12:14:25 pm
      That's true as well, but they assume that everyone else is even thicker.
      Some of it comes from being coddled all their lives because they happened to be good at kicking a F***ing ball, a lot of it is arrogance, and another part of it is the stupid persons way of thinking "This is what I know, therefore it is everything and must be right."

Let's be honest here, the Brit pundits are, for the most part, dinosaurs, who still see 3 CB's as an exotic system, and harp on about a 442 with a "big man, little man" combination.

You can see they are utterly flummoxed by England's 433 - they don't really know the system at all.
      TBF it appears Southgate doesn't really know it either.

So many times you hear them bang on about

'you need two up top'

'they need to whip a ball in'

'got to be man to man'

And other such endless, clueless nonsense.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,672 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2482: Jun 24, 2021 01:14:13 pm
      So many times you hear them bang on about

'you need two up top'

'they need to whip a ball in'

'got to be man to man'

And other such endless, clueless nonsense.

Easy when you sat down in a chair looking down isn't it. Problem is half of them didn't do it on the pitch yet spout in their armchairs thinking they do.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #2483: Jun 24, 2021 01:17:28 pm
      Easy when you sat down in a chair looking down isn't it. Problem is half of them didn't do it on the pitch yet spout in their armchairs thinking they do.

Don’t talk nonsense

sh*te commentators yes but they didn’t get to play at the top level without being very good footballers now did they

Levels yes but if you think that any of them weren’t very good then you’re kidding yourself

Quick Reply