Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Pundits and Commentators

Read 438081 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,169 posts | 1384 
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #2898: Jul 09, 2022 02:59:59 pm
      My take on the likes of Lineker are that he, like everybody else is entitled to his opinion, but he's mainstream football and in openly attracting publicity for his political and social views, he is in effect opening it up for journalist to ask political type questions to sports men and women.

Bobby Robson, when he was EM, was once asked an overtly political question and he rightly rounded on the journalist and told him bluntly.." Don't ask me political questions, I'm a sportsman not a bloody politician".
      tytusgroan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | 51 
      Reply #2899: Jul 09, 2022 04:14:29 pm
      My take on the likes of Lineker are that he, like everybody else is entitled to his opinion, but he's mainstream football and in openly attracting publicity for his political and social views, he is in effect opening it up for journalist to ask political type questions to sports men and women.

Bobby Robson, when he was EM, was once asked an overtly political question and he rightly rounded on the journalist and told him bluntly.." Don't ask me political questions, I'm a sportsman not a bloody politician".

Unfortunately in this day and age you have to do both. Sad times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #2900: Jul 10, 2022 12:17:31 pm
      Unfortunately in this day and age you have to do both. Sad times

No body has to do both. Everyone has a choice of what words come from their mouth once opened. Unfortunately, some individuals think they are a presence to have an opinion on all matters. Even subjects they clearly have very little knowledge about. They'd be better off just keeping to the subjects they are employed to oversee.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #2901: Jul 11, 2022 07:32:37 pm

Or just be a F***ing good human being like the skipper
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #2902: Jul 11, 2022 07:46:16 pm
      So anyone who works for the BBC can't comment on politics or social issues?

Take away the BBC and people will soon know what we've lost.

All those who complain about it, I guess they never use iplayer, the radio, click on BBC Sport, BBC News. I guess all their favourite programmes in this and past eras were on ITV or Sky. I'm guessing they never once watched an educational video / documentary at school that the BBC produced. Never laughed at Fawlty Towers, Only Fools, Alan Partridge, The Office...Never listened to 5 live on a Saturday afternoon for the football or tuned in at 5 for the scores. Never been half way round the world to flick on the World Service and hear Liverpool at Anfield on a Wednesday night in Europe.

So F***ing what if Lineker wants to spout off on twitter. Opinionated, yes. Controversial? No. The BBC don't control him (for starters they no longer tie their sport broadcasters to exclusive contracts).
      Harrisimo

• 8,169 posts | 1384 
      Reply #2903: Jul 12, 2022 07:40:40 am
      Take away the BBC and people will soon know what we've lost.

All those who complain about it, I guess they never use iplayer, the radio, click on BBC Sport, BBC News. I guess all their favourite programmes in this and past eras were on ITV or Sky. I'm guessing they never once watched an educational video / documentary at school that the BBC produced. Never laughed at Fawlty Towers, Only Fools, Alan Partridge, The Office...Never listened to 5 live on a Saturday afternoon for the football or tuned in at 5 for the scores. Never been half way round the world to flick on the World Service and hear Liverpool at Anfield on a Wednesday night in Europe.

So f**king what if Lineker wants to spout off on twitter. Opinionated, yes. Controversial? No. The BBC don't control him (for starters they no longer tie their sport broadcasters to exclusive contracts).

None of that puts them above criticism.In the same way our glorious history doesn't put us above criticism.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 875 posts | 102 
      Reply #2904: Jul 12, 2022 07:14:36 pm
      Micah Richards.. 200K..no wonder he's laughing
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #2905: Jul 12, 2022 07:30:09 pm
      None of that puts them above criticism.In the same way our glorious history doesn't put us above criticism.

Don't think I said any of that does put them above criticism or implied it. For me it shows that the public good that the BBC provides completely admonishes any argument to get rid of it (usually the preserve of far right types)
      Harrisimo

• 8,169 posts | 1384 
      Reply #2906: Jul 13, 2022 08:31:40 am
      Micah Richards.. 200K..no wonder he's laughing

No wonder so many ex pro's try to jump on the media gravy train. Obviously some of them are on pay as you yap deal. I mean I think they are overpaid but I don't begrudge or envy them.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,284 posts | 2805 
      Reply #2907: Aug 05, 2022 09:52:37 am
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #2908: Aug 05, 2022 11:03:00 am

I know Tyler hates us but there is no excuse for this behaviour! F***ing hang the c**t! Hang him by the neck until dead! To make a comment that uneducated, ignorant or evil takes a special level of hatred.

Yet again though, nothing will be done.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #2909: Aug 05, 2022 01:16:26 pm
      I know Tyler hates us but there is no excuse for this behaviour! F***ing hang the c**t! Hang him by the neck until dead! To make a comment that uneducated, ignorant or evil takes a special level of hatred.

He's already apologised.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySports/status/1555508332588400644?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1555508332588400644%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

What he's trying to say would make sense written down, with punctuation.

Hillsborough and other, hooligan related, incidents.

But spoken, without the punctuation, you’re conflating the two.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4971 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2910: Aug 05, 2022 02:21:27 pm
      He's already apologised.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySports/status/1555508332588400644?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1555508332588400644%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

What he's trying to say would make sense written down, with punctuation.

Hillsborough and other, hooligan related, incidents.

But spoken, without the punctuation, you’re conflating the two.

No but he should f***in know better, I don’t get that it was a spur of the moment comment or off the cuff, any correlation between holliganism & Hillsborough is going to flash like a beacon, professionally he knows that even the slightest mention of a hooligan element whilst mentioning Hillsborough in the same sentence will cause concern,

The Cnut can apologise all he f***in wants, but the horse is already six fields away, what he said is out there and folk will make what they want of it, most football fans will not blink a eye and won’t give a shiny sh*te, but for us it’s different, particularly if you are directly involved whether you were there or worse lost kith or kin,

I would have more respect for him if he just came out and said Liverpool are not my favourite club and be done with it, at least then we all know where we stand, his half arsed commentary, constant put downs, irrelevant innuendos, and over zealous commentary when opposing teams score against us are pathetic really when you consider that he is supposed to remain impartial whoever is on the pitch, it is abundantly clear that he has a hidden agenda regarding anything LFC, hence the extreme dislike for him and his wily ways !!!!

pr**k !!

Y  N  W  A
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,770 posts | 390 
      Reply #2911: Aug 05, 2022 02:49:22 pm
      I'm not sure if he's biassed against us or he just likes the underdog which we rarely are these days. Whichever way he's hard to stomach on our matches.

He seems old, tired and bored by it all now. His latest comments are extremely insensitive and callous and in my opinion show strong signs of him losing his cognitive functions.

I think Sky will phase him out into retirement pretty soon. 
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,179 posts | 722 
      Reply #2912: Aug 05, 2022 03:28:09 pm

From the start let me make myself clear. I believe this commentator has always struggled to hide his negative bias and obvious dislike for Our club.
      His employers over the years have repeatedly failed us by turning a blind eye/ear to his contemptible horseshit. He, and they are a disgrace.
      As ignorant as Tyler's latest remarks are, and they are off the scale in terms of the offence caused, I find your comment frankly distasteful and shocking.
      The people of this City, and the greater LFC fanbase, have a unique instinct to sniff out and call out injustice when, and wherever it pops up. But we also have a long tradition of tolerance and balance. Calling for his violent demise feels way over the top and wrong.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4971 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2913: Aug 05, 2022 04:11:41 pm
      From the start let me make myself clear. I believe this commentator has always struggled to hide his negative bias and obvious dislike for Our club.
      His employers over the years have repeatedly failed us by turning a blind eye/ear to his contemptible horseshit. He, and they are a disgrace.
      As ignorant as Tyler's latest remarks are, and they are off the scale in terms of the offence caused, I find your comment frankly distasteful and shocking.
      The people of this City, and the greater LFC fanbase, have a unique instinct to sniff out and call out injustice when, and wherever it pops up. But we also have a long tradition of tolerance and balance. Calling for his violent demise feels way over the top and wrong.

Don’t think he’s been serious fella, it’s his way of expressing his anger, a tad ott perhaps but you don’t honestly believe he actually means it do you?

Tyler may or may not be the biggest Cnut since Thatcher so he needs to stop acting like he is, it’s all about opinions mate, his is to hang the Cnut until he’s frog up, personally I’d like to hack the Cnut to pieces, barbecue his bawbag, or rip his spine out and poke him up the arse with it, I hope that this style of violent demise is also over the top and probably wrong too and I can’t wait for you to tell me !!

Bonjour!!
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,179 posts | 722 
      Reply #2914: Aug 05, 2022 05:13:38 pm

Don’t think he’s been serious fella, it’s his way of expressing his anger, a tad ott perhaps but you don’t honestly believe he actually means it do you?

Tyler may or may not be the biggest Cnut since Thatcher so he needs to stop acting like he is, it’s all about opinions mate, his is to hang the Cnut until he’s frog up, personally I’d like to hack the Cnut to pieces, barbecue his bawbag, or rip his spine out and poke him up the arse with it, I hope that this style of violent demise is also over the top and probably wrong too and I can’t wait for you to tell me !!

Bonjour!!
      The level of vitriol in the OP I found genuinely unpleasant, I didn't really take it as a call for some kind of organised fatwa against the pr**k.
      Your comments are obviously completely different in tone, which I'm more than happy to subscribe to.
      Bon Soir
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2915: Aug 05, 2022 05:25:10 pm
      The level of vitriol in the OP I found genuinely unpleasant, I didn't really take it as a call for some kind of organised fatwa against the pr**k.
      Your comments are obviously completely different in tone, which I'm more than happy to subscribe to.
      Bon Soir

We have Mods to deal with stuff you dont need to act all offended and if you take postings literally every time your going to be offended a lot.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #2916: Aug 05, 2022 05:56:19 pm
      Honestly I don't think he meant it as he said it as HR mentioned above.

He's still a c**t like but on this one I think was a genuine mistake that he really didn't word and define well enough while talking.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2917: Aug 05, 2022 06:13:26 pm
      Honestly I don't think he meant it as he said it as HR mentioned above.

He's still a c**t like but on this one I think was a genuine mistake that he really didn't word and define well enough while talking.

a subconscious mistake perhaps ? sometime the truth can slip out. However the additional fact he wasnt picked up straight away sort of underlines the bias and perhaps institutional bias  that so many in the media have about our City and club.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,179 posts | 722 
      Reply #2918: Aug 05, 2022 06:15:43 pm
      We have Mods to deal with stuff you dont need to act all offended and if you take postings literally every time your going to be offended a lot.
      I wasn't acting offended. The OP read to me as unpleasant. Language is open to interpretation, and my post reflected that, nothing more nothing less. His central point about the broadcaster I agree with.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #2919: Aug 05, 2022 06:35:17 pm
      a subconscious mistake perhaps ? sometime the truth can slip out. However the additional fact he wasnt picked up straight away sort of underlines the bias and perhaps institutional bias  that so many in the media have about our City and club.

Agree.

The interviewer should have made him clarify straight away.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #2920: Aug 05, 2022 07:41:13 pm
      Can’t help themselves, biased Manchester c**t

Quick Reply