Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pundits and Commentators

Read 430092 times
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #3289: Mar 12, 2023 07:07:16 pm
      Wikipedia says he was chairman of his local conservative association and stood as a councillor, unsuccessfully but I agree that describing him as a politician was an exaggeration.

Apologies for that I still think he's biased towards the Tories.
      No apology needed, but thankfully accepted nonetheless....Virtually the whole of the establishment (Elite) are natural Conservative supporters, to what degree his personal political preferences influence his decision making at the Beeb...is hard to know, he won't even know himself. I think he knows he's made a mess of how the Lineker debacle is playing out.
      I continue to defend GL's right to give any opinion he wishes outside of his BBC work, but he would be well advised to make a statement, both praising and thanking the BBC for his post football career...it would look good.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3290: Mar 12, 2023 07:59:51 pm
      This from BBC guidelines..on conflicts of interest.

" The risk is greater, where opinion overlaps with the area of individual's work. The risk is LOWER where an individual is expressing views publicly on an unrelated area, for example, a sports or science presenter expressing views on politics or the arts"

Doesn't put Lineker in the clear but looks like an over reaction by BBC. Could be the reference to Germany in the "30's" was what prompted the BBC to act. If Lineker had just said he disagreed with the immigration policy, that would've been that.
      « Last Edit: Mar 12, 2023 08:07:42 pm by Harrisimo »
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #3291: Mar 12, 2023 09:15:49 pm
      This from BBC guidelines..on conflicts of interest.

" The risk is greater, where opinion overlaps with the area of individual's work. The risk is LOWER where an individual is expressing views publicly on an unrelated area, for example, a sports or science presenter expressing views on politics or the arts"

Doesn't put Lineker in the clear but looks like an over reaction by BBC. Could be the reference to Germany in the "30's" was what prompted the BBC to act. If Lineker had just said he disagreed with the immigration policy, that would've been that.
      I'm not convinced anybody at the BBC, or anywhere else for that matter was overly put out by GL's tweet.  It was the faux outrage of a few Tory ministers that caused the DG to act. I suspect that Tim Davie dug himself into a hole by offering to drop it if Lineker apologised, once that failed to materialise it spiralled out of control, notably with big name support refusing to broadcast.
      In setting out its 2023 Immigration bill the Government used the phase " Detained and deported" Lineker's tweet said some of the govt's language had echos of 1930's Germany. Agree with him on policy or not, you can't deny he had a valid point.
      « Last Edit: Mar 12, 2023 11:48:30 pm by Longy-Shops »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3292: Mar 12, 2023 10:33:19 pm
      I'm not convinced anybody at the BBC, or anywhere else for that matter was overly put out by GL's tweet.  It was the faux outrage of a few Tory ministers that caused the DG to act. I suspect that Tim Davie dug himself into a hole by offering to drop it if Lineker apologised, once that failed to materialise it spiralled out of control, notably with big name support refusing to broadcast.
      In setting out its 2023 Immigration bill the Government used the phase " Detained and deported" Lineker's tweet said some of the govt's language had echos of 1930's Germany. Agree with him on policy or not, you can'y deny he had a valid point.

Windrush was nearly as bad as slavery. Deported innocent people, several died as a result. BBC didn't really touch it apart from waffling rhetoric. Germany in the 30's, as I'm sure you know, was a living nightmare for Jewish people. Night of the long knives etc.

Flimsy comparison by GL. Just wanted to make an impact and express his outrage. Made his money so his bank account backs up his bottle. BBC have may be shot themselves in the foot. Now everybody is talking about BBC 'impartiality' when previously it was only a leftie concern.

Whinging over impartiality is laughable and double standards. Lineker slagged of Qatar and wanted Labour to dump Corbyn. BBC said nowt then. Could be Lineker will tell them to shove it. Give the job to Razzor Ruddick..
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3293: Mar 12, 2023 10:45:51 pm
      Whinging over impartiality is laughable and double standards.

Yep.

You can guarantee if Lineker Tweeted in support of the Tory policy you wouldn't have heard a peep.

Got into a bit of a row with my Dad today over this. He's a F***ing dinosaur with his opinions and I kind of snapped as I'm fed up of intolerance and downright racist talk and behaviour.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3294: Mar 12, 2023 11:05:08 pm
      Yep.

You can guarantee if Lineker Tweeted in support of the Tory policy you wouldn't have heard a peep.

Got into a bit of a row with my Dad today over this. He's a f**king dinosaur with his opinions and I kind of snapped as I'm fed up of intolerance and downright racist talk and behaviour.

Well yes but it's not always easy to be understanding or whatever. I'm sure I've said stuff in my distant past that was ignorant and even borderline racist.  I have relatives who are blatantly racist, I mean yes we get sick of the attitude etc but a lot of it is to do with the environment etc. Race & religion....nearly as bad as football.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3295: Mar 12, 2023 11:11:52 pm
      Well yes but it's not always easy to be understanding or whatever. I'm sure I've said stuff in my distant past that was ignorant and even borderline racist.  I have relatives who are blatantly racist, I mean yes we get sick of the attitude etc but a lot of it is to do with the environment etc. Race & religion....nearly as bad as football.

100% mate and my Dad is a product of his time probably, 75 this year, but it is difficult to listen to such hatred at times even from those you love.

I'm sure we all have friends and loved ones who have opinions that don't sit well with our own but it's why the world is the way it is in my opinion.

Religion plays a huge part, especially over here in Northern Ireland, and what saddens me the most over here is the people who claim to be 'Christian' seem to have some of the most unChristian views most of the time.

I know straying a bit off topic but just got me thinking after seeing my folks today.

Live and let live and do what you can to help your fellow man is how we should live our lives in my opinion but that will never be the way for most I imagine
      « Last Edit: Mar 12, 2023 11:53:58 pm by srslfc »
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #3296: Mar 12, 2023 11:47:01 pm
      100% mate and my Dad is a product of his time probably, 75 this year, but it is difficult to listen to such hatred at times even from those you love.

I'm sure we all have friends and lived ones who have opinions that don't sit well with our own but it's why the world is the way it is in my opinion.

Religion plays a huge part, especially over her in Northern Ireland, and what saddens me the most over here is the people who claim to be 'Christian' seen to have some of the most unChristian views most of the time.

I know straying a bit off topic but just got me thinking after seeing my folks today.

Live and let live and do what you can to help your fellow man is how we should live our lives in my opinion but that will never be the way for most I imagine
      well said. Ignorance and intolerance has its foundations in how and where we are brought up. We pick up our prejudices in childhood, often without noticing. But as adults we should be on a journey to reject as many, hopefully all, as we can. A life lived with as little harm, physically or mentally to others is a life well lived.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3297: Mar 13, 2023 12:00:54 am

I'm sure we all have friends and lived ones who have opinions that don't sit well with our own but it's why the world is the way it is in my opinion.

Religion plays a huge part, especially over here in Northern Ireland, and what saddens me the most over here is the people who claim to be 'Christian' seem to have some of the most unChristian views most of the time.

Live here in NI myself. Lurgan area, Scouser-in-exile. Married a lass from Lurgan area. Yes it can be very intolerant at times. I've had a few things said to me. Personally I don't bother too much with religion. Bad enough trying to support liverpool at times.

Yeah those close can be a pain at times but I'm no angel and can be a misery half the time. So we deal with what we have and try to get it right. Crossword time before Bo Bo's...good luck Bud..
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3298: Mar 13, 2023 09:11:05 am
      Yep.

Got into a bit of a row with my Dad today over this. He's a f**king dinosaur with his opinions and I kind of snapped as I'm fed up of intolerance and downright racist talk and behaviour.

My dad is getting worse in his old age too.

Too many immigrants etc. But happy enough to buy his paper from the local corner shop run by asians. l o l
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3299: Mar 13, 2023 09:31:14 am
      Iā€™m hopeful that Gary will be returning from what Iā€™ve read. Honestly, as much as we call pundits & Commentators I still prefer to listen to someone even if it means I can call them a kunt at their jobs.  ;D
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3300: Mar 13, 2023 09:40:14 am
      Regardless of the tweet etc. shows how out of touch the Beeb exec's are that they didn't think of the consequences of suspending Linekar. Did they think all the others would just show up for work as if nothing happened. The guys are a team. Have played at the highest level and have each others backs. Fair play.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #3301: Mar 13, 2023 10:24:37 am
      Regardless of the tweet etc. shows how out of touch the Beeb exec's are that they didn't think of the consequences of suspending Linekar. Did they think all the others would just show up for work as if nothing happened. The guys are a team. Have played at the highest level and have each others backs. Fair play.
      The DG came under a percieved pressure to bring Lineker into line. He (Tim Davie) then made the wrong call with the suspension. The reputational damage and chaos caused to BBC output has forced them to see it was a mistake and agree to move on. Clearer guidelines will be drafted...The End.
      We all make mistakes...No one was hurt, one of those big stories in a weeks time no one will remember.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #3302: Mar 13, 2023 11:53:18 am
      Iā€™m hopeful that Gary will be returning from what Iā€™ve read. Honestly, as much as we call pundits & Commentators I still prefer to listen to someone even if it means I can call them a kunt at their jobs.  ;D
      Common sense has prevailed. Lineker's broadcast career is quite a journey, he was predictably clumsy at the start (Trying too hard)..but working alongside Des Lynam and Alan Hanson he developed a voice. Live TV is tough, timing is everything, and that can be learnt, but it's getting the right tone that elevates you to the top.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3303: Mar 13, 2023 12:33:00 pm
      The guidelines do say if you're intending to put out something that could be viewed as controversial then you must run it past the powers that be...or words to the effect. Lineker didn't do that.

That will probably form part of the agreement for Lineker to come back. Censorship ? A tiny bit.

Lineker 1 Davie 1

Late equaliser there from Davie..Lineker going down the left, caught out by a cross from the right wing.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #3304: Mar 13, 2023 01:04:10 pm
      The guidelines do say if you're intending to put out something that could be viewed as controversial then you must run it past the powers that be...or words to the effect. Lineker didn't do that.

That will probably form part of the agreement for Lineker to come back. Censorship ? A tiny bit.

Lineker 1 Davie 1

Late equaliser there from Davie..Lineker going down the left, caught out by a cross from the right wing.

Very cleaver....Of course neither of them would be overly keen to lose multi million pound contracts
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #3305: Mar 13, 2023 01:14:40 pm
      My dad is getting worse in his old age too.

Too many immigrants etc. But happy enough to buy his paper from the local corner shop run by asians. l o l

Maybe your dad has no real choice !
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3306: Mar 13, 2023 01:20:43 pm
      Kudos to Linaker, and anyone else who stand up to the BBC/ Tory bullshit, fact is that their scared, not of him and those who back him, their scared of the truth simples, Linaker alluded to the decision to ā€œStop the Boatsā€ being akin to Germany in the 1930ā€™s and he wasnā€™t a million miles off,

How incredulous is it when you have Tory Cnuts like Raab, Patel, Braverman Sunak, who are all from emigrants who came to the UK for a better standard of life, to feel safe and perhaps to contribute to the British way of life, it is unbelievable that these cu*ts have the f***in gall to refuse entry to those ppl who are worse off than their parents/ Grandparents were, isnā€™t that like the ultimate of pulling the ladder up behind you !!

How f***in sad is it the British Govā€™s immigration policy is ā€œStop the f***in boatsā€ rather than doing everything possible to help those risking life & limb for a better standard of life, or perhaps to feel safe, maybe even eventually help contribute to British society,

I dunno about any of you out there but Iā€™m f***in sick of these lying Tory Cnuts , everything the touch or have anything to do with is all f***in lies, lied about promises to Scotland if they stayed within the Union, lied about how good it would be being out of Europe, lied all thru f***in Brexit, lied about the lies they told about Covid, lied about how f***in safe injections were when they clearly werenā€™t, lied about the Xmas f***in parties at Downing St while ppl up and down the land couldnā€™t visit dying loved ones or the funerals of those already passed,

Lied about the PPE contracts that were given to their Tory mates for the slippery back handers involved in securing them, and now theyā€™re lying again, they are nothing short of being total f***in scumbags !!

That Cnut Braverman says weā€™ll be swamped by millions of refugees, another f***in lie, they have the same rhetoric as f***in Nazi Germany, undermining, dehumanising, scapegoating those who are fleeing persecution and fear, how f***in dare they speak on my behalf as a British citizen and decide no, your not coming f***in in, weā€™re not gonna help you, so turn yer wee boats around and F**k off !!

Im going now cos Iā€™m f***in seething,    F**k OFF TORY CNUTS , if you support them you should be ashamed of yourself!!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3307: Mar 13, 2023 01:31:01 pm

Im going now cos Iā€™m f***in seething,    F**k OFF TORY CNUTS , if you support them you should be ashamed of yourself!!!

If you support any politician you should be ashamed of yourself regardless of their party. They don't represent any of us. They all only represent their own self-interests. If in doing that they help large groups or portions of a population, then they'll gladly claim altruism when in fact, they were only ever looking out for #1 all along anyway.

It's amazing to me how people will argue and debate about which "side" is better when in reality, they all stink.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3308: Mar 13, 2023 02:01:26 pm
      It's official. Lineker back on MOTD. Said he's stick to the guidelines, Davie said he's review them..now we can all go back to not watching that crap show.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3309: Mar 13, 2023 03:43:36 pm
      Maybe your dad has no real choice !

tbf. your right most local shops are asian run. We would have no local shops without them. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3310: Mar 13, 2023 03:44:54 pm
      Kudos to Linaker, and anyone else who stand up to the BBC/ Tory bullshit, fact is that their scared, not of him and those who back him, their scared of the truth simples, Linaker alluded to the decision to ā€œStop the Boatsā€ being akin to Germany in the 1930ā€™s and he wasnā€™t a million miles off,

How incredulous is it when you have Tory Cnuts like Raab, Patel, Braverman Sunak, who are all from emigrants who came to the UK for a better standard of life, to feel safe and perhaps to contribute to the British way of life, it is unbelievable that these Cu*ts have the f***in gall to refuse entry to those ppl who are worse off than their parents/ Grandparents were, isnā€™t that like the ultimate of pulling the ladder up behind you !!

How f***in sad is it the British Govā€™s immigration policy is ā€œStop the f***in boatsā€ rather than doing everything possible to help those risking life & limb for a better standard of life, or perhaps to feel safe, maybe even eventually help contribute to British society,

I dunno about any of you out there but Iā€™m f***in sick of these lying Tory Cnuts , everything the touch or have anything to do with is all f***in lies, lied about promises to Scotland if they stayed within the Union, lied about how good it would be being out of Europe, lied all thru f***in Brexit, lied about the lies they told about Covid, lied about how f***in safe injections were when they clearly werenā€™t, lied about the Xmas f***in parties at Downing St while ppl up and down the land couldnā€™t visit dying loved ones or the funerals of those already passed,

Lied about the PPE contracts that were given to their Tory mates for the slippery back handers involved in securing them, and now theyā€™re lying again, they are nothing short of being total f***in scumbags !!

That Cnut Braverman says weā€™ll be swamped by millions of refugees, another f***in lie, they have the same rhetoric as f***in Nazi Germany, undermining, dehumanising, scapegoating those who are fleeing persecution and fear, how f***in dare they speak on my behalf as a British citizen and decide no, your not coming f***in in, weā€™re not gonna help you, so turn yer wee boats around and f**k off !!

100% mate.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3311: Mar 13, 2023 03:47:10 pm
      If you support any politician you should be ashamed of yourself regardless of their party. They don't represent any of us. They all only represent their own self-interests. If in doing that they help large groups or portions of a population, then they'll gladly claim altruism when in fact, they were only ever looking out for #1 all along anyway.

It's amazing to me how people will argue and debate about which "side" is better when in reality, they all stink.

Really hope thats not true my daughter is already 2 years into her political career at the age of 19, and she has a heart of gold and wants to make things better. Sadly she is with young scottish labour and im SNP, but still she has her own mind, and im still proud of her.

Quick Reply