Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Babel posts altered Webb photo on twitter - now charged by FA

Read 17000 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: Babel posts altered Webb photo on twitter - now charged by FA
      Reply #138: Jan 13, 2011 05:42:04 pm
      I'd love Babel to improve :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #139: Jan 13, 2011 05:51:13 pm
      F.A.   Fergie is their Godfather  or thinks he is.

When his son, Roy Keane and Hodgson got the boot he banged on in the press about the LMA (League Managers Association) doing a "fantastic job"  He reckoned all three should have been given longer in their jobs.

Well he would wouldn't he.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #140: Jan 14, 2011 06:45:33 pm
      ALEX  FERGUSON PLANS TO 'REST
      REFEREE HOWARD WEBB'

Sir Alex Ferguson is planning to rest his star performer Howard Webb to prevent 'a needless injury' after his tireless work in yesterday's FA Cup victory over Liverpool. Webb awarded his own side a penalty, but he stood aside to allow a team mate to take it.

Mr Webb who secured his team's passage into the 4th round of the FA cup is said to be 'exhausted' following his Herculean efforts in providing his side with the winning goal by awarding them a 'completely deserved' penalty after Liverpool's Daniel Agger 'viciously kicked Berbatov in the head with a knife'.

Man United's 12th man Howard Webb, whose dressing room locker is right next to Rio Ferdinand's, said: "Yeah, it's a massive win for the me and the lads. The gaffer told us all in his pre-match talk to get in their faces, and work hard for each other. He reminded me to wait at least an hour before giving us a penalty or it could look suss, but I was just too excited and went for it a few seconds after I blew the starting whistle, however, I did wait a little longer than usual to send Stevie G off, to make up for it.

"I was thinking about taking the penalty myself, but then thought I should let one of the other lads take the glory for a change. It's a team sport after all, and I get embarrassed when people tell me I single-handedly win all the games I get picked to play in."

However, his boss, Alex Ferguson is concerned that if he continues playing his star man in every game he'll pick up a serious injury or may get exhausted towards the business end of the season.

"Howard's a great servant to the club," said Sir Alex. "And he's a real role model for the younger lads. He's always first on the training pitch in the morning and the last to leave. He practices pointing at the spot, and sending opponents off for hours on end. But I fear if he carries on at the same intensity he'll pick up an injury that could see him out for months.

"And that's a risk we can't take. He's just too important for us, his ratio of games played to penalties given is almost one per match, which are amazing stats."

Manchester United's club shop has just released its sales figures which indicate that 'Howard Webb' is now the most requested name on the back of their replica shirts, and that if his popularity grows they may be forced to rename the Stretford End in his honour by changing it to the 'Massive-Bell End', or MBE for short.

Just one of the EMails doing the rounds.

Made me laugh anyway. >:D
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #141: Jan 15, 2011 01:44:36 pm
      Babel shouldn't have posted the image (even though it was funny) but neither should he be as vilified as he is - why is it he has been charged so quickly yet nothing has happened yet about Diouf??

Anyway back to Webb - apparently he is refereeing the derby on Sunday, fingers crossed he will seek to even things up!!

So soon, he's asking to be murdered. Someone go murder him before he gets onto the field. We should all sing in tandem "Scum Slave" throughout the game to remind him who he is.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #142: Jan 15, 2011 01:51:19 pm
      I'm more than highly suspicious if that idiot webb is the referee for tomorrow's game, the 'good for nothing' fa is going to inflict further damage on us, just watch and see. Every move made by the fa related to us is viewed with full sceptism by me. I totally don't trust them at all.  
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #143: Jan 15, 2011 01:54:27 pm
      Phil Dowd will be the referee for the derby unless it was changed since yesterday.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #144: Jan 17, 2011 11:35:20 am
      Babel set for FA Twitter hearing today.

Liverpool's Ryan Babel set for FA Twitter hearing
      Liverpool striker Ryan Babel is due to attend a Football Association hearing on Monday after accepting a charge of improper conduct over a Twitter post.

The Dutch forward linked to a mocked-up picture of referee Howard Webb in a Manchester United shirt after Liverpool lost 1-0 at Old Trafford in the FA Cup.

Babel has been defended over his message on the social networking site.

"I think it was a bit tongue in cheek," said Reds caretaker boss Kenny Dalglish, who is also a Twitter user.

The Scot accepted that Babel should be punished but does not believe he deserves a severe sanction.

"Ryan has to be responsible. If you are going to be on Twitter you have to be responsible," stated Dalglish.

"You know the repercussions if you say or do something which is contentious.

"He never drew it [the picture] up, he just forwarded it on.

"The club will take some action I would have thought and then that should be it for me."

In the FA Cup match on 9 January, Ryan Giggs scored the game's only goal from a second-minute penalty awarded by Webb for Daniel Agger's challenge on Dimitar Berbatov.

Webb later sent off Steven Gerrard in the 32nd minute for a challenge on Michael Carrick. Dalglish labelled the penalty decision "a joke" and also disagreed with the red card for his captain.

Among figures in the game who have defended 24-year-old Babel are Blackpool manager Ian Holloway.
      "I thought it was funny - I thought the ref looked really cool in a Man United shirt to be honest," he commented last week.

"I saw him in the toilet at the match I went to the other night at Stockport. I said 'come on, what sort of game did you have against Man United? Was that a sending off and was that a penalty?'

"We had a bit of a laugh about it but to pick on young Ryan Babel for that - how can you fine him for that? It's rubbish." Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, said the FA had been "too precious" in its reaction to Babel's tweet. "Where's our sense of humour gone in our game? He's apologised, let's move on," he stated.

In addition to posting a link to the doctored picture of Webb, Babel wrote: "And they call him one of the best referees. That's a joke." He subsequently removed the link and wrote an apology on Twitter.

The former Ajax star has more than 180,000 other Twitter users, including an extra 20,000 over the last week, following his updates and his messages - and the offending image was subsequently reproduced by some media outlets.

Babel later wrote on Twitter: "My apology if they take my posted picture seriously. This is just an emotional reaction after losing an important game. Sorry Howard Webb."

He then joked about spending a spell in "Twitter jail" and his previously prolific posts stopped on 9 January.

It is not the first time that a Liverpool member of staff has been drawn into controversy through their use of the website.

The club's head of fitness and conditioning Darren Burgess labelled England "completely amateurish" and "disgraceful" after Gerrard was injured in the 84th minute of an international friendly against France.

Babel's use of the site has also been questioned before, with the player revealing his displeasure at being dropped by then Reds boss Rafael Benitez in a tweet in January 2010.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9363567.stm

Who will break the outcome first and how??

Come on FA, do the right thing.

Anyone remember Francis Lee, showing the Ref that some one dived  by throwing himself on the floor?
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #145: Jan 17, 2011 04:59:23 pm
      Charged 10,000 and given a warning.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #146: Jan 17, 2011 05:03:29 pm
      £10k is a bit much.

Wonder what Rooney be fined for screaming "you F***ing w**ker" in the refs face during the Spurs game yesterday.

Oh wait its Utd nothing will happen.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #147: Jan 17, 2011 05:13:35 pm
      £10k is a bit much.

Wonder what Rooney be fined for screaming "you f**king w**ker" in the refs face during the Spurs game yesterday.

Oh wait its Utd nothing will happen.

10k to much? This ain't the knee-jerk thread. 10k is nothing to footballers. 
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #148: Jan 17, 2011 05:32:32 pm
      It's a lot of money when he shouldn't of got charged in the first place for tweeting the picture.

The FA are a feckin joke!
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #149: Jan 17, 2011 05:37:04 pm
      This is an absolute joke..! How the hell can they justify this?

Players admiting they dive, players screaming at refs, players abusing their own national fans and nothing then posting something someone else did expressing an opinion and a fine?

Is this not against the right for freedom of speech / opinion? I cannot get over how much this stinks!

Like Babel or not this is just wrong!
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #150: Jan 17, 2011 05:39:00 pm
      10k ffs that's mad.
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 14 
      Reply #151: Jan 17, 2011 05:46:38 pm
      10k charged for a tweet?

Are they F***ing mental?

What about ruining one of the most important premier league games; don't they charge for that?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #152: Jan 17, 2011 05:49:24 pm
      Regardless of the fine and that when did we become a country where free speech was a fine-able offence? The internet is littered with mocked up pictures and slanderous comments about people but when the FA step in and start fining people for saying/showing what's on their minds it's a step too far.

We live in a country where people can demonstrate and wish me and my family dead & our soldiers dead in the name of their beliefs and nothing happens but a football player posts a humorous mocked up picture and he gets to lose £10,000 with a tap on the arse for good measure. Madness.

Vive La Revolucion!!
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #153: Jan 17, 2011 05:52:00 pm

Grow up! Just cos they earn a lot doesn't mean they should be fined £10k, if some League 2 footballer did this, they wouldn't be fined £10k, probably wouldn't even be fined.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #154: Jan 17, 2011 05:56:55 pm
      Regardless of the fine and that when did we become a country where free speech was a fine-able offence? The internet is littered with mocked up pictures and slanderous comments about people but when the FA step in and start fining people for saying/showing what's on their minds it's a step too far.

We live in a country where people can demonstrate and wish me and my family dead & our soldiers dead in the name of their beliefs and nothing happens but a football player posts a humorous mocked up picture and he gets to lose £10,000 with a tap on the arse for good measure. Madness.

Vive La Revolucion!!

Exactley my point, this is crazy! Especially concidering what happened on the same day... The FA is just a joke...

Did have a look on their site, but no where to even leave a comment on this article... They should be ashamed of them selfs...
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #155: Jan 17, 2011 05:59:27 pm
      Players are an easy target for raking in money by the FA who are the plaintiff, the judge , the jury and the executioner....Fundament ally corrupt
      LFCexiled
      Reply #156: Jan 17, 2011 06:12:42 pm
      Perspective:

Ryan Bable posts a mocked up picture of Howard Webb in a man utd shirt = £10,000 fine.

lord ferguson of the FA refuses to talk to the BBC after an BBC expose of his football agent son's murky transfer dealings = £5,000 per annum ever since.

One a humorous comment on a referee who has given united 4 Penalties out of his last 6 old toilet 'appearances'.

The other a humourless old tw*t.

The FA may complain about FIFA corruptness but that's one hell of a huge pot calling an equal sized kettle black.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #157: Jan 17, 2011 06:32:34 pm
      I think it's quite funny that by all the fuss that's been made about this, about 10 times as many people must have seen the picture :P

What a joke to be fined for it though! World's going mad
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #158: Jan 17, 2011 06:41:34 pm
      Double standards from the FA, again.

Many comparisons have been made and all are valid.

It will be interesting to see if the FA, appoint any games to Mr Webb at OT or even involving the scum, and if so what happens.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #159: Jan 17, 2011 06:43:25 pm
      Perspective:

Ryan Bable posts a mocked up picture of Howard Webb in a man utd shirt = £10,000 fine.

lord ferguson of the FA refuses to talk to the BBC after an BBC expose of his football agent son's murky transfer dealings = £5,000 per annum ever since.

One a humorous comment on a referee who has given united 4 Penalties out of his last 6 old toilet 'appearances'.

The other a humourless old tw*t.

The FA may complain about FIFA corruptness but that's one hell of a huge pot calling an equal sized kettle black.
      Exactly mate the FA epitomise hypocrisy and the only difference between them and FIFA is that FIFa's misguided rulings affect a lot more people.
      The way they support unflinchingly an official who the world and his wife know to be at fault on a consistent level, is totally farcical and only an organisation equally faulted could allow the situation to continue.
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2011 07:03:59 pm by stuey »
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #160: Jan 17, 2011 06:58:05 pm
      The FA are completely retarded.  For example, was there any punishment for Diouf for abusing a fellow professional with a serious injury?

Quick Reply