Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Would you be satisfied if we finish 5/6th...?

Read 13428 times
      cozza_man_yeah
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      • Ní bheidh tú ag siúl in aonar.
      Re: Would you be satisfied if we finish 5/6th...?
      Reply #115: Jan 12, 2011 07:03:53 pm
      Considering we have had to endure half the season under Roy's management, a misfiring Torres, and the addition of several cobbled together misfits to the squad, and the loss of mascherano......

Finishing 5th/6th would be like falling down a septic tank and coming out smelling of roses.

Agreed.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #116: Jan 12, 2011 08:36:41 pm
      It ain't going to happen this season
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,788 posts | 573 
      Reply #117: Jan 12, 2011 09:50:05 pm
      Yes
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #118: Jan 12, 2011 09:50:30 pm
      After tonight Ha
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #119: Jan 12, 2011 10:23:45 pm
      I just made a nice bet with Manc that we will finsih in TOP 6. What do u really think , can we go from 12th to 6th ?

Holy sh*t :(
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #120: Jan 13, 2011 01:29:51 am
      When we were sitting in the relegation zone I was happy if we finished 15th.....But a 5th or 6th place, this season could be a good thing.

I look at like this.  Every great team or organization must go through a rebuilding and a low point.  This squads issues are for the majority, due to the H&G saga. Unfortunately, even after the sale the team never got back into form and its understandable.

I see it all as a good thing.  The majority of this team, the core, is the same squad that missed a 19th Title in 08-09' by 4 points. We still have Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Carragher, Johnson.  I think we need to bring in 1 or 2 solid players. We need a top 5 world player. I honestly believe that 1 guy, a fresh, ass kicking, scorer can push us back into the top spot. I think they are tired of losing.  I think the dismissal of Rafa took the last bit of energy from the squad and now with Kenny back on the bench and a possible full time position, I really see these guys coming into the 11'-12' season in good spirits, ready to win and were going to see something special next season. 

Call it some sort of cosmic alignment or fate or happenstance or whatever....But Daglish sitting on the bench again is a sign from God.  I think next season we will witness the best season ever and I make this prediction now, If Liverpool have a shot at 19 next year, I will sell everything I own for a plane ticket to Liverpool just to stand outside Anfield on that day. I will sleep in a train station and go homeless for a chance to see the mighty reds play for a Cup or Title. 

Anyone have a couch and blanket for rent? xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #121: Jan 13, 2011 11:10:44 pm
      Iwould be happy if we didn"t get relegated and the longer our misery goes on the closer we"ll get to it , it"s a very real danger look at leeds look at nottingham forest they never came back.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #122: Jan 13, 2011 11:13:59 pm
      Iwould be happy if we didn"t get relegated and the longer our misery goes on the closer we"ll get to it , it"s a very real danger look at leeds look at nottingham forest they never came back.
      Blimey bit merchant of doom there mate,na i would be happy with finishing in the top ten with the season we are having.
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #123: Jan 13, 2011 11:35:33 pm
      I said 6th earlier in the thread but after last night might have to re-assess!! :f_steam:
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #124: Jan 13, 2011 11:38:07 pm
      I'd be doing cart wheels if we finished 5th or 6th.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #125: Jan 13, 2011 11:45:33 pm
      I hate to say this, as aiming for 5th/6th isn't part of a Liverpool fan's DNA. But, right now, I'd be over the moon with 5th/6th!
      ephraim anyanwu
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #126: Jan 14, 2011 12:44:27 pm
      For me i will not be happy,cos we are known as champions,imagine almight LIVERPOOL begging for 5/6th position,it's a shame and rubbish,but all the same half a bake is better nothing.
      At least a hope for uefa cup
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #127: Jan 14, 2011 01:06:38 pm
      I won't be happy until we are challenging for the top position but this season I will be happy getting us above the bottom three, haven't times changed, it was only two years ago that we finished with enough points to win the title in most years but not that year, I would swear we have a curse on us at the moment, everything we do we are getting punished for like at Blackburn, they had three shots on target and scored from them all, against MU a pen that never was, and Blackpool one pass goes astray and they score from it after it ricocheted of Agger, how lucky for them and how unlucky for us.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #128: Jan 14, 2011 01:08:12 pm
      Wouldn't be satisfied, but at the same time I'd accept it with the position we're in at the moment.
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #129: Jan 14, 2011 01:20:45 pm
      When we were sitting in the relegation zone I was happy if we finished 15th.....But a 5th or 6th place, this season could be a good thing.

I look at like this.  Every great team or organization must go through a rebuilding and a low point.  This squads issues are for the majority, due to the H&G saga. Unfortunately, even after the sale the team never got back into form and its understandable.

I see it all as a good thing.  The majority of this team, the core, is the same squad that missed a 19th Title in 08-09' by 4 points. We still have Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Carragher, Johnson.  I think we need to bring in 1 or 2 solid players. We need a top 5 world player. I honestly believe that 1 guy, a fresh, ass kicking, scorer can push us back into the top spot. I think they are tired of losing.  I think the dismissal of Rafa took the last bit of energy from the squad and now with Kenny back on the bench and a possible full time position, I really see these guys coming into the 11'-12' season in good spirits, ready to win and were going to see something special next season. 

Call it some sort of cosmic alignment or fate or happenstance or whatever....But Daglish sitting on the bench again is a sign from God.  I think next season we will witness the best season ever and I make this prediction now, If Liverpool have a shot at 19 next year, I will sell everything I own for a plane ticket to Liverpool just to stand outside Anfield on that day. I will sleep in a train station and go homeless for a chance to see the mighty reds play for a Cup or Title. 

AIMEN TO THAT !
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #130: Jan 14, 2011 01:24:26 pm
      Should we not merge this thread with "Where do you think we will finish 2010/11"??
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #131: Jan 14, 2011 01:29:03 pm
      You can say what you want about the following comment and call me wrong but i think anyone who wouldn't be happy with a top 10 finish is totally deluded. Personally i'll be happy for us just to just stay in the division. All this talk of we have pretty much the same squad that lost the league by 2 points is nonsense. The reality of it is although we do have most of the same players most of them have gone way back. Gerrard doesn't have half as much influence as he did on games anymore. Neither does torres. He's playing like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders all season and doesn't wanna be here. I'm tired of hearing he needs more game time. Is it any coinsidence that these 2 had an unbelievabe season that year and were unplayable?
      As for the rest. Kuyt always offered something andn his boundless energy made up for what he lacked. However whatever small bit of skill he had seems to have gone and he has trouble every game passing to a player in red. He is at this stage a liability. Carragher has got older and i think the evidence is there at the moment how much organisation he brought to our defence over the last few seasons. With him gone we have no natural leader back there. Skrtel is a serious liability at this stage. I had high hopes for him but he's failing badly. If we got a top top quality tough centre half then agger is more than capable. Most of our midfield is ok but only that. Lucas, Raul, Maxi etc. Yes we have some youngsters but can you honestly see shelvey, spearing or Kelly being world class? Good home grown additions, yes but not players to build a future team around.
      As for strikers this is where we're most in trouble. I always defended Babel but he has had enough chances at this stage. Ngog is a good player at best but if our club has serious ambitions for the future he doesn't fit the bill.
      I could go on and on but my point is, while we have all these players how can anybody possibly think that we will we be in the top 2, 3 or 4? Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but reading posts from people saying ' we are liverpool, we shouldn't accept top 6' says to me people are just leaving their hearts rule their heads. None of us want to be in the position we're in but sadly right now in modern day football we are not a force to be reckoned with, not a quality side, don't have a quality squad and have years and years of rebuilding if we want to get back to even champions league stage. That's just my opinion as much as it hurts me to say!
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #132: Jan 14, 2011 01:49:23 pm

I agree with most of what you say. I just think that what makes a Liverpool fan special is the mentality; it is a known fact across the globe that no other stadium can match our atmosphere, and I think because of such reputations we should not be comfortable coming 5/6th no matter the circumstances, I feel the day we do that our tradition may decline.
      One of the reasons I say this as well which I mentioned in another thread is looking at the players we have, Torres, Gerrard, Agger, Reina as the spine of the team, Maxi playing well and Pacheco and Shelvey waiting for their chance. Let’s make a couple of decent signings or loan deals (Just seen SWP and Santa Cruz are allowed out on loans) along with Kenny in charge and let’s fight for this season, we can worry about the next season when it arrives.
      cannuckred
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      • Long way from home, but still bleed Liverpool red
      Reply #133: Jan 14, 2011 09:31:01 pm
      Never thought I would be on a forum discussing if I would be satisfied with 5th or 6th, but given the woeful last few months (and painful to watch), my only thoughts are for KK to make some attitude adjustments to those that need it, get rid of a few players who are not the quality that this club expects, and put us on the best footing possible for us to improve for the following year(s), wether with him at the helm, or a new manager to take us forward to where this club rightfully belongs. But yes, 5th or 6th i would be happy with right now! 
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #134: Jan 15, 2011 03:48:47 am
      I agree with most of what you say. I just think that what makes a Liverpool fan special is the mentality; it is a known fact across the globe that no other stadium can match our atmosphere, and I think because of such reputations we should not be comfortable coming 5/6th no matter the circumstances, I feel the day we do that our tradition may decline.
      One of the reasons I say this as well which I mentioned in another thread is looking at the players we have, Torres, Gerrard, Agger, Reina as the spine of the team, Maxi playing well and Pacheco and Shelvey waiting for their chance. Let’s make a couple of decent signings or loan deals (Just seen SWP and Santa Cruz are allowed out on loans) along with Kenny in charge and let’s fight for this season, we can worry about the next season when it arrives.

I am in no way comfortable with a 5th or 6th place finish. However after what we have gone through this year, the poor form in the boardroom, on the bench and on the pitch a 5th place finish would be a good finish for us. I always want and expect to win and yes your right, we are Liverpool the greatest football club on Earth. No doubt. We expect the best play, we expect to ALWAYS win and we want more Cups. But coming to the realization that this is not a good season and we have played lousy is in no way a cop out or quitting on my team. I will always support Liverpool, ALWAYS.... They could play in the Blue Square Premier League and I would still support and watch the matches.

A lousy season is not always a bad thing. If you can step back from knee jerk reactions and quick decisions and use a bad season as a guide to fix the problems then you can turn a crap year and shitty play into something solid and positive for the next season. Which they did. They played poorly and now we got King Kenny back on the Bench. He wouldn't of been there if we were playing good. So rebuilding and reloading can make for a great future. I would accept a poor season If I thought the benefits outweigh the losses and so far the benefits of a great coach and new ownership are making the season a little better.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #135: Jan 17, 2011 10:56:37 pm
      Fifth place looks like a pipe dream at the miniute. I'd happily take it at the end of the season.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #136: Jan 17, 2011 11:05:07 pm
      I think the more interesting question now is

Would you be disapponted if, after this start, we finish 9th or 10th, or rather relieved ?
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #137: Jan 18, 2011 03:44:13 am
      I think the more interesting question now is

Would you be disapponted if, after this start, we finish 9th or 10th, or rather relieved ?

Rather relieved!

The form we have been showing is none short of woeful and let's be honest if it were to continue we would be relegated! I have some sort of hope things will pick up what with Kenny taking the reigns but we really need to make a few additions. Mainly upfront, on the wings and maybe it would be an idea getting some defenders in who can actually defend because bar Kelly, I havnt seen much decent defending going on this season.

Let's see where the next 5 games with Kenny in charge take us and if we bring in any additions to the squad. 

Realistic hopes this season...top half finish and dare I say it a sneaky Uefa Cup win? ... that would be one way of getting into Europe next season!

Quick Reply