Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Would you be satisfied if we finish 5/6th...?

Read 13431 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Would you be satisfied if we finish 5/6th...?
      Reply #92: Jan 11, 2011 08:07:10 pm
      Its important not to confuse a lack of belief with realism. ...

. ...given the context in which we are approaching this phase of the season.

With Kenny in charge its a whole different picture and as I said in an earlier post if the season started against Blackpool I would put good money on us winning the league. However, that is not the position we are in, we are 12th, it's not a level playing field!

Exactly Doc - 'context'.
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #93: Jan 11, 2011 08:11:55 pm
      We would do seriously well to finish top six, i think top eight would be a good finish at this moment it time -whether i'm still saying this when we overtake Chelsea after winning at Stamford Bridge early Feb, is another matter :f_tongueincheek:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #94: Jan 11, 2011 08:54:13 pm
      OK you and the rest be satisfied with fifth, sixth or wherever. You have a homecoming and welcome the lads home with a fantastic achievement of fifth. I'm sure we'll look back on the season with one of so much joy coming fifth. It'll rank up there as one of our finest hours. Yes, we came fifth. Can't wait for that party.
      Now you are just being totally F***ing ridiculous, bordering on childish DLS.  :roll:

Do you honestly not grasp the notion of 'context'?

In the context of a level playing field, I wouldn't be satisfied with 5th or 6th but. ...The season is more than half gone; we are 19 points adrift - there's the reality, there's your context.

If we were to win all our remaining games it would be a great achievement, irrespective of what you think and irrespective of where we'd finish. You wouldn't be proud and satisfied with Kenny and the team - I would.

So fans believing doesn't affect the season? Fans going the game believing that we'll win, help the side win. Fans believing we'll lose, usually ends up with a side F***ing about in the wrong half of the table.
      :lmao: Buy into that Uri Geller sh*te if you want Billy, it's not for me - being as how I've an IQ higher that a budgie.

Luckily we have a manager who realises that coming fifth or sixth is nothing to be proud of for this club.

Luckily we have a manager who's intelligent enough to understand that if we won every league game from this point and it still wasn't enough to make us champions - he couldn't have done any more.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011 09:08:27 pm by bad boy bubby »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #95: Jan 11, 2011 08:57:33 pm
      OK you and the rest be satisfied with fifth, sixth or wherever. You have a homecoming and welcome the lads home with a fantastic achievement of fifth. I'm sure we'll look back on the season with one of so much joy coming fifth. It'll rank up there as one of our finest hours. Yes, we came fifth. Can't wait for that party.

So fans believing doesn't affect the season? Fans going the game believing that we'll win, help the side win. Fans believing we'll lose, usually ends up with a side f**king about in the wrong half of the table. Fans believing that fifth or sixth is a great achievement for this club makes players believe that's the standard.

Luckily we have a manager who realises that coming fifth or sixth is nothing to be proud of for this club.

You're off your f**king head man.

Bad boy bubba is obviosly referring to what I posted and not what other fans do and don't do at a game. As you know by the way, but you seem to like to twist things so that you look like Superfan to the masses.

Nobody has said on this thread that 5th/6th or whatever is anything to be proud of and nobody wants or expects us to be finishing anything other than first at the 'start' of a season.

This thread is not about beliefs and hopes at the start of a season it is about between now and the end of this season. We are in January and are 12th in the f**king league. I am 110% sure that every fan that has posted on this thread will get behind the team at every single match but at the same time not think the Premiership is going to be ours this year.

Just because some people are realists doesn't make them any less of a supporter than you.

The term satisfied for 6th or above this term when looking back at what could have happened under the previous regime is in this case suitable as it could of been hell of a lot worse if changes in ownership and management had not happened. I would say that I would be more relieved than satisfied TBH.

As I said before, come the start of next season I will (like at the 'start' of this season) be expecting us to challenge for every honour that we are competing for.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #96: Jan 11, 2011 09:04:28 pm
      The goal for this season was to improve on last season. Fifth place would achieve this!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #97: Jan 11, 2011 09:16:10 pm
      Now you are just being totally F***ing ridiculous, bordering on childish DLS.  :roll:

Do you honestly not grasp the notion of 'context'?

In the context of a level playing field, I wouldn't be satisfied with 5th or 6th but. ...The season is more than half gone; we are 19 points adrift - there's the reality, there's your context.

If we were to win all our remaining games it would be a great achievement, irrespective of what you think and irrespective of where we'd finish. You wouldn't be proud of Kenny and the team - I would.

Yes it would be a great achievement if win our remaining games, I would be rather proud of the side that won 19 games left. As I'm proud of any Liverpool win. That still doesn't mean I'd be satisfied with fifth. That still doesn't mean I'd look back on the season with great affection. But hey, if you are satisfied with coming fifth, please yourself. Me, I'm not. By the way yes I do grasp the meaning of context. Thanks for asking.

:lmao: Buy into that Uri Geller sh*te if you want Billy, it's not for me - being as how I've an IQ higher that a budgie.

OK mr superior IQ, you believe that fans going into games with a negative attitude will have a positive affect.

Luckily we have a manager who's intelligent enough to understand that if we won every league game from this point and it still wasn't enough to make us champions - he couldn't have done any more.

If we win every game, then Kenny couldn't of done anymore. But I'll be surprised if Kenny comes out raving about a season where we finish fifth. He'll look at it, and say we're looking forward to next season. Kenny knows coming fifth is no achievement for this club. But if you think it is from this point please yourself.

You're off your f**king head man.

Bad boy bubba is obviosly referring to what I posted and not what other fans do and don't do at a game. As you know by the way, but you seem to like to twist things so that you look like Superfan to the masses.

Nobody has said on this thread that 5th/6th or whatever is anything to be proud of and nobody wants or expects us to be finishing anything other than first at the 'start' of a season.

This thread is not about beliefs and hopes at the start of a season it is about between now and the end of this season. We are in January and are 12th in the f**king league. I am 110% sure that every fan that has posted on this thread will get behind the team at every single match but at the same time not think the Premiership is going to be ours this year.

Just because some people are realists doesn't make them any less of a supporter than you.

The term satisfied for 6th or above this term when looking back at what could have happened under the previous regime is in this case suitable as it could of been hell of a lot worse if changes in ownership and management had not happened. I would say that I would be more relieved than satisfied TBH.

As I said before, come the start of next season I will (like at the 'start' of this season) be expecting us to challenge for every honour that we are competing for.

And another one claiming me to think I believe I'm a superfan because I refuse to give in on my side or manager. If supporting your club and manager makes you a superfan then yes I am. If claiming you're not satisfied with fifth or sixth for your club and think they should be going for first, then yes I am a superfan. But don't get your knickers in a twist because I don't think of myself to be any more of a fan than you or anybody else.

Nobody, other than yourself, is banging about the start of the season's expectations. My expectations at the start of the season was first, on the 12th of January my expectation is first as that is still possible and on the 22nd of May my expectation will still be first, if it's possible. If not, my expectation will be the highest possible finish we can achieve, which at this moment is first. I expect my club to win every game they go into, so I expect us to win every single game remaining this season and give ourselves a chance of winning the League.

But if you're relieved coming fifth, then good for you.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #98: Jan 11, 2011 09:25:20 pm
      Yes it would be a great achievement if win our remaining games, I would be rather proud of the side that won 19 games left. As I'm proud of any Liverpool win. That still doesn't mean I'd be satisfied with fifth. That still doesn't mean I'd look back on the season with great affection. But hey, if you are satisfied with coming fifth, please yourself. Me, I'm not. By the way yes I do grasp the meaning of context. Thanks for asking.

OK mr superior IQ, you believe that fans going into games with a negative attitude will have a positive affect.

If we win every game, then Kenny couldn't of done anymore. But I'll be surprised if Kenny comes out raving about a season where we finish fifth. He'll look at it, and say we're looking forward to next season. Kenny knows coming fifth is no achievement for this club. But if you think it is from this point please yourself.

And another one claiming me to think I believe I'm a superfan because I refuse to give in on my side or manager. If supporting your club and manager makes you a superfan then yes I am. If claiming you're not satisfied with fifth or sixth for your club and think they should be going for first, then yes I am a superfan. But don't get your knickers in a twist because I don't think of myself to be any more of a fan than you or anybody else.

Nobody, other than yourself, is banging about the start of the season's expectations. My expectations at the start of the season was first, on the 12th of January my expectation is first as that is still possible and on the 22nd of May my expectation will still be first, if it's possible. If not, my expectation will be the highest possible finish we can achieve, which at this moment is first. I expect my club to win every game they go into, so I expect us to win every single game remaining this season and give ourselves a chance of winning the League.

But if you're relieved coming fifth, then good for you.

And its that type of unrealistic expectancy that will put un-necessary pressure on our manager.

And for the record I have not give in on the side or the manager and have not wrote anything to suggest otherwise. I just don't expect them to perform the impossible although I do expect it to be attempted with exceptional acts of effort and guille.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011 09:32:07 pm by what-a-hit-son »
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #99: Jan 11, 2011 09:28:52 pm
      First step is to be well clear of the relegation zone ! hopefully we will buy players this month taking the first steps for Kenny's reds, to achieve 5th would be remarkable IMO,given the position we have been left in by Roy's regime, so yes , for this season i would be satisfied with 5th place ,but 4th would be a dream wouldn't it?  >:D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #100: Jan 11, 2011 09:31:49 pm

And its that type of unrealistic expectancy that will put un-necessary pressure on our manager.

How?

Kenny himself will expect nothing but the best from himself and the club. Kenny is used to managing high expectations. And I'm positive Kenny expects us to win every game from here on in as well.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #101: Jan 11, 2011 09:46:58 pm

To be fair I did state it is only superior to a budgie. ...I'll put it another way; positive/negative thinking - it's mumbo jumbo sh*te!

In your short life you have never been satisfied with respect to the league; i'm lucky enough to have both actually witnessed the greats and tasted satisfaction.

Every season I expect to witness another league championship win - that expectation has never diminished and never will but strangely my belief hasn't been rewarded. Maybe because it takes something more tangible and less abstract than mere belief to win a title.

Listen; we ain't going to agree as we're approaching the topic and the thread from different angles and as you're unable or unwilling to understand the context in which the question was posed. ...i'm out. Good luck.

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011 09:54:07 pm by bad boy bubby »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #102: Jan 11, 2011 10:07:13 pm
      How?

Kenny himself will expect nothing but the best from himself and the club. Kenny is used to managing high expectations. And I'm positive Kenny expects us to win every game from here on in as well.

"The fans know that they're as equally important as we are, not just for Sunday's game but for every game. We might lose a game - not necessarily on Sunday - or we might not play too well and that's when we need their support."

"I am sure our people will respond if we go out there and they see that our lads are proud to play and that they'll do their best for Liverpool Football Club."

"We'll do our best to get the results that they all want, we won't always be successful and to be perfectly realistic I think we have to say 'Lets just start walking before we can run.' Lets not go crazy here and think the season changes and we're going to sweep everything aside now and go undefeated from now to the end of the season"

Kenny Dalglish 8th January 2011 - Legend and realist.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011 10:24:49 pm by what-a-hit-son »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #103: Jan 11, 2011 11:23:23 pm
      Satisfied? No.

However qualifying for the Champions League now would take an unbelievable run of form. Let's see how the Blackpool and Everton games go.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #104: Jan 11, 2011 11:31:10 pm
      Satisfied? No.

However qualifying for the Champions League now would take an unbelievable run of form. Let's see how the Blackpool and Everton games go.

Satisfies in general terms - no.

In the circumstances though? Absolutely Yes. Restore a small amount of pride and technically improve on last season's 7th.

CL is probably out of the question now barring collapse by Spurs or Chelsea's poor run continuing.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #105: Jan 11, 2011 11:47:07 pm
      "The fans know that they're as equally important as we are, not just for Sunday's game but for every game. We might lose a game - not necessarily on Sunday - or we might not play too well and that's when we need their support."

"I am sure our people will respond if we go out there and they see that our lads are proud to play and that they'll do their best for Liverpool Football Club."

"We'll do our best to get the results that they all want, we won't always be successful and to be perfectly realistic I think we have to say 'Lets just start walking before we can run.' Lets not go crazy here and think the season changes and we're going to sweep everything aside now and go undefeated from now to the end of the season"

Kenny Dalglish 8th January 2011 - Legend and realist.

And Kenny is still sending them out with the expectation of winning every game. That's Kenny's mentality. He knows we won't win every game, but he'll send the boys out expecting to win them.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #106: Jan 12, 2011 10:13:00 am
      And Kenny is still sending them out with the expectation of winning every game. That's Kenny's mentality. He knows we won't win every game, but he'll send the boys out expecting to win them.

As bad boy wrote not worth persisting.  You are looking at everything that written in this thread and then twisting it to boost your own ego.

For that reason, I too, am out  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:.
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #107: Jan 12, 2011 03:31:17 pm
      I just made a nice bet with Manc that we will finsih in TOP 6. What do u really think , can we go from 12th to 6th ?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #108: Jan 12, 2011 04:09:10 pm
      I just made a nice bet with Manc that we will finsih in TOP 6. What do u really think , can we go from 12th to 6th ?

In short, yes. So many teams taking points off each other this season that one good run can change the table considerably.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #109: Jan 12, 2011 04:33:38 pm
       If we finish 5/6 I would be very happy, we have a team that are capable but they need to start playing.
       At this moment in time considering how poor some of our players have been I believe 5/6 is probably beyond us.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #110: Jan 12, 2011 04:40:14 pm
      Certainly must improve on our away form, if we are contemplating on finishing in the top 6. Still anything is possible the way the league table stands. I would be more than satisfied with a top 6 finish. Throw in the Europa trophy as well!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #111: Jan 12, 2011 04:47:32 pm
      D.L.S.
      Have massive respect for your posts and knowledge.
      Perhaps Im too gnarled in the tooth ... but I too really believe and wish for everything you say.

If we can get rid of the deadwood and make some clever purchases then, I do have the faith, that we can go for the title in 2011-12.

That is irrespective of the City money.
      I can speculate on Chelsea being an ageing team and I can further speculate on the Mancs being bound up with money constraints.

What everyone is saying is that however we hope and we dream ...... the actual ability to come first with half the season gone would be near miraculous..if not near impossible and I am sure you will still believe we can ..... until that is a facht ...that we cant.

No matter what Kenny's skills are, everything needs to be turned around and Liverpool FC was a f*..ing big tanker going in the wrong direction. It doesnt stop or turn around in just five minutes.

I have supported this club from the sixties. I may be physically sick if Utd do get No. 19 especially in a season when everyone has been misfiring.
      When you look to other clubs to prevent it and get miserable because the Chavs dropped another game or the Arse drew. Oh Come on?
      When you cant do the Prediction League on the forum because with Hodgson how could you place a positive score...there was nothing positive about him.

I was brought up in the Shankly era as was Billy and other forum members.
      We all Know Shankly's creed of "First is first and ..... "
      That is how he built our dynasty.

However. Shankly was a visionary but not a dreamer.

His background meant he came from the real world.
      That is what we are dealing with. The Real World.

I wouldn't be happier than to win league in May. If KD got us into a CL place in just half a season then he has worked a miracle.
      Ive already posted that I believe Kenny can do with half a season .... what Rafa couldn't do and Hodgson was never going to do in a whole one.

Be patient.

I.K.W.T.
      njny_scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts |
      Reply #112: Jan 12, 2011 04:49:44 pm
      I'd be satisfied with 5th/6th right now, but if you'd asked me this prior to the season, I'd probably have said no.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #113: Jan 12, 2011 05:18:04 pm
      Considering we have had to endure half the season under Roy's management, a misfiring Torres, and the addition of several cobbled together misfits to the squad, and the loss of mascherano......

Finishing 5th/6th would be like falling down a septic tank and coming out smelling of roses.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #114: Jan 12, 2011 06:09:07 pm
      D.L.S.
      Have massive respect for your posts and knowledge.
      Perhaps Im too gnarled in the tooth ... but I too really believe and wish for everything you say.

If we can get rid of the deadwood and make some clever purchases then, I do have the faith, that we can go for the title in 2011-12.

That is irrespective of the City money.
      I can speculate on Chelsea being an ageing team and I can further speculate on the Mancs being bound up with money constraints.

What everyone is saying is that however we hope and we dream ...... the actual ability to come first with half the season gone would be near miraculous..if not near impossible and I am sure you will still believe we can ..... until that is a facht ...that we cant.

No matter what Kenny's skills are, everything needs to be turned around and Liverpool FC was a f*..ing big tanker going in the wrong direction. It doesnt stop or turn around in just five minutes.

I have supported this club from the sixties. I may be physically sick if Utd do get No. 19 especially in a season when everyone has been misfiring.
      When you look to other clubs to prevent it and get miserable because the Chavs dropped another game or the Arse drew. Oh Come on?
      When you cant do the Prediction League on the forum because with Hodgson how could you place a positive score...there was nothing positive about him.

I was brought up in the Shankly era as was Billy and other forum members.
      We all Know Shankly's creed of "First is first and ..... "
      That is how he built our dynasty.

However. Shankly was a visionary but not a dreamer.

His background meant he came from the real world.
      That is what we are dealing with. The Real World.

I wouldn't be happier than to win league in May. If KD got us into a CL place in just half a season then he has worked a miracle.
      Ive already posted that I believe Kenny can do with half a season .... what Rafa couldn't do and Hodgson was never going to do in a whole one.

Be patient.

I.K.W.T.

Look mate, I know all too well where people are coming from. I understand people what are saying and why they're saying it but never will I be satisfied with fifth or sixth, especially half way through a season. My expectations of this club is to be the best, that's how I was brought up. And while it is still possible to be the best in England this season, I'll believe we'll be the best. I'm not throwing in the towel and accepting that what's possible, isn't. Regardless of how unrealistic it may seem.

I've stated many a time how this club has overcome the odds. If there's any club that is gonna achieve this, it's our club. We never stop believing right? If, it becomes reality that we can't win the League this year and yes that day probably will arrive, then I'll believe we'll come second and so on and so on. With only half the season gone, I refuse to be satisfied with fifth or sixth despite it being probably the worst half of a season in our history.

I'm from the real world, I know realistically the League won't be heading to Anfield this year. But I'm not gonna be satisfied with fifth or sixth. And despite the realistic chances, there's no certainty that the League won't be heading to Anfield so I have reason to believe. And believe I will. (Sorry mate, I've just realised I'm being a superfan by saying that. Don't take this as me looking down on you - I know you won't but others do)

Quick Reply