Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Steve Clarke leaves Liverpool FC

Read 24528 times
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Steve Clarke leaves Liverpool FC
      Jan 10, 2011 01:16:03 pm
      Liverpool FC announced today that Steve Clarke has joined the club as first-team coach.

Clarke, who played over 500 senior games for St Mirren and Chelsea, also brings with him considerable experience as Assistant Manager at Newcastle United, Chelsea and West Ham United.

Reds' boss Kenny Dalglish said: "Steve is a great addition to our backroom team and I'm delighted we've been able to bring him into the club.

"I am looking forward to working with Steve alongside Sammy and our other technical staff."

SOURCE: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/steve-clarke-joins-liverpool

Thoughts? Personally, I think it's a great appointment!

Update 6/6/12 - Steve Clarke hands in resignation and leaves the club.
      « Last Edit: Jun 06, 2012 07:27:21 pm by Reslivo »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Steve Clarke joins Liverpool FC
      Reply #1: Jan 10, 2011 01:21:09 pm
       It's an interesting one this, particularly as no doubt people will be aware that he knows that Boaz bloke very well and put two and two together. I don't know if there's anything in that, but Clarke is obviously very well thought of from his time at both Chelsea and West Ham. Obviously the Mike Whatsisname who was Hodgsons sidekick will have to go anyway, and Clarke is a very sensible replacement IMHO.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #2: Jan 10, 2011 01:45:56 pm
      Ex Chelsea players on our coaching staff now. But Clarke is one of the most respected coaches in the game. Kenny might have a few links with him through Scotland.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: Jan 10, 2011 01:51:59 pm
      Always respected Clarke from his Chelsea days, then he followed Gianfranco to West Ham I think.

Hope he does well here.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4: Jan 10, 2011 01:52:25 pm
      He's well thought of by the look of things.

Seems like a good appointment to me - nice little change that might just do the trick.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Jan 10, 2011 01:53:32 pm
      I'm happy with it, from what I've read Pepe had Mike Kelly thrust up on him by Purslow after been promised he could choose his own goal keeping coach, so for that reason I think its best all around as their is obviously a difference of cultures and styles just there.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #6: Jan 10, 2011 01:57:19 pm
      If Kenny agrees with it, so do I.
      Ann_Field
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts |
      Reply #7: Jan 10, 2011 02:00:58 pm
      Ex Chelsea players on our coaching staff now. But Clarke is one of the most respected coaches in the game. Kenny might have a few links with him through Scotland.

We had a Chelsea season ticket holder on our board least year.....remember what a brilliant job he did, ridding us of H & G??   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #8: Jan 10, 2011 02:02:59 pm
      I'm sure he'll do alright, he has been a success in most of the previous positions he has held.
      one thing's for sure, if he doesn't cut the mustard, Kenny won't keep him hanging around, though he must have a lot of confidence in his ability to sound him out in the first place. Good move I think.

Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #9: Jan 10, 2011 02:12:58 pm
      Sounds good on paper, at least he has coached a league winning side.
      Tadders

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #10: Jan 10, 2011 02:22:33 pm
      This looks good and will hopefully put an end to the 'he's been out of the game too long bollox' Clarke is right up there as a number 2.
      Very positive.
      Mike Kelly needs to do one and quick.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: Jan 10, 2011 02:23:43 pm
      I remember reading somewhere that Kenny does little (if any) coaching, and relies heavily on his coaches to transfer his ideas onto the pitch. Clarke is a well respected coach and must be someone that Kenny thinks he can trust, if Kenny's happy so am I.

Possibly a longer term appointment than Kenny's, so could be a clue as to our next manager as he has connections to a couple of the possible candidates.
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2011 02:52:07 pm by s@int »
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #12: Jan 10, 2011 02:36:19 pm
      Rumours are getting stronger that Thommo will join the coaching staff too.
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #13: Jan 10, 2011 03:02:01 pm
      Welcome to LFC Steve !

Ive heard from Chelsea fans that he did a very good work at Chelsea and he is a real diamond. They are jealous ;)
      A-BoY
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      • Born As a RED, Live As a RED, Die As a RED
      Reply #14: Jan 10, 2011 03:03:15 pm
      It keeps getting better and better... First we get on of our own top class manager back, now we are getting a piece of "The Special One", Lfc is on its way of becoming the complete armory it was before, i just cant wait to see Liverpool in action once all the pieces of the puzzle is in correct order...Once its done, its going to be us all the way babe...Liverpool always.
      DumDore
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #15: Jan 10, 2011 03:11:48 pm
      good addition to the staff
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: Jan 10, 2011 03:28:24 pm
      Clarke could not resist Reds
      Dalglish's new coach delighted to be working with a 'football great'
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6649113,00.html

Last updated: 10th January 2011   

New Liverpool first-team coach Steve Clarke admits that the offer to work at Anfield was too good to turn down.

The Scot, alongside veteran Sammy Lee, will work under compatriot and manager Kenny Dalglish following his appointment until the end of the season.

Clarke's arrival is the first major move of the new regime at Liverpool as the club attempts to stabilise following Saturday's departure of Roy Hodgson.
      And, despite his years as assistant to Jose Mourinho at Chelsea, when a fierce club rivalry was formed against Liverpool, the former 47-year-old is relishing the opportunity.

Warm welcome

Having been out of work since leaving a role as assistant at West Ham in the summer of 2010, Clarke told Liverpool's official website: "I was sat at home doing nothing and now I've got the chance of working with a football great in Kenny Dalglish and also working for one of the world's leading football clubs.

"This was something I couldn't turn down."

Clarke spent Monday morning working with Dalglish and the Liverpool squad at the club's Melwood training ground in preparation for Wednesday's trip to Blackpool.
      "I am grateful for everybody who has given me such a warm welcome, especially all those here at Melwood," he said.

"I am really looking forward to working with Kenny and the rest of the staff to help bring good times back to the club."
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #17: Jan 10, 2011 04:16:44 pm
      Welcome Steve,really looking forward to rest of the season. YNWA
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 10, 2011 04:30:39 pm
      Very shrewd move. Look forward to seeing his influence on the squad. He's upto speed with the latest training methods etc and of course involved with a Premiership winning team. Bodes well.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #19: Jan 10, 2011 04:37:25 pm
      CLARKEY!!!

Welcome to the best club in the world.
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #20: Jan 10, 2011 04:40:36 pm
      Awesome appointment, he has a superb C.V. in addition King Kenny has really not been at the training ground for a while, we needed someone top of the line in the boot room thats exactly what we got now, I hope we will see less pictures of players fooling around on stability balls.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Jan 10, 2011 05:00:39 pm
      Kenny says that Clarke was phoned in the afternoon and was up at Melwood the next morning.

Such is the lure of Liverpool KD said.

True.

"To be fair to Steve he was phoned last night and he was up here for training this morning - which tells you the lure Liverpool football club has to someone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9353787.stm
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #22: Jan 10, 2011 05:20:39 pm
      fair play, has good reputation and if kenny wants him, so do i. if kenny wanted pol pot, i'd back him damnit.

Quick Reply