Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

An alternative theory?

Read 4778 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: An alternative theory?
      Reply #23: Jan 11, 2011 06:16:45 pm
      Not a possibility, for me. Great theory though and your right that he helped save the club - accidentally in my view.

He wanted a PR lackey to help ease the tension in the media and Hodgson fit the bill to perfection. He underplayed their F**k-ups and told us everything was alright, like the bi*ch of a man he is (Hodgson). Purslow needed someone like that.

With Kenny, there would be no if's and but's. If he was here and things weren't working, it's H&G under the spotlight - Kenny is too big a Liverpool icon to berate. Attention would shift much more than under Rafa.

So in saying that, Purslow wanted someone to help him and the previous owners.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24: Jan 11, 2011 06:32:11 pm
      I think by the time Hodgson was appointed, the Anger and frustration towards Hicks and Gillette was so great, that even the appointment of Jesus (are who ever your own equivalent saviour is) wouldn't have saved them from the tide of hate directed against them.
      While fans might have been happy with Kenny's return back then, it would not have diverted attention away from the raping of our club.

As for Perslow, He wouldn't have the brains to purposely do something like that
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #25: Jan 11, 2011 07:40:51 pm
      Just thinking about I agree.

The Yanks would have used Kenny as a PR stunt showing how much they "cared" for the club and possible clueless fans, would have thanked them for the great appointment.

Purslow probably didnt do this on purpose but it definitely worked out. Not so sure if Kenny was appointed that they still would be here though. Think NESV would have come in regardless.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #26: Jan 11, 2011 08:35:44 pm
      I think by the time Hodgson was appointed, the Anger and frustration towards Hicks and Gillette was so great, that even the appointment of Jesus (or who ever your own equivalent saviour is).........

As a devout Atheist I have to say that my particular saviour at this time is Kenny Dalglish. ;)
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #27: Jan 11, 2011 09:01:42 pm
      As a devout Atheist I have to say that my particular saviour at this time is Kenny Dalglish. ;)
      That's a fair point. After all Kenny has returned, I'm still waiting on Jesus!! ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #28: Jan 11, 2011 10:23:26 pm
      But imagine if Kenny had been given the job back then.

Would our fury have been maintained against the owners?   Would we have fought so strongly at the sign of Hicks and Gillett attempting refinancing?  Would Dalglish's 'status' have been clouded by being a PR exercise of the former owners?  Would some less intelligent fans have heralded Hicks and Gillett's excellent decision and even given them some support?  Would the marches have been as effective?

I think the only thing that would be really likely is the less intelligent fans heralding Hick's & Gillett's decision as a masterstroke. Because let's face it, right up until near the end there was even people still posting on here who did not recognise the danger of Hicks & Gillett and thought that ousting Benitez was a far far more important issue. Never mind some of the beauts who call radio phone in's.

I don't think the general fury towards the then owners would have weakened as the majority of us have our heads screwed on and could see them for what they were and what they were doing to our club - regardless of what manager was brought in. Again, whether Dalglish was the manager or not, there still would have been a fight against the refinancing as the majority of us knew it was certain doom if more debt was constantly being placed on the club.

The 'status' of Dalglish being clouded? Maybe. I think it's six of one and half a dozen of another. Although it would more likely be the media trying their best to cloud it. No doubt it would have been a PR stunt in the Hicks & Gilletts mind. But Dalglish's status could never be clouded in my mind.

As for the marches, maybe more people would have joined in on them if it was Dalglish the owners weren't giving money to.

On the whole, I don't think Dalglish being appointed in the summer would have made all that much difference in the grand scheme of things. There would have been a load of optimism at the beginning of the season, but the reality of the situation would have stamped it's doom all over it soon enough. The banks wanted their money back and also the fans knew the then owners were deadly to the survival of the club. If anything, it easily could have galvanised more of an atack on the owners because we wanted the best for Kenny.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #29: Jan 12, 2011 11:48:15 am
      If anything the hypotheyical appointment of Mr Dalglish by H&G would have provoked even more fury from the more enlightened supporters who would have seen such a tactic as deceit at a new depth.
      The only possible reason for such a gameplan would be to attempt to placate the more gullible while throwing our hero to the lions without a paddle and with his arse in the air.
      They must have realised that the implications of such treachery were not worth contemplating and opted for an obvious stooge.

carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #30: Jan 12, 2011 02:05:25 pm

i vaguely remember him as an eight or nine year old sitting in the dug out with that look of pure determination, he looks a lot more relaxed nowdays and its just brilliant to see that smile across his face everytime someone refers to him as the liverpool manager :)

What was Kenny doing in the LFC dugout at 8 years old....and how old does that make you?!?!?!   ;-)
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #31: Jan 12, 2011 02:24:03 pm
      Don't buy it. Read my post in the Purslow thread which came from Slaughter and May. They detailed all the events and its not as interesting as al this. MB, RBS and the lawyers set about an agenda backed up by the legal team. NESV were just the best candidates, they demanded little and offered in return little. Go to companies house and you can find when due diligence began, Rafa was long gone so the timing is very wrong, the board had not whittled the 1st round of bids yet.

If you Google the press started the Hodgson for Liverpool stories  in April, when MB came in and the board reconstructed. Purslow and his media mates pushed the Hodgson agenda and as Debs pointed out in another thread Hodgson discussed signing Cole with Roy before he took the job. We cancelled the Chamaka deal as a result.

Purslow fu**ed up and by accident Kenny is back.

Also let's not forget Rafa and Roy has cost us £13million total shambles.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #32: Jan 12, 2011 05:51:17 pm
      I think it is sheer dumb luck.

But if they had given Kenny the Job back then I guess we would be having a better season and the dead wood Hodgson signed would not be wearing Red. Plus someones Mum's Facebook account would still be open.

Would we have been sold? We can only speculate, but probally as MB & RBS would have still been around, then yes.

redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #33: Jan 13, 2011 07:01:04 am
      Gave him no credit at all for the selling of the club to FSG. He only changed side when the power shifted away from H & G. 95% of the blame for the mess that we are currently in can be attributed to one Mr. Puslow, the slimiest c**t of all the snakes that have so nearly wrecked and destroyed our great club ever since we were bought by those 2 conmen in 2007.

1) 13 millions getting rid of Rafa & roy
      2) 10 millions pounds on Poulsen & Konchesky
      3) 90k salary on Joe Cole plus a hefty signing on fee
      4) Aquilani loan to Juventus and a loss of 5 millions if they sign him end of season

Imagine if we have given all that wasted money for Rafa to spend in 2009.
      « Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011 07:07:11 am by redpool »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #34: Jan 13, 2011 08:37:11 am
      Its all to see thst it has been detrimental to the club by purslow removing rafa, that act alone has set us back 10 years and also the heavy asset stripping he loved.

Quick Reply