Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Ryan Babel (LFC -> Hoffenheim. Now Fulham)

Read 223335 times
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Re: Ryan Babel
      Reply #23: Aug 24, 2007 09:21:28 am
      I've got a feeling that one day he'll be an Arsenal player. He doesn't look the slightest interest in kicking a ball for Liverpool, I've seen him play now and he hasn't worked his arse off for us! At least Torres has showed slight emotion!

Ryan Babel did also say in late June that one day he'll be an Arsenal player, this I don't like. I've got a feeling he's at the wrong club, his attitude on the pitch is awful.

Disagree with me and call me an idiot if you like, but you'll find out sooner or later and then we can bump this post!

Daft post this one to be honest. You cant judge the lad on a few subs appearances, but then again he almost came up with the winner for us against the chavs. He has pace great ball control and he beats players, personnally I think he is a valuable asset to the team and should start on Sat against Keans lot of Stripey Curtains.
      I think your assumptions are based on what someone has printed in an internet article or sports press, and he has been quoted well out of context off the top of my head I think he actually said something like "I would have liked to play for Arsenal or Liverpool but whoever I get to play for I will do my best" Something along those lines if memory serves.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #24: Aug 24, 2007 09:29:10 am
      Daft post this one to be honest. You cant judge the lad on a few subs appearances, but then again he almost came up with the winner for us against the chavs. He has pace great ball control and he beats players, personnally I think he is a valuable asset to the team and should start on Sat against Keans lot of Stripey Curtains.
      I think your assumptions are based on what someone has printed in an internet article or sports press, and he has been quoted well out of context off the top of my head I think he actually said something like "I would have liked to play for Arsenal or Liverpool but whoever I get to play for I will do my best" Something along those lines if memory serves.

Leave it out, he just admitted he was wrong in the last post, no need to stick the boot in.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #25: Aug 24, 2007 09:43:07 am
      I just said I thought Babel was lacking heart because he just didn't look interested when he was on the pitch. However I was wrong, a young player joining a big club takes a lot of guts and his confidence must of been low. I think he will do brilliant for us, but he needs games to boost his confidence up first!

I don't know if this post can be discussed further on as I've admitted I was wrong...
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #26: Aug 24, 2007 01:58:41 pm

As Shakespeare once said, fair play.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #27: Aug 24, 2007 02:05:01 pm
      As Shakespeare once said, fair play.

Daft post this one to be honest. How can you prove what words came out of Shakespeare's mouth? I think your assumptions are based on what someone has printed in an internet article or the press, and he has been quoted well out of context off the top of my head I think he actually said something like 'play fair' Something along those lines if memory serves.

The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #28: Aug 24, 2007 03:31:29 pm
      Daft post this one to be honest. How can you prove what words came out of Shakespeare's mouth? I think your assumptions are based on what someone has printed in an internet article or the press, and he has been quoted well out of context off the top of my head I think he actually said something like 'play fair' Something along those lines if memory serves.

Leave it out no need to stick the boot in!!! Your only Jealous of my superior intellect and good looks and I can prove my assumptions ask your wife(girlfriend)... but not your boyfriend (thats if you have one of course) lmao ;D

Anyway didnt see the post to be honest that last one as I must have been posting at the same time or something. Or maybe it was too early in the morning..
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #29: Aug 24, 2007 03:55:03 pm
      Youve got to give the guy a chance,how can you judge him on bit parts in a couple of pre-season games-Do you think Rafa will accept a half hearted attitude.You and I both know he wont.

spot on redman. i think Liverpool fans are becoming far too quick to want to write players off or put them down the lads been here a few weeks in a new city with new teammates and hes only 19.

And for the person who said hell end up at Arsenal well if he does itll be because he wasnt good enough for us

i personaly think hell be a quality signing in the long term
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #30: Aug 26, 2007 11:03:06 am
      He looked fab in the first half, showed some skills but in the 2nd half he was anonymous apart from that link up play with Pennant when Voronin scored the 2nd goal. He looks like a great counter attacking type player, give him time!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #31: Aug 26, 2007 10:01:56 pm
      I still beleive he's the one to watch this season he shows great pace and determination in the game something that we have not really had for a few seasons, he has a mean strike too which lets us have more support for the strikers.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #32: Aug 26, 2007 10:06:10 pm
      I didn't think he had a great game.  But for your first taste of the Premiership, playing against a new promoted side is tough.  They didn't give him a second on the ball.

I believe he will be a great player in the future, just needs to adapt to the premiership.

give him time
      adam17
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #33: Aug 26, 2007 10:16:05 pm
      I agree, he looks sharp. It'll just take him that first goal to settle and time to adapt to the league and then i reckon he'll be class.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34: Aug 27, 2007 01:35:40 am
      We got our hands on our new version of Digger....direct, strong, efficient, aware and a huge amount of potential. saying all that I can see why Ra Ra rafa said that he looked a little disinterested.....think that is just the way he carries himself, his demeanor.

Thought he looked ok today. Nothing too impressive but thats a good start rather than a stinker or a stonking performance that will add too much pressure.....now if we can get him to wear some stupidly tight shorts like the genius himself wore he'll be bound to suceed sooner
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #35: Nov 07, 2007 12:01:25 am
      Looking more at home as a striker than on the wing? Do we have five proper strikers?

I really like the way he runs across the face of the box, you don't know if he's going to shoot or lay it out wide. But when he shoots, it's usually with venom. He knows where to position himself as well.....

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #36: Nov 07, 2007 12:39:53 am
      That was his position.  He would much prefer to play there but he accepted when he signed that Rafa may use him on the right wing.

It's a bit like Thierry Henry but in reverse.

I think he is best up front, for now.  Maybe as he gets used to the English game he may develop the confidence to play as a winger?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #37: Nov 07, 2007 12:57:31 am
      Exactly. That was his position. Just wondering if 'was' should be turned back to 'is' for the time being. Reckon he'd be more dangerous.

You're right saying it's a bit like Thierry Henry but in reverse though. If he could end up as good on the wing as Henry was up front, I'd be chuffed!
      torreson
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -6 
      Reply #38: Nov 07, 2007 01:25:35 am
      Yeah... finally he scored as a striker!!! Rafael, do u believe ur eye? he is a sharp and powerful striker!! please put him in front! not winger!
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #39: Nov 07, 2007 07:39:56 am
      I'm extremely happy about the way he played and glad hes got on the scoresheet once more, hes obviously getting more confidence. good for you lad. but id like to see him in the striker role more often than a winger as i don't think thats what his best position is. voronin played better assisting, maybe Rafa will start and look at how good this combonation of players did and we can keep this form flowing.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #40: Nov 07, 2007 07:54:45 am
      Wow he show some real pace when he was playing upfront when Crouch played that through ball to him and he was running backwards and still had time to turn around and make a challenge for the ball (he was still offside anyway).

He's got a great first touch and a great shot on him......I can see why Van Basten calls him the next Henry

And also.....I think I might of seen him smile when he scored that goals, even if it was only for about a second.................. he never smiles.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #41: Nov 07, 2007 06:02:11 pm
      Babel looked quality, he is NOT a waste of money like ManUre fans might say. He looks like a waste when playing on the wings but Babel is not a winger. He is quick and powerful which wingers are not.. they are quick but not powerful.

Babel is a striker, I've never seen him play that well until he was given that role and service!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #42: Nov 07, 2007 06:07:36 pm
      Nice to see you here Rarafa as the rest of the negative gang haven't yet turned up!

I do feel that we need to give him much more opportunities as a striker before the January window!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #43: Nov 08, 2007 08:11:35 am
      Babel looked quality, he is NOT a waste of money like ManUre fans might say.

G'day Ra Ra, what do those gloryhunting Manure pricks say about him? We don't get to hear the banter down here.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #44: Nov 08, 2007 08:33:44 am
      Im confused, i dont like being confused. Why did Rafa bring in Babel as a winger when hes obviously better at being a striker? i dont know if its just me or does Voronin look better as a midfeilder or deeplying than right up front? not bagging him BTW, hes great.

im off soon lads, boys be round son for   :food-smiley-004:  :food-smiley-005: :action-smiley-035:
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #45: Nov 08, 2007 08:40:49 am
      Im confused, I dont like being confused. Why did Rafa bring in Babel as a winger when hes obviously better at being a striker? I dont know if its just me or does Voronin look better as a midfeilder or deeplying than right up front? not bagging him BTW, hes great.

im off soon lads, boys be round son for   :food-smiley-004:  :food-smiley-005: :action-smiley-035:

Good point about Veronin! Totally agree.

Quick Reply