Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Ryan Babel (LFC -> Hoffenheim. Now Fulham)

Read 223376 times
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Re: Ryan Babel
      Reply #46: Nov 08, 2007 09:28:06 am
      Indeed, Ukraine occasionally play him in the center midfield, or as a supporting striker.

Though at this rate...one striker seemingly has to go...can't be Torres...Babel...or crouch....either Voronin or Kuyt IMO.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #47: Nov 08, 2007 12:01:08 pm
      If Crouch keeps up this form, he won't be going anywhere...

Riise and one other to go in Jan... and IMO I think it will be Momo...
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #48: Nov 09, 2007 12:32:43 am
      Babel...seems to be far more effective at striker than on the wings...therefore one of voronin and kuyt has to go...and we subsequently need a new winger.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #49: Nov 28, 2007 04:29:19 am
      wait till next season or later this season when the pitches improve again....he is going to be world class player for us.....just want to see him develop an understanding with Torres.....
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #50: Nov 28, 2007 08:32:06 am
      Ryan Babbel - Tierry Henry in disguise?
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #51: Nov 28, 2007 09:13:53 am
      Ryan Babbel - Tierry Henry in disguise?

You know I think he has got that ability and flair and already valued @ £11m! not bad for a 20 yr old Dutch lad (or Hollandish for yorkie)
      « Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007 09:16:17 am by AJ »
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #52: Nov 28, 2007 09:19:00 am
      Well 4 goals in 17 games is a start...if he gets 10 this season then surely a position upfront would bring more?
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #53: Nov 28, 2007 10:07:51 am
      I've got a feeling that one day he'll be an Arsenal player. He doesn't look the slightest interest in kicking a ball for Liverpool, I've seen him play now and he hasn't worked his arse off for us! At least Torres has showed slight emotion!

Ryan Babel did also say in late June that one day he'll be an Arsenal player, this I don't like. I've got a feeling he's at the wrong club, his attitude on the pitch is awful.

Disagree with me and call me an idiot if you like, but you'll find out sooner or later and then we can bump this post!

I also have to disagree and call you and idiot. He did well for us against the jordies on Saturday, and I feel he is still settling in.
      Dont forget some younger players always need a little more time to settle. From what Ive seen of him in flashes he does show real promise, but he is still young, only ever been at Ajax since a kid I think so when you are asked at a younger age to uproot and move to a new country this can sometimes be a hard on young players. I would argue Torres was the same when he first came, the first couple of preseason games he did not look happy at all, but seems to have settled a bit quicker, probably due to his more mature outlook. Another thing to note is the way he is asked to play all over the place which could be why he has taken that extra time to settle, Torres on the other hand knew where he was going to start with. As redman so plainly put it give the guy a chance if you want to berrate someone save it for someone at the SCUM game like Chris Eagles, now theres a lad who likes his hair more than his game.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #54: Nov 28, 2007 10:19:44 am
      I thought he has stepped it up the last couple of matches.

So much about football is confidence, particularly at such a young age and with the price tag over his head that must weigh like a ton.

I have personally been hard on Ryan, asking for him to deliver the goods earlier... I think he is coming good and will be a force from now to the end of the season.

I could be wrong, but I want him (as I do all LFC players) to do well.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #55: Nov 28, 2007 11:37:23 am
      Marco van basten described him as having the potential to be the next thierry henry. I can definitely see that as a justified statement from what I've seen so far from babel.

because:

-both never shoot more than a few inches wide or over.
      -both have an amazing first touch
      -both have great close control
      -both have great pace but dont rely on it
      -both are 6 feet tall, black and bald ;)
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #56: Nov 28, 2007 11:45:05 am
      Definetly a star for the future Rafa needs to start giving him more time on the field to show what he can do.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #57: Nov 28, 2007 12:04:41 pm
      He has already shown what he can do inside the box. I've mentined it time and again he needs to be inside the box to do the damage to the opposition, and Babel has proven that many times over. Rafa just have to make sure that he plays him more often inside the box than at the wings. Besides that, we can see that he's an intelligent player and he links up well with Gerrard. Exciting times ahead if Rafa plays him at the right position. When he starts to win medals, the urge of joining the arse will soon be forgotten. But we just have to make sure that he doesn't oversleeps and misses an important game.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #58: Dec 06, 2007 11:32:06 am
      Read an atricle on the official website where Babel comments on his goals and aspirations for the season. He acknowledges that he is still in a period of adjustment and learning at Liverpool and he aims to net 5 more times before the season draws to an end. Despite his passive, almost uninterested demeanour on the pitch, he is well aware of his levels of performance and where he wants to be at Liverpool. He knows there's a long way to go and lots of work ahead, but he seems up for it...in a sleepy, serious kind of a way...
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #59: Dec 06, 2007 12:04:52 pm
      I've got a feeling that one day he'll be an Arsenal player. He doesn't look the slightest interest in kicking a ball for Liverpool, I've seen him play now and he hasn't worked his arse off for us! At least Torres has showed slight emotion!

Ryan Babel did also say in late June that one day he'll be an Arsenal player, this I don't like. I've got a feeling he's at the wrong club, his attitude on the pitch is awful.

Disagree with me and call me an idiot if you like, but you'll find out sooner or later and then we can bump this post!

You're not the first on this forum to have a go at Babel and you probably won't be the last, but I'll reply to you in the same way I replied to the last poster criticising Babel... Give the lad a f*cking chance!  It's his first season at the club, and he hasn't even started a fair amount of games yet!  In my opinion he hasn't done too bad, and each time he has come off the bench he has impacted on games (especially lately!).  I think that Babel is a quality addition to the squad and personally I'm happy with how he is performing, but although certain players take time to adapt to new clubs and the Premiership in particular, I think that Babel will go on to have a good impact in his first season... Remember when Thierry Henry first joined Arsenal? It took him time to adapt, but we all know the player he turned out to be.. I'm not comparing Babel to Henry, but I do think that he is a quality player who deserves a chance.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #60: Dec 06, 2007 12:16:20 pm
      To be fair to Ra Ra Rafa that comment was made some time ago, and he has since retracted his statement.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #61: Dec 06, 2007 12:44:08 pm
      Remember when Thierry Henry first joined Arsenal? It took him time to adapt, but we all know the player he turned out to be.. I'm not comparing Babel to Henry, but I do think that he is a quality player who deserves a chance.

I am.  He reminds me exactly what Henry was like when he started at Arsenal, primarily on the wing and coming inside to score.  It didn't always come off but he always tried to beat the defender and that is what Babel is doing for us at the moment.

Babel will get better.  He's got all the basic skills and with the coaching at Liverpool I can see no reason why he should not turn out to be as good a player as Henry.

These are exciting times at Liverpool. :o
      johnbarnesno1
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #62: Dec 06, 2007 04:17:06 pm
      I actually  think he's looked pretty good for us so far. He's given the ball away a bit cheaply at times, but that's down to inexperience.

He'll learn quickly I'm sure and with his pace he can be a real threat in the Prem.
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Reply #63: Dec 08, 2007 10:23:35 am
      He is gettig better and is on good form for us now. I like him a lot and believe he has something to offer us at this club.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #64: Dec 12, 2007 12:09:10 pm
      Another goal from Ryan & he took it well laying the ball off for himself to round the Marseille goalie...6 goals now in his first season I am taking a shine to the fella ;D
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #65: Dec 12, 2007 11:56:59 pm
      I or should i say we have said it one too many times already that Babel should be near or inside the penalty box to be effective and we have already seen what he can do already and I'm glad Rafa has done just that. He has got pace and skills to go pass defenders in and around the box.
      Barnes.on.the.left
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts | -1 
      Reply #66: Dec 13, 2007 08:42:43 pm
      Really cant wait for the time he finally plays him with Torres on a regular basis. Could be magical! :-)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #67: Dec 14, 2007 12:44:10 pm
      Babel biggest challenge is within his ears.

He has class, that last goal vs Marseille (OK with were 3-0 up) ...simply oozed class.

Rafa & co need to pump this boy with self-confidence... he is still a boy... but an expensive one and will grow to mature into a world class player (just hope it happens while he is still at LFC - because it will happen).
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #68: Dec 14, 2007 12:49:19 pm
      Babel biggest challenge is within his ears.

Why, has he burst his eardrum or something? :D :D :D

Seriously though I agree, he is a confidence player. His best bits of play have come when we have a healthy lead & he is willing to take a chance, all he needs now is the confidence to do this all the time and to still try again if it doesn't work first time.
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2007 12:54:17 pm by EddieC »

Quick Reply