Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Philippe Mexes (Roma)

Read 8859 times
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Philippe Mexes (Roma)
      Jan 13, 2011 04:00:14 pm
      « Last Edit: Jul 21, 2015 11:13:32 am by JD »
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Re: Philippe Mexes (roma)
      Reply #1: Mar 25, 2011 10:08:00 am
      Roma defender eyed by Liverpool
      25th Mar 2011 - Transfer Gossip 
      8 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      Liverpool have watched Roma's Philippe Mexes with a view to signing him in the summer.

Most Recent Gossip
      Report: Liverpool to scout Jarvis
      Roma defender eyed by Liverpool
      Liverpool prepare move for Mexes
      Dalglish joins race for Bolton defend…
      Barca ready to cash in on Afellay
      The France defender will be a free agent and a significantly cheaper alternative to Bolton's Gary Cahill.

A central defender is a priority for Liverpool, as Daniel Agger has struggled with injuries, while Martin Skrtel and Sotirios Kyrgiakos have lacked consistency.

AC Milan are also monitoring Mexes' position, while Roma have not given up hope that the 28-year-old will sign a new deal.

Derby have signed Liverpool goalkeeper Brad Jones on loan until the end of the season.

The 29-year-old is a replacement for Matt Duke, who has been recalled by Hull.

Source: Daily Mail

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Author: Daily Mail
      Tagged: Mexes , Philippe Mexes

uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #2: Mar 25, 2011 10:24:47 am
      no doubt that he's a good player, but his disciplinary record isn't great. I'd definitely sign him up on a free transfer though
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #3: Mar 25, 2011 12:50:27 pm
      This lad is stone mad makes bolitelli look like a ballerina.

Philippe Mexes The Fighter

The lad is a nut case could do with out players like this.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Mar 25, 2011 02:04:54 pm
      Scott Dann (a Liverpool fan that would no doubt do everything they can to help the team win) wouldn't be welcomed by some at the club but yet this lunatic would? Don't want him anywhere near our club. Had enough of watching Balotelli acting like a 5 year old (who doesn't even play for us) nevermind watching a player do the same at Liverpool. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Mar 25, 2011 02:08:43 pm
      He's one of the most overrated defenders around.
      Torrard
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 25, 2011 02:44:54 pm

Have you ever seen him play? He's class but he is not young and have pretty bad discipline.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Mar 25, 2011 02:54:52 pm
      Not even the best CB @ Roma.
      Torrard
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts |
      Reply #8: Mar 25, 2011 02:59:06 pm

This season he is not only the best CB, but the best and most constant player. Juan is not class anymore, nore is Burdisso.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #9: Mar 25, 2011 03:18:28 pm

I'm not going to get into whether he is overrated or not, but he certainly represents an improvement over Skrtel, Sotis, Wilson, and Ayala.  Add to that the facts that Agger is injury prone and Carra and Sotis are past their prime, and signing Mexes on a free starts to look like a pretty shrewd signing.  While I believe that Wilson will be a great CB for us in a few years, I still think that we need another senior option to turn to in the mean time.... it will be a few years before we can really count on Wilson/Ayala/Coady to do the job against the best teams in England/Europe.  Defenders typically hit their prime around 24 years old.  

As for him being a bit of a nutcase..... I am pretty sure there were a few people on here saying similar things about a player who bit Otmar Bakkal on the neck earlier this season, but I doubt any of them have anything bad to say about him now    :roll:
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #10: Mar 25, 2011 03:21:25 pm
      Mexes discipline problem is miles beyond what Suarez has done.

I also think he's an overrated defender, he's free but he'd still be on large wages.
      Torrard
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts |
      Reply #11: Mar 26, 2011 03:00:13 pm
      Scored the first goal and played a big part in the second goal for France yesterday :)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Mar 26, 2011 03:49:31 pm
      Mighty Luxembourg...!

This season he is not only the best CB, but the best and most constant player. Juan is not class anymore, nore is Burdisso.

Juan might be in decline but at his best he was far superior to Mexes.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Mar 27, 2011 05:19:34 am
      I don't know Diego, i think he's brilliant. Been certainly one player to maintain his appeal in a very poor Roma side this season. He reads the game very well like Sami did, but has more pace about him and more agile.

I'd take him any day, but the fact he is out of contract is even better.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #14: Mar 27, 2011 07:53:33 am
      Doesn't this fella have a remarkable amount of red cards to his name over his career?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #15: Mar 27, 2011 08:31:16 am
      And...?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #16: Mar 27, 2011 08:32:49 am

Just odd for a man who reads the game very well  ;D

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #17: Mar 27, 2011 08:35:41 am
      11 red cards in 10 seasons. Who cares? Just over 1 a season. And that's because he's mental, not because of his ability to read a game.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #18: Mar 27, 2011 08:42:39 am
      11 red cards in 10 seasons. Who cares?

Me. :)

Just watched the youtube video below. His attutude reminds me of Gennaro Gattuso. It is all a bit theatrical.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #19: Mar 27, 2011 09:54:17 am
      I don't know guys.

That video scares me. Seems to try to pick a fight with everyone and even his teammates struggle to calm him down.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #20: Mar 27, 2011 10:02:32 am
      I would rather have Mexes for free then Cahill for 20 million as long as the money saved goes on other players.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: Mar 27, 2011 11:55:29 am
      Roma defender Philippe Mexes has played down talk of a move to the Premier League when his contract expires this summer.

France international Mexes, 28, has been linked with Arsenal and Liverpool in England, while AC Milan and Juventus are said to be monitoring his situation in Italy.

Mexes has confirmed he is keeping an open mind over his future, but ruled out a return to France and stressed that he would ideally like to remain in Serie A.

"It's true that I'll be out of contract, but I am quite relaxed about the situation," Mexes told the French press. "I will wait and then evaluate all proposals. I never said I'll go anywhere, but I'll make a decision over the next few months. There is no cut-off date.

"Milan? There is talk of that, but also of a renewal with Roma or a transfer to England. I have nothing in particular to add, other than to say that if I did leave Roma, I'd prefer to stay in Italy. I know Serie A well and they know me, certainly more so than in France.

"I have no interest in returning to Ligue 1, not even for a big club. It's nothing to do with money. I still have much to learn and already went around France with Auxerre."

Source: ESPN

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #22: Mar 27, 2011 02:15:16 pm
      What's the go with dismissing anyone with some mongrel? Suarez nearly a bit bloke's face off and stole the world cup quarter final, Masch was a mental case, Carra picked a fight with his own teammate, Carroll was arrested.

So what he shows some bollocks on the field. Good on him. We could of used that when we were coming 16th, or when we were sh*te last season. Some fight.
      keriuonlesmar
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      • All is well
      Reply #23: Mar 29, 2011 06:31:49 am
      fifa 2010 is the unfortunate for Germany.
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #24: Mar 29, 2011 07:10:55 am
      Havent half the top clubs in Europe been linked with Mexes?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #25: Mar 29, 2011 07:20:36 am
      Havent half the top clubs in Europe been linked with Mexes?

Most probably but that is with him being on a free transfer, i think he will end up going Milan because there are a number of reports saying that he is ready to reject Liverpool in favour of staying in Italy with them.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #26: Apr 18, 2011 05:17:10 am
      This would be a good signing because he is free and we need to save on bigger players such as Sanchez etc.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #27: Apr 26, 2011 11:20:47 am
      Would have liked him to join when we were first interested in him (and Boumsong) - did he turn us down then, or did we not really make an effort to sign him when he went to Roma.

He maybe doesn't fit the NESV profile at 29 (just), but would still improve our defence I think.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,411 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #28: Apr 26, 2011 11:27:44 am
      Why buy somebody just after he's knackered his knee, plus the Milan rumour is pretty strong.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #29: May 09, 2011 05:57:59 pm
      AC Milan have confirmed they have signed both Taiwo and Mexes.  Mods, lock away.

Milan confirm Taiwo and Mexes captures

MILAN - New Serie A champions AC Milan will sign defenders Taye Taiwo from Olympique Marseille and Philippe Mexes from AS Roma on free transfers, coach Massimiliano Allegri said on Monday.

"In defence, Milan are sorted. We have taken Mexes and Taiwo," Allegri told a news conference on the eve of their Italian Cup semi-final second leg at Palermo.

Nigerian left-back Taiwo, who the Rossoneri are trying to sign as an EU player if he can gain a relevant passport, will fill the only troublesome spot in Milan's line-up this term.

The 26-year-old has been with the French champions since 2005.

France centre-back Mexes, out with a cruciate ligament injury, said last month that he would probably be joining Milan in the close season after seven years in the Italian capital.

Milan's ageing squad is in need of renewal despite their scudetto triumph and a possible first league and cup double.

Several players including out of favour midfielder Andrea Pirlo are out of contract in the close season and others are in their mid-30s.

"When the season is over we will talk with the club," Allegri said of Pirlo's situation while responding to questions about media speculation linking Milan with former playmaker Kaka - now at Real Madrid - and Santos's Brazilian youngster Ganso.

"The first has won everything in his career and the second must still learn a lot," Allegri said.

Owner Silvio Berlusconi loosened the purse strings this term to bring in the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic having previously reined in spending during the global economic crisis and watched Inter win five straight scudettos.

However, the two free transfer deals show the Italian prime minister is still keen on a bargain when he sees one.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/italy/79217/default.aspx
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #30: May 09, 2011 06:26:25 pm
      just read that allegri said in a press conference that Mexes, and Taiwo will pretty much be Milan players
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #31: May 10, 2011 06:22:08 pm
      Friggin' dammit.

Locked :(

Quick Reply