Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Our Second Choice Keeper ?

Read 5176 times
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Our Second Choice Keeper ?
      Jan 15, 2011 01:03:42 am
      Why is Brad Jones our second choice keeper ? What has he done to prove himself worthy to be Pepe's understudy ? He's barely played this season so i cant make a decision on him.

However when i have seen Gulasci play the couple of times i'v watched the ressies he's been very good when called into action

I know it's not the most important topic but i want peoples opinions on how good Gulasci is because admitedly i'v only seen him a handful off times

And when i saw Jones with Boro i wasn't overly impressed ?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Our Second Choice Keeper ?
      Reply #1: Jan 15, 2011 01:10:57 am
      I think Brad Jones was signed was because he was classified as Home Grown having joined Boro as a teen. However, not sure if we needed to because I think Peter Gulacsi should also be classified as Home Grown already.

Because we need 8 Home Grown players, we have Jones, Gerrard, Carragher, Konchesky, Johnson, Darby, Spearing and Cole. Wouldn't have worked if we had Cavalieri and no Konchesky.

Actually I'm not sure at all. We probably just need a 2nd goalkeeper who is just good enough. Having such a quality one will be wasteful.
      « Last Edit: Jan 15, 2011 01:17:35 am by Adryan »
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #2: Jan 15, 2011 01:11:28 am
      I noticed against Blackpool Gulacsi was on the bench. Could suggest Jones is not needed (and let's face it, he isn't).
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #3: Jan 15, 2011 01:12:34 am
      I noticed against Blackpool Gulacsi was on the bench. Could suggest Jones is not needed (and let's face it, he isn't).

Brad Jones is at the Asian Cup with Australia this whole month.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #4: Jan 15, 2011 01:12:39 am
      No i never really understood why we signed him ? Gulasci should be tested in our cup games...oh wait :/
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #5: Jan 15, 2011 02:33:15 am
      Peter Gulasci is a week younger than me (according to wikipedia) so he qualifies as u21, thus being homegrown I think. So what was the point in buying Brad Jones as whoever the 2nd choice keeper is only going to play 8 games max a season.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #6: Jan 15, 2011 05:46:31 am
      The idea of having a second choice keeper who rarely sees game time is that if our developing young keeper (Gulacsi in this instance) can go wherever to assist in his development without having to be called upon for the first team.  Example being if a Championship club want him on loan next season for the full year to play first string keeper it wouldn't be possible without Brad Jones because we'd need him on the bench every game.  Gulacsi would benefit far more from regular game time in the Championship than sitting on the bench for the first team and playing in the reserves.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Jan 15, 2011 06:18:09 am
      He was also on the bench against Blackburn,I agree with you regarding Jones but I think he was brought in to replace Cavalieri.Maybe someone thought Gulacsi was not quite ready to be on the bench but he looks okay to me.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #8: Jan 15, 2011 07:09:30 am
      IMO, sometime isn't it better for us to avoid saying bad thing to player like Brad Jones ?
      He didn't play for us it's not his fault. If he's not good enough but it's Liverpool FC go out there to take his signature. In my eyes we as a fan have many things to say to our belove club for constructive purpose and we better take time to do that way.

Just my opinion and sorry for my poor English.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #9: Jan 15, 2011 07:14:59 am
      No I never really understood why we signed him ? Gulasci should be tested in our cup games...oh wait :/
      Not too long to pre-season ;)
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 16, 2011 03:21:35 am
      I would be muchmore comfortable with Jones rather then Gulasci if Pepe got injured. Atleast Jons has played for his country and in the EPL.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Jan 16, 2011 03:28:11 am
       You are not being a tad patriotic there are you dave :f_tongueincheek:
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #12: Jan 16, 2011 03:45:25 am
      a little off topic but if we get Charlie Adam will he be considered home grown ?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #13: Jan 16, 2011 08:19:50 am
      Give Jones a break ffs!

He was solid at Boro and excelled towards the back end even though they were relegated.

So to answer the question yes he is needed as second choice he is a keeper capable of doing a job when required.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Jan 16, 2011 08:42:02 am
      I'll be the only Aussie to slate Jones. He's sh*t IMO. He's never shone for Australia, and he's very inconsistent. Doesn't have good positioning and is tardy in his reactions.

On the other hand, he'll play at most 5 games a season usually so who cares if he sits on our bench on crap wages. It lets Gulacsi develop through game time and we can loan him out like we did to Tranmere where he did very well.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #15: Jan 16, 2011 11:08:47 am
      He was also on the bench against Blackburn,I agree with you regarding Jones but I think he was brought in to replace Cavalieri.Maybe someone thought Gulacsi was not quite ready to be on the bench but he looks okay to me.

Brad Jones is at the Asian Cup with Australia!!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #16: Jan 16, 2011 11:11:59 am
      good solid goalie and homegrown, one of roys better signings if you ask me.

not easy being a no.2 goalie. must be frustrating as hell sitting on the bench all the time.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #17: Jan 16, 2011 11:19:02 am
      No I never really understood why we signed him ? Gulasci should be tested in our cup games...oh wait :/

Pepe Reina can be injured for some matches.

And in this case it's better to have 2 choices than one. Don't know if Jones would be better than Gulacsi or not, but I feel more secure to have the two ready, in case one can't handle the pressure (don't know who is our fourth keeper, but I guess he is still too young to be considered).
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 16, 2011 11:28:43 am
      Yeh maybe i am being patriotic but still he is a reserve keeper who plays a couple of games in a season . Is he not good enough to play a few games here and there?

Silly topic , we have bigger problems then this.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #19: Jan 16, 2011 12:46:37 pm
      Pepe Reina can be injured for some matches.

And in this case it's better to have 2 choices than one. Don't know if Jones would be better than Gulacsi or not, but I feel more secure to have the two ready, in case one can't handle the pressure (don't know who is our fourth keeper, but I guess he is still too young to be considered).

Our 4th choice keeper is Dean Bouzanis and he's only three months younger than Gulacsi.  Gulacsi isn't capable of being second choice keeper, the only reason people are suggesting this is because Pepe Reina has such an amazing fitness record.  Let's just count our blessings instead, there's far bigger problems to worry about.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #20: Jan 16, 2011 10:34:57 pm
      Our 4th choice keeper is Dean Bouzanis and he's only three months younger than Gulacsi.  Gulacsi isn't capable of being second choice keeper, the only reason people are suggesting this is because Pepe Reina has such an amazing fitness record.  Let's just count our blessings instead, there's far bigger problems to worry about.
      You sure Martin Hansen isn't fourth? I've seen him on the bench this season but I haven't seen Dean.

I'll be the only Aussie to slate Jones.
      You saying we see him through rose tinted glasses just because he's Australian?
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #21: Jan 16, 2011 10:57:29 pm
      You sure Martin Hansen isn't fourth? I've seen him on the bench this season but I haven't seen Dean.

I'm pretty sure Bouzanis just recovered from two months out with injury.  Either way, I think both their contracts are due to expire within 12 months and when that time comes, we'll find out :P

My money's on Bouzanis.

I agree with Crouch that Jones is pretty sh*t but he's HG (and considering a good 5-6 of our 8 HG players need to be shipped out, I'm happy to have him here for the forseeable future until new HG players come through, would prefer Cavalieri in all honesty but what do you do...) and thankfully Reina has a good fitness record so I'm not going to complain.  Far bigger problems with the squad
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,485 posts | 8675 
      Reply #22: Jan 16, 2011 11:48:21 pm
      I don't really care as long as he's not blind, has two arms and can catch a ball.

Reina doesn't get injured much!

Quick Reply