Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Stewart Downing (Aston Villa)

Read 166258 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: Stewart Downing (Aston Villa)
      Reply #23: Jan 17, 2011 03:53:59 pm
      Think Downing would be a massive improvement to our left side to be honest. He is a proper winger, who will stick out wide, try get round the man, if he can't put the ball in early. Got a great left foot on him.

He wouldn't be much use in terms of helping out the full back, and he's got no real pace which is one of the major problems IMO. However, I would only be willing to pay 10mill no more than that.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #24: Jan 17, 2011 04:02:28 pm
      Big difference, young has been injured a lot this season, Downing hasn't. Also young gets an assist or goal every other game while Downings record is no where near that good. Also name me a top 4 team where he would get in??? He is not good enough, N'zogbia is better.

18 games vs 22 games, not as big a difference as you proclaim.  Plus, Downing is playing on the wrong flank. Definitely not a huge gulf in ability between them at all.  Young is slightly better, but not hugely.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #25: Jan 17, 2011 04:32:39 pm
      Really hope there is no truth in this, he is a mister average and £10 million is way to much
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #26: Jan 17, 2011 05:13:17 pm
      S.S.N reporting contact has been made between clubs.....hope this doesnt happen.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #27: Jan 17, 2011 05:14:52 pm
      Would definately improve on what we have quit happy if it comes off to be honest shows great work rate and can cross a ball a well.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #28: Jan 17, 2011 05:18:14 pm
      Would definately improve on what we have quit happy if it comes off to be honest shows great work rate and can cross a ball a well.

I'd go with that.

Think he's quite under rated in my opinion.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #29: Jan 17, 2011 05:20:20 pm
      I know people like stats this is an extract from opta

Aston Villa
      * Aston Villa have picked up just four points from a possible 39 against top-half opposition this season.

* Only Florent Malouda has created more chances for his teammates than Stewart Downing.

* Aston Villa took 58 minutes to muster a shot on target at home to Sunderland on Wednesday.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #30: Jan 17, 2011 05:21:33 pm
      How often do they get it right, would be extremely disappointed with this signing, would be another nearly man for the left of midfield and £10 million would be better spent than on this lad. I'm not a massive fan of N'Zogbia but would be a much better signing.

When are we ever going to buy a proper wide man. We must have spent about £30 million on wide players since the days of Barnes and they were all sh*te or average as F**k. This is another lad to fit into the average as F**k bracket. With Albrighton bursting onto the scene anyway the lad is going spend a large amount of time on the bench.

I wanted Mata for this position ya you would spend at least £20 million but look when Downing flops like he will are we going to buy another £10 million pound player for the position who could flop again.

Spend the F***ing money now and have the problem solved for 10 years. Spend £10 million on Downing and when he flops you'll have to sell the lad for £5 million.

It is a no F***ing brainer if NESV really want the club to be successful.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #31: Jan 17, 2011 07:06:15 pm
      I think Downing is a very good footballer. Admitingly, when Villa bought him originally i was almost relieved but he has proven to be a fantastic player and one that i would certainly welcome to the club. The reported £18m may be a bit steep though.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #32: Jan 17, 2011 07:13:51 pm
      Not sure about this.  I don't think he has any pace does he?  And he seems to be very hot and cold.  Yes, he can put a good cross in, but is that enough?

10M is too expensive for me.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #33: Jan 17, 2011 07:40:53 pm
      Not sure about this.  I don't think he has any pace does he?  And he seems to be very hot and cold.  Yes, he can put a good cross in, but is that enough?

10M is too expensive for me.

Only 26, I like the lad he has had plenty a good game against us plus he's an out and out wideman something we haven't had for a long long time, has Kennys smell all over it this.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #34: Jan 17, 2011 07:45:39 pm
      He has been poor for Villa and is struggling to get his game now. Another gamble on an average left midfielder.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #35: Jan 17, 2011 07:53:41 pm
      Strange I thought he had played most games and was Villas top scorer will do some checking though.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #36: Jan 17, 2011 08:04:08 pm
      You talking to me again I thought we were to ignore each other, I don't give a F**k if he played well against us anyway have we not learnt that means F**k all after Keane.

Last time the lad played well against us, Carragher threw a hissy fit after being asked to play right back and Skrtel was fu**ed in there.

Average player at best worth no where near £10 million. Do the right think NESV target Mata, will save money in the long run and will show ye genuinely want to be successful.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #37: Jan 17, 2011 08:08:03 pm
      Sorry Corbally it's just that you seem to just come out with things without thinking it's nothing personal. But the guy has played 22 league games and has 5 league goals. Now for a winger in a bad side that is one he'll a result and not someone struggling to get a game for Villa.

Now no swearing no hissy fits but I have evidenced why he deserves a chance above, maybe you could counter argue why you think he Is struggling to get a Game and on poor form. It is after all a forum.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #38: Jan 17, 2011 08:09:43 pm
      You talking to me again I thought we were to ignore each other, I don't give a f**k if he played well against us anyway have we not learnt that means f**k all after Keane.

Last time the lad played well against us, Carragher threw a hissy fit after being asked to play right back and Skrtel was fu**ed in there.

Average player at best worth no where near £10 million. Do the right think NESV target Mata, will save money in the long run and will show ye genuinely want to be successful.

Mata signed an extension.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #39: Jan 17, 2011 08:13:16 pm
      Albrighton is the reason they will sell him, he is a better long term prospect than Downing and can play on the left. They also have good young players coming up, looking at there Reserve side hammering Arsenal reserves 8-1 last week.

Downing has a good left leg but he has no pace and I'm sick of having wide men that can't beat a player. If I was a Villa fan wouldn't mind him going for £10 million

Downing would never have been considered for a successful Liverpool side. Aston Villa is his level and the lad will flop, mark my words and NESV will have to shed out more money to solve our problem position.

Didn't know that Ian, I would love him at the club he would be excellant for the left side, has stated in the past he would like to play for Liverpool and Torres has stated in the past he would like the club to buy him. A contract isn't really worth the paper it is written on these days especially when you have the debts Valencia have.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #40: Jan 17, 2011 08:14:22 pm
      Good player and although I agree he's improved a lot since moving to Villa; I think we could get someone better.

Personally I'd rather fork out the whole 10m for Marc Albrighton.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #41: Jan 17, 2011 08:17:30 pm
      I think Rafa wanted him but wasn't given the money and MON got him, think someone once said if you get someone with a great right foot they are ten a penny but if you get a player with a good left peg it's classed as a wand because so rare. Becks has taught s you don't need pace to play wide with success however when I hv seen downing he's not to shabby, certainly quicker that Riera but an end product.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #42: Jan 17, 2011 08:21:19 pm
      Not what the club should be targetting to be honest was never a fan of his even in his Middlesborough days, he seems to have the same condition which all our left midfielders have had in the last 20 years, 1 good game than 5 mediocre games.

Downing is no Beckham either. Doesn't have the same drive or quality as the lad no matter how much I hate him.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #43: Jan 17, 2011 08:25:53 pm
      If any of our wide men would have five goals this season I am sure we would be in a much healthier position plus he is young and can hold Down the position for the next five years if he stays fit. 10 million would be a snip and fit with the new owners ideas. I actually prefer him over Milner, ( who will be shipped from City sooner rather than later )
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #44: Jan 17, 2011 08:28:46 pm
      I'll agree to differ with you here, you clearly stated your reasons why you think he will succeed and I respect that but disagree
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #45: Jan 17, 2011 08:32:31 pm
      The thing this really makes a mockery of, is last seasons transfer window, when Adam Johnson, a player probably better than most mentioned in here was available for a snip, but Purslow said their was no value in the January market, probably meant we couldn't afford him, but boy we could have done with him, especially at the price he went for. Any of the guys who can play on the left at Villa, Young, Albrighton or Downing would, at present, improve our starting XI.

Quick Reply