Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Stewart Downing (Aston Villa)

Read 168389 times
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Stewart Downing (Aston Villa)
      Reply #92: May 14, 2011 12:55:07 pm
      Remember that Ashley Young takes corners, free kicks and penatlys at Villa which would increase his stats massively.

I think Downing is the better player but I would want other players ahead of either Downing or Young
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #93: May 14, 2011 01:44:48 pm
      You didnt mention he missed nearly the whole first season at villa. Id prefer downing has had the better season as the three player of the year awards point to. I think from open play from open play downing is more effective
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #94: May 14, 2011 07:59:35 pm
      You didnt mention he missed nearly the whole first season at villa.

Playing 25 and of those 23 he started is hardly missing a whole season.

Remember that Ashley Young takes corners, free kicks and penatlys at Villa which would increase his stats massively.
      True enough but I also think it speaks to the fact he has that ability which is important and good to have.

I guess we shouldn't get too caught up in the stats because if you went by that alone Maxi would be one of the best wide players in the Premiership  :f_tongueincheek:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #95: May 14, 2011 08:48:34 pm
      He was bought injured and missed the whole pre season, I think Downing is the more effective of the two especially when I've seen Villa play this season
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #96: May 26, 2011 10:06:03 am
      Kop and Gunners on alert as Downing rejects new Villa deal

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Liverpool-and-Arsenal-on-alert-as-Stewart-Downing-rejects-new-Aston-Villa-deal-article740929.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Arsenal and Liverpool are on alert after Stewart Downing refused to extend his Aston Villa contract.

The Midlands club wanted to tie the winger down to a new long-term deal despite the fact that he has two years remaining on his current pact with the club.

But Downing dashed those hopes and increased the likelihood of him quitting Villa Park this summer when he said: "I am 26, and at a major crossroads in my career, so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment.

"I know the club are keen for me to extend my contract as I only have two years left on my deal.

"My agent (Struan Marshall) had a recent meeting with our chief executive (Paul Faulkner)."

Downing was arguably Villa's best player last season but is hankering after Champions League football and will not be encouraged by the uncertainty over Gerard Houllier's return - or by stories linking Ashley Young with Manchester United and Manchester City.

He said: "I want to keep playing and enjoying my football. When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time.

"It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point."

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #97: May 26, 2011 10:07:19 am
      Have to say i'd be happy with this transfer obviously for a reasonable fee, i rate the lad
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #98: May 26, 2011 10:12:08 am
      We are chasing him a while now,think we will get him here this window,just seen on a rumour room he would cost around 17 million.Dont think he is worth that kind of money.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #99: May 26, 2011 10:12:53 am
      The best winger on Villa's books, in my opinion.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #100: May 26, 2011 10:14:25 am
      I agree I actually believe away from all the media spin he is a better player than Young
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #101: May 26, 2011 10:40:48 am
      You could tell by the way he played against us that he is really trying to impress Dalglish, I except us to sign him and Elia to solve our wing problems.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #102: May 26, 2011 11:11:42 am
      You could tell by the way he played against us that he is really trying to impress Dalglish, I except us to sign him and Elia to solve our wing problems.

Or he could have just been dedicated to getting the 3 points against us and impressing the Villa fans? Liking your interpretation of his performance against us though. Him refusing to sign a new contract as of yet could mean he either wants to keep his options open or he just doesn't find it neccessary to sign a new contract when he has 2 years left on his current one. However, past all that, i would take him at Liverpool and play him right mid and buy Coentrao or Mata for the left wing, i can be optimistic :).
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #103: May 26, 2011 12:15:32 pm
      England star admits he is at a 'crossroads'

By Graeme Bailey
      Last Updated: May 26, 2011 9:39am

Aston Villa star Stewart Downing has confirmed that he will not be committing to a new contract 'at the moment'.

The England winger enjoyed an excellent campaign for Villa, winning their Player of the Year award.

His form has seen him recalled to the national team set-up, whilst his appearances have caught the eye of a number of clubs.

Skysports.com revealed earlier this month that Villa want to make him the highest paid player at the club, but Liverpool and Arsenal are both understood to be keen.

Downing has now confirmed talks have taken place but he is not about to sign a new deal, with two years still remaining on his current contract.

"I know the club are keen for me to extend my contract as I only have two years left on my deal and that my agent had a recent meeting with our chief executive (Paul Faulkner)," Downing confirmed.

"However, I am 26 and at a major crossroads in my career so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment."

Downing joined Villa in 2009, but he was still recovering from a broken foot so this season has been his first full campaign for the club.

Villa now look to have a fight to hold on to Downing, which will be a huge blow, especially with Ashley Young edging towards the exit door at Villa Park.

Downing further underlined that he could be looking elsewhere when he revealed that he is yearning to play in the Champions League.

"I want to keep playing and enjoying my football," Downing told the Northern Echo.

"When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point.

"The most important thing for me, though, is to stay fit and then the rewards will come with that, hopefully. I have got back into the England squad, I have to make sure I stay there.

"It was horrible to miss the World Cup last year, but I was not the only one. Looking back it was probably because I was injured for much of that season that I never made it."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6952734,00.html
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #104: May 26, 2011 12:28:19 pm
      Seems like a very honest down to earth lad and one addittion i would welcome to the team,you can see carroll getting in on a few of downing's crosses.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #105: May 26, 2011 12:41:13 pm
      He is better than Young. I would love him a lot with Coentrao behind on the left and maxi fighting for his player to leave Downing on his toes!
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #106: May 26, 2011 03:18:03 pm

Downing won't commit to Villa

26th May 2011

Aston Villa star Stewart Downing has confirmed that he will not be committing to a new contract 'at the moment'.

The England winger enjoyed an excellent campaign for Villa, winning their Player of the Year award.

His form has seen him recalled to the national team set-up, whilst his appearances have caught the eye of a number of clubs.

Skysports.com revealed earlier this month that Villa want to make him the highest paid player at the club, but Liverpool and Arsenal are both understood to be keen.

Downing has now confirmed talks have taken place but he is not about to sign a new deal, with two years still remaining on his current contract.

"I know the club are keen for me to extend my contract as I only have two years left on my deal and that my agent had a recent meeting with our chief executive (Paul Faulkner)," Downing confirmed.

"However, I am 26 and at a major crossroads in my career so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment."

Downing joined Villa in 2009, but he was still recovering from a broken foot so this season has been his first full campaign for the club.

Villa now look to have a fight to hold on to Downing, which will be a huge blow, especially with Ashley Young edging towards the exit door at Villa Park.

Downing further underlined that he could be looking elsewhere when he revealed that he is yearning to play in the Champions League.

"I want to keep playing and enjoying my football," Downing told the Northern Echo.

"When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point.

"The most important thing for me, though, is to stay fit and then the rewards will come with that, hopefully. I have got back into the England squad, I have to make sure I stay there.

"It was horrible to miss the World Cup last year, but I was not the only one. Looking back it was probably because I was injured for much of that season that I never made it."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/downing-won-t-commit-to-villa
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #107: May 26, 2011 03:40:07 pm
      Downing in England fold and he intends to stay
      http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9048541.Downing_in_England_fold_and_he_intends_to_stay/

11:40pm Wednesday 25th May 2011

Stewart Downing is due to end an impressive season at Aston Villa with an England outing. In an exclusive chat with Chief Football Writer Paul Fraser, the Teessider looks to the future.

WHEN Stewart Downing meets up with the rest of the England squad next week, it will provide end of season satisfaction to a job well done. Twelve months after missing out on a place on the plane to the World Cup in South Africa, the dynamic winger is back where he wants to belong.

He might have been unable to persuade Fabio Capello, Steve McClaren and Sven-Goran Eriksson to start him regularly, but his determination to force his way back in has never wavered - and he is intent on staying there.

It is hard to believe a young man who made his first appearance for Middlesbrough in April 2002, is still only 26, but he for one knows time is on his side to achieve all of his goals.

Since moving to Villa Park two summers ago and overcoming occasional frustration, the left-footed midfielder from Middlesbrough's Pallister Park estate is brimming with confidence once more.

After being crowned Villa's player of the year this month, he capped a productive campaign with the winning goal against Liverpool last Sunday.

That was quite different to the way it all started; recovering from a serious cruciate ligament injury sustained in his last Middlesbrough appearance against the Villans almost two years earlier.

"It was hard when I first moved to Villa because I spent the first seven months in the gym," said Downing. "I was disappointed with my first season, it ended with me thinking that I had never really hit top gear.

"I had never been injured like that before and it took some getting over. There were a few bright moments for me, but I just never really felt I had got into full flow.

"This year has been totally different, even though the manager who took me to Villa, Martin O'Neill, left and that was strange. He was one of the main reasons why I went to Villa.

"It was difficult when he left, everything changed. It took some getting used to, but credit to the new manager (Gerard Houllier) he led the team through a very good run in the end and I have enjoyed being such a big part of the team."

Downing's displays have been a key feature in Villa's progress, with Houllier adamant he wants the Teessider to commit to a new contract amid speculated interest in him from Liverpool and Arsenal.

But with another two seasons to run on the contract he signed when he completed his £12m switch, Downing is in no rush to sign new terms.

He said: "I know the club are keen for me to extend my contract as I only have two years left on my deal and that my agent (Struan Marshall) had a recent meeting with our chief executive (Paul Faulkner). However, I am 26 and at a major crossroads in my career so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment."

His reluctance to extend his stay is down to a personal hunger to experience everything he can during his career, with an aspiration of playing in European football's premier club competition still unfulfilled.

"I want to keep playing and enjoying my football," said Downing. "When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point.

To be back in Capello's thinking gives Downing enormous satisfaction. He hopes to play some part in the European 2012 qualifier with Switzerland a week on Saturday, having been a star performer in the 1-1 draw with Ghana on March 29.

If he does play, he could form a three-man attack alongside two players to have risen to improved international recognition after leaving the North-East, in the shape of Adam Johnson and Darren Bent.

"This is bad on Boro but the best thing that happened to Adam was that he got his move to Manchester City when he did," said Downing, who has stayed in touch with the Easington-born talent. "People might wonder why, but if he had stayed in the Championship last season then he might not be where he is now. Anything could have happened.

"There's now me, Adam, Ashley Young, James Milner, Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon all in there fighting to play for England for the same positions. That shows we have the wingers, which has always been an area that we have supposed to have been short in."

It could be good for Capello that, in any enforced absence of Wayne Rooney, he has two of Bent's Villa team-mates to call upon.

Bent has scored nine goals since his £24m switch from Sunderland in January, while he has also scored in each of his last three appearances for his country.

Downing has been hugely impressed by the former Black Cat, saying: "I have known Darren for years because we have grown up through the Under 17s, 18s, 20s and 21s. He has always been a goalscorer and his record for us since he moved to us has been outstanding.

"None of us at the club knew anything about him coming from Sunderland until it actually happened. It was a brilliant signing by the manager. Darren's goals completely turned around our season.

"Darren deserved his chance with England and he has taken his chance. He could be in the team for a long time. It just shows you what can happen." And in that respect, Downing remains hopeful too.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #108: May 26, 2011 03:50:40 pm
      He said: "I know the club are keen for me to extend my contract as I only have two years left on my deal and that my agent (Struan Marshall) had a recent meeting with our chief executive (Paul Faulkner). However, I am 26 and at a major crossroads in my career so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment."

So, he shares the agent with Gerrard and Carragher ... Interesting ...
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #109: May 26, 2011 03:53:56 pm
      I'm not all that gone on Downing to be honest, I still need some convincing. I know he had all that potential at Boro all them years ago but I haven't really seen him kick on all the much more.

And anyways, I've tried to picture him in a Liverpool shirt and I just can't.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #110: May 26, 2011 03:56:42 pm
      So, he shares the agent with Gerrard and Carragher ... Interesting ...

Struan Marshall
      Struan Marshall is a chief football agent of the infamous management agency SFX. SFX’s most famous client was David Beckham though he now represents himself. They represent a number of current players including Michael Owen, Robbie Keane, Jamie Carragher, Dwight Yorke, Jon Arne Riise, Bolo Zenden and Emile Heskey as well former players involved in high profile media work like Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer, Gary Lineker and David Seaman. Struan Marshall personally represents current England midfielder and Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard. Marshall is no stranger to contoversy after his involvement in the failed transfer of his then client Dion Dublin to Blackburn Rovers, with the player turning down title challengers Rovers for a more financially lucrative deal at struggling Aston Villa, which prompted Blackburn to purchase Boltons Nathan Blake the man who had been lined up by Coventry City as a replacement for Dublin. He hit the headlines again when he was blamed for luring Steven Gerrard into the clutches of Chelsea before the player made a dramatic last minute u-turn. Gerrard publicly came to the defense of his agent claiming he had not been pushed into looking for a move but he still became a figure of hate on Merseyside.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #111: May 26, 2011 04:28:54 pm

I know who Struan Marshall and SFX Sports Management are ... They are now part of the Wasserman Media Group ... Their owner and CEO (Casey Wasserman) has close business and political relations with our own Chairman Tom Werner ...

I was surprised to see that Marshall is personally representing Downing, since he usually represents their most valued assets ... If I remember correctly, he's had a role in the Robbie Keane transfer ...
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #112: May 26, 2011 04:44:02 pm
      Could you picture Torres(dare I say his name) in a Chelski shirt. :D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #113: May 26, 2011 05:44:42 pm

Could you picture Torres(dare I say his name) in a Chelski shirt. :D

Or your Da in your Ma's panties (the black lacy one's) and stockings little fella?  >:D
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #114: May 26, 2011 08:52:13 pm
       :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Or your Da in your Ma's panties (the black lacy one's) and stockings little fella?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Quick Reply