Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Do we have a great captain?

Read 12466 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Do we have a great captain?
      Reply #46: Jan 19, 2011 12:03:28 pm
      Gerrard has proven an inspirational footballer for the reds at times. 

Whether that is the overriding qualification to be a captain I don't know.  Anyway, Reina apart (and I know some don't like keepers as captain) I don't see anybody prepared to step up to the plate and take the role.  Gerrard probably is the most senior figure in the dressing room, and from what I hear, he is very good with the new players and does get involved with his team-mates.

I don't think it's a major issue for us at the present.

Out of interest, and I'm sure someone will correct me - isn't he our longest serving captain?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #47: Jan 19, 2011 12:12:21 pm
      Rowdy Yeats was Liverpool's captain for 10 years, from seasons 1961/62 to 1969/70, the longest serving captain in the history of the club.
      http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/450

I had to look it up though mate :)
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #48: Jan 19, 2011 04:35:50 pm
      we have lost a lot of leaders in recent seasons, Sami, Alonso, Masch, Didi, Alonso. Really we only have Carra, Pepe and Stevie left. Reina is the real leader off the pitch I reckon, with Carra on it. No disrepect to Stevie tho.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #49: Jan 19, 2011 04:49:43 pm
      If you really want to know about the art of captaincy (and it IS an art) look no further than Mike Brearely - a different sport, but the principles remain the same.

Gerrard can be an inspirational player, but if things aren't going well for him he has a habit of dragging the rest of the team down, with hisposturing, sulking and shouting at others to cover his own mistakes.

Great player?
      Yes.

great captain?
      Never in a million years.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #50: Jan 19, 2011 04:54:56 pm
      I think I'll quietly step away from this thread before I upset some people.

I appreciate that forums such as this are all about opinion but I can't believe the question has even been asked.

Gerrard is our captain, our talisman, he is Liverpool FC.

This is my last post in here, I'll leave you to it.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #51: Jan 19, 2011 05:02:09 pm
      As far as modern day captains go then yes Gerrard is a great captain , he leads by inspiration and not by berating players on the field ,having said that not that many players in or team have the confrontational temperament do they ? he wouldn't be a great captain in the same era and team as Emlyn Hughes for example ...just my opinion though
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #52: Jan 19, 2011 05:04:38 pm
       If the job of the captain ISN'T to smash in the winner against Olympiacos from 25 yards when we are within 90 seconds or something of going out of the Champions League, then Gerrard is no good at it. If it ISN'T to score the goal that gave us belief in the final when we were 3-0 down, before then winning the penalty which brought us back to 2-3 and single handedly turning the game on its head, then Gerrard isn't very good at it either. If it ISN'T to score a fantastic volley when we are 2-0 down in the Cup final, before scoring one of the best goals ever seen in the showpiece in the same match when we are 2-3 down with 15 seconds left, smashing it in from 35 yards out (before like in the Champions League final scoring from the spot too), then Gerrard isn't a good captain no.

If the captains job ISN'T to drag us out of the s*** singlehandedly time after time after time after time, then Gerrard is useless at it. Some of our fans will never appreciate him until he doesn't play for us any more. When he doesn't, if they've got a clue they'll realise he is one of the best players to ever pulkl on the shirt, even quite possibly THE best.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #53: Jan 19, 2011 05:06:07 pm
       Put it this way, if Gerrard didn't play for us and hadn't put in captains displays, this would be season number eight and counting since we had won a trophy.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #54: Jan 19, 2011 05:14:15 pm
      I think I'll quietly step away from this thread before I upset some people.

I appreciate that forums such as this are all about opinion but I can't believe the question has even been asked.

Gerrard is our captain, our talisman, he is Liverpool FC.

This is my last post in here, I'll leave you to it.

I actually second that. Before I made my first post in here, I was like 'I can't believe Stevie's captain role is being questioned.'

Time and time again he has pulled us out of the jaws of defeat, even in the biggest of occassions. He scored the decisive 3rd goal against Olympiakos. He scored the first goal in the Istanbul come back, he made an assist and even hit a brace in fashion in the FA Cup Final.

After all his 10 seasons of commitment and dedication, we take him for granted and start jumping on his back when he's performing below par.

He may not shout and people and stuff unless needed to but he talks to referees and leads by example. I remember watching back in 2007/2008 when Mascherano got a second yellow from Steve Bennett (I think) for asking a question and was reluctant to leave the field, it was Gerrard who grabbed Masch by the neck and told him to get off!
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #55: Jan 19, 2011 05:28:17 pm
      Put it this way, if Gerrard didn't play for us and hadn't put in captains displays, this would be season number eight and counting since we had won a trophy.

You could also say that if Gerrard hadn't been so defensively indisciplned, leaving huge gaping holes for Milan to exploit, we wouldn't have gone in 3-0 down at half time.

It took Didi to steady the centre, and Gerrard moving into a role where he had freedom to roam, to get us back in that game.

And just who was responsible for those changes?

Oh yeah, he who must not be named.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #56: Jan 19, 2011 05:56:49 pm
      You could also say that if Gerrard hadn't been so defensively indisciplned, leaving huge gaping holes for Milan to exploit, we wouldn't have gone in 3-0 down at half time.

It took Didi to steady the centre, and Gerrard moving into a role where he had freedom to roam, to get us back in that game.

And just who was responsible for those changes?

Oh yeah, he who must not be named.

And you accuse ME of having an agenda :D

Rafa picked the wrong team in the first place I'll give you that, I'll name him for you fella no problem. And, it wasn't "indiscipline" on Gerrards part which caused us to be 3-0 down in the first place, it was a combination of factors. Gerrard got us back into the match single handed, just like he won us the FA Cup final single handed, but unfortunately some people are unable to accept it as they feel it dininishes the contribution of the manager. Sad but true.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #57: Jan 19, 2011 06:09:06 pm
      And you accuse ME of having an agenda :D

Rafa picked the wrong team in the first place I'll give you that, I'll name him for you fella no problem. And, it wasn't "indiscipline" on Gerrards part which caused us to be 3-0 down in the first place, it was a combination of factors. Gerrard got us back into the match single handed,

Wrong, very big wrong, it was a F***ing team effort led by Hamann shackling Kaka, Gerrard scored one goal! How about Riise for providing the cross? How about the clever pass by Hamann that allowed Smicer to score the second? Milan with the little flick for Gerrard to run on and win the penalty for Alonso to equalise. How about Dudek saving the pens?

And let's not forget Pepe's big involvement in the 2006 Fa Cup Final as well!

Team F***ing Effort.
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2011 06:17:18 pm by HUYTON RED »

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #58: Jan 19, 2011 06:15:21 pm
      can I name him? :D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #59: Jan 19, 2011 06:32:13 pm
      Wrong, very big wrong, it was a f**king team effort led by Hamann shackling Kaka, Gerrard scored one goal! How about Riise for providing the cross? How about the clever pass by Hamann that allowed Smicer to score the second? Milan with the little flick for Gerrard to run on and win the penalty for Alonso to equalise. How about Dudek saving the pens?

And let's not forget Pepe's big involvement in the 2006 Fa Cup Final as well!

Team F***ing Effort.

Kaka is to be blamed for the second goal because he was adjusting his shin pad or something when Smicer received the ball!  ;D
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #60: Jan 19, 2011 06:36:53 pm

It's Voldemort ;)

At least that's how some see him ;)
      therapy2004
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #61: Jan 19, 2011 06:40:30 pm
      Seems some people have very short memories. Gerrard is an excellent captain and you'll see him driving us forward again when he returns.

Spot on.  A top top player and captain.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #62: Jan 19, 2011 06:44:12 pm

It really is as simple as that. Even though they claim as much on SkySports, it doesn't necessarily follow as a given that they are wrong. Not always, but they are right sometimes.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #63: Jan 19, 2011 06:45:44 pm

Are you Paul Merson per chance?

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #64: Jan 19, 2011 07:09:56 pm
      If the job of the captain ISN'T to smash in the winner against Olympiacos from 25 yards when we are within 90 seconds or something of going out of the Champions League, then Gerrard is no good at it. If it ISN'T to score the goal that gave us belief in the final when we were 3-0 down, before then winning the penalty which brought us back to 2-3 and single handedly turning the game on its head, then Gerrard isn't very good at it either. If it ISN'T to score a fantastic volley when we are 2-0 down in the Cup final, before scoring one of the best goals ever seen in the showpiece in the same match when we are 2-3 down with 15 seconds left, smashing it in from 35 yards out (before like in the Champions League final scoring from the spot too), then Gerrard isn't a good captain no.

If the captains job ISN'T to drag us out of the s*** singlehandedly time after time after time after time, then Gerrard is useless at it. Some of our fans will never appreciate him until he doesn't play for us any more. When he doesn't, if they've got a clue they'll realise he is one of the best players to ever pulkl on the shirt, even quite possibly THE best.
      THIS  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Top post Mick sums it up perfectly
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #65: Jan 19, 2011 07:27:57 pm
      Gerrard - Outstanding captain when he is playing well but goes missing when he isnt playing well - he uses his own actions and play when captaining the team so what do the team see when he is playing poorly - their captain with his head down - if he used his voice as well he would be an outstanding captain in all situations.
      gazza31
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #66: Jan 19, 2011 07:51:57 pm
      Dare I ask another question..... I started this thread not to start an argument but to debate Stevie G's captain responsibilities which some people cannot grasp. You don't just give the best player the armband you need leaders. Personally I think it was given him at a Time he may have gone off the rails and it did calm him down both on and off the pitch but sometimes we need that bit more with regards authority and leadership.

Listen there is no doubting his football ability but that is not what this thread is about. Please give your reasons as why you think he is a great leader but saying he's a Great captain because he knocked one in against Olympiakos isn't really an argument. A captain is a managers extension on the pitch, maybe voldermort didn't allow it and Roy hadn't a clue but he doesnt show it when things going bad. Maybe he will blossom under Kenny who knows.
      Haris
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #67: Jan 19, 2011 07:54:08 pm
      He's more then great.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #68: Jan 19, 2011 08:01:31 pm

well said.

perhaps we just don't see everything he does.

Quick Reply