Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Stevie G wants KK to stay beyond this season!

Read 6567 times
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Stevie G wants KK to stay beyond this season!
      Jan 18, 2011 10:39:34 am
      Steven Gerrard wants Kenny Dalglish to stay beyond this season
      18 Jan 2011 - 10:05:54
      Liverpool RSS news feed

Steven Gerrard wants Kenny Dalglish to stay beyond this season
      Related Links
      Premier League Results
      Premier League News
      Premier League Fixtures

Steven Gerrard is desperate for Kenny Dalglish to stay on as Liverpool manager beyond the end of this season. Dalglish was lured back to replace the sacked Roy Hodgson on a six-month deal at the beginning of this month. But it hasn't been a fairytale return for the Anfield legend, overseeing an FA Cup defeat to Manchester United and losing at home to Blackpool. Making his point: the Liverpool captain is keen to see Dalglish stay beyond the end of this season

However, Gerrard insists Dalglish is the right man for the job, and hopes his return isn't short-lived. 'I want to do everything in my power to ensure that he stays here for a long time, beyond the initial six months,' Gerrard told LFC Weekly. 'I'd love nothing better when the end of the season comes than for us to be on the back of a good run of results that ensures he gets the job full-time. That's my short-term plan, to give everything I've got and all my energy to try to make that happen.' King of the Kop: but Dalglish has yet to taste victory on his sensational return to Liverpool Gerrard, who is suspended for Saturday's trip to Wolves, also believes the arrival of Dalglish will spur Liverpool back up the table after enduring their worst start to a top-flight campaign in more than half-a-century. 'I won't lie. When Kenny rang to say he was coming back it was a big lift,' the talismanic skipper added

I love Kenny as a person and I've certainly enjoyed the first few days we've had working with him. I can see a positive future for Kenny at the club. Suspended: Gerrard was dismissed for a two-footed lunge on Michael Carrick in the FA Cup defeat at Manchester United 'I think he's the perfect person to get everyone moving in the right direction again. He's the talisman at this club. 'His nickname, the King, says it all really.

He's the perfect manager and also person to bring it all together. 'It's time to re-group and for us all to be pulling in the right direction because this season certainly hasn't been good enough.' Dalglish's side secured a thrilling 2-2 draw with rivals Everton on Sunday after Dirk Kuyt scored a 68th minute penalty. Well done, son: Dalglish has praised Liverpool youngster Kelly (left) And the Scotsman was quick to praise the impact of Liverpool youngsters Martin Kelly and Jay Spearing. 'Martin Kelly has done really well for us and he is in the team on merit,' Dalglish told Liverpoolfc.tv. 'Last week we had Jay Spearing and Daniel Pacheco who did really well for the reserves. They both needed games and they both showed a really good attitude and commitment. 'Dani scored one and made the other and Jay did really well in the middle of the pitch. He then played on Sunday and can be really proud of his performance.

Danny Wilson has looked excellent in training and Jonjo Shelvey has come on off the bench and done well.'  Torres insists good times are on way back under Liverpool legend DalglishLuis Suarez tops Kenny Dalglish's wanted list: Ajax striker has been stripped of captaincy Kenny Dalglish: I've got to rebuild shattered duo Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen to make my squad strongerLIVERPOOL FC
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Re: Stevie G wants KK to stay beyond this season!
      Reply #1: Jan 18, 2011 10:58:18 am
      Too right !
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #2: Jan 18, 2011 10:59:41 am
      Steven Gerrard wants Kenny Dalglish to remain as Liverpool manager

Kenny Dalglish talks with Steven Gerrard Kenny Dalglish talks with Steven Gerrard during a Liverpool training session at Melwood. Gerrard has been impressed with Dalglish since he took over from Roy Hodgson. Photograph: John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images

Steven Gerrard wants Kenny Dalglish to remain as the Liverpool manager beyond this season.

Dalglish has been put in temporary charge until the end of the season following the departure of Roy Hodgson and although he has yet to oversee a victory during his three games in charge, the Liverpool captain Gerrard is convinced he is the man to turn the club's fortunes around in the long-term.

"I want to do everything in my power to ensure that he stays here for a long time, beyond the initial six months," Gerrard told LFC Weekly. "I'd love nothing better when the end of the season comes than for us to be on the back of a good run of results that ensures he gets the job full-time. That's my short-term plan, to give everything I've got and all my energy to try to make that happen.

"I won't lie. When Kenny rang to say he was coming back it was a big lift. I love Kenny as a person and I've certainly enjoyed the first few days we've had working with him. I can see a positive future for Kenny at the club."

Liverpool have lost two and drawn one of their matches under Daglish and are only four points above the relegation zone. They face a crucial match at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday when they will again be without Gerrard, who is serving the final game of a three-match ban for his sending off in the FA Cup defeat at Manchester United.

"I think Kenny is the perfect person to get everyone moving in the right direction again," Gerrard said. "He's the talisman at this club. His nickname, the King, says it all really. He's the perfect manager and also the person to bring it all together. It's time to re-group and for us all to be pulling in the right direction because this season certainly hasn't been good enough."

Click Here For Article
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #3: Jan 18, 2011 11:55:13 am
      "I want to do everything in my power to ensure that he stays here for a long time, beyond the initial six months," Gerrard told LFC Weekly. "I'd love nothing better when the end of the season comes than for us to be on the back of a good run of results that ensures he gets the job full-time. That's my short-term plan, to give everything I've got and all my energy to try to make that happen.
      [/quote]

Have to say it is great news that SG is backing KK to stay beyond the end of the season, BUT am I reading a worrying message in his statement?

He has said it's his short-term plan to do all he can to keep Dalglish at the Club.

What if all he and the rest of the playing side does is just not enough to keep Kenny? Does the way he refers to a short-term plan mean he may want to end his playing career somewhere else?

Gerrard won't want to work under yet another manager, not at this stage of his career. Time is running out for him and he will want to win honours. If he decided to go, could anyone really blame him?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Jan 18, 2011 12:01:10 pm
      So he wont want to work under another manager. . . Yet he might leave the club. . . To work under another manager. Your rush to be negative sometimes ignores all logic
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #5: Jan 18, 2011 12:12:04 pm
      What if all he and the rest of the playing side does is just not enough to keep Kenny? Does the way he refers to a short-term plan mean he may want to end his playing career somewhere else?

Gerrard won't want to work under yet another manager, not at this stage of his career. Time is running out for him and he will want to win honours. If he decided to go, could anyone really blame him?

I think you are reading too much in this.

He may perhaps be pissed if Kenny get excellent results like an Uefa cup, and is still replaced, but nothing more.

The only case of Gerrard asking to leave I can imagine is if, after Kenny is unfairly replaced, Mourinho makes an offer for him, as they have a lot of respect for each other. But I doubt it would happen, especially if the manager chosen to replace Kenny is another charismatic man manager (of course if it's a cold tactician like Rafa, it may be a different story).

I have a strong feeling Kenny will be kept anyway. I think owners will come to the conclusion that the team needs stability under a popular manager more than anything else. And when they will see the Kenny shirt and merchandises sales figures since he was appointed, they will also realise keeping him is the best bargain the club can make.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #6: Jan 18, 2011 12:17:09 pm
      Love stuff like this.

Sure somebody will come and pick some negatives out of it though..
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #7: Jan 18, 2011 12:18:57 pm
      I'd like to see what he can do long term, the owners must be considering that I'm sure.  Would be good PR to announce it near the season's end though.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #8: Jan 18, 2011 12:21:53 pm
      No surprise really in this statement, i'm sure we all want Kenny to stay on a permanent basis.

As for Gerrard, now he's 30 i can't see him leaving at all.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #9: Jan 18, 2011 12:46:43 pm
      Great stuff, well said and well in Stevie :)
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #10: Jan 18, 2011 01:10:54 pm
      So he wont want to work under another manager. . . Yet he might leave the club. . . To work under another manager. Your rush to be negative sometimes ignores all logic
      And your failure to see exactly what I mean, as in he wont want to play under another manager AT Liverpool is ignoring all common sense! Certainly not being negative, just how I read it. There is no guarantee Dalglish will stay and under a new manager, it's yet another fresh start meaning it's highly unlikely Gerrard will win a League title if he stays at Anfield.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Jan 18, 2011 01:15:44 pm
      WOuld love King Kenny to stay long-term aswell. Glad to hear that coming from Stevie.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #12: Jan 18, 2011 01:17:01 pm
      I think you are reading too much in this.

He may perhaps be pissed if Kenny get excellent results like an Uefa cup, and is still replaced, but nothing more.

The only case of Gerrard asking to leave I can imagine is if, after Kenny is unfairly replaced, Mourinho makes an offer for him, as they have a lot of respect for each other. But I doubt it would happen, especially if the manager chosen to replace Kenny is another charismatic man manager (of course if it's a cold tactician like Rafa, it may be a different story).

I have a strong feeling Kenny will be kept anyway. I think owners will come to the conclusion that the team needs stability under a popular manager more than anything else. And when they will see the Kenny shirt and merchandises sales figures since he was appointed, they will also realise keeping him is the best bargain the club can make.
      I hope I am believe me. To see Gerrard leave would be another backward step and there has been too many of those of late.

And I also hope KK is kept on, but we have to be realistic. If results don't go Kenny's way then it doesn't matter what shirt or merchandise sales are doing, the new owners will surely not take that risk, otherwise they would have kept Hodgson and saved themselves £7m!
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #13: Jan 18, 2011 02:06:10 pm
      Its always predictable at times like this for a captain to come out and make such a statement.

What would be nice is if every player came out and made a similar statement.  In fact what would be even nicer is for every player to show on the pitch that they mean it.
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 18, 2011 02:11:39 pm
      Good stuff Stevie.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15: Jan 18, 2011 02:31:46 pm
      It would help in recruiting players if they announced Kenny was full time Manager.We have had enough uncertainty lets be positive Kenny for the full time job would be a good start.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #16: Jan 18, 2011 02:48:08 pm
      Nice words there Stevie.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #17: Jan 18, 2011 03:29:59 pm
      Pointless article. SG is the captain of the club so I wouldn't expect him to say anything differently, even if he didn't think it. It's not long ago I remember him saying he was fully behind Hodgson and was happy working with him...
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #18: Jan 18, 2011 03:35:27 pm
      Pointless article. SG is the captain of the club so I wouldn't expect him to say anything differently, even if he didn't think it. It's not long ago I remember him saying he was fully behind Hodgson and was happy working with him...
      Fair point. Maybe if he wasn't suspended he could show Kenny his backing on the pitch!!!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #19: Jan 18, 2011 07:36:50 pm
      Would love him to stay aswell. You can just see with everything else falling into place that it's just a matter of time before Kenny starts picking up wins.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #20: Jan 18, 2011 07:41:03 pm
      The exact reason we needed someone like Kenny in the seat. Gerrard is in genuine awe of Kenny, he has spoken of it in years before at how much he respects him. Gerrard grew up a Liverpool fan and his first years and memories as a fan were right through Kenny's tenure as both player and manager. Unlike Hodgson, Kenny has 100% trust from Gerrard straight away and the want to impress him with his own skills as Kenny's player im sure will be high. This can only help his abilities as both player and a leader.

Happy to see this kind of stuff, hopefully the rest of the squad are in line with this thinking!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #21: Jan 18, 2011 10:27:27 pm
      Would love to see him stay on and start the proper job in the summer.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #22: Jan 19, 2011 10:41:38 am
      My feelings on the issue are simple, i doubt very much that kenny will be considered for the job long term because if it was to be the case why have nesv waiting to appoint him full time in the summer when they can give him the job now?

As for gerrard and even carra i dont think the will be in a title winning side for liverpool.

Quick Reply