Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Q's Top 10 Drummers

Read 9349 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Q's Top 10 Drummers
      Jan 22, 2011 04:11:55 pm
      Q's Top Ten Drummers
      http://news.qthemusic.com/2010/12/top_10_drummers.html

In Q295, Q Magazine counted down their favourite sticksmen and woman. Here they are in all their finery, and not a drummer joke in sight! But do you agree with the selection? Feel free to tell us in the comments below.

10. RENI
      He got the funk
      Laid-back, enigmatic and seldom seen without his signature hat, The Stone Roses' Reni could play anything, from '60s garage pop to wig-out psyche rock - producer John Leckie even noting that the sampled funk loop on Fools Gold didn't sound right until Reni played along to it.

9. Matt Helders
      P diddy's sticksman of choice
      He may have stated that he took up the drums because it was the only instrument left unclaimed in the Arctic Monkeys, but Helders's untutored energy and rasping snare rolls remain as integral to the band's appeal as Alex Turner's angular riffs. Indeed, his skills are now more widely appreciated than ever, with rap mogul P Diddy recently inviting the "funky and soulful" Helders to join up with his Dirty Money crew.

8.?uestlove
      The roots' soul brother #1
      For years hip hop drew on two sources for its beats - the metronomic thump of Roland's famous 808 drum machine and samples from '70s funk. Ahmir Thompson, however, the spectacularly Afro-ed power behind Philadelphia rap collective The Roots, combines both, emulating the machine-like crunch of early Def Jam and James Brown's militantly funky drummers. Little wonder he's in such demand among his peers, most recently beefing up the backbeats for soul crooner John Legend.

7. Moe Tucker
      She does it standing up
      Rock drummers tend to be viewed as a macho breed, yet during her time in The Velvet Underground, Moe Tucker was the polar opposite, with a cool, detached drumming style as uniquely unconventional as her blank, androgynous appearance. Not only did she play standing up, she used mallets rather than sticks on her four-piece kit - a pared-down approach that later inspired Bobby Gillespie-era Jesus And Mary Chain and, naturally, Meg White.

6. John Bonham
      Led Zeppelin's titanic tub-thumper
      The undisputed king of '70s rock, John "Bonzo" Bonham hit as hard as he partied, famously using the heaviest drumsticks available - which he nicknamed "trees" - to pound out intense 15-minute drum solos. His premature death marked the end of Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant remarking that Bonham's was "an impossible role to fill", only to be resurrected via early hip hop (the Beastie Boys sampled his thunderous drum break from When The Levee Breaks) and Spinal Tap's self-destructing drummer gags.

5. Joey Jordison
      Slipknot's masked marauder
      Recently voted the best drummer of the past 25 years by Rhythm magazine - an award he described as "beyond unbelieveable" - the Slipknot man has skills even more terrifying than his stage mask. A master of blurred, double kick-drum riffage, he's since taken the drum solo to previously untested angles, performing on a rotating drum riser which tips forward 90 degrees while illuminated by a glowing pentangle. Not even Tommy Lee attempted that.

4. Sly Dunbar
      Reggae's rhythm king
      Alongside bassist Robbie Shakespeare, Lowell "Sly" Dunbar reinvented Jamaican reggae, his relaxed tempos and dub-inspired double rimshots anchoring great '70s roots albums by Peter Tosh and The Mighty Diamonds. No doubt aware he was irreplaceable, Dunbar wasn't troubled by the arrival of the drum machine, effortlessly blending synth-pop, disco and dancehall on Grace Jones's run of classic early-'80s albums - though even he couldn't repeat the feat for Mick Jagger's She's The Boss.

3. Neil Peart
      Rush's professor of paradiddle
      A drummer joke: What's the last thing a band wants their drummer to say? "Want to try one of my songs?" Unless it's Neil Peart, of course, the rhythmic brain behind Canadian "power trio" Rush, and the group's primary lyricist and songwriter. Equally renowned for his roiling tom-tom breaks and improbably gigantic kits - for a time he boasted back-to-back electronic and acoustic rigs - Peart also introduced future generations of math-rock nerds to the mysteries of 5/4 time signatures and the paradiddle-diddle.

2. Stewart Copeland
      Gobby yank. Sting's nemesis. Drum guru
      He may have looked like an off-duty tennis coach, but it was Copeland's blend of rock power, reggae-inspired timing and jazz finesse which propelled The Police from the London punk circuit to global ubiquity. And while the headbands were in dubious taste, there was no questioning his technique and infectious enthusiasm, whether travelling Africa as "The Rhythmatist" or flicking his drumsticks against the engines of a Saturn V rocket in the video for 1979 chart-topper Walking On The Moon.

1. Keith Moon
      Not called "moon the loon" for nothing...
      The most famous drummer in rock - with good reason. Prior to Moon, drummers mostly sat at the back of the stage keeping time, a convention he upended with a combination of wild showmanship, rampant hedonism and the kind of unstoppable backbeat which powered The Who's My Generation. Tragically, his alcohol intake was as prodigious as his talent and he died aged just 32. But the legend lives on, thanks to incidents such as the time he detonated a firework inside his bass drum live on US TV.

And the worst drummer...

Tommy Lee
      MÖtley Crüe muppet
      More notorious for his offstage antics, Mötley Crüe's Tommy Lee masked his obvious limitations with charisma, mayhem and ludicrous drum solos performed upside down inside a hydraulic cage. At least he can now laugh at himself - a recent internet clip shows him "playing" the breasts of a troupe of bikini models.

Can't argue with who is number 1. Keith Moon is the greatest drummer ever to of lived and it's a shame his lifestyle took his life from him at such a young age. RIP Keith.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: Q's Top 10 Drummers
      Reply #1: Jan 22, 2011 04:16:09 pm
      would have thought that Travis Barker or Taylor Hawkins would have made the list.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Jan 22, 2011 04:21:50 pm
      Lars Ulrich and David Grohl would be on there for me
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Jan 22, 2011 04:25:29 pm
      And Matt Cameron 
      KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #4: Jan 22, 2011 04:32:07 pm
      I think Neil Peart should be a little higher, and Joey Jordison a little lower (coming from a fan of Slipknot) but other than that it's a pretty solid list.

However, Buddy Rich - the man who started it all - is a massive exclusion. How is he not there?

Buddy Rich stick trick solo
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Jan 22, 2011 08:44:48 pm
      Matt Tong.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: Jan 22, 2011 10:57:30 pm
      Stewart Copeland is a cool guy so I'm pleased he's number 2.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Feb 18, 2011 06:32:52 pm
      Keith Moon was a beast.

My favorite drummer, though, is Laurence Colbert (Loz), from Ride. I never expected him to be on the list though, he's an underrated genius :P
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: Feb 18, 2011 06:40:03 pm
      would have thought that Travis Barker or Taylor Hawkins would have made the list.

Gotta understand that there is a lot of great drummers out there, so to get into a top ten would be hard for the likes of them - i agree they are awesome though.

Love that Questlove is in there as well, would have had Bonham higher myself though.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #9: Feb 18, 2011 06:47:49 pm
      I'd have put Travis Barker in there as well. As BigV says, it takes some doing to get into this top 10 but Travis is not only technically brilliant but he is able to adapt his style depending on the band / artist he is playing with. Although he's best know for drumming with Blink 182, Box Car Racer and +44, let's not forget that he's worked with artists like Black Eyed Peas, TI, Mary J Blige and N.E.R.D to name a few, as well as standing in when drummers from other bands are unavailable for gigs.
      Drumming-wise, he's a f***in genious tbh.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Feb 18, 2011 06:53:52 pm
      I'm a big fan of Matt Helders so I would have had him higher, Dave Grohl's a 'must' and i'd also insert Nicko McBrain onto my list.

The mind and time plays tricks on folks if they buy into the mythology that Keith Moon's keeping beat to a Mod combo was either inspiring or great. Stewart Copeland at number two? Give my head peace, for F**k's sake.  >:D

little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #11: Feb 18, 2011 06:59:47 pm
      I'm not on my phone so I cant link it but the video of Travis Barker drumming upside down is brilliant. I'll be home soon so i'll throw it up then. I love the way he adopted his pattern or drumming too when he was in a sling. Think he incorporated more pedals.
      Over time he may be added to the list. Dave Grohl is a great shout.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #12: Feb 18, 2011 07:00:02 pm
      ... i'd also insert Nicko McBrain onto my list.

Good shout, an idol of mine as a kid!
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #13: Feb 18, 2011 10:47:51 pm
      Danny Carey of Tool is a beast on the skins .
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: Feb 18, 2011 11:00:23 pm
      I'd have put Travis Barker in there as well. As BigV says, it takes some doing to get into this top 10 but Travis is not only technically brilliant but he is able to adapt his style depending on the band / artist he is playing with. Although he's best know for drumming with Blink 182, Box Car Racer and +44, let's not forget that he's worked with artists like Black Eyed Peas, TI, Mary J Blige and N.E.R.D to name a few, as well as standing in when drummers from other bands are unavailable for gigs.
      Drumming-wise, he's a f***in genious tbh.

soulja boy crank that remix by travis parker

This is one of my fav Barker works. He makes that set his bi*ch!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2011 09:21:25 am
      Moon my ARSE. ...Check this out:  ;D

this drummer is at the wrong gig
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,867 posts | 165 
      Reply #16: Feb 20, 2011 01:06:28 am
      Cozy Powell was a great drummer.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #17: Feb 20, 2011 02:00:58 am
      My top vote would have to go to Neil Peart.  That guy is simply amazing.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #18: Feb 20, 2011 02:39:56 am
      I hate Q, biggest mainstream indie basher's out there.

Their top 10 is completely and utterly irrelevant.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #19: Feb 23, 2011 09:45:22 pm
      acdc"s phil rudd the best
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #20: Mar 02, 2011 12:49:49 pm
      Wrong gig, wrong band the lad is massive - Keith Moon was always off it but this guy seems unaffected imagine if he was spiked with the mind expanding ingredient.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #21: Mar 02, 2011 01:04:13 pm
      Lists like these are always great for a good arl debate.

Depends how you view it really do you look at players from bands or actual talent?

Johnny Rabb is one of the greatest drummers of all time, but he's a session so i doubt any of you know who he is.  More often than not Vinnie Paul will get a good nod from critics, but just because he can play slow and fast doesnt mean that he could keep time on a fusion jazz track with an insane time sig.

Dave Grohl would be it for me, when they say he hits them hard they dont lie.  His drumming on Song For The Deaf is brilliant (check out his prodigy stuff too)

Moon will win it the same Hendrix often wins these things, by standing out.  Moon wasnt close to an amazing technique and skillfull drummer.  He had talent and just didnt give a sh*t.

I read an interview with Joey Jordison once and he said that while double bass drumming he noticed his left left was weaker than his right and creating an inconsistant sound - so he wore weights around his leg to beef it up.  I love stuff like that.

Seriously tho, check out JoJo Mayer.

Frankfurt Musikmesse - Jojo Mayer - 1 (Booth)

If that doesnt impress you then i dont know what will
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #22: Mar 02, 2011 02:20:37 pm
      Dave Grohl would be it for me, when they say he hits them hard they dont lie.  His drumming on Song For The Deaf is brilliant
      Agreed! One of the best tracks I've heard from a drumming point of view.

Quick Reply