Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

ICC Cricket World Cup

Read 35437 times
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts |
      Re: ICC Cricket World Cup
      Reply #253: Apr 04, 2011 09:07:33 am
      Stop arguing guys.Both of them are great batsmen.I am sure neither of you will be able to force their opinion cause Sachin is God in India so whatever stats or info you give about any other player can never make any Indian think he is better than Sachin.Sachin IS the BEST batasman the world has seen.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #254: Apr 04, 2011 09:11:52 am
      Its not an argument, i have a lot of respect for Jindal :D Just a debate over sports, which is what this forum is often about.

Ironic statement by you to stay stop arguing and then to make a comment like "Sachin IS the BEST.." :roll:
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts |
      Reply #255: Apr 04, 2011 09:27:40 am
      My mistake.I meant to say Sachin is the best batsman to all Indians and so to me as well.I was trying to say that neither of you will be able to win the debate.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #256: Apr 04, 2011 01:13:15 pm
      BigV you are again talking averages. :D
      Averages, strike-rates etc. they are just useless statistics.

'Big run totals'. That's what matters in the end, doesn't it? Runs. ;)

"Why didn't anyone get close to him back then" you say? C'mon, I'm not saying Sir Bradman wasn't not good. No one's denying he was, is and will remain a LEGEND.
      I was just stressing that if after doing so much you still can't be called the best batsman, then no one can. Because let's face it, no one's gonna surpass Sachin even in the distant future.

If it took 60 years to find someone "Bradmanesque', it will take take atleast 50 more to find another even remotely close to Sachin. :D
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #257: Apr 04, 2011 03:11:15 pm
      Phil Tufnell is the best batsman I have ever seen. ;)

Na for what its worth, I reckon Sir Don Bradman is untouchable.  I don't like to use statistics as a basis for an argument but Bradman's are effing sensational.  That average will never ever be replicated again.  Just a shame he was out for a duck in his last match. :D

As for the rest, Sachin is in a league of his own.  Brian Lara has always been my favourite cricketer and when he was in his prime I always favoured him over Sachin.  There were certainly loads of Sachin v Lara debates back then but its not even up for debate now.  Tendulkar has surpassed every other batsman in history, apart from Bradman. ;) 

He's a God in all forms of cricket but a mere mortal when compared to Sir Donald Bradman.
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #258: Apr 04, 2011 04:12:39 pm
      All I got to say is i am over the moon with us winning the cup and all. I can't even wipe the stupid grin of my face even now. The funny side is Nike has come up with this "bleed blue" thing and that's got to be something that might turn the red against India.(I hope not).     
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #259: Apr 04, 2011 04:12:52 pm
      What the hell? :D "Statistics are useless, averages and all that, useless"  - run totals are just F***ing statistics as well! Okay, since you like your run totals so much - Bradman scored 6996 runs in 52 matches. Sachin has 14,000-odd in 177 matches. Tell me which sounds better to you?

As Matt said, Sachin is the best now and best since Bradman. But Bradman is untouchable, and to try and use inflated totals of the modern game to justify your argument sounds petty. Especially if Sachin had an awesome average you would use that - i know you would.

If your argument is valid then that means Ponting is better than Bradman as well as a sh*t load of other players. I love Ponting, but he aint ever gonna get near Bradman.

Is a shame he went for a duck in that last match though :D Makes his story so much better in a way though, one of those great discussion points about the great man.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #260: Apr 04, 2011 07:59:10 pm
      Bradman played mostly against England and he got used to that bowling thats why scored over 5000 runs with an average of around 92. One series against each minnows [India, SouthAfrica and WestIndies were new in cricket that time] and scored heavily against them. Never played in Indian Sub-Continent against Indian spinners. Playing at Indian pitches is never been easy for any batsman.Nowdays Australian thinks Ricky Ponting is the best batsman after Bradman from Australia. Look his record in India! Sachin’s average in Australia is above 54. A batsman is perfect when he scores against really class bowlings. Excluding Larwood Bradman never played any quality bowlers. (and the other 2 were CV Grimmett & RR Lindwall, who belong to his own country) He never played against a bowler who bowls something like 160kmph+ on hard fast pitch where batsman hardly gets a chance to think of what should be played, whereas Sachin played against Ambrose-Walsh-Bishop, Wasim-Waqar-Akhtar, McGrath-Lee-Gilespie, Donald-Pollock, Warne-Murli and many more. The swing was unknown during that time, Sachin has to play reverse swing, which was no one could even imagined.

The fielder shattering stumps from the boundary was unheard in Bradman’s time. Just see the class of fielding nowadays, Rhodes, Ponting, Gibbs. The standard of fielding is far much better than it was in that time!

True that the average of 99.94 is considered to be top achievement in any sport statistically, however Cricket is not just a game of averages. There are many other things which should be consider like the standard of playing cricket.
      Sachin the Greatest Batsman EVER without a shadow of doubt.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #261: Apr 04, 2011 08:03:33 pm

Sachin the Greatest Batsman EVER without a shadow of doubt.

Bull F***ing sh*t. Thats all i have to say about that.

Twist it however you want, i know every single one of you would say the same thing if it was an Indian batsman in Bradmans place. And i would agree.

Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #262: Apr 04, 2011 08:09:27 pm
      Bull f**king sh*t. Thats all I have to say about that.

Twist it however you want, I know every single one of you would say the same thing if it was an Indian batsman in Bradmans place. And I would agree.

Nope. That is not the case. Sachin has set the milestone for every other batsmen. He has got majority of the Records under his Belt. Even scored 200 in an ODI. Still he's not the Greatest player?

You're in Denial David.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #263: Apr 04, 2011 08:12:27 pm
      Tendulkar’s versatility, longevity and productivity are so far ahead of his closest rival in the game. Just as Don Bradman’s Test average of 99.94 was more than 50 per cent better than anyone else, so Tendulkar’s tally of 99 international hundreds is similarly out of reach of his nearest competitor, Ricky Ponting, who has 69.

Bradman was extraordinary, but he only ever played in Australia and England. Bradman watched Tendulkar bat, famously saying that the way he fashioned runs reminded him of himself. Sachin Tendulkar is the best batsman who ever took guard
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #264: Apr 04, 2011 08:29:46 pm
      Not in denial at all mate. You're all just high on victory and suddenly proclaiming him as the best ever.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #265: Apr 04, 2011 08:37:30 pm
      Not in denial at all mate. You're all just high on victory and suddenly proclaiming him as the best ever.

Nope Mate.World cup or not, I've always rated him the best Ever.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #266: Apr 04, 2011 11:12:45 pm
      Next world cup only going to have ten teams in it apparently. That means big boys only. Ireland out. Pity it was just starting to get noticed in this country
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #267: Apr 05, 2011 02:01:38 am
      Nope Mate.World cup or not, I've always rated him the best Ever.

So you were delusional before the world cup even?! Christ, you need help ;)

Next world cup only going to have ten teams in it apparently. That means big boys only. Ireland out. Pity it was just starting to get noticed in this country

An attempt to shorten how long it goes for im sure. Still sad to get rid of teams like Ireland, hopefully they can push on and get some interest going anyways!

little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #268: Apr 05, 2011 02:34:01 am
      ara Ireland beat England, what more can ya want!! ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #269: Apr 05, 2011 02:45:26 am
      I'd admit them life membership to the World Cup for that ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #270: Apr 05, 2011 03:24:09 am
      I tried to watch a game but...  :sleeping-smiley-011:
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #271: Apr 05, 2011 04:20:51 am
      Arrie well covered most of the technical aspects. :D

And yes BigV, average is just a nonsensical statistic, it doesn't show true quality of a batsman. True, Bradman's average is unbeatable and shows his class, but that's not the case everytime.
      Whereas runs show how good a cricketer you are, how many runs you've been able to score your entire career.

I was surprised to find you arguing that "runs scored" is a useless statistic. :D

P.S. It's not the high of victory that's making everyone sing Sachin's name. World has known Sachin as a great batsman for a long time. It's just that with the winning of the World Cup, he has sort of 'come of age' in manner of cricketing achievements.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #272: Apr 05, 2011 04:23:40 am
      I tried to watch a game but...  :sleeping-smiley-011:

I heard this news long time back that there was some sort of tie-up between India and Brazil wherein Brazil would help develop Indian football and India would help development of cricket in Brazil.
      Watch out for that, might ignite an interest in cricket in you. ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #273: Apr 05, 2011 04:36:46 am
      Arrie well covered most of the technical aspects. :D

And yes BigV, average is just a nonsensical statistic, it doesn't show true quality of a batsman. True, Bradman's average is unbeatable and shows his class, but that's not the case everytime.
      Whereas runs show how good a cricketer you are, how many runs you've been able to score your entire career.

I was surprised to find you arguing that "runs scored" is a useless statistic. :D

P.S. It's not the high of victory that's making everyone sing Sachin's name. World has known Sachin as a great batsman for a long time. It's just that with the winning of the World Cup, he has sort of 'come of age' in manner of cricketing achievements.

Your wrong. Just plain wrong. Average is directly related to runs scored and matches played, so your argument is f**king stupid saying that Average is 'nonsensical' - you do realize all pundits and experts constantly talk averages right? Or does your media change things to suit the Indian mystique of the great Sachin? Didn't you see what I posted? Bradman had knocked in just under 7,000 runs in his career that was under one third of the matches played by Sachin. For fucks sake, stop being so blind and f**king check his stats.

EDIT: Im not trying to be insulting here either, i just want you to know how stupid your argument sounds to someone who has grown up knowing averages are one of the main barometers for a players career. You can play for 20 years and score a shitload of runs, but if you only scored 30 per game then you weren't doing as well as your decently impressive run total for 20 years would say, right?
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2011 04:43:16 am by bigvYNWA »
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #274: Apr 05, 2011 05:16:58 am
      Your wrong. Just plain wrong. Average is directly related to runs scored and matches played, so your argument is f**king stupid saying that Average is 'nonsensical' - you do realize all pundits and experts constantly talk averages right? Or does your media change things to suit the Indian mystique of the great Sachin? Didn't you see what I posted? Bradman had knocked in just under 7,000 runs in his career that was under one third of the matches played by Sachin. For fucks sake, stop being so blind and f**king check his stats.

EDIT: Im not trying to be insulting here either, I just want you to know how stupid your argument sounds to someone who has grown up knowing averages are one of the main barometers for a players career. You can play for 20 years and score a shitload of runs, but if you only scored 30 per game then you weren't doing as well as your decently impressive run total for 20 years would say, right?

And all the Runs he scored was against england with their F**k all bowling.That must be quite scary. Playing all his life agianst the same set of bowlers. The Time when cricket was not even matured as a game. No Technology, Nothing. Wake up David. Cricket has been far more difficult that that was of the bradman Era.

If Sir Don had scored that some set of runs in the 70's or 80's. Than No doubt it wouldve've been Bradman over Sachin. As i mentioned he doesnot faced the Spin of Warne, Murli, Mushtaq. And Serious pace like Akhtar and Lee. Deadly Swing Bowling of Akram, Mcgrath Etc. They all are Great Bowlers. But Sachin Rip Em Apart. I am Repeating this Because You haven't answered my previous posts Yet.

Stats are worthless my friend. It's like an Aussie batsman Like Hmmmm Callum Ferguson had scored shitload runs against England and other Minnows( Like Canada, Kenya). Never Faced the Real Quality Bowling. So that would be made him the greatest? against a batsmen who been the Best all his life.
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts |
      Reply #275: Apr 05, 2011 05:48:37 am
      I am telling you the thread will reach 100 pages and still none of you will be able to come to a conclusion.

Quick Reply