Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Andy Gray and Richard Keys caught in sexism slur during LFC game

Read 36209 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: 'Women don't know the offside rule'
      Reply #23: Jan 23, 2011 07:08:59 pm
      Can't wait to see what 'Mr Expert listen to me I know everything Gray' says when we have the first female Ref. Idiot  :f_steam:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #24: Jan 23, 2011 08:24:00 pm
      Can't wait to see what 'Mr Expert listen to me I know everything Gray' says when we have the first female Ref. Idiot  :f_steam:

Not going to see that in the EPL in my life time.

I would like to see the Mancs have a go at a Female Ref, she send all the scum off in a heart beat.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #25: Jan 23, 2011 08:30:59 pm
      I thought the linewoman did good yesterday, got arguably the biggest decision of the match correct.
      ^
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #26: Jan 23, 2011 09:12:23 pm
      What a pair of idiots, stuck in their old ways. She did a great job yesterday and like it's been mentioned got the biggest decision right.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #27: Jan 23, 2011 10:06:29 pm
      Its not acceptable that the pair of them still retain their positions at sky,they were outdated comments from two outdated pundits.

Disgrace.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #28: Jan 23, 2011 10:08:44 pm
      Another article with the transcripts

Just heard it now on the radio.  What a pair of utter gobshites.  In any case the assistant got the decision right and gave us the goal.  Just goes to show how much their anti-LFC bias was clouding their judgement.

Sky Sports was under pressure last night to discipline its top football presenting team, Richard Keys and Andy Gray, after they were recorded making sexist remarks about two female match officials and a leading female football executive.

Keys and Gray were recorded during transmission of Saturday's Premier League match between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Liverpool complaining that the assistant referee, Sian Massey, probably didn't know the offside rule and that someone "fu**ed up big" by appointing a female match official. "The game's gone mad," said Keys, the channel's football anchor. The recording was not broadcast, but was passed to the Mail on Sunday by an anonymous source.

Massey, 25, was running the line in a Premier League game for only the second time and made a crucial, finely judged offside decision when Fernando Torres scored the first goal for Liverpool. She is one of three assistant referees selected for promotion by the Premier League and has been earmarked as a potential official in for the biggest matches. There are 853 female referees in England and the number is rising.

In the 50-second exchange, Gray also attacked Wendy Toms, who in the late 90s became the first female assistant referee in the Premier League, saying: "She was f**king hopeless as well." Keys turned his fire on Karren Brady, the deputy chair of West Ham, who on Saturday wrote a newspaper column saying she had been the victim of sex discrimination from the football media. "See charming Karren Brady this morning complaining about sexism?" Keys said. "Yeah. Do me a favour, love."

The remarks drew criticism from across the game. "It is absolutely abhorrent that gender is the only consideration when talking about female officials," Brady told the Guardian. "I am very interested to see what the bosses at Sky Sports think of this and then we will know whether sexism goes to the top of the game or not."

The comments were branded "medieval" by Fare, a Europe-wide campaign group opposed to discrimination in football. "They reveal the appalling and damaging sexist attitudes that exist across football," said Piara Powar, its executive director. "If they had made the same comments about a black or Asian linesman we would be looking at what happened to Ron Atkinson [who was urged to resign as a pundit by ITV in 2004 after he made a racist remark live on air about the black Chelsea player Marcel Desailly when he thought the microphone was off]."

Sky said last night: "The comments are not acceptable. They were not made on air but we have spoken to Richard and Andy and told them our views and they have apologised and expressed their regret."

The FA issued a statement which offered "wholehearted and continuing support" for female match officials.

Mike Riley, general manager of the referees' body said: "All referees and assistant referees are appointed on merit and ability. They are assessed on their performances only."

Caught offside

Richard Keys: Well, somebody better get down there and explain offside to her.

Andy Gray: Yeah, I know. Can you believe that? Female linesman. Forget what I said – they probably don't know the offside rule.

RK: Course they don't.

AG: Why is there a female linesman? Somebody's fu**ed up big.

RK: I can guarantee you there'll be a big one today. Kenny [Dalglish, Liverpool's manager] will go potty. This is not the first time. Didn't we have one before?

AG: Yeah.

RK: Wendy Toms.

AG: Wendy Toms, something like that. She was f**king hopeless as well.

RK: [exasperated groan]

AG: [inaudible]

RK: No, no, it's got to be done, it's good. The game's gone mad. See charming Karren Brady this morning complaining about sexism? Yeah. Do me a favour, love.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2011/jan/23/sky-presenters-sexist-remarks-female-official
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #29: Jan 23, 2011 10:12:59 pm
      Hmm. So the FA have issued "wholehearted and continued support" for females continued participation (fair enough of course) but no other action?

:roll:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Re: Andy Gray and Richard Keys caught in sexism slur during LFC game
      Reply #30: Jan 23, 2011 10:15:03 pm
      Maybe some of our female fans who fork out for Sky Sports might like to write the company a letter or two and get these pair of f**king tools off our TV?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #31: Jan 23, 2011 10:37:36 pm
      Go Scal Qaeda on their asses.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,374 posts | 2821 
      Reply #32: Jan 23, 2011 10:40:39 pm
      Disgraceful that.

Better lose their F***ing jobs over it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Jan 23, 2011 10:57:05 pm
      Keys and Andy Gray? You'd get more wit and intelligence out of an episode of Chucklevision than those pair of stand out pricks.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #34: Jan 23, 2011 10:58:01 pm
      Jesus christ, that's quite shocking.  What a pair of gobshites.  They need sacking over that.  F***ing bigots.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Jan 23, 2011 11:15:58 pm
      No linking the leak of this to Gray's case against NOTW. Wonder will he drop the case
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #36: Jan 24, 2011 08:53:17 am
      For a long time I have felt Andy Gray was so far up his own backside he could see daylight, and as for Richard Keys, I find that little 'look' at the camera he does sooooo freaking annoying.
      What they said was unaaceptable, and although some will say that it was not broadcasted, if that is an indication as to how their immature, narrow-minded little peanut brains work, it could influence how they behave when on air in other ways.
      The linesman/woman got it right and it is a fact that women are more able to make judgement calls like that and get them right more often than not.
      A public apology (not through the media department) to her is the least they should do.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #37: Jan 24, 2011 08:59:31 am
      Maybe some of our female fans who fork out for Sky Sports might like to write the company a letter or two and get these pair of f**king tools off our TV?
      Agreed...be interesting to see what coverage Sky gives to it as well
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #38: Jan 24, 2011 09:08:21 am
      The fact they didn't say it on air, indeed they said something positive about her on air, shows to me that they know that what they were saying was wrong.

Which makes them 2 faced cu*ts.

Why bother apologising? It is their medievil opinion, obviously and they are entitled to it.

They are obviously not sorry for saying it, but sorry for being caught saying it.

I'm sorry but any apology is not heart felt or sincere, it will be merely to cover their own and SKY's arses, not because they are sorry.

Just boot the cu*ts of our tele. Apology or not. Take Jamie Redknapp with them.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #39: Jan 24, 2011 09:45:10 am
      I was at the game and before our first goal she didnt give a handball to us when we were attacking and she got some serious verbal abuse from our fans. When Raul was played through I was right inline with it and thought she had got it wrong, it looked way offside and we were all laughing in the crowd and the shouts to her got nicer from a fair few....!! Fair play though when I got home and watched it back she was spot on.

Still I cant stand these 2 pair of idiots but in all honesty there were many comments from the away end that were saying the same thing.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #40: Jan 24, 2011 09:59:22 am
      Werent these 2 caught out in the recent past as well? Thought the mics were off and past comment on a player or manager or something like that? I think they were but for the life of me cant think of the incident
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #41: Jan 24, 2011 10:11:02 am
      Werent these 2 caught out in the recent past as well? Thought the mics were off and past comment on a player or manager or something like that? I think they were but for the life of me cant think of the incident

Think it was Theo Walcott, thats the only other instance I remember. They gave him some uncalled for abuse. Just imagine what they say during every game that they have got away with, I bet this recent one was quite tame compared to some of their comments that haven't been leaked.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #42: Jan 24, 2011 10:17:29 am
      Other instances:

It's not the first time Keys has been caught out making unguarded comments while believing his microphone was off. In 2010, Keys was caught mocking Theo Walcott, saying: 'Get up you stupid little boy. You've been s***e, son, in your daft pink boots - absolute rubbish.'

And in 2007 he was caught mocking the Tórsvøllur stadium in the Faroe Islands during an international match between the Faroe Islands and Scotland, saying: 'Daft little ground, silly game, f**k off.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/853433-sky-sports-andy-gray-and-richard-keys-in-sexist-rant-at-female-linesman#ixzz1BwlPghdL
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #43: Jan 24, 2011 10:17:49 am

Done it a few times fella.

Once during a women's game, may have been the women's FA Cup Final.  Also some Scotland game - may have been in the Faroe Islands.  Sure it's all on Youtube.

Andy Gray & Richard Keys Laughing At Women's Football

Richard Keyes Screwup
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #44: Jan 24, 2011 10:40:18 am
      Kenny just asked Sky's Vinny O'Connor if he had any problems with the presence of a female journo for the Fulham pre-match conference; haha.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #45: Jan 24, 2011 10:41:58 am
      Kenny just asked Sky's Vinny O'Connor if he had any problems with the presence of a female journo for the Fulham pre-match conference; haha.

:gt-happyup:  Nice one Kenny!

Quick Reply

Connection Problems

Connection issue

LFC Reds is temporarily unavailable - check back in the next few minutes.