Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Alan Green on King Kenny

Read 5003 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Alan Green on King Kenny
      Jan 26, 2011 05:21:24 pm

In his column in the Belfast Telegraph, Radio 5-Live's Alan Green explains why Kenny Dalglish will soon be silencing certain football correspondents.

Alan Green: Kenny Dalglish will make a write fool of his media begrudgers

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/alan-green/alan-green-kenny-dalglish-will-make-a-write-fool-of-his-media-begrudgers-15062969.html#ixzz1CAAj8ANi

The other Sunday I sat in the Spurs press room prior to their game against Manchester United. One of the early kick-offs, the Merseyside derby, was being shown on the various television monitors.

I couldn't help but notice that Raul Meireles' goal for Liverpool was greeted in silence whereas the two Everton strikes early in the second half, after which I had to leave to get to the commentary position, provoked roars of approval. To quote the late Rafa Benitez, that is a "fact".

Many of the country's football correspondents were at White Hart Lane - it was easily the biggest game of the day - most with no connection whatsoever to Merseyside. Are they really 'anti-Liverpool' or, for whatever reason, are they against the 'second coming' of Kenny Dalglish and hoping it will fail? I may be entirely wrong but that's how it seemed.

Too stout a defence has been made by too many regarding the Roy Hodgson regime. Too much was made of Dalglish failing to win any of his first three games: after all, two were away from home, a Hodgson 'forte', and the other was the Everton battle. Anyhow, it now looks as if many may be disappointed.

Liverpool will not win the title. They will not qualify for the Champions League. It's unlikely they'll make the Europa League unless they win this season's competition. However, if I correctly lip-read Sammy Lee as he turned to Dalglish after Torres scored Liverpool's third at Molineux, I agree: "We're back!" he screamed.

Wolves' Stephen Ward, who scored the only goal when the sides met just after Christmas, said: "Things change when a new manager comes in and credit to Liverpool, they've come down here (where Chelsea and Manchester City both lost) and been a lot better than when we won at Anfield." Too right.

Saturday's was only Liverpool's third away win in 21 games but it was a huge improvement on anything seen under Hodgson. Dalglish has totally changed the atmosphere with a return to the playing style the club's supporters have longed for: 'the Liverpool way'.

Yes, Fernando Torres was a lone striker but he 'felt' far from alone given the willingness of others, particularly the outstanding Meireles, to rush forward in support. This was a revived Liverpool, a wholly positive Liverpool, casting off the negativity of the previous manager.

It's still a long way forward. The return of Steven Gerrard after suspension tomorrow night against Fulham poses the question as to where Meireles will play. Why not play the skipper deeper and allow the Portuguese international to flourish in that role at the centre of the three behind Torres?

And where, if Ian Holloway isn't affronted by another "disgraceful" bid - I gather Blackpool are being offered at least eight times what they paid for the player - would Charlie Adam fit in?

Surely the priorities lie elsewhere? They need a left back, probably Stephen Warnock, initially on loan, and a really good central defender alongside Daniel Agger. That may have to wait till the summer. Above all, it is essential Dalglish signs a quality striker. That's why Damien Camolli is in Amsterdam in pursuit of Luis Suarez.

But, rest assured, especially certain correspondents, Liverpool are on the up.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/alan-green-on-kenny-dalglish

Despite what others say I find Alan Green a very good football commentator and was the only leading football commentator within the British press who didn't gush sycophantic sympathy on Roy Hodgson's task. Here he further proves himself to be a cut above the rest of the majority of football commentators who quite frankly make an absolute joke of their jobs.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Re: Alan Green on King Kenny
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2011 05:28:06 pm
      And could be put in the KK thread. :roll:
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Jan 26, 2011 05:29:35 pm
      I'm also a fan of Alan Green, FMS. He may waffle a lot when he should be telling you what's happening on the pitch but he also talks a lot of sense, even if it's likely to upset people.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #3: Jan 26, 2011 05:33:12 pm
      Very good article and very revealing how some of the national press hate us,it has long been a notion that a lot of the press have a slant against liverpool ,this sort of proves it to be right.

They were all right behind hodgson from the start , but when it went tits up and he was sacked,it was,oh poor roy its a disgrace how liverpool have treated him,even though roys regime was shocking.

Bet them same tw*ts will be licking kk arse from now on.

Always liked alan green,just says it as it is '
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4: Jan 26, 2011 05:47:42 pm
      Alan Green can is mouthy but he puts to shame those "journalists" such as that sweaty fat nonce of a c**t Danny Kelly on Talkshite. That guy will keel over and die the way he's carrying on.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,947 posts | 5007 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Jan 26, 2011 05:49:39 pm
      Hoorah, hoorah, lets all have a party, at last a broadcaster who sees it how it is, well said Alan Green my opinion of you has enriched, i just wish he had named names, but then again that would prove a lack of professionalism, something clearly lacking from those at sky, allegedly.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #6: Jan 26, 2011 05:50:53 pm
      They will not cheer a Liverpool goal because is Ferguson finds out he will not talk to them. Southern based media are all dickheads anyhow.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #7: Jan 26, 2011 06:39:31 pm
      That tw*t ferguscum wont speak to him either,another plus for mr green.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #8: Jan 26, 2011 07:25:43 pm
      For some strange reason i have always liked Green perhaps its because he calls a spade a spade and is honest if a team is crap he says so, perhaps i just like his honesty.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #9: Jan 26, 2011 07:58:24 pm
      Yet another reason to love Alan Green.
      Bozkat
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 26, 2011 08:03:45 pm
      Excellent article, liked the comments about that nut job Holloway. Blackpool signed Adam from Rangers for £500,000 now the're trying to take us to the cleaners.

Well said Alan Green, always honest if anything.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Jan 26, 2011 09:52:57 pm
      That tw*t ferguscum wont speak to him either,another plus for mr green.

Good point. Sam Allardyce is another one after he offended the fat b***ard by saying 'I wouldn't pay to watch them (Bolton)' in 2006.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #12: Jan 26, 2011 11:41:17 pm
      Alan Green, really like him as a commentator, had a soft spot since he had a right go at Roy Keane during a Man United - Villa match.  Keane had just rabbit-punched (I think) Lee Hendrie and got away with it and then just spent 5 minutes slagging off Roy & United's aggression,including their propensity to harangue referees.  Was radio gold.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2011 01:55:50 am
      I'll always remember listening to 5 live and Greeny's commentary during the epic night against Olympiakos. I'll always remember as a 14 year old sitting on my bedroom floor listening to the analogue radio and urging for something in the last minute and then Green screams 'WHAT A GOOOAAALL' and then me and my brother went absolutely ballistic. Seeing as I don't have Sky and never will get it Green has commentated on many a legendary moment for which terrestrial tv sadly can't provide.
       I'd also love to hear the 5 live commentary of Istanbul again. I remember listening to 606 that night following the conclusion of the ITV coverage and hearing the radio commentary extracts from the match. All I remember when Jerzy saved that Schevchenko penalty was 'DUDEK SAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVESSSSSS SS' If anyones got it I'd love to hear it again
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,462 posts | 4591 
      Reply #14: Jan 27, 2011 03:19:34 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #15: Jan 27, 2011 03:29:41 pm
      Despite what others say I find Alan Green a very good football commentator and was the only leading football commentator within the British press who didn't gush sycophantic sympathy on Roy Hodgson's task. Here he further proves himself to be a cut above the rest of the majority of football commentators who quite frankly make an absolute joke of their jobs.

Might have something to do with him being a bit of a massive red!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Jan 27, 2011 04:03:55 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,462 posts | 4591 
      Reply #17: Jan 27, 2011 04:10:00 pm

;)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #18: Jan 27, 2011 04:41:36 pm
      Quotes by Alan Green

Leicester 0, Wimbledon 1, Football minus 1.

The bad thing about the match going into penalties is the fact that someone will have to lose!

Quick Reply