Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Worlds greatest stadiums

Read 19584 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Worlds greatest stadiums
      Jan 27, 2011 09:02:33 pm
      Anfield aside

What are the greatest stadiums in the world that you have been in or just seen on tv? Doesnt have to be the largest in size just your opinion on what yo feel is a top arena

Croke Park, Dublin

82,300 capacity. 144 meteres x 88 meters

Opened in 1913 "Croker" is the home of the GAA. Gaelic athletic association. An amateur organisation encompassing the sports of Gaelic football, hurling, camogie and handball. The all Ireland finals are held here as well as several provincial championship games.

Recently the Irish soccer and rugby trams have used the ground. Leinster v Munster in the heineken cup tie held here set a new record attendance of 82208 for a rugby union club game

At full capacity the atmosphere is electric, particularly when the Dublin football team are in action. Hill 16, so called as it was built from the rubble of the 1916 rising, is a terrace area and again when the Dublin team are in action it creates an outstanding atmosphere. In the 70's and early 80's it would compare to the Kop for atmospher songs and banter with the local police!!

Considering it was built by an amateur association Croke park in my view should always be regarded amongst the breat stadiums in the world. Its one downfall is the grey look it has on th outside   
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Worlds greatest stadiums
      Reply #1: Jan 27, 2011 09:26:05 pm
      For me, for one I have been to, it's Autzen Stadium right here in Eugene, Oregon. Widely regarded as one of the toughest places to play in all of college football, the atmosphere is absolutely cracking. The design of the stadium actually aids in trapping the noise inside and really making it hard for other teams to play. Unlike most other stadiums, it's actually built into the ground a bit - and then is built in a bowl shape, rather than the more traditional rectangle shape of most. Having been there myself, I can testify to how f**king loud it is. It's brilliant! And I was only in the cheap standing room spots up the top, apparently in the lower stands and field level it is MUCH much louder.

Autzen Crowd Noise

Autzen is known for its crowd noise. The fans are very close to the field compared to other stadiums and the field is sunken, which contributes to the loudness of the stadium despite having a smaller capacity than several other stadiums.[17]. On October 27, 2007, during a 24–17 defeat of the USC Trojans, a then-record crowd of 59,277 fans was recorded at 127.2 decibels. A similarly-loud 31–27 upset of third-ranked Michigan in 2003 prompted a Michigan Daily columnist to write[18]

“Autzen's 59,000 strong make the Big House collectively sound like a pathetic whimper. It’s louder than any place I’ve ever been, and that includes The Swamp at Florida, The Shoe in Columbus, and Death Valley at Louisiana State. Autzen Stadium is where great teams go to die.”

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr later said that Autzen Stadium was the loudest stadium he'd ever been in.[19]

In 2006, a Sporting News columnist named Autzen the most intimidating college football stadium in the nation.[20]

Lee Corso of ESPN College Gameday frequently says that; "Per person Autzen Stadium is the loudest stadium that I have ever been in my entire life!"[21]

Jahvid Best, a starting running back for the California Golden Bears said of his game in 2007 at Autzen Stadium, "The biggest thing I remember about that game is the crowd. The crowd noise is crazy up there. Honestly, any other away game I don't really even hear the crowd. Oregon was the only place where it really got on my nerves."[22]

As a head coach for the California Golden Bears, Jeff Tedford said, "Their fans are so educated that they're really prepared as far as when to make noise and when not to make noise. You can quiet some crowds down if you score early and things like that. Not in Autzen. They're going to keep roaring the whole game, that's just the way they are."[23]
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autzen_Stadium

Autzen Stadium is Loud  

LFChrisLFC
      • Forum Ian St John

• 425 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: Jan 27, 2011 09:56:24 pm
      I have to say the Allianz Arena, looks great from outside and everything (my opinion) and is as modern as it gets.

The Allianz Arena is a football stadium in the north of Munich, Germany. The two professional Munich football clubs FC Bayern Munich and TSV 1860 München have played their home games at Allianz Arena since the start of the 2005–06 season.

Effective with the city's approval of modifications that was granted January 16, 2006, the legal capacity of the stadium has increased from 66,000 to 69,901 spectators (including standing room). The lower tier can seat up to 20,000, the middle tier up to 24,000, and the upper tier up to 22,000. 10,400 of the seats in the lower tier corners can be converted to standing room to allow an additional 3,120 spectators. The total capacity includes 2,000 business seats, 400 seats for the press, 106 luxury boxes with seating for up to 174 and 165 berths for wheelchairs and the like.

Stadium: 258 m x 227 m x 50 m
      Playing level: 120 m x 83 m
      Gross grass area: 111 m x 72 m
      Playing field: 105 m x 68 m
      Parking garage: 270,000 m²

The cost of the construction itself ran to €286 million but financing costs raised that figure to a total of €340 million. In addition, the city and State incurred approximately €210 million for area development and infrastructure improvements.

Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #3: Jan 27, 2011 10:03:11 pm
      I've been at Allianz Arena, brilliant stadium, especially for a modern one.
      I've been at Camp Nou aswell, brilliant stadium, F***ing huge too, I love old stadiums.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Jan 27, 2011 10:04:20 pm
      Big fan of the Allianz. Great footballing stadium.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5: Jan 27, 2011 10:21:23 pm
      I love Camp Nou and been there if only for a tour but from watching on TV I would love to go to a game at this stadium.

Westfalenstadion

Looks awesome.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #6: Feb 02, 2011 10:25:23 am
      The Westfalenstadion in Dortmund, Germany is supposed to be good and very atmospheric.

Personal favourite is the Nou Camp though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: Feb 03, 2011 08:39:01 pm
      The Westfalenstadion in Dortmund, Germany is supposed to be good and very atmospheric.

Having been there in 2001, I can agree with that ;)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #8: Feb 04, 2011 01:10:50 am
      Unfortunately. I have never been to Anfield, yet.   However I have been to quite a few of the great US Stadiums and arenas. 

I have seen games at the following stadiums.

Wrigley Field...Bleachers....Chi cago
      Yankee Stadium (Old)....NY
      Fenway Park....Boston
      Turner Field...Atlanta
      Veterans Stadium...Philadelphia.. .Demolished 2004......THANK GOD!!!!!   sh*t hole.
      Giants Stadium.....NJ
      Comiskey Park....Chicago.....Demo lished 1991
      Tiger Stadium....Detroit....De molished 2009
      Municipal Stadium....Cleveland  Demolished 1998

Madison Square Garden....NYC
      Boston Garden...Boston...Boston  Demolished 1994

This list makes up the majority of the classic American stadiums and arenas built at the start of the 20th century.  Classic architecture, great feel and ambiance.

My favorite, so far has been 2.   Boston Garden was a mecca. I am a big Celtics fan and was lucky enough to see them play back in the early 80's with that classic lineup. The Garden was such a great place to see a game.  Small, confined, great sounds and history as great as Liverpools. Truly remarkable arena.

Wrigley Field....A lot of personal memories with me and my father going to Cubs games in the middle of the summer. The park is beautiful and its classic.Ivy covered walls and brick facade around the field. Old manual scoreboard. Good beer and food. The best day out. Fans are great. 

The best Baseball Park in the world. Game day environment is like Mardi gras.  Enough said.

WRIGLEY FIELD

JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      Reply #9: Feb 04, 2011 04:18:02 pm
      Aviva Stadium

Looks like a great stadium. Hopefully we'll be there in May.

NorthernIrishRed
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 195 posts |
      Reply #10: Feb 05, 2011 09:48:14 pm
      Windsor Park. ;)
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #11: Feb 13, 2011 07:52:41 pm
      Unfortunately. I have never been to Anfield, yet.   However I have been to quite a few of the great US Stadiums and arenas.  

I have seen games at the following stadiums.

Wrigley Field...Bleachers....Chi cago
      Yankee Stadium (Old)....NY
      Fenway Park....Boston
      Turner Field...Atlanta
      Veterans Stadium...Philadelphia.. .Demolished 2004......THANK GOD!!!!!   sh*t hole.
      Giants Stadium.....NJ
      Comiskey Park....Chicago.....Demo lished 1991
      Tiger Stadium....Detroit....De molished 2009
      Municipal Stadium....Cleveland  Demolished 1998

Madison Square Garden....NYC
      Boston Garden...Boston...Boston  Demolished 1994

This list makes up the majority of the classic American stadiums and arenas built at the start of the 20th century.  Classic architecture, great feel and ambiance.

My favorite, so far has been 2.   Boston Garden was a mecca. I am a big Celtics fan and was lucky enough to see them play back in the early 80's with that classic lineup. The Garden was such a great place to see a game.  Small, confined, great sounds and history as great as Liverpools. Truly remarkable arena.

Wrigley Field....A lot of personal memories with me and my father going to Cubs games in the middle of the summer. The park is beautiful and its classic.Ivy covered walls and brick facade around the field. Old manual scoreboard. Good beer and food. The best day out. Fans are great.  

The best Baseball Park in the world. Game day environment is like Mardi gras.  Enough said.

WRIGLEY FIELD

Wrigley is definitely great. Along with Fenway - the two best baseball parks.

I agree with the old Boston Garden. It was crumbling when I was there, but wow what atmosphere. The upper deck hung closely over the court (or ice when the Bruins played). I recall sitting in the front row of the balcony on a corner during a Celtics playoff game in the 1980s and I was half ecstatic and half terrified. The balcony was shaking and also swaying slightly at our corner as people jumped around. It was like being on a good roller coaster -- you knew it wouldn't collapse but your mind worried it would.  :f_wah: The replacement arena has no soul and if you are on the upper levels you are a mile from the action. It's a shame.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #12: Feb 13, 2011 11:34:38 pm
      Another two stadiums which appear to create brilliant atmospheres when I've seen them on TV are these

Mestalla

And La Bombonera ( Boca Juniors)

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Feb 13, 2011 11:39:20 pm

Looks like they run out of funding half way through the build, don't you think ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #14: Feb 13, 2011 11:42:21 pm

Looks like they run out of funding half way through the build, don't you think ;D

It does mate!

Apparently the vertical stand sways from side to side when the other fans are jumping up and down.

I remember seeing it on a documentary about Maradona and the atmosphere looked electric.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #15: Feb 14, 2011 02:14:21 am
      Aviva Stadium

Looks like a great stadium. Hopefully we'll be there in May.

Hope we don't get given this end though!

KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #16: Feb 14, 2011 03:25:49 pm
      Cowboys Stadium, pretty much America's version of Wembley in the fact of the time and money it took to build. I dislike most of the things about Jerry Jones and his organisation, but it's hard not to admire the stadium itself. Modern, technological, great.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #17: Feb 14, 2011 06:27:49 pm
      Maracanã.

One of the most important stadiums in football history.

It's like a 2nd home to me, only 10 minutes from my house. I'm missing it a lot since it's been under repairs for the WC 2014, but it's gonna be even better when it's done.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #18: Feb 14, 2011 07:42:33 pm
      Maracanã.

One of the most important stadiums in football history.

It's like a 2nd home to me, only 10 minutes from my house. I'm missing it a lot since it's been under repairs for the WC 2014, but it's gonna be even better when it's done.

One stadium I really would like to visit, just for all the great players that have played there.

And that top pic is F***ing brilliant, I love flares!!
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      Reply #19: Feb 15, 2011 12:56:06 pm
      Hope we don't get given this end though!

That end would bee good ;), To get the atmosphere going and the banners tied up on the bit behind it.
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 15, 2011 01:53:47 pm
      I went to Prague one month ago. I took a trip to Strahov Stadium. Imagine 9 football pitches and stands all around. F*ck yeah, a capacity of 250 000 !!

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #21: Feb 18, 2011 09:36:55 pm
      Wrigley is definitely great. Along with Fenway - the two best baseball parks.

I agree with the old Boston Garden. It was crumbling when I was there, but wow what atmosphere. The upper deck hung closely over the court (or ice when the Bruins played). I recall sitting in the front row of the balcony on a corner during a Celtics playoff game in the 1980s and I was half ecstatic and half terrified. The balcony was shaking and also swaying slightly at our corner as people jumped around. It was like being on a good roller coaster -- you knew it wouldn't collapse but your mind worried it would.  :f_wah: The replacement arena has no soul and if you are on the upper levels you are a mile from the action. It's a shame.
      It had a great feel to it  It had no AC in it so during the playoffs in NBA that had giant fans at either end of the arena and opened the doors to circulate air. When the Bruins played and it was hot the arena would fog up from the ice. The facilities were awful but it was such a great arena.

I dont know how it happened but we got away from the classic arena and stadium feels for corporate monstrosities of glass and aluminum. We need more Fenway's and Gardens and Wrigley Fields.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #22: Feb 20, 2011 03:57:31 pm
      One stadium I really would like to visit, just for all the great players that have played there.

And that top pic is f**king brilliant, I love flares!!

Flamengo - Entrada do Mengão - Mengão Hexacampeão!!! (Fla x Grêmio - 06/12/2009)

Maior mosaico do mundo - Flamengo / Olympikus.

Quick Reply